RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if we're going to second guess, I wanted McCowan and I still think that would have been the best pick!

As for 2020, again I doubt Sabally will come out early because of her sister. So if you don't get Ionescu or Cox, then it's a big drop-off after that. I've always liked Mompremier going back to her Baylor days, but I don't see anything special about her as a WNBA prospect. Good athlete, but what's her pro-ready skill? I suppose Dangerfield could be a more athletic Leilani Mitchell. I'm just not thrilled about getting smaller on the perimeter when we're already a bit undersized. Besides, there are some half-decent PGs available later in the draft that we can get at #13. Kaila Charles has been mentioned, but NY doesn't need another wing player -- especially one who has no range on her shot. Alarie is intriguing, but at this point she's mostly a project. I guess all we can do is hope that someone like Joyner Holmes finally stops being an underachiever and performs to her potential. But even if she does, Holmes is likely a power forward, not a center.

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have been the happiest Liberty fan if they had drafted Collier. But that's with 90% hindsight. I don't follow the college game and I only watched the semi-final games of the Final 4. I was basically tuning in to watch the players RebKell had been talking about. As I recall, Collier did not have a great game, but I was very impressed by all the intangibles she displayed.

However, not everyone here was sold. A lot of stuff about her being a tweener: too small to play the 4, not the right offensive skills for a 3. There was doubt if she could score enough.

Every player had her strength and weaknesses, the way I read it. I thought the Liberty's greatest need was reliable perimeter shooting. Based on that, I thought that Durr was the right choice. I only watched the video of her best game, which even at the time I figured meant nothing: everyone looks amazing in their best game. I did look at Arike's stats and thought she would be a good choice, but it seemed to me that Durr was the RebKell choice amongst the shooters.

I really wish we had Collier; she's exactly the kind of player I like to root for. Until Kiah Stokes comes back, I'd go as far as saying she's my favorite player in the league (which is very strange: I have never had a favorite player who did not play for a New York team before). I think the Lynx are my 2nd WNBA team now. Always behind the Liberty, but give me Liberty or give me Lynx!

I'll give the Liberty a pass on Collier: this was the type of draft where there were a bunch of players rated equally. It seemed like it was a perfect draft to select a player at a position of need.

However, they don't get a pass on missing on Arike. They wanted a shooter? Right now, it sure does look like they chose the wrong one. Arike has her question marks still, but unless Asia was badly hampered by injury in the minutes she did play, she looks rather ordinary.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
I believe Asia Durr will be a good one, but seeing Young, Collier, and Arike having good rookie seasons and all 3 has a chance for ROY makes me jelly

We have to admit Durr didn't have the rookie season we thought or I thought she would be. She did had some impact for us but kinda went MIA.

Judging by Katie Smith’s handling of young players, I’d doubt that Collier or Arike would have gotten the minutes and the opportunities to perform that they received on their respective teams. Durr shot 47% from the field and even without getting to the line much was pretty efficient with her opportunities. So I totally hear what you’re saying but think on most young teams Durr would have been provided a far greater opportunity to show her stuff. And this is coming from someone who wanted Collier.

FACTS. i forgot to point that out how bad Katie handled Durr and the team in general. i thought she should of gotten some opportunities at the PG spot.

with how bad Boyd and Hartley played at PG and all the turnovers she should have gotten a shot, i think that would of got Durr more involved in the game instead of waiting for someone to pass her the ball.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Judging by Katie Smith’s handling of young players, I’d doubt that Collier or Arike would have gotten the minutes and the opportunities to perform that they received on their respective teams. Durr shot 47% from the field and even without getting to the line much was pretty efficient with her opportunities. So I totally hear what you’re saying but think on most young teams Durr would have been provided a far greater opportunity to show her stuff. And this is coming from someone who wanted Collier.

Definitely agree. I didn't like the way Katie Smith handled Kia Nurse's rookie season and I haven't liked the way she's handled Asia Durr's rookie season. It's certainly true that Durr would have had a far greater opportunity to show her stuff on a young team. I'd just add that, as with Nurse, Durr could have been used better as a rookie even on this team.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Well, if we're going to second guess, I wanted McCowan and I still think that would have been the best pick!

As for 2020, again I doubt Sabally will come out early because of her sister. So if you don't get Ionescu or Cox, then it's a big drop-off after that. I've always liked Mompremier going back to her Baylor days, but I don't see anything special about her as a WNBA prospect. Good athlete, but what's her pro-ready skill? I suppose Dangerfield could be a more athletic Leilani Mitchell. I'm just not thrilled about getting smaller on the perimeter when we're already a bit undersized. Besides, there are some half-decent PGs available later in the draft that we can get at #13. Kaila Charles has been mentioned, but NY doesn't need another wing player -- especially one who has no range on her shot. Alarie is intriguing, but at this point she's mostly a project. I guess all we can do is hope that someone like Joyner Holmes finally stops being an underachiever and performs to her potential. But even if she does, Holmes is likely a power forward, not a center.

i was last minute on wanting Collier.

with how bad our Defense was this year, you right McCowan would of been a good rim protecter and rebounder for us and help Tina out ALOT

but shoulda woulda coulda game hurts my soul lol hopefull Durr can end this convo in the future

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

She would have been a great pick too, at a position where the Liberty need help. With 20-20 hindsight I'd take her over every rookie except Collier. McCowan is an absolute beast, but Napheesa is the type of player who makes everyone around her better. It's fair to say that I'm biased when it comes to Collier, but I really do try to be objective even if it's a player I love or hate.

I think that Collier and McCowan are going to be career All-Star players. Arike could turn out to be a legendary scorer. The Liberty passed on all 3 of them.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/22/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points about the possibility of Katie wasting rookie talent. Collier's got Cheryl Reeve whispering in her ear. Things could be different with Katie. But Napheesa is such a complete basketball player. I think she might be able to rise above the coach and increase her minutes just by her play. She wouldn't have been an All-Star this year, but by the end of the season, Katie would have figured it out, and we'd all be euphoric about our rookie.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/22/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

As for 2020, again I doubt Sabally will come out early because of her sister.

My bad on Sabally. For some reason I thought you had said earlier you thought she would come out but that's my error. If Sabally does not come out I see this as a sharp decline after the top 2 as well.

On McCowan, she would have been my 2a or 2b choice, but it's definitely a pick I would have supported. I think we thought the same about her. Definite rebounder. Impact player around the rim defensively. Work in progress on offense with some upside for at least some easy baskets as a rookie. She's done exactly that, and at 8.1 rpg playing only around 20 minutes a night, the upside is clearly there for her to physically dominate.

Long term I guess it could still work out for the best this way as I tend to think had we drafted Collier or McCowan, the resultant defensive and rebounding improvements might have placed us outside the lottery.

PostPosted: 08/22/19 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think Durr is going to be really good.

I always thought Arike was going to be good I saw both her and Asia as the future all-stars from this class and even though Asia was my first choice i did consistently wonder if Ogunbowale was going to be the better of the two.

I was wrong about both Collier and McCowan they are both really good, Collier can play the SF on this level and McCowan can keep up with the pace enough to be a dominant Center and defensive force. I still will wait another season or two before declaring I was wrong about Durr, but picking McCowan or Collier would have been very good (if not better) alternative options.

2020 I am all in on Ionescu. I like Cox, Mompremier and Charles but if not #1 I would listen to trade offers for our pick. If we trade the pick it would have to be for a very good PG, SF or C ideally in the 24 to 27 year old range, or a decent PG, C or SF as part of a trade down.

For example I would consider something like;
#2/3 pick and Hartley for Deshields
#2/3 pick and Hartley for Diggins-Smith
#2/3 pick and Stokes for J. Jones
(I don't think Hartley or Stokes have enough value to trade on their own but could move the needle enough when combined with a high lottery pick to make the trade more viable.)
or trading down
#2/3 pick for Copper and Chicago's #7/8 pick
#2/3 pick for Cloud and Washington number #11/12 pick
#2/3 pick to LV for Plum and #9-11 pick
#2/3 pick to Dallas for Jefferson and #4 pick (maybe have to throw in our 2nd rounder or Harltey as well)

not saying do these trades just trying to guage realistic value
Also if Chennedy Carter comes out early it may change how I feel about trading the #2/3 pick Ionescu would be my first choice but if Carter is an option for NY as our future PG a t2 or 3 I would have to think long and hard about trading the pick. Carter/Durr/Nurse while not Ionescu/Durr/Nurse is still very intriguing as a perimeter on the offensive end to combine with Charles and ideally a large post free agent.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/23/19 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Durr is going to be an all star. Not her fault that she got hurt or how she was utilized when healthy. Her finishing ability is better than I thought it would be..and I think it is going to be an enormously positive attribute in her future performance.

And as I noted earlier, the 47% from the field is key for me in terms of evaluating her future, especially since I think she's going to improve significantly as a long-range shooter. The only stat I was really prepared to look at in evaluating her future coming into the season was FG%, because I fully expected her to be under 40 for the season. So, looking at how she created her midrange shot in nearly unstoppable fashion while being reasonably efficient, she actually EXCEEDED my expectations in spite of moderate point totals. As much as I love Collier and like McCowan, moving forward, I think Durr's ceiling is extremely high.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Chennedy Carter, tremendous talent and wants the ball in crunch time. But how will she react to being a third or fourth option in an offense? I think back to the players who left the program while she was a part of it and wonder if a factor in that equation was that those players felt they weren't going to have a reasonable share of the offensive opportunities.

When I see Carter, I think Allen Iverson taking Sixers teams with mediocre offensive talent to the NBA finals before losing. It seemed like he functioned best in a structure where he was far and away the primary option. Chennedy Carter is very similar as a college player. I'm not sure she'd mix well with Durr or Nurse...never mind having Tina in the post clogging up penetration lanes that Carter will probably want available for herself. I just don't see that being a successful mix.

She's also only 5'7", where it's awfully hard to excel taking a disproportionate amount of shots in the W at that height. Granted that she is very uniquely talented but even at that talent level...you have to be willing to facilitate for others at that height.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think Durr is going to be an all star. Not her fault that she got hurt or how she was utilized when healthy. Her finishing ability is better than I thought it would be..and I think it is going to be an enormously positive attribute in her future performance.

And as I noted earlier, the 47% from the field is key for me in terms of evaluating her future, especially since I think she's going to improve significantly as a long-range shooter. The only stat I was really prepared to look at in evaluating her future coming into the season was FG%, because I fully expected her to be under 40 for the season. So, looking at how she created her midrange shot in nearly unstoppable fashion while being reasonably efficient, she actually EXCEEDED my expectations in spite of moderate point totals. As much as I love Collier and like McCowan, moving forward, I think Durr's ceiling is extremely high.

I agree with all this. It's true that a few players drafted after Durr have had better rookie seasons. Perhaps one or more of them will ultimately have better WNBA careers than Durr. But I feel confident that Durr will prove to be an excellent player and in no way a "mistake" draft pick.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/23/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

If Durr's is indeed an All-Star, then there's no problem passing on the other players. I just wasn't excited by what I saw, so right now I am definitely grumbling a bit. I was surprised to see that she has shot 47% from the floor (and that's great to see), but she only shot 29.4% from 3 point range. That's the 3rd lowest on the team; only Tina Charles and Brittney Boyd are worse (even Han is 1 for 3). The reason I thought she was the best choice before the draft was due of the Liberty's desperate need for a perimeter shooter.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/23/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn’t worry about the 3. She didn’t shoot it well her senior year at Louisville either...after shooting really well the year before. Even elite shooters have fluctuations in three point percentage, especially given that 34 games is a smaller sample size than that other sports. That part of her game will be ok. It makes the overall FG % that much more impressive.

Durr is also a smooth player in her movements. Which can make it appear that a player is trying less hard than they really are, but Durr runs the floor hard and works hard on D. She’s not great in any area besides scoring, but I foresee substantial improvements in her playmaking too. Maybe next year when presumably they’ll let her touch the ball more often.

That said, who’d have believed Collier would be shooting a higher 3 point percentage than Durr to this point?

PostPosted: 08/23/19 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People can get too impatient with rookies. Asia Durr shot terribly in her first two preseason games and looked nervous. The tone of some comments here was great worry, based on an absurdly small and initial sample.

Perhaps in September 2020 and September 2021 there will be reason to say I was wrong. But I believe Durr will be just fine over time, including in shooting three-pointers.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/23/19 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
That said, who’d have believed Collier would be shooting a higher 3 point percentage than Durr to this point?

Probably no one, but it should be noted that Collier only takes threes when she is completely unguarded. Teams still don't seem to be respecting her outside shooting all that much in their defensive schemes.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/23/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
People can get too impatient with rookies.

Oh, absolutely. But when two rookies step up and are (or close to being) the best players on their teams, there's a huge contrast that's worthy of comment. It seems like a best case scenario that Durr's as good as them.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/23/19 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
People can get too impatient with rookies.

Oh, absolutely. But when two rookies step up and are (or close to being) the best players on their teams, there's a huge contrast that's worthy of comment. It seems like a best case scenario that Durr's as good as them.

The great play of other rookies is absolutely worthy of comment. That doesn't mean that three years from now they'll be viewed as better players than Durr. If you think that's guaranteed, then I will simply disagree.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/23/19 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Asia Durr wasn’t put in a position to be great. You can’t be great if you aren’t an offensive option for extended stretches. That said, I believe the offensive adjustments after the all star break would have featured Durr with greater frequency, but her health hasn’t cooperated. I’d say what I often say when it comes to assessing players. You’ve gotta look at attributes as much as performance. Durr’s attributes project really well. She’s one of the best at creating her own shot and her finishing ability is up there with just about any guard. Those are huge attributes for a scorer. Assuming she stays healthy in the future, she’s going to be a big-time scorer. Of that I’m 100% certain. Her attributes are too good for her not to be.

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought today was the Liberty's best chance to win another game. Now that they've lost, getting back into the 44.2% race is very realistic. They've got Washington twice, Connecticut once, and Phoenix once. Those should be easy losses. The last two games are against Indiana and Atlanta. If New York loses to the Fever, they will not only "catch" Indiana but also lose the season series. That gives NY the tankbreaker. Then, all we have to do is go down to Atlanta and let Katie unleash her usual coaching creativity. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I thought today was the Liberty's best chance to win another game. Now that they've lost, getting back into the 44.2% race is very realistic. They've got Washington twice, Connecticut once, and Phoenix once. Those should be easy losses. The last two games are against Indiana and Atlanta. If New York loses to the Fever, they will not only "catch" Indiana but also lose the season series. That gives NY the tankbreaker. Then, all we have to do is go down to Atlanta and let Katie unleash her usual coaching creativity. Very Happy

Liberty won't have a chance in that game. Angel will be back.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/23/19 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Back to play for real, or back to make a token Nykesha Sales-style cameo for the fans? Because it seems crazy to me to risk her health in a meaningless final game.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Back to play for real, or back to make a token Nykesha Sales-style cameo for the fans? Because it seems crazy to me to risk her health in a meaningless final game.

It will be a Willis Reed-type inspirational performance. Angel comes out, hits her first two shots, then pandemonium ensues. Her teammates and fans are in a frenzy. Afterward, Collen pulls McCoughtry. She sits for the rest of the game.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It will be a Willis Reed-type inspirational performance. Angel comes out, hits her first two shots, then pandemonium ensues. Her teammates and fans are in a frenzy. Afterward, Collen pulls McCoughtry. She sits for the rest of the game.

But you left out the relevant 1970 ending. (Which I'm old enough to remember vividly.) Angel's inspiring performance, hitting her first and only two shots, carries the Dream to winning the 2019 WNBA championship. Even though they may be 6-27 going into that final regular season game against the Liberty.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/24/19 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walt Frazier put up 36 points and 19 assists in that game. I'm expecting Renee Montgomery to do something similar.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 85 of 91

Jump to: