RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/19 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mangakahia’s journey leading towards the WNBA

https://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/redlands/mangakahias-journey-leading-towards-the-wnba/news-story/566a6b84b97910c802343ba4e5e99ca9

Quote:
”When I started getting older and realising my potential I was around the age of 11 and that was when I started saying I want to play in the WNBA.”

Quote:
Mangakahia has a bright future ahead of her with the WNBA calling but she has something else on her mind right now.

My goal right now is to help the team win NCAA championship,” she said.

“Then after college I want to play in the WNBA and learn from the best. I would also love to play for the Opals that has always been a dream of mine.”

This article makes it sound like this is her last year. Why else would the focus of the article be about joining the WNBA if she was returning to Syracuse for another year?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/19 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Syracuse is 18-5 and ranked #16. Mangakahia is talking about helping her team win an NCAA Championship but it isn't likely in her junior year. And not likely if she sticks around for her senior year: They will lose a senior starter and their two 2019 commits both play the same position as Mangakahia - point guard. One (5'8") is ranked #27 at her position, and the other (5'7") is a Euro.

Last edited by tfan on 02/14/19 11:03 am; edited 8 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/19 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ill go ahead and start with the 2 20ppg seasons collier has had in comparison to what - a best of 14ppg?

a couple inches in height?
more rebounds, more blocks?
way better post up game, better midrange game?

zune69

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
ill go ahead and start with the 2 20ppg seasons collier has had in comparison to what - a best of 14ppg?

a couple inches in height?
more rebounds, more blocks?
way better post up game, better midrange game?

Collier also has wider shoulders and longer arms.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/14/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier's game is based much more on skill. Gabby relied heavily on her superior athleticism, and the gap between her and other players narrowed greatly at the next level. Also, her ability to defend bigger players was largely dependent upon ball denial. Williams impacted games by jumping passing lanes to either get steals or knock the ball away. That's harder to do at the next level since people are stronger, smarter at positioning, and themselves more athletic. UConn could also commit a lot of help to the post whenever needed. At the pro level, that's harder to do because opposing players are better and all demand defending.

As I've said before, both Gabby and Collier came out of high school as wing players. Just because Auriemma deployed them as post players doesn't mean they are post players -- especially at the next level. Geno seems to shy away from using true post players because most don't move and pass well enough to fit his style of basketball. He values his system more than individual match-ups. This year he's been reluctant to use Nelson-Ododa, preferring to go with undersized Collier and Megan Walker. I thought Geno lucked out the other day against South Carolina when Walker got in foul trouble and he was forced to replace her with ONO. That solidified the UConn defense, and I thought it was the catalyst that propelled them to a big 3rd Quarter. Last year, he chose Collier and Gabby over the bigger, more talented Azura Stevens. The prior year, he resisted using Natalie Butler even situationally. I thought that cost him in the semi-final against Mississippi State. McCowan and Okorie were able to make some important baskets in the second half of a low-scoring game by simply out-muscling Gabby, then shooting over her. Going back even farther, Auriemma used undersized forward combinations drawing from Kelly Faris, Tiffany Hayes, and Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis. Whoever you want to say was the PF -- most often Faris -- Auriemma could have gone the traditional route with Kiah Stokes or Heather Buck. Instead, he preferred to go small despite getting killed off the boards in big games against ND and Baylor. This is just the way Geno prefers to play. It doesn't mean that a WNBA coach should follow his lead. I was shocked when Amber Stocks used Gabby as a PF. Drafting Williams with DeShields was a huge blunder. The obvious move after DeShields was to take Stevens. She was both the best player talent-wise and the best fit positionally.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, the only problem for a starting power forward who averaged 4 rebounds a night, on the worst rebounding team in the league, with far and away the worst team defense in the league, who got murdered inside by opposing 4s on a nightly basis, was her jump shot. By all means tell me why Collier's different from Williams, but don't "well actually" me about Williams's crappy first pro season.

Collier is taller than Williams (by at least 2 inches) and has a larger wingspan. I do not want to be some sort of cheerleader for her, but it is mindless to deduce much about her chances based upon Williams who has greater limitations (shooting, and, yes, size). Remember that Napheesa made it to the final cut of USA basketball (I know it was not an Olympic year roster), when a player like Gabby has never gotten a smell at that level.
One other point worth noting (I have noted it before): size (past a minimum of 6 foot one or two inches) at the power forward in the WNBA is relatively unimportant. Wlliams (listed 5'11") is really small, but Collier should do better. Look around the league; the only teams with real bigs at the 4 are NY and LV; hardly paradigms for success. Over 80% of the league features power forwards close in height to Collier.In watching USA basketball last summer, for example, it seemed that Neka and Collier were about the same size.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/14/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK has got things wrong in the past Laughing Laughing He may live in her white privilege area but that doesn't mean anyone will tell him what they really think.

I often get things wrong and try to acknowledge them ...

But I'm a little stung by the "white privilege" comment. How would you describe an urban environment? Are they more honest there?

It also doesn't make sense ... why would Sabrina (who did not grow up in "white privilege" circumstances) be any less likely to tell me the truth than anyone else? Especially since I've known her since fifth grade.

And I will concede I still get "white privilege" advantages, but my bank account doesn't reflect it, that's for sure.

I'm probably overreacting -- most likely the extra cup of coffee.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I never said that Collier was just the same as Williams and could therefore be dismissed as having the same issues - merely that the surface similarities might give some people pause in evaluating where they should go. Also it is actually pretty rare at WNBA level that being a 3/4 is valuable for the flexibility - it's far more common that players need to find a primary position to make it in the league.

And I genuinely appreciate reasons why Collier might outperform Williams - I haven't seen that much even of UConn, especially this year.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although i do agree Collier is better than Williams offensively , i dont think there will be a glaring difference in either's rookie of the year performances.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
For what it's worth, I never said that Collier was just the same as Williams and could therefore be dismissed as having the same issues - merely that the surface similarities might give some people pause in evaluating where they should go. Also it is actually pretty rare at WNBA level that being a 3/4 is valuable for the flexibility - it's far more common that players need to find a primary position to make it in the league.

And I genuinely appreciate reasons why Collier might outperform Williams - I haven't seen that much even of UConn, especially this year.

independent of the Williams comparison, you have highlighted the big ? for Collier. This 3-4 issue can be tricky. Look at Alyssa Thomas. A high draft pick, she came into the league as a 3, but struggled with the lack of an outside game. The injury to Chiney forced Connecticut to try her as one of those 6'2" power forwards. Lo and behold, her particular skill set led to All Star status.....Of course, greatness can overcome...Consider Stewart who played the 3 for USA basketball and was MVP in the Worlds.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa's Megan Gustafson is destroying defenses as nation's top scorer

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25980781/iowa-megan-gustafson-destroying-defenses-nation-top-scorer

Quote:
Averaging 27.3 points per game entering the week, Gustafson is on track to be the first player from a major conference to lead the nation in scoring in back-to-back seasons. She would be the first to do so on a team of national significance since Southwest Missouri State's Jackie Stiles nearly 20 years ago.

Quote:
"They're definitely mixing it up all the time," Gustafson said of the adjustments encountered this season. "A lot of times they'll have two or three posts rotating in, and I'll be playing the whole time, which I'm fine with. I'm very well-conditioned, and I'm thankful for it. Just seeing that they're giving me, double- and triple-teams -- and trying to figure out where they're coming from -- is definitely something I've worked on."

Quote:
"That's part of my role -- if I have to take over a game, I'm going to have to do it," Gustafson said. "My teammates know that. They depend on me, and they trust me 100 percent. Even if they're thinking, 'I don't know if I can get this ball in there,' they're going to throw it up there anyway because I'm telling them to. They do a great job of reading when I do know I can get it, even if they don't think they can get it to me. At the end of the day, the trust is there."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/14/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
5. Dallas Wings: Kalani Brown
Quote:
Brown is a franchise center the Wings would be getting at five here
Other teams before #5 don’t need a franchise center?

Yes, as he clearly showed by having Indiana draft McCowan.

I appreciate that you recognize her as a franchise level center, but even more teams don’t need a franchise level center?

The use of the term franchise center for Brown does not presuppose that she is the only one or that McCowan is not one. Megdal specifically said (of McCowan), "This remains the most logical combination of slot, talent, team need and fit in the entire draft. She’s the best rebounder in the country."

It seems that you are harping on the term "franchise center" without considering the possibility that the draft has more than one such player or that "franchise center" means "franchise player to be taken over any an all positions" (as demonstrated by your subsequent responses to my comments about Chicago).

Shades wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
He also noted how difficult it was to figure out where Chicago would go with its pick.

So create a log jam at SF and pass on a center you consider “franchise”?

Apparently, I just became Howard Megdal. Those were his words, not mine.

Shades wrote:
I’m quibbling over Megdal’s use of “franchise” if it’s not clear.

It was not clear.

Shades wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
9. Connecticut Sun: Ezi Magbegor
If she’s good enough to go at #9, shouldn’t Brondello want her at #8? This could be Megdal messing with Brondello’s head.

Yes, because Jim Pitman -- who is the Mercury's GM, not Sandy Brondello -- is basing his draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

But same for Brondello...I am sure she is basing her contributions to the franchise's draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

I thought I was pretty clear here.

Not at all.

Shades wrote:
It was an odd placement for Magbegor considering Brondello could take her highly rated (by Megdal) Opal player under her wing. Is there that huge of a chasm between #8 and #9 that she would see fit to pass on Magbegor? I’m asking about Megdal’s thought process here in case it wasn’t clear.

"This could be Megdal messing with Brondello’s head" was not clear at all and, frankly, has nothing to do with your subsequent comment.

But your follow-up comment clarified your intent and what you are trying to say, so thank you.

And now that you have clarified, I agree with you. I believe that if either Alanna Smith or Ezi Magbegor is on the board, Brondello will take the player at #8.

Shades wrote:
Obviously non-collegiate international players get treated the same as American players in the draft, so no distinction needs to be drawn.

Treated the same in the draft, in terms of draft placement and salary position? Yes. That is set by the CBA.

But not the same in terms of draft eligibility.

Shades wrote:
But yeah, looks like you finally begrudgingly agreed that this is a notable oversight? Is this a bonding moment?

Another bonding moment, since I agreed with you above re Phoenix's draft selection! We are just racking up the bonding moments!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/14/19 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK has got things wrong in the past Laughing Laughing He may live in her white privilege area but that doesn't mean anyone will tell him what they really think.

He even calls himself “Dead Wrong In Public”, so that’s reason enough to examine the context of an important and potentially rumor-starting claim made on a heavily trafficked draft discussion thread.

ClayK wrote:
I often get things wrong and try to acknowledge them ...

But I'm a little stung by the "white privilege" comment. How would you describe an urban environment? Are they more honest there?

It also doesn't make sense ... why would Sabrina (who did not grow up in "white privilege" circumstances) be any less likely to tell me the truth than anyone else? Especially since I've known her since fifth grade.

And I will concede I still get "white privilege" advantages, but my bank account doesn't reflect it, that's for sure.

I'm probably overreacting -- most likely the extra cup of coffee.

Time for Nixtreefan to bear the nickname "Dead Wrong in Public."

tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disregarding right or wrong, if the board had a sportsmanship award, ClayK would win it every year.

Last edited by tfan on 02/14/19 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there may be someone here that can help. Can anyone tell me how to do multiple quotes in a post? I can only do one, unless go through a sort of long process involving manually typing so and so wrote...and then pasting a quote in etc.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think there may be someone here that can help. Can anyone tell me how to do multiple quotes in a post? I can only do one, unless go through a sort of long process involving manually typing so and so wrote...and then pasting a quote in etc.

You mean (without the spaces by []) this?

[ quote="poster name1" ]
blah blah
[ /quote ]

A response to poster name1 statement.

[ quote="poster name2" ]
blah blah
[ /quote ]

A response to poster name2 statement...

Or nested:

[ quote="poster name1" ]
[ quote="poster name2" ]
blah blah from poster name2
[ /quote ]
blah blah from poster name1 replying to poster name2
[ /quote ]

A response to both comments...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/14/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im still perplexed at the "Franchise Center" comments being thrown around about Kalani or Big T . Not sure who needs to hear this but dallas would love to have either , but i doubt they would be a focal point or center piece to bulid a team around. Maybe Big T more so in 5 to 6 years , i dont see that potential in Kalani .

PostPosted: 02/14/19 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I just hit quote and add my comment. Then do a 'CTRL C' over everything there. Go back to the thread and hit quote again at the second one. Then 'Ctrl V' to copy the first one after or before the new one...etc...

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/14/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I put up a second tab, go to the same thread, take the quotes from the second tab and copy them into the response box of the first.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Im still perplexed at the "Franchise Center" comments being thrown around about Kalani or Big T . Not sure who needs to hear this but dallas would love to have either , but i doubt they would be a focal point or center piece to bulid a team around. Maybe Big T more so in 5 to 6 years , i dont see that potential in Kalani .

For me, there are questions about these two premier draft bigs Brown has a great pro body, and decent offensive ability, but it does not appear she has much defensive mobility. The biggest problem with "Big T" is that she runs like nailed to the floor. In the next televised Miss St. game, watch her try to run up court. Unless someone like Courtney Paris is her WNBA opponent, she will have huge problems trying to keep up in the W. Her lack of offense outside 6 feet is another issue.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

For me, there are questions about these two premier draft bigs Brown has a great pro body, and decent offensive ability, but it does not appear she has much defensive mobility. The biggest problem with "Big T" is that she runs like nailed to the floor. In the next televised Miss St. game, watch her try to run up court. Unless someone like Courtney Paris is her WNBA opponent, she will have huge problems trying to keep up in the W. Her lack of offense outside 6 feet is another issue.

Her slow feet seem up to par for the W. There's no blazing footspeed in the post at the C position right now . Although these 2 rookies are a bit slower than average i dont see them getting left in the dust by Steph Dolson or Sylvia Fowles , Tina charles ect. Big T actually has a decent game outside of 6 feet her mechanics are what need work at the next level .

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Her slow feet seem up to par for the W. There's no blazing footspeed in the post at the C position right now . Although these 2 rookies are a bit slower than average i dont see them getting left in the dust by Steph Dolson or Sylvia Fowles , Tina charles ect. Big T actually has a decent game outside of 6 feet her mechanics are what need work at the next level .

It is unfair to pair Brown with T when talking footspeed. Teira is one of the slowest open court movers i have ever seen. Again, i urge you to watch her attempting to run. BTW Fowles does a nice job running the court, and I disagree with this notion that the WNBA is full of slow bigs.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded to my quote question. I'll give those a try next time I want to do multi-quotes

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It is unfair to pair Brown with T when talking footspeed. Teira is one of the slowest open court movers i have ever seen. Again, i urge you to watch her attempting to run. BTW Fowles does a nice job running the court, and I disagree with this notion that the WNBA is full of slow bigs.

Ive watched Big T run since her days at Brenham , Shes not the fastest but shes not the slowest . Not sure if you have seen Kalani run lately but shes not blazing down the court neither. Thus the reason i stated neither should be considered "Franchise" players.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 39 of 74

Jump to: