Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/14/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Tsai's company is in China and his homes are in Hong Kong and San Diego. He spends most of his time on the other side of the world or the other side of the continent. Besides, what is he paying Kolb and the coaching staff to do? It's actually their job to watch over the welfare of the players.

Then if this article is true they are failing big time

Talked to a few people and know deadspin as I said in my OP

Lets call this EXAGGERATED at best and move on to the west coast swing

PostPosted: 06/14/19 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Tsai's company is in China and his homes are in Hong Kong and San Diego. He spends most of his time on the other side of the world or the other side of the continent. Besides, what is he paying Kolb and the coaching staff to do? It's actually their job to watch over the welfare of the players.

Then if this article is true they are failing big time

Talked to a few people and know deadspin as I said in my OP

Lets call this EXAGGERATED at best and move on to the west coast swing

Could the article be exaggerated? Sure. But please count me as one person on this board who is never going to take anything on faith that comes second-hand from unnamed sources who offer no specifics. And especially if these unnamed sources might be from the very organization that perhaps--please note that I'm saying "perhaps"--has done a lousy job supporting Han in her initial time in New York.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/19 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with the article is it only quotes Han once. Journalism 101 would say that’s not a really strong way to present one’s true viewpoint. So honestly, without more quotes and fewer editorial comments like “isolation” and “sparse” I’m not taking the article seriously.

To me, she should play when she’s ready. I know I’m in the minority but I think the Liberty have somewhat of a chance to be a good team by late this season. The league is really down talent-wise this year and the overall team scoring numbers back that up in a big way. Barring injuries, we’re highly unlikely to get Ionescu. So at this point, I’d rather build a winning culture and develop our numerous young players as best as we can while trying to win. We are the New York Liberty. Not the New York Hans.

I will say that the organization needs to do everything it can to ease her transition to North American life. Whether they’re doing that, I don’t know. But that article did nothing to convince me of anything other than this is a 19 year old in an unfamiliar country from a standpoint of culture and language. Hence, she’s still adapting and at times feels lonely. What a shock.

Regarding the minutes distribution, I’m not real worried about it. After the back to back the games are dispersed nicely. The only concern for me is 7/3-7/7 and even then we might have some people back. After that we will be fine. Stokes and Hartley will gradually re-enter the rotation and we will go 9-10 deep. And whenever Johannes is ready, that’s even more depth.

PostPosted: 06/14/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just took another look at Asia Durr's two baskets at the end to seal the victory over Minnesota.

When she got the ball each time (the second time with the shot clock running down), it didn't look like she was thinking "I'm a rookie and I'm supposed to defer to veteran players." It didn't look like she was thinking "I'm supposed to get the ball to Tina Charles. She should take every crucial shot." It looked like Durr was thinking exactly as she must have at the end of close college games: "I've got the ball. This is on me. I'm the one who's taking the shot. And of course I'm going to make it." The attitude of a star.

Just one game, I know. There will surely be ups and downs for Durr this season. But what I saw on those two plays is exactly what this team needs--now and for the future.

Also, earlier in the game she coughed up the ball with a high right-hand dribble. No mistakes at the end though. Protected the ball really well with that dribble between two defenders. Speaks highly of her that she corrected earlier mistakes when it mattered most.

Perimeter players win playoff games. That’s why we lost so many one and done games. We lost them all to good perimeter teams. Creative perimeter players are critical to playoff success.

I also liked that she...and the team...knew that Brown defending her was a mismatch in that spot and they spaced the floor properly for the pick and roll. This is a team that is starting to pass really well and take advantage of mismatches. Hopefully that trend continues.

Combos like Durr, Nurse and Tina (inside, outside balance) can win playoff games consistently.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 06/14/19 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
toad455

PostPosted: 06/14/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Smith will have a choice but to play Han once Zahui B leaves.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed there. Which is fine. Get her in gradually.

PostPosted: 06/14/19 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Smith will have no choice but to play Han. And, yes, get her in there gradually.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/14/19 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Combos like Durr, Nurse and Tina (inside, outside balance) can win playoff games consistently.

Exactly.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Exactly.

Agree but we need more consistent schemes and better distribution as a n actual offense for that to happen...dont trust Katie on that I still say sadly sooner we pull the trigger the better

But I believe if we do...could we pull a st Louis blues...maybe...could we pull an aces and have a good enough run to spark interest in top line talent in the off season and have a title contender next year at Barclays

ABSOLUTELY

BUT

this year just

Get a coach who will cement our fundamentals

Put full faith and credit in rookies and our young talent

Commit to physical team first play again

Find a cheesy 80s song as our anthem and rallying cry Wink

Put em together and see what happens

PostPosted: 06/14/19 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not saying we should do this but I just had a vision of

VJ and T-Spoon coaching the Liberty next year.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/15/19 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Terrible. Confused

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/15/19 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Terrible. Confused

Luckily our current Laimbeer assistant isn't panning out so they might be weary

(I wouldn't hate it because they are two of my favorite players ever but there just isn't any evidence that going in that direction would be a good idea.)

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/15/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Exactly.

Agree but we need more consistent schemes and better distribution as a n actual offense for that to happen...dont trust Katie on that I still say sadly sooner we pull the trigger the better

But I believe if we do...could we pull a st Louis blues...maybe...could we pull an aces and have a good enough run to spark interest in top line talent in the off season and have a title contender next year at Barclays

ABSOLUTELY

BUT

this year just

Get a coach who will cement our fundamentals

Put full faith and credit in rookies and our young talent

Commit to physical team first play again

Find a cheesy 80s song as our anthem and rallying cry Wink

Put em together and see what happens

I’m not even thinking that far ahead yet. My point just kinda is that there’s some really bad teams in the league this year and it seems to me right now the Libs are “less bad” talent-wise than some of them. And unlike those other teams, the Libs are going to have some pretty strong reinforcements heading to the team in about 3 weeks or so.

I also don’t have complete confidence in Katie. At 9-32 over the last two years I’d be nuts if I said I did. However, I think she...and the team...are much better in certain ways than they were a year ago and it may play out with a result that’s enough to eliminate any significant (franchise-caliber) draft help next year. Also keeping in mind that the Libs have not yet played Atlanta or Dallas (both teams look worse than NY). They also haven’t played Chicago or Seattle yet (teams playing fairly well but neither with physically dominant matchups that should obliterate NY). And in 5 weeks they’ll probably improve greatly between the youth development and personnel additions. Point being, we can’t count on this being a season of a top-2 draft choice. And if it’s not, you have to establish a culture where these young players have an idea of what WNBA winning takes and to do it while you still have Wright and Tina. Learning that is a significant part of developing young players, of which we have several.

At this point I see no reason to make a coaching change unless you luck into a really good one. Barring that, I think this will be revisited in the offseason whether a change is made now or not. Until then, if the team gets better that means they and Katie grow together. If not, you get another high draft pick, a chance at Ionescu and you’ll probably have another coach to guide a potentially very highly-talented team. That’s a win-win in my estimation.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a thread on this board with predictions for the season, many people picked the Liberty to finish 10th in the league. Although the team is better than last season in certain ways, I still see finishing 10th as likely. That should get us a valuable player in the first round of the draft, even if it's not Ionescu.

I have no confidence in Katie Smith as our coach. I'd get no pleasure from seeing her fired; I wish Smith well. But I'd like to see the Liberty name an interim coach soon. That would give the GM 1/2 or 2/3 of the season to get a look at that interim coach and see if that person should be retained. If not, the offseason should be a better time to conduct a search for a new head coach.

One way or another, I'd like to see a new head coach for offseason planning and before 2020 training camp begins.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would you guys like Lin Dunn if she was interested in coming back to the WNBA? I know she celebrated her retirement from the WNBA that whole last year in Indiana, but she’s not really retired since she’s assistant coaching at Kentucky. 🤔

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse and Durr may have given us a glimpse into the future the other night, but I don't think they're ready to be good on a consistent basis, game after game. As we saw yesterday, they'll have their ups and downs. Add to that, Tina Charles is currently shooting 39.5%, which is miserable for a post player. I'm not sure even Tina is reliable anymore. Suppose New York does sneak into the playoffs. Can they be expected to have a deep run? I agree that the league is down and some surprise team has a chance to take advantage. I'm just not convinced the team is New York.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty are a team that should be better and have pretty good depth later on in the season.

*Stokes is back
*Zahui comes back (if she ever leaves)
*Hartley comes back
*You get to see what you have in Johannes and keep her glued to the bench
*Allen should heal up

Last edited by Shades on 06/15/19 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight’s game from a standpoint of logic could mean a lot. Point differential is usually a good way of thinking how good a team can be. The Libs are an awful -7. LA is a good but beatable team that should not overwhelm the Libs in individual matchups. It’s a probable loss but should they find a way to win they’re 3-5 with this coming up:

Home to Chicago. -3.5 point differential, vulnerable defensively, Libs match up much better to them this year than last, it’s a home game.

At Minnesota: Forget about it. They’re not winning this one. I know I said that about Vegas last week but this is a road game and the matchups without Zahui look grim.

Home to Dallas: -10 point differential. Home game.

At Atlanta: -10 point differential. Terrible offensive team. Libs match up fairly well. No Zahui hurts but this is a much worse team on the interior than they were a year ago.

6-6 is possible if they somehow win tonight. 5-7 is a reasonable likelihood even if they don’t. If they’re 6-10 coming out of the July 7th game, they may well sneak into the playoffs, and I picked them to finish 10th. That’s not because I think they’re great or anything. But I watch the whole league and it’s not hard to make an argument that by season’s end they’ll be competing with 4 or 5 less talented teams around the league. I think they’re going to be a significantly better team in the second half of the season than they are now.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

At Minnesota: Forget about it. They’re not winning this one. I know I said that about Vegas last week but this is a road game and the matchups without Zahui look grim.

Stop cursing us! Confused

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Stop cursing us! Confused

Laughing

PostPosted: 06/15/19 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Tonight’s game from a standpoint of logic could mean a lot. Point differential is usually a good way of thinking how good a team can be. The Libs are an awful -7. LA is a good but beatable team that should not overwhelm the Libs in individual matchups. It’s a probable loss but should they find a way to win they’re 3-5 with this coming up:

Home to Chicago. -3.5 point differential, vulnerable defensively, Libs match up much better to them this year than last, it’s a home game.

Home to Dallas: -10 point differential. Home game.

At Atlanta: -10 point differential. Terrible offensive team. Libs match up fairly well. No Zahui hurts but this is a much worse team on the interior than they were a year ago.

6-6 is possible if they somehow win tonight. 5-7 is a reasonable likelihood even if they don’t. If they’re 6-10 coming out of the July 7th game, they may well sneak into the playoffs, and I picked them to finish 10th. That’s not because I think they’re great or anything. But I watch the whole league and it’s not hard to make an argument that by season’s end they’ll be competing with 4 or 5 less talented teams around the league. I think they’re going to be a significantly better team in the second half of the season than they are now.

Your reverse jinx has worked pretty well this year. If you want NY to win, you should predict all losses. Smile

PostPosted: 06/15/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You should just predict the Liberty will finish the rest of the season 0-27.

Playoffs here we come!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/15/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty will finish the rest of the season 0-27.

PostPosted: 06/15/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Nurse and Durr may have given us a glimpse into the future the other night, but I don't think they're ready to be good on a consistent basis, game after game. As we saw yesterday, they'll have their ups and downs. Add to that, Tina Charles is currently shooting 39.5%, which is miserable for a post player. I'm not sure even Tina is reliable anymore. Suppose New York does sneak into the playoffs. Can they be expected to have a deep run? I agree that the league is down and some surprise team has a chance to take advantage. I'm just not convinced the team is New York.

I agree with this. I'm very excited about Durr, but she's a rookie. She's certain to have ups and downs all season. Nurse has been somewhat up and down since she's come to the Liberty. (And NOT helped by the way Katie Smith used her last season.) May take till year #3 for her to be really consistent.

I don't see the Liberty making the playoffs in 2019. A deep run in the playoffs? No way. This is a team with glaring weaknesses.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/15/19 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Tina Charles, the new stats provide a pretty complete picture of her shooting/scoring this season. Not only do they break down shots by distance, but there is a chart for floor location as well as seven categories of shot types which are further divided into 26 classifications with more specificity (e.g., DRIVING REVERSE LAYUP SHOT). At the bottom of the page, they also show which teammates assisted on Tina's baskets and how many times.

https://stats.wnba.com/player/202250/shooting/

I don't see any specific trends -- other than Tina is bad from beyond the arc, which we already knew. Tina is not shooting that great from anywhere or with any type of shot that has significant volume. Anyone else have an opinion?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 66 of 91

Jump to: