RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 12/10/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Reeve may try and sign Ivory Latta & bring back a hobbled Lynetta Kizer next season instead of some youth to develop for the future.

Are you sure? That might be too young for Reeve. I hear Lisa Leslie and Ticha Penicheiro are being asked to come out of retirement to play for the Lynx.

PostPosted: 12/10/18 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Reeve may try and sign Ivory Latta & bring back a hobbled Lynetta Kizer next season instead of some youth to develop for the future.

Are you sure? That might be too young for Reeve. I hear Lisa Leslie and Ticha Penicheiro are being asked to come out of retirement to play for the Lynx.

Reeve decided after last season she wants to repeat history and make the Lynx be like the current day Indiana Fever, which is why she made trading superstar Howard for nothing her #1 priority (along with wanting the Storm to win 5 titles before any other team), because when the Fever traded her they went from making the Finals to losing in the 1st round of the playoffs, and the Lynx followed suit by losing in the 1st round of the playoffs this year. So expect me to riot if the Lynx trade the #6 pick for Candice Dupree or something like that. 😡

Shades

PostPosted: 12/10/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you watched the Lynx exit interview, Reeve said their formula has always worked before, and after last season she’s finally come to the realization that she may have to change up that philosophy. I hope she doesn’t change too extremely and seeks like a happy medium. I wouldn’t mind Reeve trading the first round pick if she can get a bargain in a good player not on their last season or two. Some teams might be overloaded at a position and/or have cap issues. Identify and take advantage. Gotta make up for the abysmal Howard trade.

Ideally, don’t trade anything and pick up a difference-making free agent for free (outside the salary). It’s hard to do, but that’s a successful GM’s job.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 12/10/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Whalen retired they've got a bit of cap room to work with

PostPosted: 12/10/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Reeve decided after last season she wants to repeat history and make the Lynx be like the current day Indiana Fever, which is why she made trading superstar Howard for nothing her #1 priority (along with wanting the Storm to win 5 titles before any other team), because when the Fever traded her they went from making the Finals to losing in the 1st round of the playoffs, and the Lynx followed suit by losing in the 1st round of the playoffs this year. So expect me to riot if the Lynx trade the #6 pick for Candice Dupree or something like that. 😡

Dupree's too young, Reeve likely will go for Cappie Pondexter & the rights to Maria Stepanova.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/11/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you watched the Lynx exit interview, Reeve said their formula has always worked before, and after last season she’s finally come to the realization that she may have to change up that philosophy.

Sure, it only took a year too late. Smile If the goal was for the Lynx to win, I thought, assuming Howard is a superstar, which turned out to be true, you'd want to give her big minutes behind Brunson & Fowles in a condensed season, to avoid fatigue/injury for Brunson, or so can survive injury to Brunson, or at least, not trade her for nothing, since it was obvious to me the Seattle Storm were probably going to probably win the title this year and become a potential dynasty once they got one of the best players in the WNBA to pair alongside Breanna Stewart & Sue Bird, and by asking for nothing in return (when an MVP-caliber superstar should be worth at least the #5 pick), the Storm were able to get their PG in the future in Jordin Canada. That's why Reeve is the official architect of the Seattle Storm Dynasty, since I thought she's supposed to know more about basketball than me, so she clearly had to have wanted the Storm to win at least 5 or 6 titles, if not more, and the Lynx to never win again. Or Reeve probably wanted to protect the legacy of her vet star players by wanting to make sure they don't win any titles with the help of any players under the age of 28 years old (which explains why she had Plenette Pierson signed the year before, so she wouldn't have to risk superstar Howard helping the Lynx win instead), which is why she had to make sure the Lynx had no other superstar PFs on their team after Brunson, because she didn't want the Lynx to be able to win once Brunson inevitably gets injured/worn out.

Quote:
Ideally, don’t trade anything and pick up a difference-making free agent for free (outside the salary). It’s hard to do, but that’s a successful GM’s job.

Draft top post player at #6, guard in 2nd round, try to sign a not-washed-up guard in Free Agency, and team is set. The DREAM TEAM can win with McGee-Stafford & Billings off the bench, so the Lynx can win with #6 pick and Fagbenle off the bench, and not some boring old vet post. Smile (EDIT: unless there is a post out there that isn't old & boring, then sign whoever, doesn't have to be a guard, but I don't want an excuse to never play what I want at #6 pick and/or Fagbenle)

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, Kalani Brown sure didn't look like a #1 pick today. I was surprised at how ineffectual she looked. I've always thought she was better than McCowan. Now I'm not sure what to think. Still not sold on McCowan. Could Vegas go with a small/or SF instead?

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/16/18 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, Kalani Brown sure didn't look like a #1 pick today. I was surprised at how ineffectual she looked. I've always thought she was better than McCowan. Now I'm not sure what to think. Still not sold on McCowan. Could Vegas go with a small/or SF instead?

Every time I see Brown she seems to spend a lot of minutes on the bench because she's in foul trouble or the coach doesn't like her defense or Mulkey doesn't like her effort. And yes, Brown doesn't look as skilled as advertised. Nor is she aggressive or active --- rarely anyway. It will be interesting to see how far Brown drops if this continues. Boyette went #10 and Russell #22.

Honestly, no one I've seen so far this season has really impressed me except maybe Gustafson. Amazing footwork and technique down low, but still only 6-3 without elite athleticism or superior strength. She'll probably have to move from center to power forward on defense. Then you have to pair her with someone who can do the reverse switch.

PostPosted: 12/16/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The Boneyard consensus choice for the 1st pick is Katie Lou.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/17/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzSVD3jX03Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 12/17/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25554999/espnw-basketball-player-week-stanford-alanna-smith

Quote:
Smith, a 6-foot-4 Australian, made 7 of 12 shots and is shooting 57.8 percent from the field this season, including 50 percent from 3-point range (21 of 42). She is averaging 18.5 points and 6.4 rebounds. Games like Saturday's make her WNBA stock continue to rise.

Quote:
Also nominated: Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M; Ciarra Duffey, South Dakota; Megan Gustafson, Iowa; Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, South Carolina

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/17/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/17/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sticking with what I said about Smith before the FIBA World Cup:

root_thing wrote:
Alanna Smith is a very interesting player. She has pretty good mobility and athleticism for someone 6-4. Alanna looks like a star at times -- scoring inside, shooting 3s, blocking shots -- but she gets into foul trouble and is a bit up and down. Smith is on the cusp of being a serious prospect, but we need to see Alanna improve her consistency this year.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1543498&highlight=#1543498

So far, so good, but she needs to keep it up through conference play and the tournaments. This is a good start.

PostPosted: 12/17/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She kinda reminds me of Lynx draftee Jill Barta. Reeve tried her out as a stretch 4. She didn’t make the cut. Both Smith and Barta are a little daintier than what Reeve is used to at the 4. But Smith should be worth a shot in the second round for some team... maybe as a SF if her three point shot can stretch out to WNBA length. Is she an actual 6’4 or closer to 6’2?

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/17/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Smith is tougher and better defensively than Barta. As for height, yeah she used to be listed at 6-3 and 6-2 in prior years. Height inflation is more likely than actual growth, but sometimes there is also listing lag. We've got lots of height police on this board. Someone will chime in.

PostPosted: 12/17/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Amber Smith considered by any to be a prospect?
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/17/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I think Smith is tougher and better defensively than Barta. As for height, yeah she used to be listed at 6-3 and 6-2 in prior years. Height inflation is more likely than actual growth, but sometimes there is also listing lag. We've got lots of height police on this board. Someone will chime in.

I have the impression she's a legit 6-3 at least, but haven't really paid close attention. She looks taller to me than Fingall, Dodson, and Jerome and they're all listed at 6-3. And she looks shorter than Coffee who is listed at 6-5...so at least they've got them relatively in order. I think Jerome is probably the shortest of the group. And Dodson can jump the highest.

To me, Alanna is probably not a first round pick, but could legitimately be in the second round, and could possibly make a team if she lands in the right place. She has a lot of all-around skill but not one thing that truly stands out.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/18/18 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just trying to come up with a crazy trade or two how about

#1 and Jefferson for N. Ogwumike

LV goes win now with complimentary position-less front court, and gets bigger by sliding Young and Nared to the back Sg spot and Coffey and Hamby to the SF spot. LA revamps with Parker at the 4 and bigger bigs so Parker doesn't have to bang and can keep her offense started on the perimeter, also frees up cap to pay everyone else

LA
Gray/Jefferson
Sims/Williams
Beard/Carson/Weise or Samuelson
Parker/Lavender
#1 McCowan/Vadeeva

and best available at #7 Ogunbowale, Cunningham, Anigwe, Turner, Sheppard

LV
Plum/L. Allen
McBride/Nared
Young/Hamby/Coffey
Wilson/Harrison
N. Ogwumike/Swords/Park

Last edited by J-Spoon on 12/18/18 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/18/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How interested would Conn be in KLS?

How about #2 and Stokes for J. Jones?

NY gets a legit center with probably more upside than either of the draft bigs and Stokes combined, Conn gets a very good fit with Miller's offense at the 3 with hometown appeal and a back up post again with Conn connections

NY
Boyd/Hartley
Prince/Rodgers
Nurse/Zelous
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
J. Jones/Zahui B.

Best available at #14 (Gustafson, Anigwe, Cunningham, Mar Moore, Howard, Mabrey, Kea, Bell, Calhoun, Martin, Blockton, etc) and FA or waiver wire or camp invite. I would be willing to give Burdick or Bulgak another chance or see if KCK wants the vet off the bench spot that Coleman had last year.

Conn
J. Thomas/Banham/Brown
Williams/Stricklen
KLS/Laney
A. Thomas/Tuck
C. Ogwumike/Stokes/B. Jones

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=25565712&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=25558019&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/18/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
How interested would Conn be in KLS?

How about #2 and Stokes for J. Jones?

NY gets a legit center with probably more upside than either of the draft bigs and Stokes combined, Conn gets a very good fit with Miller's offense at the 3 with hometown appeal and a back up post again with Conn connections

Conn
J. Thomas/Banham/Brown
Williams/Stricklen
KLS/Laney
A. Thomas/Tuck
C. Ogwumike/Stokes/B. Jones

Completely disagree with this trade idea.

One of the reasons that the Connecticut offense under Miller works is that there is shooting from four spots on the floor. With Chiney Ogwumike and Alyssa Thomas on the floor, there can only be three-point shooting from three spots. And Thomas is needed as a secondary playmaker, something lacking in the eight games in which she was injured.

In her 20.5 mpg in 2018, Jonquel Jones had the following advanced statistics:
Off Rtg: 106.6
Def Rtg: 94.9
favoring
NET: +11.7

Chiney Ogwumike's defensive rating was 102.6, second worst on the team.

Also, given Ogwumike's injury history -- missing two out of her five WNBA seasons -- why would CT make a trade of its best young asset while favoring a starting lineup with an oft-injured player (albeit a very talented one), who does not have the diverse skillset that Jones has?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m in favor of the Lynx trading for Chiney if Chiney is enthusiastic about it.

#6 + #20 + Alexis Jones for Chiney + Banham

Shades

PostPosted: 12/20/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I’d take this to the proper location.

toad455 wrote:
I've never been high on McCowan.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Who are you high on?

toad455 wrote:
She gets most of her points off of rebounds.

Is that a bad thing if it were true? It must mean she gets a ton of offensive rebounds, which is a key in winning games.

toad455 wrote:
Not aggressive enough inside

That can be an issue with a lot of bigs. I think she can learn to play a little more angrier. If you watched the Oregon game, I think Michael Price got into her head because he was calling an offensive foul on her nearly every time he had an opportunity. To him, McCowan was TOO aggressive.

toad455 wrote:
the game against Oregon shows she has stamina issues.

In the game against Louisville in the last Final Four she played 45 min. That means she wasn’t subbed out in the whole OT game. Not too many players her size can do that. Therefore, stamina not a big issue for her. In the Oregon game, she did seem to lack some energy, but maybe she wasn’t feeling well? Maybe the awful defense Schaefer had her running wore her out a bit? I wouldn’t be too quick to jump to conclusions over one game. Notice how I didn’t beat up Brown over her bad game against Stanford?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/20/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point the 2 Premier bigs in this draft are playing like they don't want to be in the lottery. Ionescu is the clear cut #1 pick whenever she decides to go.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 19 of 74

Jump to: