RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Australian Opals 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/16/19 8:30 pm    ::: Australian Opals 2019 Reply Reply with quote

Next major event on the Opals calendar is the FIBA Women's Asia Cup - September 22-29th
Quote:
The Opals will get together for a camp on the Gold Coast from April 12-18 and a second camp will be held in Phoenix, Arizona from July 20-31 before the team for the Asia Cup is announced in August.

Recently-announced, surprisingly Mangakahia-less, Opals training squad is:

Tessa Lavey
Lauren Mansfield
Leilani Mitchell
Nicole Seekamp
Kristy Wallace*
Tess Madgen
Katie Ebzery
Sami Whitcomb
Tahlia Tupaea
Rebecca Cole
Alex Wilson*
Stephanie Blicavs
Lauren Nicholson
Stephanie Talbot
Rebecca Allen
Jenna O'Hea
Abby Bishop
Sara Blicavs
Kelsey Griffin
Alanna Smith
Darcee Garbin
Cayla George
Eziyoda Magbegor
Alex Bunton*
Marianna Tolo
Lauren Scherf
Elizabeth Cambage

* players who are injured at the time of the squad announcement

PostPosted: 01/16/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing Mangakahia is excluded due to college?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/16/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

That hasn't prevented Alanna Smith from being named in the past (or this time) so I doubt that's the reason.
They've named Wallace & Wilson, who have both recently torn their ACLs, so unavailability to play any time soon doesn't seem to be a factor either.

PostPosted: 01/16/19 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seekamp used to be a decent big PG at South Dakota. Never understood why she didn’t draw interest in the draft, unless she wasn’t interested in the WNBA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/16/19 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Seekamp used to be a decent big PG at South Dakota. Never understood why she didn’t draw interest in the draft, unless she wasn’t interested in the WNBA.

I can't speak for her college career but she looks as good as anyone in that squad not named Leilani right now, so I'm hoping she makes the 12 this year.
I just wish her jump shot was a little better.

PostPosted: 01/16/19 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That hasn't prevented Alanna Smith from being named in the past (or this time) so I doubt that's the reason.
They've named Wallace & Wilson, who have both recently torn their ACLs, so unavailability to play any time soon doesn't seem to be a factor either.

Has she been involved in the younger teams? That sometimes is a big factor for US players. Though I would think Sandy would be aware of her and would like to take any eligible player who she thought might be able to help.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/16/19 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Has she been involved in the younger teams? That sometimes is a big factor for US players. Though I would think Sandy would be aware of her and would like to take any eligible player who she thought might be able to help.

Yep, she was a regular in the various national teams at as youngster.

PostPosted: 01/16/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chemist Warehouse may not have Mangakahia (where is that name from - indigenous?) on their list, but they are following her college exploits:

Quote:
Basketball Australia

@BasketballAus
COLLEGE | The accolades continue in 2018/19 for Alanna Smith and @Tianamanga with both players earning conference Player of the Week awards for @StanfordWBB and @CuseWBB respectively!

Recap the week for women in college via @PickandRollAU: https://pickandroll.com.au/ncaa-women-mangakahia-and-smith-earn-conference-player-of-the-week-awards/

pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Mangakahia (where is that name from - indigenous?)

Presumably it is from New Zealand, location of the Mangakahia river

PostPosted: 01/17/19 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

Not to be confused with the Monongahela, which would make her from Pittsburgh. Smile

PostPosted: 01/17/19 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

Not to be confused with the Monongahela, which would make her from Pittsburgh. Smile

I am glad you said that because I was wondering why I could recall hearing about a "New Zealand river" back when I was a kid.

przemoe

PostPosted: 01/30/19 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This probably is the best place

Bec Allen has torn probably MCL (rather not ACL) in her knee a week ago. She's headed home this week, as she's done for the season.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/30/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
This probably is the best place

Bec Allen has torn probably MCL (rather not ACL) in her knee a week ago. She's headed home this week, as she's done for the season.

Thanks for the update

PostPosted: 02/27/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While not the Opals, I figured this was the best place to discuss the Gems and Duke freshman Miela Goodchild)

--- This past summer, Duke freshman Miela Goodchild guided Australia to the bronze medal of the FIBA Under-18 Asian Championship in India with a 75-58 victory over Korea in the third place game. For the tournament, Goodchild averaged 17.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 3.0 steals. Her 17.7 points per game ranked first in the championship. Her rebounding and assist numbers ranked 11th and 12th, respectively. Her 3.0 steals were fourth-best in the competition.

--- With Australia advancing to the semifinals in the Asian Championship, the Gems qualified for the 2019 Under-19 World Cup, which will be held in Thailand from July 20-28.

--- On February 20, 2019, Miela Goodchild was named one of 24 players selected to the Australian Gems squad that will gather May 5-7 in Canberra in preparations for the 2019 FIBA Under-19 World Cup that will be held in Bangkok, Thailand from July 20-28.

Link (GoDuke.com):
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211791667

In addition to Goodchild, the list of 24 players includes Jazmin Shelley, who was announced as the WNBL’s Rookie of the Year earlier this month. Isobel Anstey, who averaged 11.5 ppg and 9.0 rpg at the FIBA Under-18 Asian Championship, was also named to the player watch list, as was Agnes Emma-Nnopu, who averaged 8.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 3.0 spg, and 1.5 bpg at the FIBA U18 Asian Championship.

Link (Basketball Australia):
https://australia.basketball/gems-squad-announced-for-2019-fiba-under-19-world-cup/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/27/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shades wrote:

I can't speak for her college career but she looks as good as anyone in that squad not named Leilani right now, so I'm hoping she makes the 12 this year.
I just wish her jump shot was a little better.

Dallas Wings Sign Nicole Seekamp

Originally from Renmark, South Australia, Australia, Seekamp played collegiately for the University of South Dakota from 2011 to 2016 and currently plays for the Adelaide Lightning of the Women’s National Basketball League (WNBL). The 5-foot-10-inch guard averaged 12.2 points, five rebounds and six assists per game this season, helping the Lightning make the WNBL Grand Final. Seekamp also played alongside Wings center Cayla George in The 2018 Commonwealth Games when Australia took home gold.

As far as her jump shot goes, she also holds the record for best career free throw percentage in South Dakota's history (.858) (in addition to being named the 2015-16 Summit League POY). Was her WNBL shot a matter of not having a quick enough release time? Not being able to create off the dribble? Taking bad/contested shots?

https://wings.wnba.com/news/wings-sign-nicole-seekamp/

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/27/19 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen Miela in action this season but her numbers have been unavoidable on aussie bball twitter. Sounds like she is off to a very nice start at Duke.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
As far as her jump shot goes, she also holds the record for best career free throw percentage in South Dakota's history (.858) (in addition to being named the 2015-16 Summit League POY). Was her WNBL shot a matter of not having a quick enough release time? Not being able to create off the dribble? Taking bad/contested shots?

She's had a very solid FT% in the WNBL too, so no issues there at all. As an opponent you don't want to send her to the line.
But in general play, putting aside that her release is weird-looking, it's also low, kinda slow, and just not fluid. Her percentages aren't actually that bad (FG% .44, 3P% .40 this season) but that's helped by her being good around the basket, and being selective with jump shot attempts (which admittedly is not the worst thing for a pass-first guard). On open shots with feet set she's ok.
When I think of her in an Opals or WNBA context, shooting seems like the area that will determine her ceiling, because she's got the other areas of her game pretty well covered. I guess from a Wings point of view that makes her the exact opposite of Cayla George.
Bottom line though I'm a big fan of hers. I like the way she plays, she's a no-fuss player who works her butt off. I really hope she sticks.

Brief Seekamp radio interview: https://twitter.com/RSNBreakfast/status/1100923538201022464

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So as not to further torment the #WFFLs I will put this Liz Cambage interview here in the Opals thread

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/abkHy_wYrg0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

--

[ETA] While I'm here I might as well post the final squad for the first training camp, which sees the previous unexpected omission of Mangakahia rectified.
Quote:
Zitina Aokuso - JCU Townsville Fire
Rebecca Cole - Free Agent (Jayco Rangers)
Katie Ebzery - Perth Lynx
Cayla George - Deakin Melbourne Boomers
Tessa Lavey - Bendigo Bank Spirit
Tess Madgen - JCU Townsville Fire
Eziyoda Magbegor - Deakin Melbourne Boomers
Tiana Mangakahia - Syracuse Orange (USA)
Leilani Mitchell - Free Agent (University of Canberra Capitals
Lauren Nicholson - MAC Adelaide Lightning
Jenna O'Hea - Free Agent (Deakin Melbourne Boomers)
Lauren Scherf - Free Agent (University of Canberra Capitals)
Nicole Seekamp - Free Agent (MAC Adelaide Lightning)
Stephanie Talbot - MAC Adelaide Lightning
Marianna Tolo - University of Canberra Capitals

Quote:
The camp is the first step in a big year for the Opals that includes the 2019 FIBA Asia Cup and the start of the FIBA qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics and 2022 FIBA World Cup.
Held from April 12-18, the Gold Coast camp will be followed by a camp in Phoenix, Arizona from July 20-31 before the team for the Asia Cup is announced in August.

https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/04/08/opals-squad-list-announced-first-camp-2019/

PostPosted: 04/11/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/abkHy_wYrg0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10:09: LC: "I'm here and I am getting ready to head back to the WNBA, the start of May".

10:52: A1: "You know how sometimes you get athletes who are just like, 'Hey, I just want to be an athlete, I don't want to do interviews, they're not really my thing'? She seems like the opposite of that".

A2: "She's literally the opposite of that".

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/24/19 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun interview from aussie tv this evening:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uJRK3YtMd8w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 04/24/19 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage seems all too sure she's heading to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/19 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alternative view: she's definitely expecting to be heading to the US in a couple of weeks. So if they tell her there's no deal, does that mean rocking up to Wings camp is the option ahead of sitting out?

PostPosted: 04/24/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Alternative view: she's definitely expecting to be heading to the US in a couple of weeks. So if they tell her there's no deal, does that mean rocking up to Wings camp is the option ahead of sitting out?

Or going to another team will a better deal(i.e. Las Vegas)?

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real question is who is asking Liz to keep quiet? She's under contract to Dallas, so if LA talks to her without permission then that's tampering. Or is the WNBA League Office now involved?

PostPosted: 04/24/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's more so Liz knows her agent is talking to several teams regarding a trade. A trade happens and she's showing up.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/24/19 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"You know I have to be a good girl for once in my life and just be patient. But I will be heading back in a couple of weeks."
--------------------
"What did you mother do to encourage you through all of that?"
"She told me that once I made my first basket in a game she'd give me $10 and I'd get to choose which movie to go to."
"And I think that is the same pay in the WNBA now."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: