RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/18/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i want Ariel Howard on this team bad...BAD lol

she is so fun to watch, gives 1000% on every play...i think she can play the 3 in the W her shot is not that bad

other Lib notes WNBAFANPAGE on facebook claims Katie Smith was at the Stanford vs USC scouting Alanna Smith. anybody has a scouting report on her? i don't have the pac-12 network to watch these games

toad455

PostPosted: 02/18/19 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A. Smith isn't dropping to #14 for NY.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

she is so fun to watch, gives 1000% on every play...i think she can play the 3 in the W her shot is not that bad

other Lib notes WNBAFANPAGE on facebook claims Katie Smith was at the Stanford vs USC scouting Alanna Smith. anybody has a scouting report on her? i don't have the pac-12 network to watch these games

Shades just posted a pic of her with a bunch of coaches at the UCLA-Cal game. Looks like just a trip to Cali to view a couple of games and a pair of first round picks. Nothing more. It's probably a good opportunity to talk deal with the other coaches too.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Howard too. She plays like a winner. One thing about that #14 pick is I think we need a third PG. I am scared to go into the season with just Boyd and Hartley. That's an injury away from Nurse playing PG. With all the backcourt injuries we had last year I think we need a third PG somewhere.

I watched a little of Kursk last night, including one game where Tina was there. It was just one game plus a little more, but I thought Piph looked nothing like the player she once was. She's not even looking to score or create. No explosiveness. No D at all...and I know it was never her strength...but it's IMO worse than ever.

She's got to be in a good place financially, having played there for years, from when her game was at a high point. Meaning she doesn't HAVE to play in the WNBA for financial reasons, I don't think.

Right now, assuming Tina plays, we'd have:

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Sugar
Allen
#2 and #14 picks
Tina/Nayo
Stokes/Zahui

That's 11. So it's conceivable that we'd be bringing one of Piph or Z back I guess. It's also conceivable that we'd get a PG somewhere outside of the draft. I just don't know what's out there. I know nobody likes Mabrey but I'm hard-pressed to believe that a productive player like her who plays PG on a top 10 team is going to last till round 3. I could be wrong there, but we will see. But separate from that, I see players like Howard or Cunningham being potentially nice additions in that 14 range. I like Howard better than Cunningham skill-wise...however Cunningham would bring a player who other teams hate playing against. We already have one in Nurse who plays on the edge. I would not mind having a second one who does.

I don't want to beat too much of a dead horse regarding Collier yet again, but adding her along with one of the above players and starting Nurse would really upgrade NY defensively and rebounding-wise. A statistical fact is that every championship team since 2010 has been in the top 3 of defensive efficiency. I feel like either Howard or Cunningham would be a great fit in those terms. Two players who are unquestioned leaders and intangible players on their respective teams. NY was missing that last year. Either Howard or Cunningham would give you more of that. A nice luxury to have off the bench. I agree that Howard is a good enough 3 point shooter that she could play the 3 spot. I think she'd be a player you'd groom in the hope she's better 3 years from now. Kind of like Nared on Vegas, who looked lost last year most of the time. But you can see the potential on both ends of the floor. And I think Howard would come in and be better than Nared because Howard is a really good finisher around the basket. I think she'd come in and help somewhat immediately, with an eye on development to be more than that down the road. She's definitely more of a college tweener in that you might not really see what she can do for several years. But I'll take talent and will to succeed at the 14 spot. And she'd be yet another player who could help our woeful offensive rebounding.

Will she be there at 14?

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NYL_WNBA_FAN"][quote="bballjunkie"][quote="NYL_WNBA_FAN"][quote="Nixtreefan"]Because unlike Antonelli, most GMs know that you actually have to have size and height to play in the paint in the W and just like Chicagos experiment last year with a more athletic player you cannot make someone into something that are not. Laughing

I remember her love of Mitchell last year, she would be the last person I would listen to.[/quote]

She's as tall as Howard and 15 pounds heavier and Seattle won a title last year so...

Collier isn't Gabby Williams no matter how many times you want to say that she is. She's a much more accomplished player in the paint, stronger, and a better scorer. Plus, she's essentially played the 5 spot for 2 years at UConn. The only parallel to Gabby Williams is that they both played at UConn. They're otherwise not really alike at all.[/quote]

This is not true and I don’t know why you have to dis Gabby Williams as she was much stronger and did not need nearly as many double teams against posts when she was in college as she was much quicker and could out rebound bigger players. Gabby was also a much better passer and could read the defense much better. One of the reasons we have had to dumb down our offense is because only Crystal and KLS know them. This is where we really miss Gabby.[/quote]

I’m making the point that Collier has been compared to Gabby repeatedly to dis Collier. I like Gabby’s upside...as a SF. I didn’t bring up Chicago in the thread as the example. I responded to it.

Collier is going to be a better WNBA rebounder than Gabby’s 4.3 in 23 mpg last year. A very low number for someone who played mostly 4 spot last year.

I’m also not arguing college performance. I’m arguing pro level potential. Gabby was miscast at the 4 spot last year. Not her fault. She should be developed as a 3 spot player. Unlike Collier who can more fluidly swing between the two positions. That’s all I’m saying. A better comparison for Collier is Alyssa Thomas if you’re talking physical attributes.

To say Collier doesn’t know the offense when she’s the primary screener 75% of the time yet is still second on the team in assists...that doesn’t even merit a response. Crystal and KLS possess the ball more often than Collier does and Collier still leads the team in scoring and is second in assists. She moves without the ball better than anyone I’ve seen this season.[/quote]

What are you psychic? FYI Gabby was the better rebounder in college. She also picked up tougher assignments and needed less help with those assignments. FYI the screener just screen and rolls, easy, they don’t have to make any decisions other than to roll, when Gabby played she did both as she was able to make those decisions. The people with the ball make the decisions.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/18/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wasn't talking about Williams being shorter Rolling Eyes My only reference to Williams was that the only comment I agreed with you on that she wasn't like Williams the rest I disagreed with LMAO AND just like Williams she has no SF skills and is a worse free throw shooter.

Collier is not 4 inches shorter than Howard. Maybe an inch. Howard is 6’2” or so. Howard has a length advantage but Collier is also nearly 20 pounds heavier. Collier is a better career FT shooter than Williams. As for the rest, time will tell.

“SF skills” can vary greatly. Depending on the system it can be totally different from 2 guard.

LMAO I said she was 4 inches shorter than Anigwe but keep on deflecting.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Wasn't talking about Williams being shorter Rolling Eyes My only reference to Williams was that the only comment I agreed with you on that she wasn't like Williams the rest I disagreed with LMAO AND just like Williams she has no SF skills and is a worse free throw shooter.

Collier is not 4 inches shorter than Howard. Maybe an inch. Howard is 6’2” or so. Howard has a length advantage but Collier is also nearly 20 pounds heavier. Collier is a better career FT shooter than Williams. As for the rest, time will tell.

“SF skills” can vary greatly. Depending on the system it can be totally different from 2 guard.

LMAO I said she was 4 inches shorter than Anigwe but keep on deflecting.

Uh ok. My bad. But not sure what Anigwe has to do with it, which I guess is why I misunderstood. My point is that Seattle won a title with a 6'4" 170 pound C and a 6"2" 165 pound PF. Not sure why Collier can't swing to the 4 spot at her size. That was my entire point without deflecting. The Chicago comparison that you made IMO doesn't make sense. Collier is built more like a WNBA PF than Gabby Williams. You also said that WNBA GMs know that size in the paint is necessary. Just because the undersized option didn't work in Chicago with a 5'11" player doesn't mean it hasn't worked elsewhere. Seattle made it work. Atlanta was a top defensive team with 6'1" Breland at the 4 spot. CT makes it work with Alyssa Thomas at the 4 spot. LA has made it work for years being undersized at every position except PG. DC made it to the finals with Latoya Sanders starting at C. If anything, the league is trending toward undersized lineups. In fact, every one of last year's top 6 teams could be classified as undersized at one or both post positions. One of my goals would be to match up better to quicker post players, something the Libs were woefully terrible at doing last year.

Alyssa Thomas has made a career of swinging between the two spots, with her productivity obviously better at the 4 spot. But that's with making 1 three-point shot in her entire WNBA career. Angel McCoughtry had a lower career 3 point percentage than Collier in college (obviously shooting at a much higher volume) with more turnovers than assists. Obviously Angel was a top player in terms of speed. But even with McCoughtry we've seen her evolve into a playmaker. My point with the comparison is that even a player like Angel developed certain skills. Not sure why Collier can't do the same in her area of weakness.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 02/18/19 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK OK, but in person,I don't think there is much difference in size than her and Williams. Seeing them in person gives me a different perspective.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every image I've seen shows Collier as being taller when they're side by side.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tried to post an image. I don't know how. Here's a link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=2sK9uUBH&id=8D66038D591B3DF7381E76C714ED5B0E3BB27E99&thid=OIP.2sK9uUBHX8WXiRJv6hD01wHaGG&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.theday.com%2fstoryimage%2fNL%2f20170213%2fSPORT07%2f170219670%2fEP%2f1%2f3%2fEP-170219670.jpg%26Maxw%3d960%26q%3d75&exph=791&expw=960&q=napheesa+collier+gabby+williams&simid=608020479840290240&selectedIndex=10&ajaxhist=0

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

FYI Gabby was the better rebounder in college.

Wrong. Collier has averaged 7.7 rebounds for her collegiate career...and that number is going up since Collier is at 10 per game this year. Gabby was 6.8.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NYL_WNBA_FAN"][quote="bballjunkie"]
FYI Gabby was the better rebounder in college.[/quote]

Wrong. Collier has averaged 7.7 rebounds for her collegiate career...and that number is going up since Collier is at 10 per game this year. Gabby was 6.8.[/quote]

Did you actually watch all the games for 4 years, ie who played, who they played with? I think the people picking actually don’t just go on random stats that are only reflective of numbers not who the players are playing with. But you do you.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Every image I've seen shows Collier as being taller when they're side by side.

But have you watched them on the court together? Wink I was at the UCLA game up front and center last year. Williams was by far the best athlete, stronger and man she could out jump everyone. That is why I thought she would be great in W but now I am tempering my expectations of those who don't play the position in college with what those think they can play it in the W.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four years worth of rebounding is not a random stat. Yeah I've seen each of them play like 25 times now. Collier is an excellent rebounder for 6'1". In my opinion she is going to be a better rebounder as a pro than Gabby Williams. Given Gabby was ok but nothing special as a rebounder last year, I think there's reason to believe that's so.

My whole point for my OP about Collier/Durr was only two things. It wasn't to criticize Gabby Williams. I like Gabby Williams. I think she was miscast as a 4 LY and I named undersized lineups that would actually work as examples that it can.

But my point was to say that I feel KATIE SMITH is a favorite to draft Collier. Not NYLWNBAFAN. I think that because they already two SGs and 4 posts on the roster. The only SF in size they have is Allen, who may not be healthy when the season starts. From a standpoint of how the roster is currently constructed, I have to think Smith is looking at Collier as a favorite. Especially since she showed almost no inclination to use Nurse as a 3 spot player LY. And she also showed an inclination to swing Coleman between the 3 or 4 spots. Certainly Collier can do that better than Coleman could. I thought that maybe other Libs fans would chime in from that perspective. Not from the perspective of criticizing a player who has no influence on the Libs. I don't care that much about Gabby Williams. I just think that using her as an example of a failed 4 spot experiment isn't the best one to use.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 02/18/19 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=2sK9uUBH&id=8D66038D591B3DF7381E76C714ED5B0E3BB27E99&thid=OIP.2sK9uUBHX8WXiRJv6hD01wHaGG&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.theday.com%2fstoryimage%2fNL%2f20170213%2fSPORT07%2f170219670%2fEP%2f1%2f3%2fEP-170219670.jpg%26Maxw%3d960%26q%3d75&exph=791&expw=960&q=napheesa+collier+gabby+williams&simid=608020479840290240&selectedIndex=10&ajaxhist=0

I’m not sure which picture you were trying to show. The main picture has Saniya Chong to the side and that could be Gabby in the back. Any height comparisons between Gabby and Collier are going to be very skewed with that picture.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I’m not sure which picture you were trying to show. The main picture has Saniya Chong to the side and that could be Gabby in the back. Any height comparisons between Gabby and Collier are going to be very skewed with that picture.

Clicking on the link I posted takes me directly to one picture. Not sure what you see.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fourth picture from the top in this article. They both are standing straight up next to each other.

https://www.theday.com/article/20170213/SPORT07/170219670

Is that Williams? Not sure. Oh well.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one? Looks like two inches to me.

https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-prod/media/media:6c45022651594905843a17e3f28c17a1/800.jpeg

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Fourth picture from the top in this article. They both are standing straight up next to each other.

https://www.theday.com/article/20170213/SPORT07/170219670

Is that Williams? Not sure. Oh well.

Like I said, that’s Saniya Chong to the side; Gabby in the back.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at the last one. Looks like a two-inch difference to me.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
This one? Looks like two inches to me.

Even if you were to assume they were both exactly the same distance from the camera, I think you’d have to discount some height from Collier because her hair is sitting up in the back. Collier looks to have longer arms, but Gabby has a better vertical. Gabby used to do the jump ball for UConn.

I think you’re trying a little too hard to think of Collier as a PF in the WNBA, which isn’t a position of need for the Liberty anyway, especially with the #2 pick.

UConn had Gabby listed at 5’11 and Collier at 6’1.
Okay, maybe Collier does edge out Gabby in height, but that doesn’t make her PF-sized in the WNBA. I thought we’ve moved way past that that discussion. I remember posting something about Collier recognizing she needs to add to her perimeter skills to be successful at the next level.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep saying this. I don't want her at PF as a primary position. I feel that she'd be a change of pace at PF against the Howards, Nnekas and Brelands. People who've killed us with quickness rather than size the last few seasons. Undersized 4 spots are all over the place and Collier has proven she can box out and rebound against 200 pound players. I think Katie Smith would view her in kind if she thought Coleman could do it last year. Unless she has the opinion that KLS can swing between the two spots. The facts are the facts in one simple sense. They don't have a SF. Smith showed no inclination to use Nurse last year there so I don't see her using Nurse to start there this year. That's why I don't think they're drafting Durr unless they make some type of other roster change.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

Shades just posted a pic of her with a bunch of coaches at the UCLA-Cal game. Looks like just a trip to Cali to view a couple of games and a pair of first round picks. Nothing more. It's probably a good opportunity to talk deal with the other coaches too.

doing her due diligence, Anigwe is looking like she will be the wild card in the draft. cuz i've watched enuff of Durr/Collier through the years i feel confident either one will contribute right away

LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/18/19 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I like Howard too. She plays like a winner. One thing about that #14 pick is I think we need a third PG. I am scared to go into the season with just Boyd and Hartley. That's an injury away from Nurse playing PG. With all the backcourt injuries we had last year I think we need a third PG somewhere.

I watched a little of Kursk last night, including one game where Tina was there. It was just one game plus a little more, but I thought Piph looked nothing like the player she once was. She's not even looking to score or create. No explosiveness. No D at all...and I know it was never her strength...but it's IMO worse than ever.

She's got to be in a good place financially, having played there for years, from when her game was at a high point. Meaning she doesn't HAVE to play in the WNBA for financial reasons, I don't think.

Right now, assuming Tina plays, we'd have:

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/Sugar
Allen
#2 and #14 picks
Tina/Nayo
Stokes/Zahui

That's 11. So it's conceivable that we'd be bringing one of Piph or Z back I guess. It's also conceivable that we'd get a PG somewhere outside of the draft. I just don't know what's out there. I know nobody likes Mabrey but I'm hard-pressed to believe that a productive player like her who plays PG on a top 10 team is going to last till round 3. I could be wrong there, but we will see. But separate from that, I see players like Howard or Cunningham being potentially nice additions in that 14 range. I like Howard better than Cunningham skill-wise...however Cunningham would bring a player who other teams hate playing against. We already have one in Nurse who plays on the edge. I would not mind having a second one who does.

I don't want to beat too much of a dead horse regarding Collier yet again, but adding her along with one of the above players and starting Nurse would really upgrade NY defensively and rebounding-wise. A statistical fact is that every championship team since 2010 has been in the top 3 of defensive efficiency. I feel like either Howard or Cunningham would be a great fit in those terms. Two players who are unquestioned leaders and intangible players on their respective teams. NY was missing that last year. Either Howard or Cunningham would give you more of that. A nice luxury to have off the bench. I agree that Howard is a good enough 3 point shooter that she could play the 3 spot. I think she'd be a player you'd groom in the hope she's better 3 years from now. Kind of like Nared on Vegas, who looked lost last year most of the time. But you can see the potential on both ends of the floor. And I think Howard would come in and be better than Nared because Howard is a really good finisher around the basket. I think she'd come in and help somewhat immediately, with an eye on development to be more than that down the road. She's definitely more of a college tweener in that you might not really see what she can do for several years. But I'll take talent and will to succeed at the 14 spot. And she'd be yet another player who could help our woeful offensive rebounding.

Will she be there at 14?

i think Howard will be there at 14, i could see Washington or seattle scoop her up, Phoenix? maybe cuz they have the 8th/13th picks

Nared was one of my fav players last year coming out of the draft, i wanted Nared over Nurse but i was wrong on that Nurse brings more to the table on the defensive end.

i think there will be solid PG's to pick up, nobody is talking about her (Credit Shades for bringing her up) but Chloe Jackson from Baylor has done a great job runing the point. and she has a great pull-up Jumper and step back game. i like her and Paris Kea to be in that 2nd-3rd round range.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
i think there will be solid PG's to pick up, nobody is talking about her (Credit Shades for bringing her up) but Chloe Jackson from Baylor has done a great job runing the point. and she has a great pull-up Jumper and step back game. i like her and Paris Kea to be in that 2nd-3rd round range.

I was being sarcastic when I brought her up, because the argument was since Cazorla was “the PG” of a top team, that must mean she’s a great player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 24 of 91

Jump to: