RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/12/19 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a difference in the ultimate goal. I think most WNBA owners hope for the day when their franchises become money-making ventures. Most don't want to keep absorbing large losses. That's not the case overseas. They don't ever expect to make money. Teams just hope that the current sponsor continues, and if that doesn't happen, they look for a new sponsor.

PostPosted: 02/12/19 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA should really consider whether its business model - based on a hard salary cap and limiting salaries to big stars is a failure. It is pretty much a minor league model where teams have low budgets and try to make a profit in a town or leave. Except it doesn't work.

A "sky is the limit but there is no floor" CBA would allow teams to spend as much or as little as they want. If they are cheap they could still be in the WNBA and maybe lose a lot of games. Some teams now lose a lot games. On the other hand wealthy ego maniacs might like the idea of buying a championship by outspending other owners. In that case franchise values for owner that didn't want to stick around would probably allow their teams to be sold quickly, and for more than they are worth now. After 20 years the crowds are thin and declining, the teams are financial losers and the players don't like the CBA anyway. They are all pretty much used to the overseas model where they can get their market value.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the fear is that too many owners would just quit, leaving only four or five franchises.

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The WNBA should really consider whether its business model - based on a hard salary cap and limiting salaries to big stars is a failure. It is pretty much a minor league model where teams have low budgets and try to make a profit in a town or leave. Except it doesn't work.

A "sky is the limit but there is no floor" CBA would allow teams to spend as much or as little as they want. If they are cheap they could still be in the WNBA and maybe lose a lot of games. Some teams now lose a lot games. On the other hand wealthy ego maniacs might like the idea of buying a championship by outspending other owners. In that case franchise values for owner that didn't want to stick around would probably allow their teams to be sold quickly, and for more than they are worth now. After 20 years the crowds are thin and declining, the teams are financial losers and the players don't like the CBA anyway. They are all pretty much used to the overseas model where they can get their market value.

Under the current system, a star player can hold out and name the team of choice because they can make so much more money elsewhere. There is no incentive to play in the WNBA other than it's home for most or maybe that they can measure up against the best. So the question is: Does raising a salty cap substantially kill the league because of higher expenses. Is there anything that will boost attendance or revenue? Any other questions to address under the category of saving the leaguem

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
There is no incentive to play in the WNBA other than it's home for most or maybe that they can measure up against the best.

There must be more incentives than you realize. Can you name one American star player that doesn’t want to play in the WNBA? Their sponsorships want them to play in the WNBA. Some sponsorships are big money. Can you guess what Jordan Brands paid Maya? EDD and Diggins have never even played in overseas leagues, so they must be doing pretty good. Wilson probably doesn’t need to play overseas. Doing well in the WNBA always raises your stock for overseas. Why do think so many international players want to play in the WNBA? What’s their incentive?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think the fear is that too many owners would just quit, leaving only four or five franchises.

yeah, my thought too.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
There is no incentive to play in the WNBA other than it's home for most or maybe that they can measure up against the best.

for most of us mere mortals making $100,000 for a few months work would be incentivizing. Not all of them can make fortunes overseas either. And living and working in some countries isn't all a bed of roses.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It should also be pointed out that a 100K salary for a WNBA player is different from the general public in other ways. If a person can have a 30-year career in their occupation with a pension or retirement plan, that’s a different type of long-term security. Other than the stars making mega amounts of money overseas, a WNBA career alone does not provide long-term security. Nor does it account for the physical toll placed on one’s body, especially those who play year-round.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
It should also be pointed out that a 100K salary for a WNBA player is different from the general public in other ways. If a person can have a 30-year career in their occupation with a pension or retirement plan, that’s a different type of long-term security. Other than the stars making mega amounts of money overseas, a WNBA career alone does not provide long-term security. Nor does it account for the physical toll placed on one’s body, especially those who play year-round.

That's true. However, it is also likely that if they were paid housing + 25k for the WNBA season teams would have no problem filling their rosters. (That's more than the d-league and minor league teams in other sports pay). My impression is that the WNBL for example, has a low pay scale as well. Now, I admit the quality of the players wouldn't be as good, but there would be no shortage.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/14/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the WNBL players are the equivalent of high school kids. They are either amateurs or only nominally paid. I remember Lauren Scherf with Dandenong a few years ago. She used to miss games because she had to take exams. Rebecca Allen played on a team where the coach's daughter was one of the players. I think she was 14 when the season started. So, the WNBL is not really a great comparison.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

That's true. However, it is also likely that if they were paid housing + 25k for the WNBA season teams would have no problem filling their rosters. (That's more than the d-league and minor league teams in other sports pay). My impression is that the WNBL, for example, has a low pay scale as well. Now, I admit the quality of the players wouldn't be as good, but there would be no shortage.

I agree. I remember when the Tulsa Shock had open tryouts in 2010 and 40 women paid them $120 to attend.

In the first or second year of the WNBA, they had some salaries that were down below 20K according to a list I saw.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/19 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
In the first or second year of the WNBA, they had some salaries that were down below 20K according to a list I saw.

Not nearly as far off from the current minimum as it sounds, once you adjust for inflation over 22 years.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

Not nearly as far off from the current minimum as it sounds, once you adjust for inflation over 22 years.

I found this 2013 LA Times article that says that the minimum and maximum salaries in 1997 were $15,000 and $50,000. Using the online US Inflation Calculator it looks like WNBA player negotiations have exceeded inflation. $15,000/$50,000 in 1997 translates to $23,524.49/$78,414.95 right now. According to the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, the minimum salary for 2019 is $41,965 for 0-2 years experience, and $56,375 for 3+ years of experience. The maximum salary is $117,500 if you have 6+ year of experience and sign with your current team, or $115,000 otherwise.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back to draft discussion:

At this point, unless Ionescu comes out and the Libs make some type of blockbuster trade to move up from 2 to 1, I'm thinking that the choices have now narrowed down to Durr or Collier. I have several reasons. First off, I'd think if Z or Piph were returning via UFA, they'd already have done so, particularly Piph, who is from NY and doesn't really need the money. Secondly I think McCowan is out because LV is going to ultimately want her either as #1 or via trade. Secondly I think NY has its 4 posts already and Katie Smith has shown a desire to want undersized lineups over more conventional ones. The undersized trend largely was successful for teams in 2018, so I'd expect the Libs to continue to try to mirror that if able. That's why even though I personally want Collier, putting that aside, I think the Libs' choice may also very well be Collier based on how they've constructed their roster to this point. Their only true SF right now is Allen, who may not even be healthy when the season starts. Beyond that, I'm not sold that they want their entire SF responsibility to be in the hands of Nurse. Not even sure based on LY's minutes that they would have wanted the primary responsibility in Z's hands. Enter Collier, who has enough size and speed with just enough face-up ability to play the position, while also filling that undersized 4 spot that Katie Smith loves.

Anyway, here's the case for each player:

The case for Durr: I see Durr as markedly improved over her junior season. Her numbers may not reflect the extent to which her game has changed, but I love the improved step-back jumper even when contested. It's not only reminiscent of a young James Harden but it's enabled her to get to the foul line at an increased rate because you have to really be ready to close out even as Durr is dribbling. She's not a speed player, nor a pure playmaker, but she's got good open-floor ability and excellent balance and body control near the basket. She's also not bad going right. I've gone from not being a big fan to now thinking that she's a future star. Shot creation is something that not all players feature, but Durr can flat-out do that. Her defense and rebounding are ordinary but if you can live with that, her offense has high upside upon WNBA development, IMO.

The case for Collier: Clearly the most versatile player in the draft. I think her stock went up in the South Carolina game because she demonstrated her open-court ability and speed by going coast-to-coast a few times against one of the fastest teams in the country. Further, she held her own inside against some strong players physically. She can defend both 3s and 4s, and I'm personally of the opinion that she will eventually be a first-team WNBA defensive player due to her suddenness, lateral ability, desire and basketball IQ. People have compared her to Gabby Williams. I don't see that at all. I see Alyssa Thomas with a 15 foot jumper. She's got handle (she's not Sue Bird but for a 6'2" 180-190 pound player it's quite good), playmaking ability, speed, and size and strength. She can also finish at multiple angles at the rim, just like Thomas. Unlike Thomas, Collier can also play a face-up game out to about 15-18 feet. She's basically played C for two years. Put her in a combo wing's role and you'll see her perimeter game improve. She didn't shoot 44 from 3 and 80 from the line two years ago by accident. Further, I think Katie Smith has to be actively considering drafting Collier. She loves that ability to switch to an undersized 4. If she thought Coleman could do it, she has to be thinking Collier can. As such, you could feature a variety of lineups:

Boyd-Nurse-Collier-TIna-Stokes/AZB

Hartley-Sugar-Nurse-Collier-Tina

Hartley-Nurse/Sugar-Collier-Tina-AZB

Two of the above would be "space the floor" options. It would give you the depth you need at both the 3 and 4 spots. Given the lack of re-signings at this point, and what Katie Smith has shown herself to want to do as a coach, right now I consider Collier the odds-on favorite to be drafted by NY. Of course, we will see what personnel changes might still be made, but if all things stay the same, this is what I think. Drafting Durr would mean Nurse would be the starting SF with only Allen behind her off the bench. Considering Nurse wasn't even the first SF OFF THE BENCH last year, I seriously doubt Katie Smith is going to want her to be a starting SF if there's another option readily available.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this stage in her career, it's likely best for Charles to remain at the 4 spot. This is why I've been pushing to have Zahui B start at center. Stokes isn't much of a "banger" inside, but Zahui B has built up the toughness to deal with a lot of the stronger posts inside. Zahui B also provides more offense than Stokes and with Raincock-Ekunwe back, she can play a lot more minutes at center. I think the team needs offense first and that's why I'm in favor of drafting Durr at #2 and the best available post at #14.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 02/17/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

right now I consider Collier the odds-on favorite to be drafted by NY.

How about going all UConn

Hartley-Nurse-Collier-Tina-Stokes?

Smile

BTW - Debbie Antonelli said today she consider Collier the No. 1 draft in the WNBA - figures Willson wouldn't want to play with a big center. (I'm thinking though she is not assuming Ionescu comes out.)

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

right now I consider Collier the odds-on favorite to be drafted by NY.

How about going all UConn

Hartley-Nurse-Collier-Tina-Stokes?

Smile

BTW - Debbie Antonelli said today she consider Collier the No. 1 draft in the WNBA - figures Willson wouldn't want to play with a big center. (I'm thinking though she is not assuming Ionescu comes out.)

I heard Debbie Antonelli say the same thing a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what to make of the possibility of Collier to Vegas. On one hand, I think Laimbeer would clearly want Collier. He had success with Cash and Pierson, two players who swung quite nicely between the 3 and 4 spots earlier in their careers. OTOH, he has said he considers Wilson a PF, an assertion that has been demonstrated as one of his "true" statements, lol. Wilson also had success with two big C's last year, so I think it's entirely possible for her to do the same with McCowan. I think Wilson at C is doable...undersized lineups had success last year in the WNBA. Not sure you want that as your primary lineup on a Laimbeer team though. It also hasn't been his pattern going back to Tina Charles' move to the 4 spot. Fairly sure his thought process hasn't changed. Then again, Seattle won a WNBA title with a 170 pound C. Trends can cause changes in one's thought process.

Personally, I'm not sure why Collier hasn't gotten more acclaim in mock drafts. I know she has the "tweener" tag but she has such a diversity of skills, I'd think that diversity would draw more positive attention. I'm really hoping Ionescu comes out because I'd feel more relaxed about the Liberty getting one of what I feel are the two most desirable players in the country. It will be very interesting to see what Vegas does. I feel McCowan would do more for them than she would for any team in the league. Not only do they need better rim protection but she'd be in an ideal place to learn and succeed. She is, however, IMO, clearly the fourth best player in the draft if Ionescu comes out.

If Ionescu and Young come out I think you're potentially looking at the best purely collegiate draft in WNBA history. There's a lot of intrigue there. I'd expect every one of the top 8 or 9 to have some type of immediate WNBA contribution in that scenario. For some it might be off the bench with some future upside. But you'd have both depth and star power at the top.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 02/17/19 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because unlike Antonelli, most GMs know that you actually have to have size and height to play in the paint in the W and just like Chicagos experiment last year with a more athletic player you cannot make someone into something that are not. Laughing

I remember her love of Mitchell last year, she would be the last person I would listen to.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Because unlike Antonelli, most GMs know that you actually have to have size and height to play in the paint in the W and just like Chicagos experiment last year with a more athletic player you cannot make someone into something that are not. Laughing

I remember her love of Mitchell last year, she would be the last person I would listen to.

She's as tall as Howard and 15 pounds heavier and Seattle won a title last year so...

Collier isn't Gabby Williams no matter how many times you want to say that she is. She's a much more accomplished player in the paint, stronger, and a better scorer. Plus, she's essentially played the 5 spot for 2 years at UConn. The only parallel to Gabby Williams is that they both played at UConn. They're otherwise not really alike at all.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are right that she is not Williams who is an athletic beast but not with your other comments IMO, Williams was much stronger and a better leaper, and she is no where near as tall as Howard. I watched her in person at Cal and she was 4 inches shorter than Anigwe, which is why they had to double Anigwe.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
You are right that she is not Williams who is an athletic beast but not with your other comments IMO, Williams was much stronger and a better leaper, and she is no where near as tall as Howard. I watched her in person at Cal and she was 4 inches shorter than Anigwe, which is why they had to double Anigwe.

I was comparing Collier to Howard. I have very little interest in Gabby Williams by comparison in relation to the Libs. I know Williams is shorter than Howard. She’s shorter than Collier too. That’s my point.

Collier is much stronger than Williams. She fights off the strongest player on the opposing team most nights and gets double digit rebounds or close just about every game. And she also has better SF skills than Williams.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't talking about Williams being shorter Rolling Eyes My only reference to Williams was that the only comment I agreed with you on that she wasn't like Williams the rest I disagreed with LMAO AND just like Williams she has no SF skills and is a worse free throw shooter.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NYL_WNBA_FAN"][quote="Nixtreefan"]Because unlike Antonelli, most GMs know that you actually have to have size and height to play in the paint in the W and just like Chicagos experiment last year with a more athletic player you cannot make someone into something that are not. Laughing

I remember her love of Mitchell last year, she would be the last person I would listen to.[/quote]

She's as tall as Howard and 15 pounds heavier and Seattle won a title last year so...

Collier isn't Gabby Williams no matter how many times you want to say that she is. She's a much more accomplished player in the paint, stronger, and a better scorer. Plus, she's essentially played the 5 spot for 2 years at UConn. The only parallel to Gabby Williams is that they both played at UConn. They're otherwise not really alike at all.[/quote]

This is not true and I don’t know why you have to dis Gabby Williams as she was much stronger and did not need nearly as many double teams against posts when she was in college as she was much quicker and could out rebound bigger players. Gabby was also a much better passer and could read the defense much better. One of the reasons we have had to dumb down our offense is because only Crystal and KLS know them. This is where we really miss Gabby.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Collier isn't Gabby Williams no matter how many times you want to say that she is. She's a much more accomplished player in the paint, stronger, and a better scorer. Plus, she's essentially played the 5 spot for 2 years at UConn. The only parallel to Gabby Williams is that they both played at UConn. They're otherwise not really alike at all.

This is not true and I don’t know why you have to dis Gabby Williams as she was much stronger and did not need nearly as many double teams against posts when she was in college as she was much quicker and could out rebound bigger players. Gabby was also a much better passer and could read the defense much better. One of the reasons we have had to dumb down our offense is because only Crystal and KLS know them. This is where we really miss Gabby.

I’m making the point that Collier has been compared to Gabby repeatedly to dis Collier. I like Gabby’s upside...as a SF. I didn’t bring up Chicago in the thread as the example. I responded to it.

Collier is going to be a better WNBA rebounder than Gabby’s 4.3 in 23 mpg last year. A very low number for someone who played mostly 4 spot last year.

I’m also not arguing college performance. I’m arguing pro level potential. Gabby was miscast at the 4 spot last year. Not her fault. She should be developed as a 3 spot player. Unlike Collier who can more fluidly swing between the two positions. That’s all I’m saying. A better comparison for Collier is Alyssa Thomas if you’re talking physical attributes.

To say Collier doesn’t know the offense when she’s the primary screener 75% of the time yet is still second on the team in assists...that doesn’t even merit a response. Crystal and KLS possess the ball more often than Collier does and Collier still leads the team in scoring and is second in assists. She moves without the ball better than anyone I’ve seen this season.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Wasn't talking about Williams being shorter Rolling Eyes My only reference to Williams was that the only comment I agreed with you on that she wasn't like Williams the rest I disagreed with LMAO AND just like Williams she has no SF skills and is a worse free throw shooter.

Collier is not 4 inches shorter than Howard. Maybe an inch. Howard is 6’2” or so. Howard has a length advantage but Collier is also nearly 20 pounds heavier. Collier is a better career FT shooter than Williams. As for the rest, time will tell.

“SF skills” can vary greatly. Depending on the system it can be totally different from 2 guard.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 23 of 91

Jump to: