RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Dallas Wings 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 131
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy,

According to the WNBA Salary Database, she is a free agent in 2019....unless I missed something?


DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 131
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades,

LMAO, you know us so well!!!!!!!!!


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18179



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince has been proven to not be good PG in the W. She's most useful at SG. Plus I think she's on the decline. Maybe Dallas can get Clarendon in a trade? Leilani Mitchell?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50154



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well a veteran combo guard substituting for a starting combo guard isn’t the wildest idea until the combo guard of choice comes back.

Dallas already owns the rights to another combo guard in Hill. I’m sure Agler will respect her skills more than WNBA fans. They both have the state of Ohio connections. Agler probably scouted her plenty in her days at Ohio St.

Agler seems pretty good at spotting those overseas candidates. Maybe he’ll have dibs on Dabovic or some other international prospect.

Dallas has plenty of options. It’s just a matter of sorting through them. About the worst idea would be to draft a PG to start. Draft a backup for sure, if you come across somebody you like. It’s not exactly a strong draft for PG’s. Can’t reach for somebody at #5. Maybe find somebody at #17 or #22.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 4691
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy,

According to the WNBA Salary Database, she is a free agent in 2019....unless I missed something?


Gray is a restricted free agent, which means LA can simply match any offer -- and they would.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18179



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can get a back up at #17. No PG in this draft is starter quality unless Ionescu declares.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58115
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Vandersloot is cored, the best bet for Dallas is to try to lure Briann January or Jasmine Thomas for a one year rental. I tend to think January is more likely to accept a one year deal.



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1215
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Assuming Vandersloot is cored, the best bet for Dallas is to try to lure Briann January or Jasmine Thomas for a one year rental. I tend to think January is more likely to accept a one year deal.

I doubt either player is likely to leave their current situation.


DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 131
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing,

Thanks for clearing that up...


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20874
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy,

According to the WNBA Salary Database, she is a free agent in 2019....unless I missed something?

You need six years of WNBA experience to be an unrestricted free agent. If you're out of contract before that, you're restricted (or reserved, if you've got under three years). So while she might be a free agent, she's not really available.

That said, several players have decided that that's the reasonable time to press for a trade, should they wish to be somewhere else.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8848



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy,

According to the WNBA Salary Database, she is a free agent in 2019....unless I missed something?

You need six years of WNBA experience to be an unrestricted free agent. If you're out of contract before that, you're restricted (or reserved, if you've got under three years). So while she might be a free agent, she's not really available.

That said, several players have decided that that's the reasonable time to press for a trade, should they wish to be somewhere else.


But why would any player want to leave LA? It is the glamour destination in the WNBA. I recall an interview they did on all the Dream players asking them their favorite road city to visit. Nearly all of them said LA. Not much of a reach to think they wouldn't all love spending their summers in LA.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58115
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
pilight wrote:
Assuming Vandersloot is cored, the best bet for Dallas is to try to lure Briann January or Jasmine Thomas for a one year rental. I tend to think January is more likely to accept a one year deal.

I doubt either player is likely to leave their current situation.


I tend to agree, but it's certainly worth a phone call for Dallas.



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18179



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You take who's likely available and eliminate from there. Am I missing anyone?

Courtney Vandersloot(UFA) - likely cored
Jamierra Faulkner(RFA) - injury prone
Jasmine Thomas(UFA) - best option
Cappie Pondexter(UFA) - old
Lindsey Allen(RFA) - serviceable backup
Odyssey Sims(RFA) - likely will get the max from LA.
Chelsea Gray(RFA) - max deal from LA.
Brittany Boyd(RFA) - possible max from NY.
Briann January(UFA) - likely stays in Phoenix until she retires.
Natasha Cloud(RFA) - gets max deal from WAS.
Erica Wheeler(RFA) - possible signing for Dallas.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58115
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
But why would any player want to leave LA?



Ask Kristi Toliver



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1215
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
You take who's likely available and eliminate from there. Am I missing anyone?

Courtney Vandersloot(UFA) - likely cored
Jamierra Faulkner(RFA) - injury prone
Jasmine Thomas(UFA) - best option
Cappie Pondexter(UFA) - old
Lindsey Allen(RFA) - serviceable backup
Odyssey Sims(RFA) - likely will get the max from LA.
Chelsea Gray(RFA) - max deal from LA.
Brittany Boyd(RFA) - possible max from NY.
Briann January(UFA) - likely stays in Phoenix until she retires.
Natasha Cloud(RFA) - gets max deal from WAS.
Erica Wheeler(RFA) - possible signing for Dallas.

Wheeler and Allen probably aren't too exciting for Wings fans but it sounds like a reasonable stopgap PG rotation for next season.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18179



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
toad455 wrote:
You take who's likely available and eliminate from there. Am I missing anyone?

Courtney Vandersloot(UFA) - likely cored
Jamierra Faulkner(RFA) - injury prone
Jasmine Thomas(UFA) - best option
Cappie Pondexter(UFA) - old
Lindsey Allen(RFA) - serviceable backup
Odyssey Sims(RFA) - likely will get the max from LA.
Chelsea Gray(RFA) - max deal from LA.
Brittany Boyd(RFA) - possible max from NY.
Briann January(UFA) - likely stays in Phoenix until she retires.
Natasha Cloud(RFA) - gets max deal from WAS.
Erica Wheeler(RFA) - possible signing for Dallas.

Wheeler and Allen probably aren't too exciting for Wings fans but it sounds like a reasonable stopgap PG rotation for next season.


Wheeler's my second choice after Jasmine Thomas. Options are limited.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
DFWub2018



Joined: 24 Aug 2018
Posts: 131
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy,

Who do you think would be a good fit for us and why?


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8848



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
toad455 wrote:
You take who's likely available and eliminate from there. Am I missing anyone?

Courtney Vandersloot(UFA) - likely cored
Jamierra Faulkner(RFA) - injury prone
Jasmine Thomas(UFA) - best option
Cappie Pondexter(UFA) - old
Lindsey Allen(RFA) - serviceable backup
Odyssey Sims(RFA) - likely will get the max from LA.
Chelsea Gray(RFA) - max deal from LA.
Brittany Boyd(RFA) - possible max from NY.
Briann January(UFA) - likely stays in Phoenix until she retires.
Natasha Cloud(RFA) - gets max deal from WAS.
Erica Wheeler(RFA) - possible signing for Dallas.

Wheeler and Allen probably aren't too exciting for Wings fans but it sounds like a reasonable stopgap PG rotation for next season.


Wheeler's my second choice after Jasmine Thomas. Options are limited.


Sun has no other UFA and enough cap space so they could core J. Thomas. Leaves them a bit tight on cap space but B. Jones if not Tuck and Banham could easily be replaced or traded to make a little more room should they need it.


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8848



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/23/18 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
But why would any player want to leave LA?



Ask Kristi Toliver


I think she wanted to be closer to her home in Slovakia.


J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4874



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This looks like another possible landing spot for Jefferson who is doing well over-seas and will be another year away from her injury. I still don't see Laimbeer keeping Jefferson with the emergence of Plum and L. Allen as a very reasonable back up, and I could see Agler trusting Jefferson from day 1.

Hill and #17
or
Davis and #17
or
Christmas and #17

A bigger guard/wing and a 2nd round pick might be enough to get it done.

Jefferson could start in Dallas, back up Skylar when she returns and/or allow Diggins-Smith to play some minutes at the two spot off the ball.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50154



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Allen is most likely a reserved player, not a RFA.

Christmas is a UFA. Dallas has to decide between coring Glory Johnson and Christmas, or maybe they’ll both sign without coring? I think Christmas is a good candidate to go wherever she wants. Doesn’t she have ATL ties?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20874
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy,

Who do you think would be a good fit for us and why?

If Cambage and Diggins-Smith are both going to miss the season (or most of it), frankly your best option might be to tank (and in a truly ideal world end up with an Ionescu/Diggins-Smith backcourt). The problem is that Agler's teams have traditionally been terrible at tanking. He take a collection of mediocre talent and makes them good enough to be average rather than terrible.

All of that said, you can usually find a stop-gap vet PG sitting around on their couch waiting for a phone call without too much trouble. You just might not know who it is yet.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8848



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lindsay Allen is most likely a reserved player, not a RFA.

Christmas is a UFA. Dallas has to decide between coring Glory Johnson and Christmas, or maybe they’ll both sign without coring? I think Christmas is a good candidate to go wherever she wants. Doesn’t she have ATL ties?


Her husband is a teacher or coach at a local school. With Angel recovering from an ACL injury Christmas might be a logical addition to the Dream. The question is do we want 2 players for the same position both recovering from ACL injuries?

I'd take a look at a deal for Davis maybe giving up as little as possible.




Last edited by Randy on 12/24/18 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18179



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy,

Who do you think would be a good fit for us and why?

If Cambage and Diggins-Smith are both going to miss the season (or most of it), frankly your best option might be to tank (and in a truly ideal world end up with an Ionescu/Diggins-Smith backcourt). The problem is that Agler's teams have traditionally been terrible at tanking. He take a collection of mediocre talent and makes them good enough to be average rather than terrible.

All of that said, you can usually find a stop-gap vet PG sitting around on their couch waiting for a phone call without too much trouble. You just might not know who it is yet.


Latta?



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50154



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/24/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
Lindsay Allen is most likely a reserved player, not a RFA.

Christmas is a UFA. Dallas has to decide between coring Glory Johnson and Christmas, or maybe they’ll both sign without coring? I think Christmas is a good candidate to go wherever she wants. Doesn’t she have ATL ties?


Her husband is a teacher or coach at a local school. With Angel recovering from an ACL injury Christmas might be a logical addition to the Dream. The question is do we want 2 players for the same position both recovering from ACL injuries?



From 6/12/18
Quote:
The surgery will address what the team called an "osteochondral defect" in her right knee. She has an expected recovery time of six months.

Dallas coach Fred Williams said the team supports Christmas-Kelly's decision to have surgery and expects her to fully recover and continue her career.


Sounds like the surgery was elective, and given the mutual love shown between her and the organization, maybe she won’t have to be cored.

So if Cambage decides to come back by February, and both Christmas and Johnson are signed, probably the best move for that #5 pick would be draft one of the top guards OR trade the pick for a better than avg PG.

Is Jefferson, Plum, or Clarendon + #9 worth more than whoever may be available at #5? This is a very astute question that may need to be addressed.
You can definitely still get a gem at #9. I wouldn’t be inclined to pay #5 for Clarendon straight up, but Plum or Jefferson could be a permanent full time starter at PG, which is probably what Dallas has been looking for so they can move Diggins to SG.

Potential roster in 2019
Plum*/Hill*
Diggins*(when she gets back)/AGray*/Davis*
Christmas/Thornton
GJohnson/Stevens*/George
Cambage*/Plaisance*

*under contract


Seems like a solid lineup to me.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 12 of 23

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin