RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 02/18/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Even if you were to assume they were both exactly the same distance from the camera, I think you’d have to discount some height from Collier because her hair is sitting up in the back. Collier looks to have longer arms, but Gabby has a better vertical. Gabby used to do the jump ball for UConn.

Hair is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how high their shoulders are and how long their arms are. Standing height is the most relevant since you don't get a chance to time a jump most of the game.

If you look at the USA Basketball roster picture that was posted, Collier's shoulders are right around where Aja Wilson's and Jessica Shepard's are. And she is thicker/heavier than Gabby Williams.

Quote:
I remember posting something about Collier recognizing she needs to add to her perimeter skills to be successful at the next level.

What did you post about Alyssa Thomas when she was in college?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread title should be changed to New York Huskies.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so theme and variation take your pick 1-5 ( roster spots 1-10 add in #14 and fill in the blank)

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Rodgers
Raincock-Ekunwe/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
McCowan/Stokes

1A swap in Brown for McCowan

Boyd/Hartley
Durr/Rodgers
Nurse/B. Allen
Charles/NRE
Zahui B/Stokes

2A swap in Ogunbowale for Durr

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Rodgers
Collier/Allen
Charles/NRE
Zahui B/Stokes

(I like Collier but IMO she is an undersized four more than a starting three but obviously others see it differently)

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Rodgers
KLS/Allen
Charles/NRE
Stokes/Zahui B

Ionescu/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley
NRE/Allen
Charles
Zahui B/Stokes

*(I assume we have to go all in to move up one spot if Ionescu declares so #1 for #2 (Most likely McCowan) and Nurse (I would start with Rodgers, Boyd or Hartley but I think BL would prefer Nurse).
Also it is slightly possible that Ionescu declares and magically falls to #2 if LV takes McCowan or if the #1 pick is traded to Dallas and they take McCowan so roster 5 add in Nurse that is my fantasy option, but not holding my breath.

5A
Ionescu/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley
Nurse/Allen
Charles/NRE
Stokes/Zahui B

options at #14 (or in the 3rd round at #26)
*Howard, *Cuningham,* Gustafson *Turner, *Shepard, Xu Han, Kea, Bell, Dillard, Mabrey, Cazorla, Jennings, Li Yueru, Davenport, Heideman, Blockton, Robinson, Morris etc

*Probably not available at #14 but could be

Faris could squeak into the 12 spot this go round
Zelous, Prince (Vaughn and Coleman) are all still available
as are Currie, R. Williams and K. Thomas
wire/camp

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/19 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Ionescu/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley
NRE/Allen
Charles
Zahui B/Stokes

That would be truly awful. Laughing As far as I know, Nayo has played like five minutes of SF in her life. She has played way more center than small forward.

Under that scenario, I'd rather have #2 and Nurse back.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Ionescu/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley
NRE/Allen
Charles
Zahui B/Stokes

That would be truly awful. Laughing As far as I know, Nayo has played like five minutes of SF in her life. She has played way more center than small forward.

Under that scenario, I'd rather have #2 and Nurse back.

I like Ionescu enough that I would be OK with it,

but that is a scenario where I definitely try to re-sign Zelous (or even sign Currie) the 2 spot isn't really that impressive either, or pray that Howard or Cuningham is in the mix at 14.

Ionescu/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley
Zelous/Howard/Allen
Charles/NRE
Zahui B/Stokes

add 5th post via waiver wire (free agency K. Thomas or Vaughn) it looks passable.

even though they won't play a lot the 11th and 12th roster addition can make any of the above rosters look a little more solid.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My favorite of the above roster options I have laid out is 2, I see it as the best combination of realistic and hopeful.

my last two additions would be re-sign Zelous and grab Han Xu at #14

Boyd/Hartley
Durr/Rodgers
Nurse/Zelous/Allen
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
Zahui B/Stokes/Han Xu

What I like about it is Durr and Han Xu both have upside and are exciting picks for the future, the starters are probably the best offensive team we could put on the floor of any scenario, we have enough shooters, there are defensive options either starting or on the bench at every position, and this is a very flexible group that you can mix and match in a lot of different line ups.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/19/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon you are one of my favorite posters. But any lineup that features Nayo at SF is going to cause me to want a season-ticket refund. Is Zellous even playing anywhere overseas where one could make a case that she hasn't had an opportunity to sign a contract yet? EuroBasket says her 2019 team is Bnot Hertzeliya in Israel. I looked up the two most recent boxscores. They don't even list her as DNP. If Z does return, obviously that complicates the dialogue. It would mean that from positional need they could justifiably draft any of Durr, McCowan, Brown, Arike, Collier or Samuelsson depending on who they like. That's without me advocating any one of those players over another or eliminating any I feel are clearly outside the top 4. Just saying that it basically negates any positional need argument because then they'd be equally needy at the 1, 2, 3 or 5. Whereas currently you could easily argue they have no starting 3 spot player. Anytime Marissa Coleman consistently turned out to be your preferred option over another player at the same position, how confident could you have been in playing that player at that position?

Nurse DID play SF as a starter for her last series of games too...7-8 or so. Which complicates my personal narrative about Smith not wanting to play her at SF. That said, I'd still argue that it doesn't mean it's their most desirable option heading into 2019 given how they used her for much of last season before that.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't pretend to know what Laimbeer is thinking. However, if people really believe he prefers McCowan to Ionescu, why not just let the draft play out? Dare him to NOT take McCowan. As I've mentioned before, it was rumored that in 2017 SAS drafted Plum and Chicago drafted Coates because they were viewed as the best players available, not because the teams wanted them. It was believed that they could be traded to realize full value for the #1 and #2 slots, but it didn't happen. So, there is a real risk to being greedy. The general consensus is that LVA already has too many players. Is it really worth it to Laimbeer to risk losing the player he genuinely wants just to squeeze out a bit of value that may amount to nothing more than a marginal increase in bench strength? The Liberty could use an upgrade at center much more than LVA can use redundancy at guard. Let Laimbeer come to us rather than the other way around. And if he doesn't, then probably Bill preferred Ionescu all along.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it comes down to how much better you think Ionescu is than McCowan. If Ionescu is viewed as a franchise player and McCowan isn’t, then trading her to get what you need along with additional value is an attainable goal. It’s only if Ionescu is not widely viewed as a franchise player in which that thought process would become an issue for Vegas.

I personally can’t see why Ionescu wouldn’t be considered a franchise player, but I’m not a WNBA GM. To me, the combo of scoring and passing is so unparalleled in recent draft history, she’s extremely unique in what she’d bring to a team.

Of course, there’s also the possibility Vegas trades Plum for a post player too. That might actually make more sense for Vegas.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

last year we had some very late signing (or announcement of signings) so the fact that Zelous, Prince, or for that matter Vaughn or Coleman haven't signed with us doesn't mean we won't go down that road again. Maybe not but I won't be shocked though I guess one different this to last year is we didn't do anything last year and this year we have done some stuff.

Now what is going on with the Boyd signing is a little more interesting but she is a RFA and I believe we had to offer a qualifying offer so if she doesn't sign elsewhere or we don't rescind the offer Boyd can just take the offer so technically she is kind of already in the mix.

Now if you want to freak out about something it is Charles not signing anything that should be putting up red flags, unless they don't have fax machines in China. Supposedly someone else might sit out this season according to unconfirmed rumor, we can all hope it is Bonner (Also unsigned core player who had suggested wanting to take time off to spend more time with her children in the past) but Charles seems like a candidate for a rest season as well.

While I agree our SF spot is weak Charles sitting out would be the scenario where I would be much more likely to take Collier at 2.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also for the SF spot one of Howard or Cuningham might still be available at #14. (that is if you prefer to go with another position at #2).

It is not the scoring that I am after (which is still my top priority) but a McCowan/Howard draft for NY could be a good move.

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Rodgers
(Zelous)/Howard/Allen
Charles/Zahui B/Nayo
McCowan/Stokes

(You probably still want to try and bring Zelous for that one).

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/19/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
last year we had some very late signing (or announcement of signings) so the fact that Zelous, Prince, or for that matter Vaughn or Coleman haven't signed with us doesn't mean we won't go down that road again. Maybe not but I won't be shocked though I guess one different this to last year is we didn't do anything last year and this year we have done some stuff.

Now what is going on with the Boyd signing is a little more interesting but she is a RFA and I believe we had to offer a qualifying offer so if she doesn't sign elsewhere or we don't rescind the offer Boyd can just take the offer so technically she is kind of already in the mix.

Now if you want to freak out about something it is Charles not signing anything that should be putting up red flags, unless they don't have fax machines in China. Supposedly someone else might sit out this season according to unconfirmed rumor, we can all hope it is Bonner (Also unsigned core player who had suggested wanting to take time off to spend more time with her children in the past) but Charles seems like a candidate for a rest season as well.

While I agree our SF spot is weak Charles sitting out would be the scenario where I would be much more likely to take Collier at 2.

I'm holding out hope on Tina playing because it seems like she hates to miss so much as one game. Also I thought she looked really good playing for Kursk...moving and running well...seeming to be physically healthy. But she played last season in pain even when the team was terrible. I know CT Sun fans might scoff at the idea of Tina having a sense of obligation to her team. But as a Liberty player she's always carried herself as a player who will do things like sacrifice herself physically for the team even when another player with the same injury might sit out. Just my two cents.

If Tina were to sit out, I'd also be that much more adamant that Collier should be the choice at #2. Once we know whether Ionescu and/or Young declare I'd expect to see more of a flurry of transactions which would answer some of our questions. While need and surplus don't always result in deals being made, even the lottery teams have distinct needs and distinct areas of surplus. Chicago has a bunch of guards/wings. They desperately need interior help. I'd think with a new regime there'd be movement there. Vegas has surplus guards too. I can't see players like MoJeff and Williams being utilized off the bench for limited minutes (assuming Chicago adds post help) when they'd be able to draw needed value in other areas to their respective teams. But like Root said earlier, need and surplus don't necessarily equate to player movement. All I know is, maybe it's me because I am paying major attention to this off-season and WCBB, but this seems like the strangest offseason in a long time. UFAs with some value still unsigned. Gray unsigned while Sims was matched by LA...which strikes me as very strange. The Cambage situation. Moore sitting out after a murky few weeks in which her final decision wasn't apparent. Rumors of another player sitting out. Wondering if it will be Tina. We're nine days from March and the Libs have 7 players under contract. That doesn't have to mean anything necessarily, but it still seems like an unusual number of teams in flux compared to past offseasons. It wasn't long ago that both LA and Minnesota were clearly the league's two best teams. Not only does that feel like a decade ago, but how many teams can any of us say we feel unmitigated confidence in? I'd say Seattle, DC and CT. I can't say there's anyone else I feel sure of for the fourth spot and beyond. There's going to be some transition in the WNBA this season without a doubt, IMO. Hoping that NY can be one of the teams able to take advantage, but I think they're in a multiyear situation unless they have lots of surprises from underdeveloped youth or pull off some draft-day trade magic like they did in 2015.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year, Charles signed on April 6th. So, we've got another month and a half to go. Smile

Off the top of my head, the last time we had a decent home-grown RFA that we had to worry about was Carson in 2013. That year, she signed on February 26th.

So, that's our late signing history lesson for today!

PostPosted: 02/19/19 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Last year, Charles signed on April 6th. So, we've got another month and a half to go. Smile

Off the top of my head, the last time we had a decent home-grown RFA that we had to worry about was Carson in 2013. That year, she signed on February 26th.

So, that's our late signing history lesson for today!

I think I feel better now. Laughing Wink

This having the second pick in the draft feels so strange. Especially in a draft where any of several players can go second. I’m not the most patient guy and it’s still about six weeks till the draft.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

This having the second pick in the draft feels so strange. Especially in a draft where any of several players can go second. I’m not the most patient guy and it’s still about six weeks till the draft.

I like most of these players on some level, but I'm not crazy about them at #2. They seem more suited for the 4-8 range. So, I'd be listening to trade offers. The trouble is these other teams may feel the same way so they're happy to remain where they are. Confused

PostPosted: 02/19/19 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I like most of these players on some level, but I'm not crazy about them at #2. They seem more suited for the 4-8 range. So, I'd be listening to trade offers. The trouble is these other teams may feel the same way so they're happy to remain where they are. Confused

Nail on the head

what would Indy do to move up to #2 from #3 My gut says nothing unless they really want a big center and Ionescu doesn't declare and LV goes McCowan 1 and NY goes Brown 2, even then what player do they have that would move the dial enough to go up one spot Mavunga? Alexander? McCall?

Chicago? would Chicago want one of the bigs or Durr enough to offer #4 and Copper? I would do it in a second but would Chicago even with a log jam at the SF spot be willing to include her to move up two spots when if the bigs and Durr are gone top 3 the Sky could still pick Anigwe if they want a rebounder, Ogunbowlae if they want a scorer, Collier if they want a PF/Sf or KLS if they want a shooter?

Minn might want to move up from 6 but with Moore out they might just want to take Collier or KLS if they land at 6, and the only player they have to move up with is A. Jones which isn't the best match for NY

LA and PX both kind of need their picks for cheap contracts, LA only really has Weise or Samuelson to move up with and PX doesn't really have anyone they would be willing to move IMO.

Dallas, maybe if Dallas doesn't get a center in return they would want to move up for McCowan or Brown but who do they add to the mix Davis? I would love Thorton but that seems like too much.

Copper and #4 for 2 or Davis and #5 for 2 are the only ones that I could see even being entertained by both sides with the Dallas ones be most likely but being contingent on what happens with or without and Cambage trade.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/20/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All this is why I want Collier at 2. First off I don't think trading down is terribly viable. After that, I look at our starting 3 and backup 4 as two areas of extreme need, even with Nayo, given how Katie Smith coached those positions last year. Of course, that comes down to whether one thinks Collier can be a 3 spot player or not. Finally, I think she's the best all-around player out of the bunch. She can score, rebound and defend. She's a plus in the open floor, even when dribbling, and she is an above average passer. The only box she doesn't check is outside shooting. But nobody in this draft checks all the above boxes, not even Ionescu (if she declares), who I regard as a franchise player in spite of that fact. Jackie Young has similar versatility, but Collier has the ability to do the 3-4 swing.

Young does, however, seem reminiscent of Deanna Nolan in certain ways...a point I think Root made weeks ago if I am not mistaken. Not exactly the same style of player, but similar in the sense that she's not the top scoring option or draftee on her own team but she does seem to be the one with the greatest upside. She is so smooth in the open floor and she has legitimate height, athleticism and floor game to play either wing position. There is the question if she's not the same type of 3 point shooter as Collier. I like her shooting release...and similar to Collier I think she is capable of improving there.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty excited for upcoming season with new owners

https://www.njherald.com/article/20190220/AP/302209946#

Quote:
"This is an exciting time for the franchise. Great new ownership, the draft is coming in April, the free-agent signing period is underway," Liberty coach Katie Smith said. "I've been in touch with our current players and with various free agents. There is genuine enthusiasm surrounding the future of the Liberty."

Quote:
"Joe Tsai (and his group) put in the support systems to allow us to have the resources so we can draft talent, sign free agents and continue to develop our talent from there," said Liberty chief operating officer Keia Clarke in a phone interview. "I'm excited to where we're heading"

Quote:
The Liberty need to find a practice facility and housing for players.

Quote:
One person who didn't make the move was Liberty president Isiah Thomas. He will remain with MSG as he completes his contractual obligations.

New York is hoping to bring back many of its players. The team re-signed restricted free agents Rebecca Allen and Amanda Zahui B. earlier this month. They gave star Tina Charles the franchise tag, and she's expected to sign a deal soon.

That still leaves a few unrestricted free agents who need to figure out what they want to do, including Kia Vaughn, Epiphanny Prince, Shavonte Zellous and Marissa Coleman. New York also has to figure out what it wants to do with restricted free agent Brittany Boyd.

Smith, who also has been serving as the team's general manager, has been busy watching college games since New York has the No. 2 pick in the draft in April.

Serving as or actual?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 02/20/19 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like they're not 100% sold on keeping Boyd. The question that then needs to be asked is "who do they plan on replacing Boyd with?". A trade for Jefferson?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 02/20/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.njherald.com/article/20190220/AP/302209946

Quote:
New York is hoping to bring back many of its players. The team re-signed restricted free agents Rebecca Allen and Amanda Zahui B. earlier this month. They gave star Tina Charles the franchise tag, and she's expected to sign a deal soon.

Charles re-signing would leave Bonner as the only cored player not re-signed.

Quote:
New York also has to figure out what it wants to do with restricted free agent Brittany Boyd.

if Boyd isn't brought back, who's the Liberty starting PG?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/20/19 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ill believe Charles resigning once its official.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i want Boyd back cuz she was one of the players enjoyable watch last year.

Nurse, Boyd, ZB, and Charles.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/20/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
New York Liberty excited for upcoming season with new owners

https://www.njherald.com/article/20190220/AP/302209946#

Quote:
"This is an exciting time for the franchise. Great new ownership, the draft is coming in April, the free-agent signing period is underway," Liberty coach Katie Smith said. "I've been in touch with our current players and with various free agents. There is genuine enthusiasm surrounding the future of the Liberty."

Quote:
"Joe Tsai (and his group) put in the support systems to allow us to have the resources so we can draft talent, sign free agents and continue to develop our talent from there," said Liberty chief operating officer Keia Clarke in a phone interview. "I'm excited to where we're heading"

Quote:
The Liberty need to find a practice facility and housing for players.

Quote:
One person who didn't make the move was Liberty president Isiah Thomas. He will remain with MSG as he completes his contractual obligations.

That still leaves a few unrestricted free agents who need to figure out what they want to do, including Kia Vaughn, Epiphanny Prince, Shavonte Zellous and Marissa Coleman. New York also has to figure out what it wants to do with restricted free agent Brittany Boyd.

Smith, who also has been serving as the team's general manager, has been busy watching college games since New York has the No. 2 pick in the draft in April.

Serving as or actual?

i have a bad, bad feeling Katie is gonna bring these old farts back, especially Vaughn. you trying to tell me there isn't any other better options better then Vaughn, Prince, and coleman? lawd have mercy

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/20/19 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming our two draft choices make the team and we have Boyd and Tina, that's 11 right there. Leaves only one more spot open. If Boyd isn't brought back (unlikely, she's an RFA) then we'd still need another PG. So either way, there'd be one spot left. If Tina sits out, then does it really matter who we bring back? Either way we'd simply be playing for 2020.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if the Liberty don't want Boyd, it would be idiotic to let her walk away. Based on PER, she was the 11th best PG in the league, just an eyelash behind Cloud at #10 and way ahead of Jefferson at #21. Based on PIE, which is functionally similar to PER adjusted for pace, Boyd was the 5th best PG behind Gray, Vandersloot, Diggins-Smith, and Bird. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with these rankings, but I think we can agree that Boyd has value and Katie shouldn't let her go without compensation.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 25 of 91

Jump to: