RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope the Aces make the playoffs so they can stop stealing the #1 pick. With three straight #1 picks, they better be a playoff team.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People need to remember that Laimbeer believes in defense and rebounding. With Cambage and Wilson, he has two players who were top-10 in rebounding and shot-blocking. He added Rodgers as a perimeter defender, and he drafted Young as someone he thinks can be molded into a very good defender. Jackie is already a strong rebounder for a perimeter player. Even the seemingly minor addition of Colson moves you toward better defense. I'm not saying that McBride and Plum are going to get benched, but Bill won't hesitate to pull them if they're not up to snuff defensively. In his parlance, Bill now has more "buttons" to push. So, people should view Las Vegas through the lens of Laimbeer's preference for grind it out defensive basketball. It may seem like an outdated philosophy, but he has two post players who can dominate on both ends of the court and a good enough mix of choices on the perimeter to facilitate either offense or defense. I also don't think Bill is done tweaking his roster.

On the college side, fans made the mistake of comparing Baylor to pretty offensive teams like Notre Dame, UConn, and Oregon. They never understood that Baylor was a grinding, physical defensive team. Occasionally that style resulted in a lot of points when they overwhelmed a weaker opponent. However, offense was never the main focus. I think the same will be true for the Aces. Their identity will be defense, even though they will now and then simply kick the crap out of weaker teams.

PostPosted: 05/17/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Found this excellent interview with Liz from February, about 10 minutes and well worth your time:

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/video/1485040707824/Marc-Meets-Elizabeth-Cambage

Luuuc posted that back herrre
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=95671&start=16

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 05/18/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer coming from the men's world has seen a lot worse than what Cambage could bring. Wasn't their some pride about the Detroit Shock having a lot of "bad girls"?

bballgrl

PostPosted: 05/18/19 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don’t remember Dallas being my title favorite. I think zune had them down for multiple titles..

Well, we'll never know now.

I never trusted Cambage or felt she was sincere about playing for Dallas long term. I always thought Cambage was using her return as a showcase to secure a lucrative deal in China.

Shades wrote:
I dunno... several people have the Aces going from lottery team to title contender just with the addition of Cambage.

Why not?

Stewart is out
Maya is out
Taurasi will miss a chunk of the season, Will Diana be 100% this season?
Parker will miss a chunk of the season
McCoughtry is returning from a major injury. Will Angel be 100% this season?

Top 8 teams:

Tier 1
washington
Connecticut
Los Angelas
Phoenix

Tier 2
Atlanta
Las Vegas
Minnesota

Tier 3
Seattle

Depending on how well LV's young players perform.The Aces could easily be a tier 1 team. They literally have a top three player at 3 different positions. Not many teams can say that.

After the recent trades/signings. I no longer have Chicago as my 6th/7th seed. The only way they make the playoffs is if Seattle has a bad season.

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Didn’t she have an MVP caliber player in Skylar and former all-star in Glory Johnson in Dallas?

Better coach.
Liz is in better shape.
LV has 3 legit all-stars.
Multiple teams are missing star players.

Aladyyn wrote:

Wilson isn't MVP caliber and McBride's numbers are about to take a sizeable dip. Aces also still only have 2.5 good shooters, which is problematic in 2019.

Really?....A player who put up 21p/8r/2a/2b as a rookie and finished 7th in the MVP voting isn't a MVP caliber player?.

Why will Parker miss a chunck of time?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/18/19 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is out 3-5 weeks with a hamstring

https://highposthoops.com/2019/05/14/candace-parker-3-5-weeks-injury-hamstring/

PostPosted: 05/19/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I think is scary about this team for the rest of the league is how it is now so potentially potent offensively yet is also perfect for Laimbeer's style. Both Wilson and Cambage can face the basket. Cambage can even shoot out to the 3 point line. Wilson's quickness and length complements Cambage's size on the defensive end as well.

Offensive spacing might be an issue but teams will have worse problems than having Plum, McBride and Liz all capable of shooting 3s along with Wilson and Young being solid from midrange.

We will see about chemistry and all that but Vegas is a clear championship favorite right now. Anytime you have multiple players who force double teams and can force defenses to break down, you're going to be in good shape. Add to that that Liz has become an improved passer and you have high BB IQs and willing ball movers at most positions...that's a lot of potential potency. This is also clearly the league's best rebounding team now. Not only with the bigs but with Young in that mix as well. This is a physically dominant team. I wonder if the drafting of Young took place with the potential of this trade still in the back of their minds as possibility.

I'm a little jealous, that's all I know. I wish it had broken this way for Laimbeer in NY.

PostPosted: 05/19/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No mention of Mcbride? Shes tbe sleeper of the group.

PostPosted: 05/19/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces will also have 8-9 returning players from last year. Only new players are Cambage, Jackie Young & Rodgers(& possibly Colson or Chong).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/19/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
No mention of Mcbride? Shes tbe sleeper of the group.

Not sure if you're referring to my comment but I did in the second paragraph/sentence.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chong & Harden waived after yesterday's game.

Genero36

PostPosted: 05/20/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“She did great, probably better than me as a rookie,” said A’ja Wilson, who was last season’s rookie of the year. “She can just flow with the game. The ball is in her hands and she can just do what she does best, which is attack. She’s a big guard and that’s what we need. I think that’s what our league is becoming. For her to come out and have the showing she did, I’m super proud of her. She’s just taking it all in. I understand it can be a lot, but she handled it with poise and just did what she did best.”

Quote:
“I thought she was aggressive,” McBride said. “I really liked how she played and I thought she was fearless. Coach was asking her to do a lot and it can get overwhelming as a rookie, but I think she handled it really well.

“She’s going to do a little bit of everything. She pushes the ball and gets out in transition, but she’s kind of a utility player. You can put her in a lot of different positions and she can still be successful. Her versatility is what makes her so great. At 6-foot and the body she has, she’s already ready for the WNBA.”

Quote:
Laimbeer believes Young will be able to handle it.

“She gives us something we don’t have in the starting unit as a physical presence at the guard position that can attack at all times,” he said. “We know what she can do. It’s just a matter of can she do it on the big stage.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/wnba-top-draft-pick-jackie-young-shines-in-aces-debut-1668167/

PostPosted: 05/20/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing how nicely things have fallen for Vegas this offseason. That pick was in the Cambage offer but no, either Liz or Dallas forced the process to linger, so Vegas get to give up their - likely crappy - 2020 pick instead, and get to throw Young into their mix. Even if she's ultimately not as good as they hope, she should be another rotation piece that they wouldn't have otherwise had. And this season would have to be a complete disaster for her to turn out to be worse than that 2020 selection is likely to be.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
still one cut to make I think?

Looking like it’s coming down between Colson and Nared. Colson just recently added. Not sure she’s worth keeping over Nared, who would be a good candidate off the waiver wire for a team looking for a SF or big guard. If Laimbeer thinks JYoung can run the point, then let her run the point and keep Nared.

Of course, if they can pick up a better PG than Colson in a trade for one of their bigs... or pick up an unexpected gem on the waiver wire. Maybe a Chloe Jackson for Bone? Of course, she’s no guarantee either. Maybe pick up Mitchell for future consideration, but they already gave up their second round pick in the Cambage deal.

Yet another team with difficult choices to complete their roster.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/19 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring a divorce agreement with Bone that saves them a bunch (or the unlikely possibility that anyone else would take that contract), I think their only real options for that final cut are Colson or Swords. The others are either guaranteed or don't save them enough to get under the cap (or are obvious non-candidates).

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
still one cut to make I think?

Looking like it’s coming down between Colson and Nared. Colson just recently added. Not sure she’s worth keeping over Nared, who would be a good candidate off the waiver wire for a team looking for a SF or big guard. If Laimbeer thinks JYoung can run the point, then let her run the point and keep Nared.

Of course, if they can pick up a better PG than Colson in a trade for one of their bigs... or pick up an unexpected gem on the waiver wire. Maybe a Chloe Jackson for Bone? Of course, she’s no guarantee either. Maybe pick up Mitchell for future consideration, but they already gave up their second round pick in the Cambage deal.

Yet another team with difficult choices to complete their roster.

JYoung had 1 assist and 4 TOs in that preseason game...not exactly what you're looking for in a PG. But they do keep calling her a PG. Meanwhile McBride and Plum both had good assists with 1 TO apiece. JYoung is really a SF who can drive and has good moves to get short jumpers....but a PG she is not....yet. I got a kick out of the announcer calling her the PG, but every time the ball was coming up the floor, it was "Plum brings the ball into the frontcourt and passes to...."

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Barring a divorce agreement with Bone that saves them a bunch (or the unlikely possibility that anyone else would take that contract), I think their only real options for that final cut are Colson or Swords. The others are either guaranteed or don't save them enough to get under the cap (or are obvious non-candidates).

Pretty hard to cut Swords, I would think. I assume you're talking salary as the reason for Colson or Swords rather than Nared. They could cut Colson in the short run and pick her or another backup up later if Plum gets injured or it becomes obvious JYoung or TYoung (who they tried there for awhile in the preseason game- shudder) isn't a PG. Maybe they could afford someone pro-rated after a few weeks go by? It's ironic that we thought they were over-stocked with PGs and now they may be down to one.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Pretty hard to cut Swords, I would think. I assume you're talking salary as the reason for Colson or Swords rather than Nared. They could cut Colson in the short run and pick her or another backup up later if Plum gets injured or it becomes obvious JYoung or TYoung (who they tried there for awhile in the preseason game- shudder) isn't a PG. Maybe they could afford someone pro-rated after a few weeks go by? It's ironic that we thought they were over-stocked with PGs and now they may be down to one.

Yeah, the total I got to was around $1,047,000 for the 13 (assuming Jefferson sits the year out so they can suspend her - otherwise things get more complicated). With the cap at 996k, cutting someone like Nared or Park who only make 43k isn't enough. But Colson's on at least 56k (vet minimum) which gets you there.

They've really got too many centers at this point, but Bone's the one you'd want to cut, and they gave her guaranteed money (again, all assuming Megdal's sheet is correct). So positionally Swords kinda makes sense as a cut, but I agree that Colson is the one most likely to go.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allen getting hurt kinda ruined the perfect scenario for them. They probably want her long term. I’m just skeptical that keeping Colson when you’re going to avoid using her isn’t worth cutting Nared. But maybe he doesn’t think much of Nared and it’s not that much of an issue for him.

I know Laimbeer likes big players, but they have roster imbalance.
They basically have 6 posts (including Hamby), 3 SF, and 4 guards right now.

If you feel comfortable slotting Hamby at SF, you’re still heavy in the forwards.

Laimbeer apparently gave Hamby a three year max guaranteed contract. I guess he didn’t learn anything from the Bone signing. Wink If Laimbeer has that amount of enthusiasm for Hamby, I would think he sees her as Wilson’s primary backup.

Six posts when two of them are Wilson and Cambage is too much.

If Cambage indicated long term commitment, Park is another player that’s fairly expendable. You’d feel bad to put a damper on her WNBA dream, but adding Cambage kinda does that anyway. And finding another center at her level in the future shouldn’t be that difficult. That French center that has been getting overlooked comes to mind.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/20/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas might need another center? Maybe Vegas can unload Park on them for a third round pick?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/20/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Dallas might need another center? Maybe Vegas can unload Park on them for a third round pick?

I was thinking for Wiese, who has some versatility. People seem to forget she was a PG in college. Ideal PG? Probably not, but since when does Laimbeer like ideal PG’s? He likes combo guards.

Mabrey? She kinda fits the bad girl attitude, but she’s a rookie.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally forgot about the S.Rodgers signing. She had her best seasons under B.Laimbeer. Rodgers is a career 35% three pt shooter and a very good defender. She's going to get a ton of open looks playing with Cambage/Wilson. The Aces are my favorite to win the Championship this season.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/21/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455,

Bingo, I've been saying for awhile now that I want Park in a Wings uniform 🤓

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 05/21/19 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455,

I forgot we gave our 3rd to Atlanta for Imani....

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/21/19 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HIGH POST HOOPS (Ben Dull): Liz Cambage Officially Arrives in Las Vegas

https://highposthoops.com/2019/05/21/liz-cambage-officially-arrives-las-vegas-aces/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: