RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/19/19 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless the Liberty make a last-minute move to pick up a player waived by another team, sure looks like Bias will make the team while Cuevas-Moore, Faris, Gray, Huff, and Warley-Talbert will have unpleasant news ahead.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my back-of-an-envelope addition has you guys 140k under the cap once you add up the 11 expected to make it. So quite a bit of space to work with for that final spot (although temporary replacements when half the roster's at EuroBasket will also be part of the considerations).

PostPosted: 05/20/19 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official roster moves today:

New York Cuevas-Moore, Bianca Waived
New York Faris, Kelly Waived
New York Huff, Megan Waived

I guess Kelly Faris' luck ran out.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Official roster moves today:

New York Cuevas-Moore, Bianca Waived
New York Faris, Kelly Waived
New York Huff, Megan Waived

I guess Kelly Faris' luck ran out.

I bet they will regret waiving Bianca. She is from NY but I really hope another team picks her up. Some folks with the Liberty probably never watched her play at South Carolina and probably don't know her story of how great she was in school. Their loss!!

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So are we finished with cuts for now ?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sucks letting go Cuevas-moore Crying or Very sad but we all knew it was coming

I'm happy for Tiffany Bias played so well and that experience i believe gave her the edge, she's not out the woods yet gotta make that official roster

I'm soo ready for the season to start I'll be there Friday with my lil sis

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just looked at my cable TV's guide for Friday night, and I do not see any trace of the Liberty game on any channel. The Yankees are not on YES network that night. I have Cablevision in Morris County, New Jersey.

We've gone from possibly the best local WNBA telecast to no telecast at all.

Last edited by NYSports56 on 05/20/19 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
So are we finished with cuts for now ?

I think it's still two more. Any two from Reshanda Gray, Avery Warley-Talbert and Tiffany Bias, presumably. Although I suppose Raincock-Ekunwe wouldn't be an earth-shattering surprise (and cutting Tanisha Wright to give her a coaching job instead would make sense to me).

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that they're holding on to both Warley-Talbert and Reshanda Gray makes me wonder if Stokes becoming Turkish is going to be a problem. I just listened to her podcast from yesterday, and they mentioned that Kiah is in town. So, she'll at least start the season with NY.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe if Prince is indeed coming in midseason, Wright will be offered an assistant's position and retire from playing. This way there's not a mystery as to which guard gets cut when Johannes arrives. It's not a stretch to think Warley-Talbert makes the roster of Raincock-Ekunwe. But Raincock can still be a long term project, while AWT may have just one decent season left.

Midseason Liberty
PG: Boyd/Hartley
SG: Durr/Prince/Johannes
SF: Nurse/Allen
PF: Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
C: Zahui B/Stokes/Han

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince ????????????????????????????????

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/19 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raincock turns 28 this year while AWT just turned 29. There's not much difference in age. Meanwhile, AWT is likely to show up every year whereas Nayo will probably leave again next season to train with the Canadian Olympic Team. Regardless, I was really referring to AWT or Gray as possible replacement players for Stokes if it turns out she has to leave for Turkish national team duty.

As far as Prince or Vaughn coming back, again, that came from their agent. I think it's BS -- just something convenient for her to say when no one wants her clients.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that you guys could have four players at EuroBasket, plus an injury or two by then (just as a general liklihood based on the odds), getting a few people comfortable in the system who will hopefully still be available to call in as temporary replacements makes sense. Stokes and Zahui B could well be gone at the same time - so you want someone like AWT to be able to step in as smoothly as possible, even if she doesn't make the 12 for this Friday.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can teams do 7 day contracts during Eurobasket, and how are 7 day contracts treated for cap calculations?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/19 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Raincock turns 28 this year while AWT just turned 29. There's not much difference in age. Meanwhile, AWT is likely to show up every year whereas Nayo will probably leave again next season to train with the Canadian Olympic Team. Regardless, I was really referring to AWT or Gray as possible replacement players for Stokes if it turns out she has to leave for Turkish national team duty.

As far as Prince or Vaughn coming back, again, that came from their agent. I think it's BS -- just something convenient for her to say when no one wants her clients.

And interestingly...or maybe not so interestingly since it's more annoying than interesting...the Libs find themselves with a need for both what Nayo can do and what AWT can do. Warley being physical and Nayo being a quick energy player who brings life to the offensive glass. There's so much in the way of need that two fringe players each add a strength that is hard to find elsewhere on the team.

By midseason Han might be playing 30 minutes per game by default. I have a feeling this season is going to really annoy me. Not just from a wins and losses standpoint but also from a development standpoint. Hard to have faith in a coach that can't keep teams under 90 points. And while I think Durr will be up and down offensively, my problem with that is that she isn't really good at anything else if she isn't scoring. She is just an ok playmaker (for others), not really a rebounder, and her defense looks like it's going to be pretty bad. Which is exacerbated by the lack of rim protection behind her.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Can teams do 7 day contracts during Eurobasket, and how are 7 day contracts treated for cap calculations?

I don't know when Eurobasket begins, but 7-day contracts become available after the salary guarantee date, which I believe is the midway point of the season based on the league calendar. All contracts count against the cap unless the player is suspended for a whole season.

PostPosted: 05/20/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't know when Eurobasket begins, but 7-day contracts become available after the salary guarantee date, which I believe is the midway point of the season based on the league calendar. All contracts count against the cap unless the player is suspended for a whole season.

Yeah, I had a feeling that might be the case. I wonder if something new will be be written into the CBA to help out the teams with this kind of situation, which seems to becoming more and more prevalent in the WNBA.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/19 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
All contracts count against the cap unless the player is suspended for a whole season.

Let me correct and clarify what I said previously. Hardship contracts do not count against the salary cap. Also, I used the term "replacement player" earlier when discussing AWT and Gray. I was using the general meaning of the phrase, not the specific usage from the CBA that applies to hardships.

Dealing with players who leave for national team duty is tricky. You are suspending them, so their roster spot is available for reuse. However, you need to have cap space in order to do that. The ordinary Hardship doesn't apply because it is based on injuries and illnesses. However, the Emergency Hardship has some vague wording about, "other extenuating circumstances." That looks like a loophole that might be exploitable for a team with 3 or more players leaving simultaneously. However, if you think about it, there's technically no reason why you should let a player leave the team to play for someone else. That's a violation of their contract. In theory, you can deny their request to leave, and if they go anyway, then you're probably entitled to terminate their contract. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do that if the player has significant value. However, if you choose to let them go, then aren't you voluntarily letting your roster drop below the minimum level? That's a calculated decision, not a hardship. Therefore, why should you be granted an extra player?

PostPosted: 05/21/19 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so no MSG or YES?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/21/19 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
so no MSG or YES?

No MSG from what I’ve heard. From someone who would know. Not sure about YES.

PostPosted: 05/21/19 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that Chicago has acquired J.Lavender. I think the Liberty should offer Chicago their 2020 2nd rd pk for Coates or Ndour....Indiana will have first dibs on any player who gets cut.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/19 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Now that Chicago has acquired J.Lavender. I think the Liberty should offer Chicago their 2020 2nd rd pk for Coates or Ndour....Indiana will have first dibs on any player who gets cut.

Chicago is probably envious of Liberty’s post situation. Why would the Liberty do something like this?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/21/19 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Chicago is probably envious of Liberty’s post situation. Why would the Liberty do something like this?

Because both players are only 24 yrs old, have legit upside and haven't been given enough playing time to come to the conclusion that they are bust. I don't give up on players just because they're not getting playing time. I need to see them fail before I lose interest in them. I believe if given the opportunity. Ndour and Coates can be productive rotation players...And it's just a 2nd round pick that the Liberty would be giving up. How many 2nd rd drsft picks end up being rotation players?....Not many....This would be a Low risk high return trade.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/21/19 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Legit upside and Coates in the same sentence. Surprised

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/21/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't the Liberty get kicked off MSG for a while when Live Access (old name for League Pass) was first created? I seem to remember that games were only available via streaming for a period. Then they added back home games for a season or two, followed by a full reinstatement of all games -- albeit the road games were sort of faked with announcers sitting in NY watching from a monitor.

Not having local broadcasts is bad for the team and bad for the league. However, just from a selfish point of view, it's actually good for cord-cutters who rely on League Pass or illegal links. Now, all of the games that are not on ESPN (0) or CBS Sports (1) will probably be streamed live on League Pass with no blackout. Subject to change, that's every game except one. Most people at this point have an internet TV or some kind of casting device that allows them to stream games on their television. It actually makes life easier for a lot of us. Again, for the sake of the team and the league, you'd like to see the Liberty get a television deal. But the honest truth is that for many fans it's better if they don't.

My only concern is who they hire for the broadcast. I remember one year, the got some kid who did a high school basketball podcast and they teamed her with Barb Farris. The young woman kept saying that the players were going to the line for a "one-and-one" whenever they got fouled. She clearly didn't know WNBA rules, and it took her a couple of games to figure it out. Farris was also brutal as the color commentator. The Liberty would have like 25 points at halftime, but Barb's observation would unfailingly be that the team needed to tighten their defense. That season was just embarrassing, but luckily it was the low point. With his deep pockets, my guess is that Tsai will spring for decent announcers.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 55 of 91

Jump to: