Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/21/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Barring big changes in the next CBA, Johannes would be Reserved when her contract expires anyway (can only negotiate with her existing team). It's a standard practice for undrafted foreigners with a halfway-competent agent to only sign for one year initially because that first deal can only be for the minimum. Once it expires you can sign for anything up to the max (although you obviously have competing threats - the team can say "you can't play in the WNBA for anyone else", the player can say "pay me what I'm worth or I'll just stay home").

Which, with Hartley’s contract reportedly expiring (as per Megdal) and with Wright unsigned for next year, there’s money available to pay her what she’s worth. That leaves one question. Being an Olympic year, will she want to come over? There are some incentives. The potential of playing in Barclays along with the fact that NY has an appreciation for the flash that she can bring.

Again there's that word again...Barclays...not gonna do my pandering we've seen enough But when I say it's the future of the franchise I don't just mean economics1

But I agree what kind of team we can run depends so much on Barclays next year especially with the quantity of foreign and "foreign" players we are carrying

Agree only 1 game but love what I see from Johannes but under the current cba I'm very leery and year to year with foreign non ncaa system players new can could shatter that but we shall see what they come up with

Also at center remember even tho she say out this year we have stokes under contract however we wish to use

PostPosted: 07/21/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah easy to forget but Stokes would at least deepen the post rotation. If NY is in the lottery it’s likely a 27.6 % chance of getting Ionescu. Not great odds obviously but I think acquiring her is what it would take to alter the system into one that would be more perimeter-heavy. I think you run a lot of horns (double high post) sets if that’s your lineup. Or even if the Libs get a Dangerfield, who is a legit 3 point shooter as well.

For now the situation is unique. Johannes is one of the 5 best players on the team. Asking her to play PG as of August 1st might be a stretch. PG is not her natural spot and you can see that she can turn it over when trapped. Plus we don’t know how much of the system she knows. There’s also the language issue.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get a feeling we've seen the last of Stokes in a Liberty uniform.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/21/19 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on Megdal's spreadsheet, the only person with a guaranteed contract next year is Zahui. Other people are signed -- like Boyd and Allen -- but their contracts are not guaranteed. Rookie contracts are not guaranteed either, but obviously you want Nurse and Durr back. The point is New York has lots of salary cap flexibility. The challenge is finding players.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
For now the situation is unique. Johannes is one of the 5 best players on the team. Asking her to play PG as of August 1st might be a stretch. PG is not her natural spot and you can see that she can turn it over when trapped. Plus we don’t know how much of the system she knows. There’s also the language issue.

Does anyone know if Johannes speaks English? Today lots of young people in France and all over the world learn English. But I haven't seen anything definitive about whether she is one of them. And, if so, how well she speaks and understands English. (If I've missed this information and someone can post it, I'd be grateful.)

Johannes at PG so soon is obviously not ideal. But neither is having Hartley there and I believe it's her PG minutes that Johannes would take. Perhaps Katie is using this part of the schedule--with lots of days off--to try out Johannes at PG during practices. Perhaps not. But I hope so.

I'd give a long look in games that count to Johannes on the floor with Durr and Nurse. But that view is coming from a fan who doesn't feel invested in the Liberty finishing 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th as opposed to 9th or 10th. I'll be happy if the team makes the playoffs, but also happy if we don't and have a 27% chance of drafting Ionescu. My focus is on the front office building a team that can be a genuine contender in 2020 or, at the latest, 2021.

zune69

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

* Offer Copper or Powers 90% of the max/3 yr

* Offer Hawkins 90% of the max/ 3yr

I don't think Chicago or Washington will have the cap space to match.

New York will more than likely have 3 starters on rookie scale contracts. They can afford to pay multiple bench players near max money.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Hawkins will get a lot of offers. Someone will end up giving her the max(possibly Washington).

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a model of how this could work if Katie wanted to give Johannes some time at point guard.

Point Guard:

1st quarter Johannes plays the first eight minutes, Boyd the last two
2nd quarter Boyd stays on for the first five minutes, Wright gets the last
five
3rd quarter Johannes plays the first six minutes, Boyd the last four
4th quarter Boyd plays the first five minutes, Wright the last five. (If it's a
close game, I want Wright as our point guard at the end.)

Shooting Guard:

1st quarter Durr plays the first eight minutes, Johannes the last two
2nd quarter Johannes plays the first two minutes, Durr the last eight
3rd quarter Durr plays the first six minutes, Johannes the last four
4th quarter Johannes plays the first six minutes, Durr the last four.
(But if Johannes is hot and Durr isn't, Johannes stays on.)

Total minutes per player:

Johannes 28 (14 at point guard, 14 at shooting guard)
Boyd 16 at point guard
Wright 10 at point guard
Durr 26 at shooting guard
Hartley none

Obviously all this could be adjusted game by game if someone is hot or cold, if someone gets in foul trouble, if someone is doing a great job or a terrible job defensively, etc.

A plan like this--someone can probably come up with better specifics and that's fine--would allow for periods of the game when Johannes, Durr, and Nurse are out there together without giving Johannes the vast majority of the team's point guard minutes.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Powers already signed an extension in Washington (regardless of how ludicrous one might believe that idea to be).

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well then offer Hawkins the max for 4 yrs.

Washington will not have the cap space to match. Cloud,Meesseman,EDD, Toliver and Sanders will all be making near max money, and I don't see Washington paying a 16 mpg player max money unless Meesseman decides not to come over next season ( Olympic year)

Edit: Richyyy just corrected me again...The Liberty can offer Hawkins a 3 yr max.

Last edited by zune69 on 07/21/19 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 07/21/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Powers already signed an extension in Washington (regardless of how ludicrous one might believe that idea to be).

I forgot, and stand corrected...Megdal needs to update the team by team salary breakdown.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/21/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Well then offer Hawkins the max for 4 yrs.

Can't do that unless you're her existing team.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Does anyone know if Johannes speaks English? Today lots of young people in France and all over the world learn English. But I haven't seen anything definitive about whether she is one of them. And, if so, how well she speaks and understands English. (If I've missed this information and someone can post it, I'd be grateful.)

Johannes at PG so soon is obviously not ideal. But neither is having Hartley there and I believe it's her PG minutes that Johannes would take. Perhaps Katie is using this part of the schedule--with lots of days off--to try out Johannes at PG during practices. Perhaps not. But I hope so.

I'd give a long look in games that count to Johannes on the floor with Durr and Nurse. But that view is coming from a fan who doesn't feel invested in the Liberty finishing 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th as opposed to 9th or 10th. I'll be happy if the team makes the playoffs, but also happy if we don't and have a 27% chance of drafting Ionescu. My focus is on the front office building a team that can be a genuine contender in 2020 or, at the latest, 2021.

Fair question about Johannes and the language. I can’t say that I KNOW there’s a language issue so that was somewhat presumptuous. However, her twitter feed (which is predominantly retweets) is heavily French. Judging by gestures from teammates at games (heavily gesturing over language) and Nayo sticking close in the huddle I watched, I figured there was likely some degree of gap in language.

That’s not evidentiary and I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: 07/21/19 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Fair question about Johannes and the language. I can’t say that I KNOW there’s a language issue so that was somewhat presumptuous. However, her twitter feed (which is predominantly retweets) is heavily French. Judging by gestures from teammates at games (heavily gesturing over language) and Nayo sticking close in the huddle I watched, I figured there was likely some degree of gap in language.

That’s not evidentiary and I could be wrong though.

My goal wasn't to criticize you or anyone for your assumption--which may indeed be accurate. But it would be nice if we could find out. I've known French people older than Johannes who obviously had English as part of their education and speak the language quite well. But Johannes may not.

And, by the way, does anyone know if Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe or Kia Nurse speak French?

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/21/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe I read somewhere that less than 20% of Canucks speak both English and French. I was surprised at how low that number was. And am guessing that a large percentage of those are Quebecers.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 07/21/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OFjiThSL9hE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 07/21/19 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So,now we are going to have this thread taken over by who speaks French ? Rolling Eyes
Hitting threes is basketball talk

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/21/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
So,now we are going to have this thread taken over by who speaks French ? Rolling Eyes

I hope we are. I believe it would be useful to know the extent to which Liberty players can communicate with each other on and off the court. We know it's a problem that Han speaks virtually no English and--unless anyone has information to the contrary--no Liberty player or coach can speak Chinese. I'd like to know what the situation is regarding Johannes and her teammates.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/22/19 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just all the more reason the Liberty need to leave WCC. Westchester County Center robbed during Arena Football match.

https://www.metro.us/bet/sports/source-arena-football-team-robbed-during-game-ny?amp&fbclid=IwAR1s1lGQr-iztcZfFnp5QxwcaI3S_3ZxbtTofIKwj0bGReIlk0GtmEim2J8

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/22/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

If the aspiration is to have the person in question eventually play PG, being able to communicate is pretty vital. Since it’s abundantly clear that 2 of the 5 best players on the team play the same position, it’d be nice to get all the best players on the floor simultaneously.

PostPosted: 07/22/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

If the aspiration is to have the person in question eventually play PG, being able to communicate is pretty vital. Since it’s abundantly clear that 2 of the 5 best players on the team play the same position, it’d be nice to get all the best players on the floor simultaneously.

Thanks. This is exactly why I've made my recent posts.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/22/19 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just all the more reason the Liberty need to leave WCC. Westchester County Center robbed during Arena Football match.

https://www.metro.us/bet/sports/source-arena-football-team-robbed-during-game-ny?amp&fbclid=IwAR1s1lGQr-iztcZfFnp5QxwcaI3S_3ZxbtTofIKwj0bGReIlk0GtmEim2J8

Oh good grief!!!!!

Im not shocked given some of those parks dept folks

Luckily libs supplement with private security

I don't care if we play at a damn high school we MUST GET OUT IF WCC ASAP!!!!

PostPosted: 07/22/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, the staff at WCC doesn't seem all that invested in what's going on there. Saturday's game was my first and likely my last visit there. Outside of one woman, the remainder of the "parks staff" looked disinterested & not helpful. So many issues there that I hope and pray they play in Brooklyn next season. Yes, there's Liberty staff members there, security, etc. but it's such a beaten up dump I'd hardly call it an arena. I have to believe Rose Hill Gymnasium at Fordham University would have been a better venue.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 07/22/19 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we dont move to Brooklyn next year it will be the end of the Liberty!

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/24/19 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a UConn podcast, but the last 30 minutes is Megdal interviewing Katie Smith. The main topics are: 1) the development of Kia Nurse, 2) how Charles can still contribute despite her shooting woes, 3) new opportunities for women in coaching and management as a result of the recent NBA hirings. As an aside, it's amusing that Katie refers to Johannes as "JoJo". The interview starts around the 12:00 mark. The previous material is about UConn recruits if you're also a UConn fan.

<iframe frameBorder="0" height="482" scrolling="no" src="https://playlist.megaphone.fm/?e=VMP7236766662"
width="100%"></iframe>

Last edited by root_thing on 08/01/19 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 77 of 91

Jump to: