RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/16/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I guess it was the word “repeatedly” that jumped out at me even more. “Repeatedly” as in media members have “repeatedly” asked them their opinions of Smith’s coaching and thus they have to “repeatedly” back her? Or do they go out of their way to defend her, in which she has their loyalty? Obviously few are going to be publicly honest if they do harbor negative feelings about their coach in particular. I’m just casually curious about the legitimacy and context of players apparently defending Smith, that’s all.

Yeah, even if Charles was the main one running the “No Hate-y for Katie” group, I don’t think it makes one iota of a difference. She cannot possibly at this point be this team’s coach next year, it would be shocking & appalling otherwise.

"Repeatedly" is indeed a word worth noticing, but there's no way to know if this reporter is being accurate. And, as we agree, there's no way to know if the players are being genuine. It's possible that they have a lot of respect for Katie Smith (surely affected by her outstanding career as a player), a lot of affection for her, and a genuine belief in her as a head coach. But, even if all that happens to be true, we know what the result has been over one full season and most of a second. Our team needs someone new in that job. Period.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/16/19 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tsai to buy Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/08/15/alibabas-joe-tsai-set-to-buy-brooklyn-nets-and-barclays-center-for-record-33-billion/amp/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie%2F&__twitter_impression=true

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/16/19 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/08/15/alibabas-joe-tsai-set-to-buy-brooklyn-nets-and-barclays-center-for-record-33-billion/amp/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Valerie%2F&__twitter_impression=true

Great news.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/16/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy to see we will be playing games in Brooklyn next year, I'm like the only fan that never had a problem with them playing in Westchester lol

Back to libs basketball discussion, I gotta give props to Bec Allen. She's one of the only bright spot during this losing streak. I love being wrong about a player lol she's had her messy moments but every player has it. Especially Nurse who is in a slump right now

I think she should be in the starting lineup at SF, she deserves the playing time

jmvcity

PostPosted: 08/16/19 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fingers crossed for NY liberty at Alibaba Arena 2020. All games.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/16/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Fingers crossed for NY liberty at Alibaba Arena 2020. All games.

It would be pretty ironic to have Alibaba Arena after politicians pushed Amazon out of New York.

PostPosted: 08/16/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Happy to see we will be playing games in Brooklyn next year, I'm like the only fan that never had a problem with them playing in Westchester lol

Back to libs basketball discussion, I gotta give props to Bec Allen. She's one of the only bright spot during this losing streak. I love being wrong about a player lol she's had her messy moments but every player has it. Especially Nurse who is in a slump right now

I think she should be in the starting lineup at SF, she deserves the playing time

Not counting chickens until I see it on my renewal from

But I am 95% hopeful the majority of games will be there

Haven't seen it so will post

https://winsidr.com/2019/08/15/the-new-york-liberty-have-earned-the-barclays-center-right/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Mags right on here

PostPosted: 08/16/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The real news is what Tsai is not buying. Management of Nassau will stay with Prokhorov for now. The G League team is still planning to play at Nassau, but that probably changes the financial calculations for playing games there as opposed to Barclays.

I hope they do try a full season at Barclays because that would be the best indicator of the feasibility of a WNBA team in San Francisco.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/18/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The real news is what Tsai is not buying. Management of Nassau will stay with Prokhorov for now. The G League team is still planning to play at Nassau, but that probably changes the financial calculations for playing games there as opposed to Barclays.

I hope they do try a full season at Barclays because that would be the best indicator of the feasibility of a WNBA team in San Francisco.

Please count me as one person who sees Joe Tsai buying the Barclays Center and the Nets as "the real news." Did anyone expect him to buy the Liberty AND the Barclays Center AND the Nets AND the Nassau Coliseum?

On the other hand, if Joe T. really wants to go all out, I hope he'll consider buying Madison Square Garden and the Knicks from Hideous Lord Jimmy. I'll be happy if the Liberty play in Brooklyn, but I'd be thrilled to see them back at the Garden. And never to see the name of Hideous Lord Jimmy in a sports story ever again.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/18/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So New York has now lost eight games in a row. Eight more to play before the season is over. In 2018, the team ended with a 13-game losing streak. Chance of a 16-game finishing streak this season. Very depressing.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/18/19 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even worse than the losing is that the intangible qualities demonstrated earlier this year are now absent. The little things that help you win just aren't there. Of the reasons why I want Ionescu, I think her intangible qualities top the list. She has the personality that does not tolerate losing along with the style of play and talent to ensure the intangibles are taken care of. Earlier in the year I felt like improvement from within might be possible at our two positions of significant need. Now I am much less sold on that thought process, especially at PG.

If the season were to end today, I believe we would have the top lottery odds via tiebreaker (not sure how those are broken though). Each loss makes me want Ionescu more and will ultimately leave me more disappointed if we don't get her.

PostPosted: 08/18/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mind the losing, but can we at least look somewhat promising and not like a team that needs a total rebuild? Right now, the Liberty are a hot mess on both ends of the court. In terms of pinning our hopes on individual players, Durr is injured, Nurse is in a horrendous shooting slump, Allen and Johannes have come back down to earth. There's just nothing to feel good about.

Nurse did have a similar 3-4 week period in Australia this winter when she shot the ball poorly. However, Kia snapped out of it to finish the regular season strong, and her renewed success carried through the playoffs. Nurse was also very streaky at UConn. The difference is that in college she was the 4th option, and with Canberra she was surrounded by WNBL stars in Griffin, FLB, Tolo, and Wilson. With the Liberty, there's a lot more pressure for her to produce. It's just painful watching Kia right now, but history indicates that she'll bounce back.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A great PG can make people who can score look a whole lot better. Fingers crossed for Ionescu. It won’t make us a good defensive team but you can believe she will hold people accountable in a way they haven’t been on this team in several years. That in itself can’t hurt on either end of the floor.

Plus, I’d expect Kiah back. That will help on that end of the floor.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been contemplating a Diggins trade to the Liberty. Any concerns or thoughts?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/19/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’ve been contemplating a Diggins trade to the Liberty. Any concerns or thoughts?

what does NY have that would be close to trade material? Dallas would be much more likely to shop MoJeff. And Dallas with Diggins is immensely better than Dallas without Diggins. Davis as PG is a joke.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

what does NY have that would be close to trade material?

I’m sure they’d have to part with that lottery pick they’ve been looking forward to all season.... plus a little something else maybe.

myrtle wrote:
Dallas would be much more likely to shop MoJeff.

Naw, I think Dallas pursued Jefferson for a reason. They want a “real” PG instead of one of those combo guards. They didn’t run the story “Jefferson is a full go for next season” to drum up excitement for a trade. They want her on the team. Also, Jefferson’s trade value is probably at an all time low, while Diggins can still demand top dollar.

myrtle wrote:
And Dallas with Diggins is immensely better than Dallas without Diggins.

Not a lot of evidence of that. Barely snuck into the playoffs with the help of Cambage.

myrtle wrote:
Davis as PG is a joke.

Jefferson is coming on board, so shouldn’t be an issue if she stays healthy.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/19/19 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

what does NY have that would be close to trade material? Dallas would be much more likely to shop MoJeff. And Dallas with Diggins is immensely better than Dallas without Diggins. Davis as PG is a joke.

Hey Myrtle, the other day I was doing a tally of active Liberty fans on this board (anyone posting within the last 12 months). Do you still consider yourself a Liberty fan or have you kicked the habit? Smile

PostPosted: 08/19/19 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I like it if Diggins is even curious about wanting out, and it’d be to a destination city no less. Also if the front office wants to contend with Charles. But not if NY gets Ionescu. Maybe for Boyd + either Nurse or Durr. And Jefferson would have to prove she’s healthy in 2020.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/19/19 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Hey Myrtle, the other day I was doing a tally of active Liberty fans on this board (anyone posting within the last 12 months). Do you still consider yourself a Liberty fan or have you kicked the habit? Smile

Really, the end for me was when they hired Big Bill, even though I think he's a very good coach, and when he signed Plenette, one of my least favorite players, that was a final straw. I used to travel to NY for work and stay across from MSG and liked the oldtime players back in the day...all the way up thru the JMAC, Kraay, FLB and Christon era. But after that my allegiance waned. There just weren't enough players I really 'liked'. Now for better or worse, I have no 'team' so just count myself as a general fan. I still find myself wishing you all well. I hope there will be a revival and return to decency in NYC.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 08/19/19 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty are biggest winners in Nets sale.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/08/19/new-york-liberty-are-fascinating-winners-in-brooklyn-nets-sale/amp/

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/19/19 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d like Diggins for a non-Ionescu lottery pick. I would not trade either Nurse or Durr. If that’s not enough then ✌️. I’d give Bec if need be as well. Agler would find her defensive ability useful maybe. But that’s it.

PostPosted: 08/19/19 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty don't end up with the #1 pick, I can see them trading for Diggins. As long as we keep the #2 pick. Stokes, Boyd and our second rounder for Diggins?

Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Stokes, Boyd and our second rounder for Diggins?

That’s an insulting table scraps deal for Diggins. 🤦🏻‍♂️

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/19/19 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Really, the end for me was when they hired Big Bill, even though I think he's a very good coach, and when he signed Plenette, one of my least favorite players, that was a final straw. I used to travel to NY for work and stay across from MSG and liked the oldtime players back in the day...all the way up thru the JMAC, Kraay, FLB and Christon era. But after that my allegiance waned. There just weren't enough players I really 'liked'. Now for better or worse, I have no 'team' so just count myself as a general fan. I still find myself wishing you all well. I hope there will be a revival and return to decency in NYC.

That makes sense -- good explanation. You'll always be welcomed back if you change your mind. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/19/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Stokes, Boyd and our second rounder for Diggins?

That’s an insulting table scraps deal for Diggins. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The old quantity for quality "package" trade. Offer all the players you hate plus a second round pick in exchange for a young All-Star. They used to be very popular on this board. Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 83 of 91

Jump to: