RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Indiana Fever 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4941
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Where's all this Gustaffson Impact player talk/love coming from ? Did these publisher's watch the pre-season. Laughing


Clearly they didn’t. Just going off “She was the player of the year and leading scorer” hype.


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1203



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Three reasons why Indiana would be a perfect fit for Megan Gustafson
https://highposthoops.com/2019/05/23/indiana-would-be-a-perfect-fit-for-megan-gustafson/

* She would provide a nice boost offensively
* The Fever could use another rebounder
* Iowa fans will travel


Nm, I’m going to try to be positive this season... at least to start out.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8541
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Where's all this Gustaffson Impact player talk/love coming from ? Did these publisher's watch the pre-season. Laughing


Clearly they didn’t. Just going off “She was the player of the year and leading scorer” hype.



Yeah i liked the idea of getting Gustaffson at 17 , but after watching her struggle in the preseason against Indiana . She seemed overmatched by the likes of Achonwa and McCowan and thats one of the weaker front lines in the league . I love her determination but she's just not going to be effective at this level on either end. If she can get stronger she may have a shot in the future. I just dont see it happening this year but who knows she may prove me wrong !



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9844



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

And incidentally, a powerful argument against expansion.


Disagree. There will always be marginal players at the bottom of rosters. There is in every league. The real question for expansion is whether there is enough top-flight talent at the top of rosters to distribute across another team or two.


It's all relative. When the NHL only had six teams, there were "bad" players. When the NBA only had 12 teams, there were "bad" players. If you expand the WNBA, the offensive skill will be diluted but so will the defensive skill. After a while, the play reaches equilibrium.


True ... but at what level will that equilibrium be? The quality of the product is directly related to the amount of talent on each roster, and there's only so much talent to go around.

My contention remains that expansion would create more mediocre teams playing a lesser brand of basketball than the one that the WNBA presently has on offer. And I don't think a lesser brand of basketball helps the WNBA or women's basketball in the slightest.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 21355
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
root_thing wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

And incidentally, a powerful argument against expansion.


Disagree. There will always be marginal players at the bottom of rosters. There is in every league. The real question for expansion is whether there is enough top-flight talent at the top of rosters to distribute across another team or two.


It's all relative. When the NHL only had six teams, there were "bad" players. When the NBA only had 12 teams, there were "bad" players. If you expand the WNBA, the offensive skill will be diluted but so will the defensive skill. After a while, the play reaches equilibrium.


True ... but at what level will that equilibrium be? The quality of the product is directly related to the amount of talent on each roster, and there's only so much talent to go around.

My contention remains that expansion would create more mediocre teams playing a lesser brand of basketball than the one that the WNBA presently has on offer. And I don't think a lesser brand of basketball helps the WNBA or women's basketball in the slightest.

You're also the one who often points out that interest in the league is driven in key part by having a team nearby. Expand and you're adding extra markets, and people who have a reason to follow the league because there's a local team to support.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5086
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

True ... but at what level will that equilibrium be? The quality of the product is directly related to the amount of talent on each roster, and there's only so much talent to go around.

My contention remains that expansion would create more mediocre teams playing a lesser brand of basketball than the one that the WNBA presently has on offer. And I don't think a lesser brand of basketball helps the WNBA or women's basketball in the slightest.


Do you feel that the men's game is too mediocre? There are 450 NBA roster spots versus 144 for the WNBA. Are there really more than 3 times as many good male players than there are female players? If you added two WNBA teams, that would only raise the roster spots to 168 -- still only 37% of the men.



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
NYSports56



Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 637
Location: New Jersey, USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There are 450 NBA roster spots versus 144 for the WNBA. Are there really more than 3 times as many good male players than there are female players?


Could be. If you're almost good enough to get into the NBA, there are a lot more incentives to focus on and continue with basketball than there are for someone in a similar situation with a lower paying league like the WNBA. Also, I assume there is a higher percentage of the world's best women players playing elsewhere than you will find with the men.

Regardless of the numbers, if you expand, the quality of the game will go down. I'm not sure that's what the WNBA needs when it comes to attracting new fans.


root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 5086
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
There are 450 NBA roster spots versus 144 for the WNBA. Are there really more than 3 times as many good male players than there are female players?


Could be. If you're almost good enough to get into the NBA, there are a lot more incentives to focus on and continue with basketball than there are for someone in a similar situation with a lower paying league like the WNBA. Also, I assume there is a higher percentage of the world's best women players playing elsewhere than you will find with the men.

Regardless of the numbers, if you expand, the quality of the game will go down. I'm not sure that's what the WNBA needs when it comes to attracting new fans.


Be specific. How will diminished quality manifest itself? Lower scoring games? Worse shooting? Or maybe the opposite -- poorer defense and scores of 100-95 every night? Will we see less athletic play? Fewer dunks? Razz Expanding by two teams will produce such a conspicuous difference?



_________________
Even now by the gate with your long hair blowing
And the colors of the day that lie along your arms
You must barter your life to make sure you are living
And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7436



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

Regardless of the numbers, if you expand, the quality of the game will go down. I'm not sure that's what the WNBA needs when it comes to attracting new fans.


Quality of play would be subjective though. I don't think the average fan would have a different opinion of the play. And it seems that it would only matter if it affected attendance and ratings. Going by TV ratings, there is nothing to fear with regard to more teams. The lowest ESPN ratings ever was in 2017 under a modern 12 team league at 171,000 average per game (rebounded to 235,000 in 2018). In 2001 and 2002 the ESPN ratings for a 16 team league were over 250,000. Both TV ratings and attendance are on average worse under a 12 team league than they were under 16,14, 13 team leagues in the 2000s.



ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9844



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, the pool of female athletes is smaller than the pool of male athletes, for whatever reason.

Second, male athletes focus on a few major sports, because of the money involved. Elite female athletes are much more spread out -- playing soccer, water polo, etc.

Third, for whatever reason, fewer females like contact sports than males -- thus the popularity of volleyball for females relative to males.

As for the quality of play issue, if you think fans are basically dumb people who don't notice athleticism and skill level, then it wouldn't make any difference. If you feel fans watch the games and can tell the difference between a good player and average player, then quality of play does make a difference. (If quality of play was not a factor, then elite leagues (baseball, basketball, etc.) would have no reason to be more popular than amateur leagues.)

Expansion would create more pockets of fans, but the question would be how big those pockets would be given a drop in quality of play, and how much interest would be affected in areas without teams.

Of course, if four groups wanted to have WNBA teams next year, there would be immediate expansion. It's not really a question of available talent, but of available owners.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19853



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever waive Asia Taylor & sign Kennedy Burke.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14801
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fever waive Asia Taylor & sign Kennedy Burke.


Makes sense. With Taylor you know what you are going to get - at best 2 points per game. With Burke, that might also be what you get, but you might get more.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52084



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fever waive Asia Taylor & sign Kennedy Burke.


BOOYAH!



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 05/25/19 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25246



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Fever waive Asia Taylor & sign Kennedy Burke.


BOOYAH!


Laughing g1. got me.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52084



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/19 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big Change In Indy
https://www.wnba.com/news/inside-the-w-with-michelle-smith-the-big-change-in-indy/

Quote:
Chatman knows better than most than having a player of McCowan’s size is a game-changer in the WNBA, that players with similar profiles to McCowan – the likes of Liz Cambage, Brittney Griner and Sylvia Fowles – are among the most dominant players in the league.


Quote:
“It takes some time to grow,” Chatman said. “She is going to be huge for us, literally and figuratively, and she’s only going to get better.”

“It will be a new mindset for her and for every player on the floor. When she is in the game, we are going to do certain things with her, because they are effective. But that’s not all she can do.”


Quote:
“Her immediate impact at the defensive end will be more than the offensive end,” Chatman said.


Quote:
“I don’t have to be a 20-20 player right way, it’s probably not going to happen as a rookie, but I’m going to work toward it every day,” McCowan said.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52084



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/17/19 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QEdRK_3DW4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1140457561486974976/vid/1280x720/qu_lzxzeFFu-7Jfi.mp4



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 19853



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/24/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever forced to play elsewhere for 2020 & 2021 seasons. Any idea where they'll play? Hinkle Fieldhouse?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2019/06/24/bankers-life-fieldhouse-renovations-force-indiana-fever-relocate-outdoor-plaza-ice-skating/1528316001/?fbclid=IwAR3klYsYFWiX2CciyXRYG8sD4_IYxrWX8bkbo5DTxMyIGtpMGR1YMsktpoE



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1203



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/19 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fever forced to play elsewhere for 2020 & 2021 seasons. Any idea where they'll play? Hinkle Fieldhouse?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2019/06/24/bankers-life-fieldhouse-renovations-force-indiana-fever-relocate-outdoor-plaza-ice-skating/1528316001/?fbclid=IwAR3klYsYFWiX2CciyXRYG8sD4_IYxrWX8bkbo5DTxMyIGtpMGR1YMsktpoE


Or the fairgrounds. They played a preseason game there a few seasons ago. It’s as terrible as it sounds.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9844



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"At least the next two seasons" ...

How about an expanded Pacers' practice facility?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17856
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/28/19 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Teaira McCowan is the most efficient rebounder in the WNBA
Keith Geswein (High Post Hoops)

Quote:
Heading into Indiana’s game at Phoenix Friday, McCowan is first among players who regularly play with a rebounding percentage of 17.9%. This stat measures the percentage of available rebounds a player grabs while on the floor. She is third in the WNBA with 3.0 offensive rebounds per game. She’s 16th in the league and best on the Fever with 7.1 rebounds per game.


https://highposthoops.com/2019/06/28/why-teaira-mccowan-most-efficient-rebounder-in-wnba/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email


miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1203



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/15/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In 2018, after a brief stint in Los Angeles, Pondexter ended up with the Fever, who wanted a mentor for a young, rebuilding roster. Pondexter took pleasure in instructing those “babies,” as she called them, getting in their ears the day she arrived in Indiana, on the bench in street clothes just after signing.


https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/sports/basketball/cappie-pondexter-wnba-retired.html


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 59284
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/19 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the story of Wheeler’s journey from undrafted free agent to the top of the WNBA

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/31/20747902/erica-wheeler-wnba-all-star-mvp-indiana-fever

Quote:
The summer after graduation, Wheeler didn’t even get an invitation to a WNBA training camp. So she worked at a True Religion clothing store and as a youth counselor at a drug rehabilitation facility in Miami. Later that summer, a friend she had competed against in high school called and said her team in Puerto Rico needed a point guard. She didn’t exactly give a compelling sales pitch: “They’re offering $200 per week. The team is not that good. Come play.”



_________________
On Christmas Day, the Gingerbread Man said, ‘Ladyfingers, be my wife.’
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4941
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/31/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This is the story of Wheeler’s journey from undrafted free agent to the top of the WNBA

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/31/20747902/erica-wheeler-wnba-all-star-mvp-indiana-fever

Quote:
The summer after graduation, Wheeler didn’t even get an invitation to a WNBA training camp. So she worked at a True Religion clothing store and as a youth counselor at a drug rehabilitation facility in Miami. Later that summer, a friend she had competed against in high school called and said her team in Puerto Rico needed a point guard. She didn’t exactly give a compelling sales pitch: “They’re offering $200 per week. The team is not that good. Come play.”


Great article. Crying or Very sad



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 52084



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/19 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teaira McCowan is just scratching the surface of her potential
https://fansided.com/2019/08/01/teaira-mccowan-indiana-fever-interior-defense/

Quote:
Her block percentage is already top-10 all-time among rookies who played at least 400 minutes, and her steal percentage is in the top-40 all-time among rookie centers.

In addition, her work on the glass has been extraordinary. Not only is her total rebound percentage the best rookie mark in WNBA history, but it’s also the best single-season mark for any player of any experience level to have played at least 400 minutes. And it’s not just defensive rebounding driving that. She’s been exceptional on the offensive glass and leads the league in second-chance points per 100 possessions by a wide margin.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 442
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/01/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
This is the story of Wheeler’s journey from undrafted free agent to the top of the WNBA

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/31/20747902/erica-wheeler-wnba-all-star-mvp-indiana-fever

Quote:
The summer after graduation, Wheeler didn’t even get an invitation to a WNBA training camp. So she worked at a True Religion clothing store and as a youth counselor at a drug rehabilitation facility in Miami. Later that summer, a friend she had competed against in high school called and said her team in Puerto Rico needed a point guard. She didn’t exactly give a compelling sales pitch: “They’re offering $200 per week. The team is not that good. Come play.”


Great article. Crying or Very sad


I'm fighting tears at my desk at work reading this. What a wonderful story of perseverance, both professional and personal. I just became a bigger Erica Wheeler fan.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin