RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/21/19 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the Liberty I still prefer the scoring guards Durr or Ogunbowale (or Ionescu if she declares even if we have to try and trade up) because I want more scoring and I think they will both be able to score at the next level, and either will be better than what we have right now, and I am not convinced that UFAs Prince or Zelous will return after the joy of being on the Liberty last year so I'm no sure the log jam at SG is as jammed as it has been.

If we go big I have switched my preference to McCowan over Brown, McCowan's defense and rebounding will translate, but I think that will slot the Liberty into more years of grind it out basketball without too much offense, that has worked for us in the past but can be painful to watch if you are not winning. Though if McCowan is our choice we might be able to win that way, and imo McCowan would be a very good compliment to Charles upfront, and the combo of McCowan and Stokes at the 5 could bring our defense back to where it has been in previous seasons.

When it comes to the SF spot, if we go that way I would prefer KLS to Collier. KLS' shooting would be the main reason. NY needs another knock down shooter with range, and KLS has that if nothing else and the potential is there to grow other aspects of her game and create mismatches and offense from the 3. I really like Collier but I am not sure she is a SF I think she is a skilled undersized PF maybe she can develop the rest of her game to transition but as has been seen in the past that is a hard transition. I do however believe that Collier could work in the league as an undersized PF. I am not sure the Swin comparison is the best, Cash if I remember correctly played the 3 at UConn with Williams and Jones in the post, Collier has played almost exclusively at the 4 or the 5 the last two years (if not her whole career. Also Swin imo had slightly better range and handle. Collier seems a little closer to me to say Sophia Young, who was a very successful undersized PF or maybe even a slightly smaller Charles?.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/21/19 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Is Collier this year's Gabby?

Gabby is probably gonna be a one of the best small forwards in the league in 5 years, so...yeah? I just hope she's not still playing with Diamond because I would love to watch that matchiup.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/21/19 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cash was a 4/5 at uconn especially her jr and sr seasons.
she played her rookie year as a 4 in the W. once laimbeer was hired as coach is when she was 'changed' to a 3.she didn't really have any consistent range til she was in seattle. she scored her 15-20 per game off transition, slashing, free-throws.

colliers offensive game is definitely more along at this point, imo. this year i have seen collier rebound and bring the ball up in transition ala cash her 2nd/3rd/4th year in the W.

i actually think the comparison is spot on, cash was just more wiry/athletic even faster than collier.

zune69

PostPosted: 01/21/19 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just watched the highlights of McCowan's 35p/19r game against Oregon. I've been selling Teaira a bit short. McCowan showed more mobility and low post moves in the Oregon game than any game this season. She even knocked down a jump shot. I also believe Bill is posturing when he says "there are only quality role players" in this draft....R.Brunson was never more than a 3rd/4th, but she was more than just a quality roleplayer. Brunson was a rebounding/defensive star and a game changer. The same can be said for Cheryl Ford...In 3-4 years I can see McCowan being a 16p/12r elite post defender....That's more than just a role player.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8CiP2Q-ZGdM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/21/19 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
cash was a 4/5 at uconn especially her jr and sr seasons.
she played her rookie year as a 4 in the W. once laimbeer was hired as coach is when she was 'changed' to a 3.she didn't really have any consistent range til she was in seattle. she scored her 15-20 per game off transition, slashing, free-throws.

colliers offensive game is definitely more along at this point, imo. this year i have seen collier rebound and bring the ball up in transition ala cash her 2nd/3rd/4th year in the W.

i actually think the comparison is spot on, cash was just more wiry/athletic even faster than collier.

X __________

Laimbeer essentially revolutionized the SF position in the W by starting Swin there and having the offensive run through her on the way to a title in 2003. Swin was one of the fastest players in the league at the time and just was able to use athleticism, quickness and speed to be an effective slasher.

Re: Collier I’m watching the Temple game and seeing Collier score inside at will. I think people look at that and see “tweener”. But I look at the Baylor game and how she took Cox away from the basket and had success in one on one situations. Also, she has SF footwork, jab steps, etc. Good vision, good passing, good handle for a 3, can pull up and score. To me, it’s not that she’s playing inside because that’s her spot. She’s doing what the team needs her to do even though she has natural skills as a wing player. She also defers to high scoring teammates when she could score herself. On another college team she’d be averaging 20-25 a game and she’d be viewed as a potential volume scorer. That willingness to fit in wherever the team needs her is going to translate very well as a pro who helps her team win. Every time I see her I like her game more and more. She does whatever you need to win.

Swin’s 3 and FT percentages were mediocre in ‘03 yet she succeeded at the position. Looking at WNBA SFs of varying skill levels, many of them started their career as non 3 ball shooters or barely 3 ball shooters. Some can’t shoot it now. Angel, Zellous, Christmas, TRP, Kaela Davis, Alisha Gray. We’re talking starting wing players, all of whom have started at the 3 for multiple years except Davis (bench) and Gray (out of position 2 guard). Collier is better than all of them except for Angel. As a pro. Right now.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two questions about McCowan, I think:

1) Is she fast enough to keep up with the other centers in the league?

2) Can she defend the pick-and-roll?

I have serious doubts about both, enough that I don't expect her to be an immediate success in the league. Can she step in right away and play 12-15 mpg as a backup? Most likely. Will she be an starter from day one? I just don't see it.

But she could turn out to be a very effective WNBA player at some point in her career, and certainly will do well overseas.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Gabby is probably gonna be a one of the best small forwards in the league in 5 years, so...yeah? I just hope she's not still playing with Diamond because I would love to watch that matchiup.

Diamond will be one of the best SF in the league in 5 years yes .

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 01/21/19 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I have serious doubts about both, enough that I don't expect her to be an immediate success in the league. Can she step in right away and play 12-15 mpg as a backup? Most likely. Will she be an starter from day one? I just don't see it.

But she could turn out to be a very effective WNBA player at some point in her career, and certainly will do well overseas.

As I mentioned earlier, MSU plays the fastest pace in the country and is one of the fastest teams in the nation, if not the fastest. McCowan isn’t going to get caught in between in a WNBA transition game as she does in college because no WNBA team plays at a pace allowing for 91 ppg. McCowan is just as fast or faster than Cambage, and she’s about the same size. McCowan isn’t Cambage as a player overall obviously, but McCowan is more agile. If Cambage can be functional in a team defense, then McCowan should be too.

Kia Vaughn was a starter for the Libs the last two years. Krystal Thomas for DC two years ago. If they could each be starters on winning teams...

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Not sure of the point of this post. She could be a success but not right away. Safest call to make, and when haven’t you said that about every prospect? Who out of this draft is an immediate success?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/21/19 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let’s put it this way. LV started Swords for a reasonable amount of last season. Does McCowan start over her? Chicago started Dolson and Williams. With Parker and Dolson sharing minutes at times. Does McCowan get minutes over those horrible defensive combinations? Over Vaughn or Stokes in NY? I think the answer is clear in all three instances. I think she’d start even over an improved Achonwa. It’s not like Indy was good defensively last year. They were terrible. How much worse could they be with a 6’7” shot blocker when they haven’t defended the rim for years?

PostPosted: 01/21/19 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

espnW Player of the week:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=25789560&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/21/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not sure of the point of this post. She could be a success but not right away. Safest call to make, and when haven’t you said that about every prospect? Who out of this draft is an immediate success?

Good question ... of course that's the safest course with every prospect, but should that be the case for the potential No. 1 overall pick?

Ideally, the top two or three picks should be able to step in as starters from day one, which was my primary point in bringing this up.

I also think the team's pace-of-play is a bit misleading. McCowan does not get up and down the court quickly, though her teammates do, and if she's the last one down, the team pace-of-play does not necessarily apply to her.

Basically, I'm talking about speed -- my sense is that Kia Vaughn is faster than McCowan, and certainly Sylvia Fowles is as well. Perhaps the gap isn't large enough to make a difference, but it could well be (sorry for not being more definitive).

And the pick-and-roll question comes back to quickness, and to the Courtney Paris comparisons. Clearly, McCowan is four to five inches taller than Paris, which is a huge difference, but it wasn't Paris' size that has limited her, but rather her inability, especially early in her career, to defend the pick-and-roll.

So you have the No. 1 overall pick, and if you share these concerns, then it seems to me McCowan is more of a gamble than Durr or Ogwunbowale ... though neither of them are surefire stars either. I would say, though, that I'm more convinced both will be starters or play close to starter's minutes off the bench in year one than McCowan. Then again, McCowan could be much more valuable five years on.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a few comments:

1) Collier is way better offensively than Gabby Williams. Napheesa put up 20.4 ppg as a sophomore and has averaged over 18 ppg over the last three years. Williams had a high of 14.3 as a junior and averaged a little over 11 ppg over her last 3 years. Collier isn't reliable from long range, but she's fine from midrange, and she has a variety of moves down low. Gabby primarily scored by driving past slower opponents and then hitting that reach around scoop shot. Collier simply has a more diverse arsenal than Williams.

2) The discussions on this board have demonstrated that all of these players are flawed and that none of them are sure things. However, the draft goes on and some players have to be taken high. You can't just go around saying everybody is unworthy. Furthermore, people have to look at the positives as well as the negatives. I see a lot of dwelling on the negatives. I also see a lot of cherry-picking of games to prove a point. One has to consider a player's overall career, not only what happened today or even just this season. It's also necessary to take into account factors like injuries and the player's supporting cast.

3) In the last two years, we've seen the NCAAW career leading scorers enter the WNBA -- Kelsey Plum and Kelsey Mitchell. Neither has taken the league by storm. So, why do people think Durr and Ogunbowale will do any better? If you're only looking at senior years, then arguably Rachel Banham and Odyssey Sims had more dominant seasons. Now, if you want to make the athletic ability argument, I don't see where Durr and Ogunbowale are superior athletes. They don't jump out at you (literally and figuratively) the way a Brittney Sykes or Courtney Williams do. (I'll leave Deshields out of the argument because she's a much taller player.) I'm not saying that Durr and Ogunbowale won't be good. I'm just asking why their fans think they'll start off better as rookies than other players who were more successful either careerwise and/or in their senior season. I know with Arike people will point to her big shot ability. Fair enough, you can be flawed and inconsistent but that one virtue will carry you a long way. We've seen that with Kristi Toliver. Still, it took a while for Toliver's career to take off, and even then she was criticized for a myriad of sins -- turnovers, indiscriminate chucking, bad defense, moping on the bench -- that suggested her big shot ability was not always enough to justify her minutes.

4) If you look at recent history, the players who have had the most immediate success are the power forward/quick centers like Wilson, Stewart, Chiney, EDD, Nneka, Charles, and Parker. So maybe people should be taking a closer look at Anigwe, Smith or even Gustafson. I would argue Megan is a better athlete than people give her credit for. She's not only leading the nation in scoring, but she is also third in rebounds right behind Anigwe and McCowan. Megan is even averaging more blocked shots than Kalani Brown. Smith is second in the nation in 3Pt shooting at 50.5% (46-91). She is 15th in scoring (Ogunbowale #10, Durr #11) and 18th in blocks (6th among P5 players). Anigwe is 6th in the nation in scoring as well as the leading rebounder. She invites physical play, and there is no doubt about her athletic ability.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have two 6’7 players in this draft. Players of that size that could be lottery picks don’t come around too often. 5’8 guards are in abundance. I’m really high on Slocum whenever she comes out. Chennedy Carter is another one to keep an eye on. Where are these 6’7 players of the future? I guess Oregon St has a 6’9 freshman but did she redshirt for some reason? I don’t think she’s a back to the basket type either. People think it should be easy to pass on 6’7 bigs?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/21/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You have two 6’7 players in this draft. Players of that size that could be lottery picks don’t come around too often. 5’8 guards are in abundance. I’m really high on Slocum whenever she comes out. Chennedy Carter is another one to keep an eye on. Where are these 6’7 players of the future? I guess Oregon St has a 6’9 freshman but did she redshirt for some reason? I don’t think she’s a back to the basket type either. People think it should be easy to pass on 6’7 bigs?

It would be a major mistake if any lottery team passes on either Brown or McCowen. Any mock draft that has any of the two posts players falling out of the lottery is a suspect and questionable mock draft. I doubt if either player drops below the third pick.

PostPosted: 01/21/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a brain teaser for everybody: if Alanna Smith continues to play the way she's been playing -- acknowledging that we still have a long way to go -- why can't she be like Emma Meesseman? We're talking about 14 ppg and 6 boards. Not superstar level, but a pretty good player. Obviously, Meesseman has the confidence and experience advantage that pretty much guarantees she'll succeed whereas Smith could get awe-struck and totally flop. But deconstructing the two players based on size, athletic ability, and skill set, they look very similar to me. Smith has good footwork and scoring ability down low, she shoots 3s reliably, and she is active on defense with decent shot-blocking ability. So, if Emma Meesseman was in this draft, where would you take her?

PostPosted: 01/21/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

It what way? Even though Collier is instantly going to be the 3rd best SF in when she enters the WNBA by some people, she hasn't been touted as the #1 pick like Gabby was? I take that back because I think some posters over at the Boneyard has her or KLS going #1 in the draft.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/21/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that the National team is a perfect measuring stick but I think come 2020 the guards in serious contention to make the team (outside of Bird and DT) will be

Diggins-Smith, Sims, Plum, Loyd, McBride, C. Gray, K. Mitchell, Durr, Ogunbowale and Ionescu.

If you are in that mix you are probably going to be a starter borderline all-star type of player. If that is the tier that Asia and Arike are on that is good enough for me.

This is not to say the other top 6 draft prospects won't be in consideration Collier was a very late cut for the Worlds team and KLS was hurt. I can't remember if McCowan or Brown were in any camps this go round but their position is stacked and they were both still in college I am sure they will get considered for 2020 camps.

All I am saying is that Durr and Ogunbowale as college seniors and Ionescu as a junior are already seen as serious contenders for best in the country at their position.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/21/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft day set for Wednesday, April 10.

https://highposthoops.com/2019/01/21/2019-wnba-draft-date-april-10-achonwa-fever/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/22/19 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Here's a brain teaser for everybody: if Alanna Smith continues to play the way she's been playing -- acknowledging that we still have a long way to go -- why can't she be like Emma Meesseman? We're talking about 14 ppg and 6 boards. Not superstar level, but a pretty good player. Obviously, Meesseman has the confidence and experience advantage that pretty much guarantees she'll succeed whereas Smith could get awe-struck and totally flop. But deconstructing the two players based on size, athletic ability, and skill set, they look very similar to me. Smith has good footwork and scoring ability down low, she shoots 3s reliably, and she is active on defense with decent shot-blocking ability. So, if Emma Meesseman was in this draft, where would you take her?

I wrote a lengthy retort to this and deleted it after realizing what your point was. While I agree that they are similar players, I'm just not sure how I feel about that comparison considering the difference in experience levels.

Granted, Emma was drafted lower than her talent thanks to the likes of Alba Torrens, etc. who were drafted and never came over. Whereas, Alanna coming to the US for college shows that she wants a career here. Which is why I put her at #12 so she can play for my Storm. However, not surprised if she does go higher than that. She's super skilled.

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/22/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I just watched the highlights of McCowan's 35p/19r game against Oregon. I've been selling Teaira a bit short. McCowan showed more mobility and low post moves in the Oregon game than any game this season. She even knocked down a jump shot. I also believe Bill is posturing when he says "there are only quality role players" in this draft....R.Brunson was never more than a 3rd/4th, but she was more than just a quality roleplayer. Brunson was a rebounding/defensive star and a game changer. The same can be said for Cheryl Ford...In 3-4 years I can see McCowan being a 16p/12r elite post defender....That's more than just a role player.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8CiP2Q-ZGdM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I would not use that game to evaluate McCowan. Greaves made a serious mistake in that game. He never used Hebert on her defensively at all in that game. instead he used short forwards to try to keep her off the boards. McCowan just went over their backs ( she was too tall for them) for offensive boards and put backs. When Hebart put a body on her in their game this season it was like day and night.

Now McCowan might have also had an off game but Hebart bodied her up and kept her off the O boards and that is her strength in games. in the WNBA there are plenty of players that are capable and tall enough to keep her from dominating the O boards. I personally also felt that Greaves could have used his 6'6" reserve center on her as well. All it takes is someone with relative mobility and height to keep her from those O Boards. Now McCowan is not slow but she will not dominate in the WNBA to justify being the first pick.

PostPosted: 01/22/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I wrote a lengthy retort to this and deleted it after realizing what your point was. While I agree that they are similar players, I'm just not sure how I feel about that comparison considering the difference in experience levels.

Granted, Emma was drafted lower than her talent thanks to the likes of Alba Torrens, etc. who were drafted and never came over. Whereas, Alanna coming to the US for college shows that she wants a career here. Which is why I put her at #12 so she can play for my Storm. However, not surprised if she does go higher than that. She's super skilled.

Essentially, I was trying to get people to think outside the box. Making a comparison -- attaching the name of a current WNBA player -- was the easiest way to get people's attention and make the idea concrete. (Although you're the only one who responded, so I guess I failed.Laughing ) For months, we've been debating the same six players for the top spots, and yet most of the discussion has been negative. Well, if these players are so unsatisfactory, why not widen the search? I want to redirect attention to players in this draft who may not be high concept (really tall) or high profile (plays for UConn, ND, Baylor, etc.) who may be better prospects. To a large extent, they are outperforming the big six statistically and/or they are better athletes. I think fans are ignoring these players because they didn't come into the season as the favorites to be drafted high or because their teams aren't as visible.

PostPosted: 01/22/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Now McCowan is not slow but she will not dominate in the WNBA to justify being the first pick.

Someones gotta be the #1 pick, and McCowan is the frontrunner IMO...McCowan doesn't have to dominate the league to justify being the #1 pick.Just rebound,defend,and score 12-15 ppg...Also, I keep hearing people talk about bigger WNBA players keeping McCowan off the boards. Who are these bigger players?

Chi-Dolson-One of the worse rebounding centers in the league.
Ind-Achonwa-One of the worse post defenders in the league.
Wash-Pringle-Who's probably 50 pounds lighter than McCowan.
Sea- Stewart- Who's probably 50 pounds lighter than McCowan.
LA-Parker- who really doesn't like to bang.
NY-Vaughn- 6'3
ATL-Williams-6'3
Phoe-Griner- Not exactly known for her rebounding.

Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

She’s not all that bad a defender. Just wait until Gustafson joins the league if you want to dis somebody’s defense.

I suppose it could just be a college thing. Iowa can’t afford to not have her on the court, so she avoids foul trouble.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/22/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

She’s not all that bad a defender. Just wait until Gustafson joins the league if you want to dis somebody’s defense.

I suppose it could just be a college thing. Iowa can’t afford to not have her on the court, so she avoids foul trouble.

Achonwa has to lead the WNBA in drawing flagrant fouls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 32 of 74

Jump to: