RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 03/22/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Why when we could end up with jefferson? Whom id tab as being just a small bit better than boyd at this point in their careers. I like boyd though !

Fair. If I were y’all I would prefer Jefferson, but say a point doesn’t end up going to the Wings?
Just thinking of how Boyd can be shipped somewhere, though maybe we are just waiting to see how the draft shakes out until re-signing (which I would be happy with too).

stever

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Katie Smith envisions hopeful New York Liberty future after sale

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/03/23/esny-exclusive-katie-smith-envisions-hopeful-new-york-liberty-future-after-sale/

toad455

PostPosted: 03/23/19 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Also returning for the Liberty in 2019 is Charles, who partook in her sixth WNBA All-Star Game last season

Another article saying Charles is returning & is expected to re-sign.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“We have some needs on our team. We need, possibly, a productive (center), we need a playmaking guard,” she hinted.

Sounds like McCowan/Brown and Ionescu. Of course, it depends on what she means by "productive" and "playmaking."

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wish I was posting this in the Minnesota thread. It’s a French article so I’m just going to translate it and post the whole thing for you.
https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/basket/wnba-marine-johannes-une-opportunite-quil-fallait-saisir

Quote:
Marine Johannès made the big jump. Phenomenon of European basketball, the international tricolor committed Thursday in the American franchise of New York Liberty. The 24-year-old, currently playing in Bourges, will discover the WNBA, the 13th French to join the famous league, starting in May. "One of her dreams" that will come true.

Signing into a WNBA franchise is the dream in a career?

Marine Johannès: "Yes, it was one of my dreams, it's not the only one, but here I am very happy to go."

You have been voted best back of the Euroleague by the public. So getting involved in an American team was the right time?

MJ: "Yes I think, but being elected (in Euroleague) the same week as the signing has nothing to do because I signed before, but it came out yesterday (Thursday) on networks, it was a few weeks ago. "

Exactly, how did this signature with New York?

MJ: "They made contact with my agent to see if it was possible, if I was interested, and then it's done."

Maybe the new GM doesn’t get credit for this signing. I kinda wonder if they should have waited until she’d be available to play.

Quote:
Sandrine Gruda and Céline Dumerc that you knew in France team played in the United States. You had discussed with them?

MJ: "I know I already talked to Celine, she knew what was going on, we talked about it and she was very happy for me."

And did she give you some advice?

MJ: "Not really any advice, only if I had the opportunity, I had to go because it could be the only opportunity in my life, so we had to grab it."

Present this summer with the Blue at the Euro

What are your goals on this American experience?

MJ: "For the moment, I barely realize, I still do not have goals, there are still plenty of things going on with the end of the season with Bourges, the play-offs and then the France team, there's a lot of stuff in my head, I just hope it's going to be good and it's going to be a great adventure. "

You have a spectacular game, made of distant shots, blind passes and dribbles. This is a type of game that sticks with that of the WNBA?

MJ: "I hope so, we'll see, but it's a completely different game than the one we can meet in France or Europe. It's more physical, faster. different from the Euroleague for example, it's going to be a new experience. "

Quote:
What do you hope to discover and learn while playing in the United States?

MJ: "I think it's an experience to live in. There's everything to take, every training, even life outside, it's going to be quite special to live in the United States."

Living in New York, how do you apprehend it?

MJ: "For now, I do not apprehend too much, I'm going to meet Nayo (Raincock-Ekunwe, her partner in Bourges) and Bria (Hartley, her teammate in France) that I know. a little bit about that, but I do not really have any apprehensions. "

The WNBA season will start on May 24 for your team (end in September). How will you continue the rest of your season with Bourges and the Euro team France?

MJ: "I'm going to play the end of the championship of France and then a few days later, we will start the preparation with the team of France (41 selections) to compete in the European Championship (June 27 to July 7). all that will be with the French team, I will go to New York. "

You are in contract with Bourges until 2020. Will you join Bourges following your experience in WNBA?

MJ: "I do not know at all, I still have an option year with Bourges, so here I am in Bourges for the moment, we'll see in a few weeks for the rest, everything happens pretty quickly, we have to stay It's about basketball, we have big matches coming in, so I try not to think about it too much, not to get my head in. And there will be people around me to help me. "

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/23/19 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/23/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the GM was hired weeks ago and also just recently announced.Razz That would be par for the course around here. Either way, I'm still reluctant to give Katie Smith the credit. More likely Johannes talked to Raincock and Hartley, and then they conveyed her interest to management.

The team would have gained very little if they waited to sign her. It would free-up a bit of cap space for a short period of time, but the Liberty aren't in dire need of cap space. Meanwhile, if NY really wants Johannes, why wait and risk losing her to another team? She'll be suspended while they're waiting. NY won't have to pay her and the roster spot will be available for a short-term player.

PostPosted: 03/23/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"They made contact with my agent to see if it was possible, if I was interested”

I don’t think anything’s lost in translation there, not that it’s a big deal either way.

What may be lost in translation because the way it’s worded here is if she’ll show up in NYC for a little bit before this European championship starts. I think it’d be wise to get at least a little assimilated with the team early on instead of arriving for the first time in July. She’d be playing catch-up with the rest of the team. Wouldn’t be easy to crack the rotation in that situation.

Even if she arrives in July, it’s way better than what the Lynx did with Zandalasini. The Lynx signed Zandalasini for the last week of the season in 2017 basically to get her assimilated for the 2018 season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/23/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Quote:
Also returning for the Liberty in 2019 is Charles, who partook in her sixth WNBA All-Star Game last season

Another article saying Charles is returning & is expected to re-sign.

Well what the hell is taking so long? The team has been sold at first that was the reason for Charles not resigning at the present time.

PostPosted: 03/23/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What may be lost in translation because the way it’s worded here is if she’ll show up in NYC for a little bit before this European championship starts. I think it’d be wise to get at least a little assimilated with the team early on instead of arriving for the first time in July. She’d be playing catch-up with the rest of the team. Wouldn’t be easy to crack the rotation in that situation.

We've seen it work both ways -- players going straight to their national team or briefly stopping over with their WNBA squad before leaving again. If what that article suggests is true, then NY's willingness to wait until July for Johannes implies that she is guaranteed a roster spot. I don't see how else this can play out. I suppose the team could have her show up and then compete during practices for a roster spot. That would be awkward. It makes her the late arriving new girl trying to displace someone who has already bonded with her teammates. Probably a better approach is to set expectations early by making it clear that Johannes owns the spot. The other player is merely a placeholder

Guaranteeing Johannes a place on the team is not something I would have done. There are other people I like better, and I still would have made those players earn their way on to the team. But hey, it's all about talent evaluation. If management likes Johannes that much, then it makes sense for them to go the extra mile.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the huge welcoming banner in social media indicates they expect her to play more than a passing role on the team. This is no training camp contract type of deal. From what I've seen, she's a good player and def WNBA-ready, so I have no reservations about a deserving player being given a place. I think the Quigley comparisons are very apt by Root and others. Similar body type and game. Maybe a little more creative in terms of getting her own shot but it's not like we are talking Moore or Taurasi level. She's a good player who appears to have a little bit of moxie to her game. It works for me.

I think this says a LOT about what the Libs are trying to achieve. Katie Smith made it clear last year that she wanted a more spread system where players had opportunities to penetrate and kick out for 3s. Johannes fits that bill both in terms of a player who has a degree of creativity for other players but also the ability to stretch a defense with 3-ball accuracy. While obviously a talent addition, I think this was a very purposeful move.

It also signals to me why Z will most likely not be returning and why there have been multiple rumors regarding the movement of Boyd. Both can be productive players in the right system. But all the evidence points to that system not being in NY. That was always the downside of transitioning from Laimbeer. Few, if any coaches, employ a similar philosophy. A Laimbeer system is not as dependent on wide spacing and ball reversal as most conventional offensive systems are.

Unlike the acquisition of Coleman in 2018, which was meant to spearhead this change in philosophy, we're seeing it take effect with a player who is a legitimate WNBA talent. One could argue the new GM made the move, but Katie Smith scouted this player herself as per WNBA Fans Nation, who as I've mentioned numerous times, has been an accurate source of info.

As previously stated, I'm hoping the Libs can acquire Ionescu. If she doesn't declare or a deal for her is not available, then I still foresee the Libs attempting to acquire a PG via trade who can spread a defense. If the Libs maintain the #2 pick, it would seem to eliminate Collier as a perceived fit by Katie Smith. I think being crowded at SG would also eliminate Durr. To me, that leaves only 3 possibilities remaining. Samuelsson, McCowan or Brown. My thought now is that at the end of the draft it's down to 1 of 4 players for NY...the 3 I just named or Ionescu. And I'm not even sure that either of the two posts make sense given the system Katie wants to use. I'd make Samuelsson and Ionescu the overwhelming favorites over the other two. Not saying I agree with KLS. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. Nonetheless, I think that would be the likely move. The only complication would be, who starts? Would Johannes come off the bench in this setup? Granted she won't even be in a position to do that until mid-July, but it would make the Libs crowded on the perimeter. That in turn might equate to the drafting of a big.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I'd add Anigwe to the above list as well. Her rebounding has to have her in the discussion if McCowan is in the discussion.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, Anigwe is the best post in the draft. But McCowan is getting all the hype.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/24/19 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Katie Smith envisions hopeful New York Liberty future after sale

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/03/23/esny-exclusive-katie-smith-envisions-hopeful-new-york-liberty-future-after-sale/

Mags is a shill in this case it's not meant negatively but he's a writer who is on the libs beat to showcase the libs as Best as possible...and he does a great job

But there isn't much new here

More coy on wcc than management seems to be...I don't see this as a 1 year rebuild...I do think we need a center...I personally don't mind trading up into another pick or even if as the wedge breaker in a cabbage deal give the 2 trade down to 5 and pick up a player and the 7 esp if young comes out that gives you a few options be it if you think Collier can be a power 3 like Cash or ogumbawale or samuelson 7 you look at a center more than likely maybe Brown who is falling down many boards or roll the dice on Gustafson but just ideas I think montpremier stays in school so likely her at 14 doesn't help at post

Also I think the French signing tells me RFA boyd is on the block...dunno what we can get but I think for whatever reason we're moving in

Still say they're Hellbent on durr but there's worse things I do think Prince is done

PostPosted: 03/24/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to mention, as an undrafted free agent, Johannes is on the minimum. Only question is how many years (if her agent has half a clue it's one year, because if she's good she can then demand more in any future years).

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Moving New York's WNBA Team Was A Big Mistake
Quote:
In the time that Dolan has owned the team, it’s been clear that the Liberty have been an afterthought - from small, immeasurable slights like a seeming disinterest in allocating marketing and advertising dollars, to the slap in the face of appointing Isaiah Thomas, the former Knicks coach who was found guilty of sexual harassment, as the president of the Liberty in 2015.
But there is a cutting symbolism in sending one of the most popular WNBA franchises to a rinky dink arena in the era of #MeToo and #TimesUp. For the pros who play for that team and the fans who love them — so many of them girls and young women — what it says is: you don’t matter.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
In the time that Dolan has owned the team, it’s been clear that the Liberty have been an afterthought - from small, immeasurable slights like a seeming disinterest in allocating marketing and advertising dollars, to the slap in the face of appointing Isaiah Thomas, the former Knicks coach who was found guilty of sexual harassment, as the president of the Liberty in 2015.
But there is a cutting symbolism in sending one of the most popular WNBA franchises to a rinky dink arena in the era of #MeToo and #TimesUp. For the pros who play for that team and the fans who love them — so many of them girls and young women — what it says is: you don’t matter.

I don't think the author realizes that the Liberty will likely play in Brooklyn(Barclays) full time come 2020.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/24/19 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

I don't think the author realizes that the Liberty will likely play in Brooklyn(Barclays) full time come 2020.

I think it's a great article and she's right on the mark in her statement about "you don't matter" quoted above.

You claim that the Liberty "will likely" play in Brooklyn full time in 2020. She says she "has no idea" whether Tsai will move the team out of state or to Brooklyn. I hope you're right, but for me your "will likely" statement doesn't mean much. When I see much clearer evidence that this is what's ahead, I'll say you were right and I'll celebrate. But not yet.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/24/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So does this seem possible or is it just completely wishful thinking on my part?

Ionescu declares

LV and Dallas do a trade that looks something like
#1 and Jefferson for Cambage (maybe Harrison and something else from Dallas is thrown let's no get sidetracked).
Dallas decides to use the #1 pick on McCowan to replace Cambage as the future center for the Wings (Agler does like defense).

Ionescu falls to NY at #2 without NY having to give up anything to get her.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, that’s very unrealistic.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/24/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow less than 5 minutes to enjoy the fantasy

OK back to Cambage goes to LA

and we trade Boyd and #2 (McCowan) for #1 (Ionescu)

or just stick with my Durr pick and move on

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/24/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

OK back to Cambage goes to LA

and we trade Boyd and #2 (McCowan) for #1 (Ionescu)

or just stick with my Durr pick and move on

Perhaps we should all agree on how long someone here should be allowed to enjoy their fantasy. Five minutes really doesn't seem enough. 15 minutes? Half an hour? Smile

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/25/19 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

The vast majority of material posted on this board is opinion, speculation, rumor, wishful thinking, imagined mind-reading, self-proclaimed clairvoyance, and dubious insider leaks. Your fantasy may not be less real than any of these things. Regardless, it belongs to you so enjoy as long as you like.

PostPosted: 03/25/19 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks,

TBH I kind of new it was unrealistic when I posted it but thought what the heck

Randy

PostPosted: 03/25/19 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

The vast majority of material posted on this board is opinion, speculation, rumor, wishful thinking, imagined mind-reading, self-proclaimed clairvoyance, and dubious insider leaks. Your fantasy may not be less real than any of these things. Regardless, it belongs to you so enjoy as long as you like.

And it beats the hell out of most of my fantasies.....

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/25/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard that the Liberty will be in Barclay's in 2020 from someone who has more connections than most of us ...

Hoping that source is correct ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 32 of 91

Jump to: