RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/20/19 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the only one of our UFAs I'd consider bringing back would be Zellous. Vaughn, Coleman & Prince can be done at this point. Not sure anyone else is willing to overpay for any of those three.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/20/19 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vaughn seems very well liked overseas, and Smith used her more than Zahui or Stokes. My guess is that she catches on somewhere -- but hopefully not here. Yes, Prince may be done and Coleman is overdone.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Even if the Liberty don't want Boyd, it would be idiotic to let her walk away. Based on PER, she was the 11th best PG in the league, just an eyelash behind Cloud at #10 and way ahead of Jefferson at #21. Based on PIE, which is functionally similar to PER adjusted for pace, Boyd was the 5th best PG behind Gray, Vandersloot, Diggins-Smith, and Bird. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with these rankings, but I think we can agree that Boyd has value and Katie shouldn't let her go without compensation.

Being the 11th best in a 12 team league isn't all that good

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Boyd but I am not sure she is a starting pg on a contending team.

I think Jefferson is better than Boyd last year she was returning from an injury, Plum had secured the starting spot, and I still don't see her as a good fit with Laimbeer.
Also Jefferson is having a pretty good season overseas as a major contributor on a good team.

Not saying it is but if Jefferson for Boyd and 14 was on the table I would do it.

If the 3 team trade of Cambage to Lv, Jefferson and 5 to NY and 1, 2 and Boyd to Dallas was an option I would probably do that to.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/20/19 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point I also hope we bring back Zealous. Zelius 2 and 14 seems like the least exciting most realistic direction we will go and it keeps 2 and 14 flexible.

If not Zealous I think we will be looking at Fairs or 26 for that last spot

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/20/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Even if the Liberty don't want Boyd, it would be idiotic to let her walk away. Based on PER, she was the 11th best PG in the league, just an eyelash behind Cloud at #10 and way ahead of Jefferson at #21. Based on PIE, which is functionally similar to PER adjusted for pace, Boyd was the 5th best PG behind Gray, Vandersloot, Diggins-Smith, and Bird. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with these rankings, but I think we can agree that Boyd has value and Katie shouldn't let her go without compensation.

Being the 11th best in a 12 team league isn't all that good

It's still starter level and enough so that you don't let the player go for free. Actually, I forgot to adjust for Bentley's split season, so Boyd would be #10. Based on PER, she is almost identical to Cloud whose offer sheet was matched by DC. And if you use PIE, which I think is more accurate, Boyd is #5. But again, my main point is that Boyd has enough value so that NY shouldn't let her leave without getting something in return.

J-Spoon wrote:
I like Boyd but I am not sure she is a starting pg on a contending team.

I think Jefferson is better than Boyd last year she was returning from an injury, Plum had secured the starting spot, and I still don't see her as a good fit with Laimbeer.
Also Jefferson is having a pretty good season overseas as a major contributor on a good team.

Not saying it is but if Jefferson for Boyd and 14 was on the table I would do it.

If the 3 team trade of Cambage to Lv, Jefferson and 5 to NY and 1, 2 and Boyd to Dallas was an option I would probably do that to.

I actually think Boyd would be really good on a contending team. Surrounded by better players, she wouldn't have to force the action, which is when she gets turnovers. Brittany could just focus on the things she does well: push tempo, penetrate and dish, pressure the ball on defense. As for Jefferson, my main point is that she's not the same player as before. In fact, she was sort of bad. Until Moriah is clearly healthy, you don't know what your getting. Remember, Boyd was coming off an injury too but she was able to produce.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is a good point Boyd with consistent shooters or scorers at multiple positions would be much more effective. She has games where she is a boss and her tempo is both overwhelming and disruptive to the opponent, but mostly dues to injury she hasn't had that consistently in her tenure with the Liberty. This is year 4 (or 5) and she hasn't been that game in game out starting level PG for any extended period of time. Jefferson looked like the real deal her first tow seasons even if it was on a bad team, and she ran a 4 time NCAA championship team at UConn sure Stewart had a lot to do with that but Jefferson did her job. This year she should be far enough from her injury that Jefferson can return to being a good PG in the league. I have more faith that Jefferson can deliver on that than Boyd, which isn't to say I am not rooting for Boyd.

I agree it would be foolish to just let her walk, but I don't see that happening unless she signs a big offer sheet. She will either be with the Liberty in 2019 at her qualifying offer or on a deal that works for both her and the team, or will be involved in a sign and trade.

stever

PostPosted: 02/21/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/2/21/18234600/joe-tsai-providing-resources-to-liberty-isiah-thomas-out

Quote:
They’ll play their home games in Westchester again this season, with the exception of a game at Barclays Center. Next year remains uncertain, but our Anthony Puccio has tweeted that Long Island and Nassau Coliseum look like the Liberty’s ultimate landing spot.

Quote:
Meanwhile, according to AP’s Doug Feinberg, the Liberty’s president is moving on. Isiah Thomas, the Hall of Famer and Dolan favorite, will not be kept. Feinberg writes Thomas “will remain with MSG as he completes his contractual obligations.”

toad455

PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a NJ person I'm not pleased with them going to Nassau. But it's 100 times better than WCC. Hopefully they play a few games at Barclays as well.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/2/21/18234600/joe-tsai-providing-resources-to-liberty-isiah-thomas-out

Quote:
Meanwhile, according to AP’s Doug Feinberg, the Liberty’s president is moving on. Isiah Thomas, the Hall of Famer and Dolan favorite, will not be kept. Feinberg writes Thomas “will remain with MSG as he completes his contractual obligations.”

How comforting to know that Hideous Lord Jimmy and sexual harasser Isiah will continue their association at MSG. Given Isiah's terrible record during his years with the Knicks, perhaps he can be president of the Rangers.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/21/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in the city and a move to Nassau Coliseum would be a huge deal breaker for me. A one-hour LIRR ride plus a bus transfer seems like a headache. I’d rather go back to Prudential Center.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/22/19 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Quote:
They’ll play their home games in Westchester again this season, with the exception of a game at Barclays Center. Next year remains uncertain, but our Anthony Puccio has tweeted that Long Island and Nassau Coliseum look like the Liberty’s ultimate landing spot.

Quote:

The Nassau thing I have doubts about...it's not that smaller than Barclays tho the configuration is like old msg where both decks are accessed from one walkway so you can fill the arena without excess staff in terms of opening an upper deck

Lack of public transit is the killer building itself is NOT your father's moseleum well renovated and for basketball 15k seats...as I said before the shape of the building is where you can easily open up spillover seating with no effort at little staffing cost...but that public transit...no easy lirr access and nice bus ends crazy early would have to do 1pm games in weekends and likely 7 on weekdays and be forced to leave early....no bueno...at least provide shuttles to either Hempstead lirr or Roosevelt field bus hub...that would be fair and make things MUCH easier....that said

that article....#citationneeded they had their reporter say something without source that he tweeted weeks months ago while the rest of the article is a copypasta of Feinberg s article so please please take that article with a grain of salt...I think everything is on the table from speaking to my reps and keia a lot will depend on this year so show your support and I don't care who posts what Community day at Barclays being everyone you can (depending on date I'm likely inviting both starkdad and queen mother) and team out your rep if they offer freebies that's how we got in this mess to begin with...spend to build it and they WILL come #hellobrooklyn2020

PostPosted: 02/22/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless there's a force of nature prohibiting me from attending that one game in Brooklyn, I fully plan to be there. Any and all Liberty fans should make the effort to attend that game in Brooklyn. It is a weekday camp game, but would love to see Barclays packed for that one game.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/19 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’ll probably be packed with kids, making it meaningless as far as any sort of gage for a regular game.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/04/19 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/23/19 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Unless there's a force of nature prohibiting me from attending that one game in Brooklyn, I fully plan to be there. Any and all Liberty fans should make the effort to attend that game in Brooklyn. It is a weekday camp game, but would love to see Barclays packed for that one game.

Ummm has the date been announced I thought they were still working on that and that it may very well be a weekend

#citationneeded

PostPosted: 02/23/19 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Ummm has the date been announced I thought they were still working on that and that it may very well be a weekend

#citationneeded

I would love it if one of the weekend games that's currently scheduled to take place at WCC would be moved to Barclays. But I'd say odds are it's going to be the Aug. 13 game vs. Minnesota. The two camp day games are still listed as TBD for the venue.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/23/19 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And judging by their current summer calendar, the Barclays still has the majority of the summer wide open. Let's take that article with a grain of salt and hope they'll be in Brooklyn 100% in 2020. OTOH, Nassau Coliseum also has the majority of their 2019 summer calendar wide open, so....

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/23/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly thats why I'm and this goes from what my rep is telling me as well that they are testing sales for that game that the schedule can be changed with respect to venue...way it's being marketed doesnt sound like a kids day but you never know if assume nothing based on the Dolan era decisions so we will see

PostPosted: 02/23/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if it's not Aug. 13, I'm wondering what game they'll move to Barclays? And where the two camp day games will be played?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/24/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worthy of note. The Libs sched has an 11am game scheduled for June 4th. Even if that date/time were to hold, NYC public schools are closed for Eid on that day. It’s a relatively new school holiday in NYC, the June version of which celebrates the end of Ramadan.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Exactly thats why I'm and this goes from what my rep is telling me as well that they are testing sales for that game that the schedule can be changed with respect to venue...way it's being marketed doesnt sound like a kids day but you never know if assume nothing based on the Dolan era decisions so we will see

Do you have contact info for a rep you'd be willing to share? I haven't been a STH for a few years so have no lingering contacts but want to throw interest out there to become a STH should they move to Brooklyn in 2020. TIA!

PostPosted: 02/24/19 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im a long time Liberty Season Ticket Holder and have gone
to Newark and White Plains ...

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I WILL GO TO NASSAU COLISEUM !

(Just in case there is someone from the Liberty that reads this board! )

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/24/19 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Do you have contact info for a rep you'd be willing to share? I haven't been a STH for a few years so have no lingering contacts but want to throw interest out there to become a STH should they move to Brooklyn in 2020. TIA!

Check your pms

PostPosted: 02/27/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
if it's not Aug. 13, I'm wondering what game they'll move to Barclays? And where the two camp day games will be played?

Expect clarification on this shortly all I can say at this time

PostPosted: 02/28/19 4:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the final stats from the EuroLeague Women's regular season for the Liberty players:

Code:

Games Min  Pts   FG Pct 3 Pct  Reb  Ast   TO  Stl  Blk
Vaughn     14  30.8  9.4    52%     -    5.9  1.6  1.8  1.0  0.4   
Hartley    11  27.2 14.8    45%    37%   3.7  3.3  1.5  0.6  0.1   
Stokes     10  19.1  3.5    47%     -    6.9  0.4  1.1  0.9  2.7   
Raincock   14  26.3 10.6    64%    50%   4.6  1.9  1.1  1.1  0.3   
Prince     11  22.2  8.5    45%    41%   2.2  3.3  0.9  1.3  0.0   
Charles     6  33.1 15.8    49%    38%   8.2  1.7  1.0  1.3  0.3   
Zahui      14  28.4 11.6    44%    43%   7.7  0.8  1.7  1.0  1.1   

Those are the numbers. I watched several of the Fenerbahce games (they have Vaughn, Hartley, and Stokes), and here are my personal observations:

Kia Vaughn is playing very well compared to what she gave the Liberty. I always felt that her hook shot and medium range jumper gave her more offensive game than most people gave her credit for, and she's shown it a bit more and is getting the minutes.

Bria Hartley looks great to me. She's playing the same role for Fenerbahce as she did for the Liberty: sometimes at the 1, sometimes at the 2. Her game looks more energetic and under control than I remember from last year. She is making highlight reels with some of her drives, and it all looks very encouraging.

Kiah Stokes continues to be an enigma, and the Fenerbahce coach doesn't seem to have any more of an idea about how to use her than Katie Smith did. She had a two game stretch where she totally dominated (something like 18 points in one and 15 rebounds in the other), but before and after, she was riding the bench and getting limited minutes. She does look a little stronger and qucker than last year, which gives credibility to the idea that she had a bad foot last year. There was one defensive play where she lowered her head and gave a burst of speed to get around a pick in a manner I haven't seen from her in quite a long time. A couple of weeks ago I would have told you that we could expect much better things from Kiah in the coming year. With her slow finish, I'm back to shrugging my shoulders and hoping.

That's it for the Fenerbahce players. They have made the playoffs, so there will be more games to watch (I'm having a lot of fun doing so). While watching, I also got to see two Liberty players opposing Fenerbahce.

Amanda Zahui B plays for Sopron Basket and she had a fantastic game against Fenerbahce: it was very much like her best games of last year. She nailed a bunch of 3 pointers, pulled down rebounds, and really worked well with the team offensively. Defensively, she has trouble guarding people as always, but I think Liberty fans will be very happy if she gives us performances like the one I saw.

Epiphany Prince was pretty much her usual self in the game Fenerbahce played against Dynamo Kursk, but at the end, she stuck two daggers in the hearts of Kia, Kiah, and Bria as she nailed a 3 pointer and sank 2 free throws to seal the game.

Tina Charles, who also plays for Dynamo Kursk, did not play in the game I watched.

That's all I've got. I'll be watching the playoffs and will probably make a post like this afterwards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 26 of 91

Jump to: