RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Uneven semifinals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/19 8:06 pm    ::: Uneven semifinals Reply Reply with quote

Is there an advantage to winning the semifinals in fewer games than your finals opponent?

We've 22 finals series. 10 of those featured two teams that played the same number of games in the semis (1997, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018).

As for the other 12...

1998 Houston swept Charlotte in the semis, Phoenix took three games to beat Cleveland. Houston won the finals.

1999 Houston swept LA in the semis, New York took three games to beat Charlotte. Houston again won the finals.

2000 Houston again swept LA in the semis, New York took three games to beat Cleveland. Houston again again won the finals.

2002 LA swept Utah in the semis, New York took three games to beat Washington. LA won the finals.

2003 Detroit swept Connecticut in the semis, LA took three games to beat Sacramento. Detroit won the finals.

2004 Connecticut swept New York in the semis, Seattle took three games to beat Sacramento. Seattle won the finals.

2006 Sacramento swept LA in the semis, Detroit took three games to beat Connecticut. Detroit won the finals.

2007 Phoenix swept San Antonio in the semis, Detroit took three games to beat Indiana. Phoenix won the finals.

2011 Minnesota swept Phoenix in the semis, Atlanta took three games to beat Indiana. Minnesota won the finals.

2012 Minnesota swept LA in the semis, Indiana took three games to beat Connecticut. Indiana won the finals.

2015 Minnesota swept Phoenix in the semis, Indiana took three games to beat New York. Minnesota won the finals.

2016 Minnesota again swept Phoenix in the semis, LA took four games to beat Chicago. LA won the finals.

That's 8-4 in favor of the teams that took fewer games in the semis. However, since the finals expanded to five games the count is 3-3.

PostPosted: 09/23/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering this! Thanks for doing the research & sharing as always, pilight.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/23/19 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The main thing that tells me is that if you're good enough to win the WNBA Finals then you're more likely to sweep someone along the way.
The old conference system further clouded things by messing with parity.

PostPosted: 09/23/19 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
The main thing that tells me is that if you're good enough to win the WNBA Finals then you're more likely to sweep someone along the way.
The old conference system further clouded things by messing with parity.

Three teams have won the championship without sweeping a playoff series; 2009 Mercury, 2012 Fever, 2016 Sparks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: