RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/23/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is Pokey's ninth season as a head coach in the league, and she has only be above .500 3 times. That is a terrible record.

How can she possibly continue to have a job?

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/19 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And even more so considering her past ...

PostPosted: 08/23/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
This is Pokey's ninth season as a head coach in the league, and she has only be above .500 3 times. That is a terrible record.

How can she possibly continue to have a job?

If she'd had four winning seasons in her first nine, she'd be Brian Agler...

PostPosted: 08/23/19 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Or they could be at the Chase Center in downtown SF ...

I know, I know, I keep singing the same song even though the melody is very faint ...

The Dream are so bad you now have your sights set on the Fever? Razz

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I know, I know, I keep singing the same song even though the melody is very faint ...

I'm just hoping we get somebody, though I will say straight up that if I don't get some kind of freelance gig, I will not be making the 90-minute-plus commute to Chase all that often. It will be a travel nightmare of epic proportions -- the Bay Area is second only to L.A. in terms of traffic madness.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I'm just hoping we get somebody, though I will say straight up that if I don't get some kind of freelance gig, I will not be making the 90-minute-plus commute to Chase all that often. It will be a travel nightmare of epic proportions -- the Bay Area is second only to L.A. in terms of traffic madness.

The good part is that the current traffic is better than future traffic, so enjoy it while you can. People still haven’t figured out that the same roads (and no new underpasses or overpasses) plus more people means traffic gets worse. Which is why you hear them complain about traffic but not development. And so the development continues, virtually unchallenged.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/19 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The good part is that the current traffic is better than future traffic, so enjoy it while you can. People still haven’t figured out that the same roads (and no new underpasses or overpasses) plus more people means traffic gets worse. Which is why you hear them complain about traffic but not development. And so the development continues, virtually unchallenged.

I actually did a long story for a magazine on traffic a few years ago, and the bottom line was this: If the economy's humming, the traffic will be horrible. If you want less congestion, root for a recession.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I actually did a long story for a magazine on traffic a few years ago, and the bottom line was this: If the economy's humming, the traffic will be horrible. If you want less congestion, root for a recession.

In Santa Clara County the population has gone up 50% since 1980 (which was when there was very little undeveloped land left and housing prices had just doubled in 3 years). There are doing "infill" which is tearing down auto repair shops and strip malls and warehouses, etc. and building increasingly high density residential. While there was some additional expressway/freeway lanes and two freeway extensions built in that time, the local roads have remained constant. And the infill is concentrated in certain cities that were of "mixed use" versus the wealthier areas that were primarily houses. Anyway, I would take a booming 1980 versus a depressed 2020 as far as local traffic goes.

Last edited by tfan on 08/24/19 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/19 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The economy has been humming at various times in the last 40 years in the Bay Area and traffic, at least in the South Bay, was better at those times than it is now. The further you go back the better it was. I am rooting for people to see a connection between traffic and population growth.

In some ways, it's the same thing. Jobs draw people; if the tech jobs don't explode, the people don't come -- or don't stay.

PostPosted: 08/24/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

In some ways, it's the same thing. Jobs draw people; if the tech jobs don't explode, the people don't come -- or don't stay.

But it is all controlled by zoning. Nothing increases - commercial or residential development - without the local (elected) politicians approving it. The politicians get paid by the developers and companies, so they are always for development. It is up to the people to stop it, but they are so easily influenced by pitches about "more jobs" or "more affordable housing", forgetting that more jobs is no benefit to them if an equivalent amount of new people come and compete for them, and more housing is no benefit to them if it is actually being built to handle an equivalent or more increase in population that came due to the increased commercial development. Building ONLY housing would lower housing prices, but both developers and existing home owners and landlords do not want a surplus of housing that drives down prices and creates significant vacancies in new and existing units.

The president of Shopify (located in Ottawa, Canada) was asked if he was going to relocate to Silicon Valley and he scoffed at the idea, saying that the continued business growth in such a crowded, expensive area is an example of groupthink.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/19 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

But it is all controlled by zoning. Nothing increases - commercial or residential development - without the local (elected) politicians approving it. The politicians get paid by the developers and companies, so they are always for development. It is up to the people to stop it, but they are so easily influenced by pitches about "more jobs" or "more affordable housing", forgetting that more jobs is no benefit to them if an equivalent amount of new people come and compete for them, and more housing is no benefit to them if it is actually being built to handle an equivalent or more increase in population that came due to the increased commercial development. Building ONLY housing would lower housing prices, but both developers and existing home owners and landlords do not want a surplus of housing that drives down prices and creates significant vacancies in new and existing units.

The president of Shopify (located in Ottawa, Canada) was asked if he was going to relocate to Silicon Valley and he scoffed at the idea, saying that the continued business growth in such a crowded, expensive area is an example of groupthink.

It's a complex equation ...

You are absolutely right about developers having the upper hand in any decisions about growth, but on the other hand, here in the Bay Area, the recession hammered home prices about 10 years ago, really hurting some families in the process. What raised those prices? More jobs ...

So yes, you can control growth and limit development, but you are also going to limit jobs and home prices. Which is more important?

An old line: A developer wants to build a house in the woods; an environmentalist already has a house in the woods.

PostPosted: 08/26/19 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

It's a complex equation ...

You are absolutely right about developers having the upper hand in any decisions about growth, but on the other hand, here in the Bay Area, the recession hammered home prices about 10 years ago, really hurting some families in the process. What raised those prices? More jobs ...

But there have always been business cycles. House prices go back up after a temporary decline in a recession once business recovers for the existing businesses. There isn't a need for new businesses to get houses prices back to where they were, just a need for the recession to end.

Quote:
So yes, you can control growth and limit development, but you are also going to limit jobs and home prices. Which is more important?

You don't specify the other choice besides "no limits on jobs (and people to come and take them - including from other countries) and home prices". If it is roads that aren't a parking lot at commute time and not sluggish at non-commute times, and housing that is affordable by everyone, I would choose that as more important.

It is true that house prices going up higher in an area like the Bay Area than they have in potential retirement areas allows retirees to take a big chunk of money out of their home when they sell and move. But on the flip side, lower paid native born workers , the type who are renters, have been net leavers (more moving out of the state than moving in) of California (at least the metro areas) for other states, and have been doing so since the early 1980's.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/31/19 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Kayla Alexander getting signed by the Sky, I wonder if she's getting double-paid. She was waived before the season by Indiana, but according to the Megdal salary data (if we believe it lmao) her contract was protected: https://highposthoops.com/2019/04/29/high-post-hoops-wnba-salary-breakdowns-team-team-edition/6/

And if all that's the case, why did Chatman keep the utterly cuttable McCall over her? Why pay 13 players when you can just pay 12, as both players were in a similar standing on the depth chart? Hopefully Megdal screwed up and her contract really wasn't protected, or there was a clause in it that made it unprotected in its final year or something, cuz otherwise that's a lot of money to waste in a probably cash-strapped franchise Mad

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/31/19 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams rarely cut a player and pay their full season's salary. The two sides usually reach a termination settlement for about half the amount. Using Megdal's numbers, half of Alexander's salary plus McCall's is almost exactly equal to Alexander's full salary. Therefore, if the cost is the same and Pokey likes McCall better, then keeping Erica makes sense.

PostPosted: 08/31/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Teams rarely cut a player and pay their full season's salary. The two sides usually reach a termination settlement for about half the amount. Using Megdal's numbers, half of Alexander's salary plus McCall's is almost exactly equal to Alexander's full salary. Therefore, if the cost is the same and Pokey likes McCall better, then keeping Erica makes sense.

Alexander being bought out makes the most sense. I just remember before this season when it was made clear that Bone was bought out in Vegas as opposed to just being waived, whereas they made it sound like Alexander was just waived like normal - that lack of clarity was why I didn't just assume she was bought out. Hopefully for the Fever's sake, she was.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/31/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players normally accept a buyout when there's some expectation of making the money back (usually via a vet minimum contract with someone else). I'm not sure Alexander would've has that, so there wasn't much reason to take less than the full amount. But Indiana had acres of cap space, with nothing much else on the horizon to spend it on, so if Pokey preferred McCall/Mavunga it wasn't a big deal to just cut Alexander. I can't be bothered to do all the maths but all that deal may have done is got them closer to the league minimum.

As for double-dipping, you're not actually allowed to earn much more than the applicable league max these days, thanks to a rule brought in a couple of CBAs ago. The Ruth Riley Rule, as some of us affectionately call it Wink.

PostPosted: 08/31/19 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Players normally accept a buyout when there's some expectation of making the money back (usually via a vet minimum contract with someone else). I'm not sure Alexander would've has that, so there wasn't much reason to take less than the full amount. But Indiana had acres of cap space, with nothing much else on the horizon to spend it on, so if Pokey preferred McCall/Mavunga it wasn't a big deal to just cut Alexander. I can't be bothered to do all the maths but all that deal may have done is got them closer to the league minimum.

As for double-dipping, you're not actually allowed to earn much more than the applicable league max these days, thanks to a rule brought in a couple of CBAs ago. The Ruth Riley Rule, as some of us affectionately call it Wink.

You're right, if my math is somewhat correct, including the full amount of Alexander's contract + those of the actual 12 on the roster, it comes out to right around $900K. So even if she is owed the full amount, it's really not too bad. And it looks poised to stay near or below that number through next year unless a good free agent actually wants to sign with a team that'll probably be in a minor-league arena the next couple years (though they are a team on the rise!).

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/31/19 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see how Alexander would be optimistic about her chances of landing another job. She is a young veteran in her prime. As things turned out, Kayla didn't find a job until recently -- but that's 20-20 hindsight. In terms of accepting less than her whole salary, we shouldn't discount the normal human desire to leave any place where you're not wanted.

On the other hand, if Indiana was struggling to hit the salary minimum, then obviously absorbing Alexander's full salary would not be a problem.

PostPosted: 08/31/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she played with Canada for a bit during the period she wasn't with a team, so that may have played into all of this somewhere too.

She also has a kids' book out: https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Basketball-Kayla-Alexander/dp/1999209508/ Smile

PostPosted: 08/31/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think she played with Canada for a bit during the period she wasn't with a team, so that may have played into all of this somewhere too.

She also has a kids' book out: https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Basketball-Kayla-Alexander/dp/1999209508/ Smile

That's cool.

As far as I can tell, of Amazon's Top 50 children's books about basketball, it is the only one focused on a girl. That's not cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/3404/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_books

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/31/19 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Kayla also did the illustrations. I tutor reading to grade school kids. I'll have to keep this in mind. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/05/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever Announce Butler University’s Hinkle Fieldhouse As Home Venue For 2020, 2021 and Part of 2022 WNBA Seasons

https://fever.wnba.com/hinkle-fieldhouse/

Quote:
Upon completion of the project, the Fever will return to Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks a little like the U of Minnesota’s “Barn”.

9100 capacity

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/05/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We don't have a lot of Indianapolis folks on here, but any info about the site, parking, traffic, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: 09/05/19 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Fever Announce Butler University’s Hinkle Fieldhouse As Home Venue For 2020, 2021 and Part of 2022 WNBA Seasons

https://fever.wnba.com/hinkle-fieldhouse/

Quote:
Upon completion of the project, the Fever will return to Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Very good news. It's a long time, but it's the right venue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: