New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/14/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
I am amazed the draft just ended
and you guys already posting of the next ?

just saying !

There is no off season for mock drafts.

Smile

Really Rolling Eyes

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/14/19 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I re-watched the China-Australia World Cup game and seeing Alanna Smith reminded me that eight months have gone by. Everyone is assuming that Smith and Bridgette Carleton are better players after one more college season. That could also be true with Han. She put in another season in the CBA, and she also attended the NBA Academy (at their invitation). So, who knows? Han is the first member of the NBA Academy -- male or female -- to get drafted. Let's hope they taught her a few useful things.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Randy wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
I am amazed the draft just ended
and you guys already posting of the next ?

just saying !

There is no off season for mock drafts.

Smile

Really Rolling Eyes

It will end soon

Just have to wait for pre-season and then the list making obsession will switch from mock drafts to predicting roster cuts almost there

LibFan25

PostPosted: 04/15/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait until the season starts, i'm really curious to see how katie gonna play the guards and who is gonna get the most minutes

best chance to win every night:

Boyd
Durr
Nurse
Charles
Han Xu

or

Hartley
Durr
Nurse
Charles
Han Xu

3-guard lineup late games under 5 minutes, unless someone like Megan Huff surprises us or the French guard.

Defense is our main concern i can see Stokes gettin in there but she hasn't been the same to me since her rookie-2nd year

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/15/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't think xu goes straight to starter...expect stokes and zahui

PostPosted: 04/15/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

So you are expecting to be a lottery team again

PostPosted: 04/15/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

Even if she has a terrific training camp, I can't imagine any way that Han Xu is a starter for at least the first half of the season. Maybe, maybe, in the second half if she's done VERY well off the bench. But expectations should be limited for a 19-year-old player just getting started in the WNBA. Especially since concerns have been raised--from some here who've watched videos of her games--about her limited defensive skills.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's going to be interesting. Smith has shown a willingness to spread the minutes around. Maybe Han takes the opening tip because she has the highest vertical reach. Then at the first break, they bring in Zahui. If defense is needed, here comes Kiah. Have a situation where you need a tall defender? In goes Han. Or maybe if Zahui is having a bad shooting night, then Han goes in for offense. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a three-headed monster based on match-ups and game situation.

PostPosted: 04/15/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
it's going to be interesting. Smith has shown a willingness to spread the minutes around. Maybe Han takes the opening tip because she has the highest vertical reach. Then at the first break, they bring in Zahui. If defense is needed, here comes Kiah. Have a situation where you need a tall defender? In goes Han. Or maybe if Zahui is having a bad shooting night, then Han goes in for offense. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a three-headed monster based on match-ups and game situation.

It wouldn't surprise me either. It also wouldn't surprise me if the wrong head of the monster is in the game the majority of the time. Smith's substitution patterns with the bigs last year were inconsistent and bewildering to me.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see if Xu adjusts to the physical game of the league. She's a twig and can get pushed around easily. Her quickness will be her benefit versus slower centers.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, Han will have to rely on her length to get by on defense. It's mostly about ball-denial and then forcing people to shoot over her. Hopefully, they taught Xu something about positioning and defensive footwork at the NBA Academy. On the positive side, she has soft touch around the basket. Han doesn't possess great range on her shot, but being able to hit those 8-12 foot jumpers from all around the basket still opens up more scoring options. The area where being skinny will really hurt her is rebounding. However, Han mentions it during interviews (as did her coach) so she's very aware of the problem and does what she can for now to compensate.

PostPosted: 04/15/19 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The preseason game on May 9 vs. China looks to selling well for a preseason game. The Liberty really need to push their marketing around Charles, Nurse, Durr and Xu now.
thats huge since its a preseason game nothing expected...indeed may 9 and August 11th are the red letter days...wcc we get what we get...

A friend of mine is the former commissioner of a rec women's league in NYC. They often support the Libs with group outings but are really pushing this game. Also, I'm working on potentially getting that league along with some other rec sports leagues around the city to join forces and promote a major group outing for the Seattle game. I have contacts for basketball, football, softball, and soccer so I'm hoping for something significant.

PostPosted: 04/15/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me either. It also wouldn't surprise me if the wrong head of the monster is in the game the majority of the time. Smith's substitution patterns with the bigs last year were inconsistent and bewildering to me.

I found Smith's substitution patterns with ALL her players to be inconsistent and bewildering. I will try to be hopeful. It was her first year ever as a head coach. I hope she'll be better in year #2.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/15/19 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I found Smith's substitution patterns with ALL her players to be inconsistent and bewildering. I will try to be hopeful. It was her first year ever as a head coach. I hope she'll be better in year #2.

agree. it was very strange and seemed random.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 04/15/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I'm not as optimistic about Han Xu as some of the NY fans. I suspect that she might get very few minutes. She might benefit a lot from a purely random substitution pattern. Smile

Smith might well be coaching as if her job depends on it, so who knows what will happen.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/15/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember you cant teach height !

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/15/19 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I'm not as optimistic about Han Xu as some of the NY fans. I suspect that she might get very few minutes. She might benefit a lot from a purely random substitution pattern. Smile

Smith might well be coaching as if her job depends on it, so who knows what will happen.

I am excited for Han Xu but yeah this year I see her getting 10-15 minutes a night max and she will be coming off the bench. This is a long term project that I don't expect to see significant results from until at least 2021. This season will be about acclimating to the team and culture and gauging what skills and techniques will have to be used and developed to go up against the best in the World night in and night out.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/15/19 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So where will the Liberty training camp be?
Where will the players be living ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/15/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I am excited for Han Xu but yeah this year I see her getting 10-15 minutes a night max and she will be coming off the bench. This is a long term project that I don't expect to see significant results from until at least 2021. This season will be about acclimating to the team and culture and gauging what skills and techniques will have to be used and developed to go up against the best in the World night in and night out.

Well said. She's 19 years old and will be facing huge adjustments both on and off the court. Let's not put too many expectations on Han Xu for this season.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I see Xu as a change-up option and nothing more for a good part of the season and maybe more later in the year if she acclimates some. Her balance and footwork are going to be a struggle at her height and being so skinny. Not to mention the cultural and language adjustments. She might be useful in certain matchup situations, but it's not going to be easy. She's going to struggle on defense for sure, from standpoints of footwork and weight, as well as being a 19-year-old rookie. In smaller doses, certain obvious individual matchups might be made better at her height, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go with any projections for her play.

Also if you think about it, Durr is probably the most offensively talented SG Tina has ever played with. Ever. It will be interesting to see how impactful that combo is and how it might open up scoring possibilities for teammates.

PostPosted: 04/16/19 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY will be no better than last year. Smith looked lost as HC last year. That wont change. She’s the Holly Warlick of the WNBA.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/16/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly Warlick had seven years. Smith has had one. The problem with Warlick is that no one could figure out exactly what she was doing to improve the team. Smith's problem is the opposite. She's constantly experimenting and looks like a mad scientist blowing up the lab. She needs to calm down. The situations are in no way similar.

New York may or may not win more games this season. However, improvement can be measured even without more wins. Their point differential was -7.1 last season. They were not competitive in a lot of games. If they can significantly move that differential toward a positive direction, that would be progress. For instance, in 2009 NY was last in the East with a record of 13-21. However, their point differential was only -0.8. The next season they were able to improve to 22-12 and second place, losing first place on a tiebreaker. So while wins and losses are important, what lies underneath is also worth monitoring. And for hardcore fans who watch almost every minute of every game, we will also know if this team is improving just based on the eyeball test.

PostPosted: 04/16/19 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
New York may or may not win more games this season. However, improvement can be measured even without more wins. Their point differential was -7.1 last season. They were not competitive in a lot of games. If they can significantly move that differential toward a positive direction, that would be progress. For instance, in 2009 NY was last in the East with a record of 13-21. However, their point differential was only -0.8. The next season they were able to improve to 22-12 and second place, losing first place on a tiebreaker. So while wins and losses are important, what lies underneath is also worth monitoring. And for hardcore fans who watch almost every minute of every game, we will also know if this team is improving just based on the eyeball test.

Excellent analysis. So was the previous paragraph about Warlick vs. Smith, which I accidentally deleted. I'd just add this. For me, what "lies underneath" New York's win/loss record for 2019 will most crucially involve how our younger players develop and progress. My biggest frustration with Smith's coaching in 2018 was her erratic use of Kia Nurse and other younger players. Now--with Prince, Rodgers, Zellous, Vaughn, and Coleman all gone--that won't be a problem. There's no core of veterans who should or shouldn't take playing time from the younger players. (Tanisha Wright won't be playing 30 minutes per game.) I hope that Katie Smith can genuinely help those players who will be the future of our team.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/16/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Holly Warlick had seven years. Smith has had one. The problem with Warlick is that no one could figure out exactly what she was doing to improve the team. Smith's problem is the opposite. She's constantly experimenting and looks like a mad scientist blowing up the lab. She needs to calm down. The situations are in no way similar.

There was also the addition if cappie and Pierson lol

PostPosted: 04/16/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

There was also the addition if cappie and Pierson lol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 41 of 91

Jump to: