RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing. I prefer Durr over KLS. Anigwe may be available at #14.

PG: Boyd/L. Allen(off waivers)
SG: Durr/Rodgers/Hartley
SF: Nurse/free agent
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Zahui B./Anigwe/Stokes

I would like this very much.

But I agree with Root Anigwe isn't making it out of the first round.

Maybe something like Hartley and #14 would be enough to move up to Conn or Washington's first round pick.

I also want to give Brown a chance to impress me this season, and McCowan (but for some reason I am just not feeling her ATM).

My latest idea which I don't see happening is the #2 pick for Deshields, but I don't see why Chicago does that unless the new coach/gm doesn't like Diamond or desperately wants to start Gabby at the 3.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/05/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/msg-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-spin-off-the-knicks-and-rangers/

Quote:
MSG, meanwhile, reiterated Thursday it is exploring a sale for its WNBA team, the New York Liberty, a plan it announced last November.

Quote:
“Under Jim’s leadership, MSG has generated significant value for shareholders, nearly doubling MSG’s stock price, equating to an increase of $3.5 billion in market cap, since MSG was spun from MSG Networks in 2015,” a spokeswoman said.

“Now Jim is charting the company’s path for future growth, driven by the creation of state-of-the-art live entertainment venues.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/05/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/msg-moving-ahead-with-plans-to-spin-off-the-knicks-and-rangers/

Quote:
MSG, meanwhile, reiterated Thursday it is exploring a sale for its WNBA team, the New York Liberty, a plan it announced last November.

Quote:
“Under Jim’s leadership, MSG has generated significant value for shareholders, nearly doubling MSG’s stock price, equating to an increase of $3.5 billion in market cap, since MSG was spun from MSG Networks in 2015,” a spokeswoman said.

“Now Jim is charting the company’s path for future growth, driven by the creation of state-of-the-art live entertainment venues.”

I'm sure the new WNBA president will discuss all those "prospective buyers" out there ... just as every WNBA president has said in similar situations.

In this case, as in others before it, the lack of interest/value of the franchise could conceivably result in the folding of the whole operation. I sure hope not, and would love to hear some positive news from those closer to the situation.

PostPosted: 10/05/18 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure the new WNBA president will discuss all those "prospective buyers" out there ... just as every WNBA president has said in similar situations.

In this case, as in others before it, the lack of interest/value of the franchise could conceivably result in the folding of the whole operation. I sure hope not, and would love to hear some positive news from those closer to the situation.

Stephen A. Smith & Max Kellerman [hard-core Knicks fans] both
revile James L. Dolan!!! Let that sink into your brain for a moment.
A man that owns one of the PRIMER sports properties in the WORLD
is a DOLT. This man is a living breathing saboteur of the New York
Knicks. To expect his "leadership" to build the Liberty into a winning
WNBA franchise is to believe in pink unicorns that fart pixe dust.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/05/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems like the spin off plan is to sell the teams then charge them a rent for using MSG. So MSG makes more money while the teams are possibly losing money.

As for the Liberty - not clear from the article if they would be part of the spin off or the idea is sell them before the spin off.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/05/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best case scenario for the Liberty is their new owner moves them to Brooklyn (Barclays).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/05/18 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Seems like the spin off plan is to sell the teams then charge them a rent for using MSG. So MSG makes more money while the teams are possibly losing money.

As for the Liberty - not clear from the article if they would be part of the spin off or the idea is sell them before the spin off.

When you do a spin-off, the new entity belongs to the current stockholders. They're hoping that the sum of the parts will be worth more than the whole. It's all about market capitalization as reflected in the stock price. Imagine you have a sandwich, a bag of chips, and a soda in your lunchbox. You take them out of the lunchbox and put them on your desk so everyone can see them. Hopefully, someone hungry walks by and offers you a lot of money for the sandwich, someone thirsty offers you a lot of money for the soda, and someone with the munchies offers you a lot for the chips. Greater and clearer visibility will help you capture the real value of the asset -- at least that's the theory.

Some of the big shareholders are looking at the astronomical prices being paid for sports franchises, and they want to cash in. However, Dolan wants to hold on to the teams because it makes him a big man in town. This is his way of trying to have his cake and eat it too. As a point of reference, the Atlanta Braves are publicly traded as The Liberty Braves Group (BATRA). According to Yahoo Finance, their current market cap is $1.343 billion. The Florida Marlins were sold last year for $1.2 billion. I'm not sure how the assets compare in terms of what is included -- for instance, BATRA includes a mixed-use development next to the stadium -- so it may be apples and oranges. However, my gut reaction is that the Braves should be worth more than a 12% premium over the Marlins. So, public trading of a team may not get you as much as selling the entire team to a private ownership group.

And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Randy

PostPosted: 10/05/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining that. BTW - the Braves are a "tracking stock" which seems a bit different. Don't know about the Marlins.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/05/18 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Thanks for explaining that. BTW - the Braves are a "tracking stock" which seems a bit different. Don't know about the Marlins.

Good point. I've had very little experience with tracking stocks. When Dell merged with EMC, we were issued a tracking stock for VMware because it was believed to have great potential value that was very hard to price. I'm sure some Finance professor could explain to you the finer points of risk associated with owning the tracking stock versus having a claim on the assets. To be honest, I just treated it like a regular stock. One could argue that a tracking stock is another route Dolan could have taken. Either way, I still don't think you'll get top dollar for a team until you sell the whole thing to someone who wants full control. The ego boost for the new owner is what gets them to overpay... that and the fact that there is always a "greater fool" down the road who will buy the team for an even higher price.

And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
tfan

PostPosted: 10/30/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpf6T0GAe7I/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<clicks link> ... Oooooooooo Naahhhhh !!

I'd pay to see this fight.
Spoon can handle flagrant fouls from true heavyweights, and is 3 fight weight classes stronger.
Rousey wouldn't be more maneuverable with the heels on, and her #1 finishing move would be stymied by the jacket = slide right out. Meanwhile, she can't breathe in that dress (or so I'm told).

Very Happy Wink

Randy

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Spoon in one on one basketball, but Rousey in a fight. Both would be very one sided.

Luuuc

PostPosted: 12/04/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's quite a long Kia Nurse Q&A included in this Canadian Roundup
December's Canadian Round-Up: Kia Nurse Q&A, Keeping up with the Canadians, Chantal Vallee makes history

PostPosted: 12/05/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'd take Spoon in one on one basketball, but Rousey in a fight. Both would be very one sided.

...not if Weatherspoon has to shoot from three.

Smile

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/07/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest from Hideous Lord Jimmy, right up to his usual standard:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/politics/knicks-james-dolan-fined.html

Let's remember Anucha Browne, who was sexually harassed by Isiah Thomas. In recent years, she served as a vice president of the NCAA focusing on women's basketball championships. Now she is part of the Senior Management Team of UNICEF USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: