RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 11/21/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also don't see Han Xu showing up until after the 2020 Olympics. So I don't see her as a first rounder. Magbegor is likely to show up next season unless she's injured.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/21/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does the list change with Ionescu and the others who might declare early?

PostPosted: 11/21/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
How does the list change with Ionescu and the others who might declare early?

I like it better this way. Assume a player isn’t declaring until she does. Makes sense to me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/21/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
How does the list change with Ionescu

Everyone moves down a spot.

PostPosted: 11/21/18 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Laimbeer does take her, he’d probably trade her. I can’t really see him wanting to start over with a new PG when he’s invested a year into Plum and Jefferson. This is a player that couldn’t make it onto Team USA, so I can’t see her making an instant impact in the WNBA at the toughest position. Diggins couldn’t do it. Sloot couldn’t do it. They both needed work their butts off with trainers to get to the level they needed to. If Laimbeer has patience, maybe Ionescu would be the best choice, but I’m not sure that’s his virtue. I think he not only wants to make the playoffs next year, he wants to make some noise. So he can’t really afford to mess this up if that’s his goal.

Last year there were people who were saying Laimbeer wasn’t interested in Wilson, and I was like “No, he can’t mess this up.” Now he needs to not mess it up again this year.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/21/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Ionescu:

1. Las Vegas - S. Ionescu
2. New York - A. Durr
3. Indiana - T. McCowan
4. Chicago - N. Collier
5. Dallas - K. Brown
6. Minnesota - K. Samuelson
7. Los Angeles - A. Ogunbowale
8. Phoenix - E. Magbegor
9. Connecticut - B. Turner
10. Washington - K. Anigwe
11. Atlanta - P. Kea
12. Seattle - M. Gustafson

Randy

PostPosted: 11/21/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I don’t consider her a real 5. Those are gone in the first three picks.

Who are you seeing on this list that you haven’t seen mentioned before?

On Shepard - probably, but might be more of a real 5 than aka Pringle. But then Pringle is more like the new prototype Superstar 5 Natasha Howard. Then again, I'm not even sure Shepard will end up being a WNBA player for more than a year or two.

I've seen all the names before along with others but, for example, was Han someone for the late first round or mid second? (Not that could watch her anyway,) Same question for Enigma. So now I might watch her instead of some other random player that's not on the list. (And, thanks to awhom I can at least check Han's box score.)

Last edited by Randy on 11/21/18 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 11/21/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If Laimbeer does take her, he’d probably trade her. I can’t really see him wanting to start over with a new PG when he’s invested a year into Plum and Jefferson. This is a player that couldn’t make it onto Team USA, so I can’t see her making an instant impact in the WNBA at the toughest position. Diggins couldn’t do it. Sloot couldn’t do it. They both needed work their butts off with trainers to get to the level they needed to. If Laimbeer has patience, maybe Ionescu would be the best choice, but I’m not sure that’s his virtue. I think he not only wants to make the playoffs next year, he wants to make some noise. So he can’t really afford to mess this up if that’s his goal.

Last year there were people who were saying Laimbeer wasn’t interested in Wilson, and I was like “No, he can’t mess this up.” Now he needs to not mess it up again this year.

Diggins would have been on the 2018 team if she wasn't pregnant. Sloot made a decision knowing a spot wasn't opening until possibly 2018. Bird & Whalen had the PGs spots locked up since 2010.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/21/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What’s your win now move for Washington? Anybody they pick will be a deep bench and probably not too much of a factor. I’d gripe more if they took later round talent like CON did in this exercise.

If Shepard is available at #10, I suppose she (or Turner for that matter) could be a younger cheaper replacement for Hawkins. Either could reach Hawkins’ level reasonably quickly. I can’t see Thibault grabbing a guard at this point and passing on these posts. Maybe he’ll be in a position to trade the pick, like I said above.

A point guard like Kea or Bell would make some sense. Toliver turns 32 in January. She just got a job working for the Washington Wizards which likely pays more than she makes as a WNBA player. Who knows how much longer Kristi will be around? Natasha Cloud had a nice year, but lets see if her improved shooting is real. Also, sometimes Cloud has trouble defending the quicker PGs. At any rate, I see more need on the perimeter than at PF, which is the natural position for both EDD and Meesseman. Monique Currie turns 36 in February and didn't play much. She certainly looks replaceable. Again, when did Magbegor become such a worldbeater? Brondello used her less than Alanna Smith in the FIBA Championships. Ezi didn't even play against Spain in the semi-final. Why not if she's such a superstar? Don't you think Brondello was trying her best to win those games?

PostPosted: 11/21/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diggins would have been on the 2018 team if she wasn't pregnant. Sloot made a decision knowing a spot wasn't opening until possibly 2018. Bird & Whalen had the PGs spots locked up since 2010.

Sorry, the bolded part was about them not making an immediate impact in the WNBA, not about Team USA. But none of them made it onto Team USA, so it was a little unfair to bring that up as a negative.... although in Ionescu’s case, it was one of the easiest teams to make in a while.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/21/18 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don’t consider her a real 5. Those are gone in the first three picks.

Who are you seeing on this list that you haven’t seen mentioned before?

On Shepard - probably, but might be more of a real 5 than aka Pringle. But then Pringle is more like the new prototype Superstar 5 Natasha Howard. Then again, I'm not even sure Shepard will end up being a WNBA player for more than a year or two.

I've seen all the names before along with others but, for example, was Han someone for the late first round or mid second? (Not that could watch her anyway,) Same question for Enigma. So now I might watch her instead of some other random player that's not on the list. (And, thanks to awhom I can at least check Han's box score.)

Based on today, Li played like she was being snubbed, not even making the Others list. Of course the other team did not have a WNBA-caliber center, but they were pretty big numbers.

I am interested in how far Magbegor falls if she misses the rest of the WNBL season and what she plans to do between the WNBL season and the draft.

I don't think that I will be able to do a more comprehensive list of international players for late round consideration this holiday period so hopefully I can do it by the end of the year.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/21/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Magbegor is due back very soon. Possibly even tomorrow night.
(like root_thing, I am observing the hype with interest, wondering what it is based on. In a supposedly strong draft the top 10 seems high to be starting on the "possible diamond in the rough" picks)

PostPosted: 11/21/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Based on today, Li played like she was being snubbed, not even making the Others list. Of course the other team did not have a WNBA-caliber center, but they were pretty big numbers.

I didn’t even realize they listed “others”.
Kenisha Bell , Minnesota
Cierra Dillard , Buffalo
Megan Gustafson , Iowa
Anriel Howard , Mississippi State
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame

It’s a good list of others. It warms my heart that they listed Dillard before Mabrey. Somebody’s paying attention. Now where’s this Han hype coming from? Probably the same people mysteriously proclaiming Vadeeva a lottery pick last year.

awhom111 wrote:

I am interested in how far Magbegor falls if she misses the rest of the WNBL season and what she plans to do between the WNBL season and the draft.

How much time is that?

I can’t see her going below #13 to PHX. If she does, that’s like a double slap in the face from her Opals coach Brondello.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Magbegor. I haven't seen her much, and the little that I saw in the FIBA tournament I actually liked. I'm just pointing out that it would be nice to see her excel against players over 20 if we're going to project her into the 1st Round of what is supposed to be a good draft. Brondello and her coach in the WNBL last season chose to limit Ezi's minutes. That generally signals that a coach doesn't have confidence in the player. It's a serious red flag. But if Magbegor gets healthy and plays well in extended minutes for the rest the season, then she can make all the doubts go away.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Minnesota: Arike Ogunbowale , Notre Dame (Not unless Reeve works magic refortifying the post in free agency. In other words, NO)

For the Lynx, I want Anigwe in the 1st round, then can draft a guard in the 2nd round. Throw max $ at every good FA guard/SF and hope one sticks. That's all I want in order to not be outraged. Smile

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/22/18 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We might not have PP's but the GMs are on to something i must say Cool

PostPosted: 11/22/18 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

To be safe, I decree you as Wings GM and me Lynx GM (I wish that's how it works). Smile

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

All of the 2018 FIBA World Cup games are now archived and available for viewing if you want a peek at some of the foreign players:

http://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2018/videos

The full games are mixed in with highlight reels, so you have a choice with some players if you want to be lazy. Obviously, six games or less against an uneven field of teams is hardly a reliable indicator. However, if you just want to judge size, athleticism, and get a general feel for skill, then at least it's a start.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I watched the China v Australia highlights. Didn't see much of Han, but that Cambage kid looks pretty good. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 11/22/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
What’s your win now move for Washington? Anybody they pick will be a deep bench and probably not too much of a factor. I’d gripe more if they took later round talent like CON did in this exercise.

If Shepard is available at #10, I suppose she (or Turner for that matter) could be a younger cheaper replacement for Hawkins. Either could reach Hawkins’ level reasonably quickly. I can’t see Thibault grabbing a guard at this point and passing on these posts. Maybe he’ll be in a position to trade the pick, like I said above.

A point guard like Kea or Bell would make some sense. Toliver turns 32 in January. She just got a job working for the Washington Wizards which likely pays more than she makes as a WNBA player. Who knows how much longer Kristi will be around? Natasha Cloud had a nice year, but lets see if her improved shooting is real. Also, sometimes Cloud has trouble defending the quicker PGs. At any rate, I see more need on the perimeter than at PF, which is the natural position for both EDD and Meesseman. Monique Currie turns 36 in February and didn't play much. She certainly looks replaceable. Again, when did Magbegor become such a worldbeater? Brondello used her less than Alanna Smith in the FIBA Championships. Ezi didn't even play against Spain in the semi-final. Why not if she's such a superstar? Don't you think Brondello was trying her best to win those games?

Your beef was Magbegor isn’t a win now move, but you didn’t come up with a win now move for WAS way down at #10 because there are none. I don’t know a ton about Kea, so you must have her as an under the radar superstar that will help them over the hump and win a championship. She didn’t even make the GM’s “other” list, so I’m really skeptical here. What is it about Kea?

I do know a ton about Bell, and she’s definitely a long term project. Take three years and she still may not be there. Even as a 5th year senior, I don’t see her as somebody who is terribly reliable or stable for the Gophers. I can’t see her current style working at the WNBA level. She’ll have to be more of facilitator than a scorer, and that’s going to take some work. It wouldn’t surprise me though if Thibault is checking her out. He’s always sniffing around the Gophers.

You make some good points that maybe guard is more a concern in their future, but I don’t think reaching for second round guard talent in the first round is a win now move either. So then we revisit the idea of trading the pick. Maybe Minnesota would be willing to trade up for #10. Reeve was saying she’d move AJones if they hired over her again this year. I gotta believe AJones with two years experience has more value in a win now system than Kea. Or how about Thibault drafts Magbegor and gets PHX to trade Turner for her? Now THAT’s a win now move. I believe Turner is a combo guard that can help a team get over the hump.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/18 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing is a sure "win now" move. But some players are more likely to help you sooner than others. Yes, my point is that Washington needs help more on the perimeter than at PF. As for "second round guard talent", that's subjective. One can also make an argument that Magbegor is second round PF talent. The fact that Kea wasn't mentioned isn't necessarily significant. You switch back and forth between using this survey to back your position when it agrees with your opinion (McCowan) and dismissing it as unreliable when it doesn't (Han). In the end, we don't know how many people make up this "panel" or how much effort they put into the response. Survey or no survey, a project PF doesn't make sense for a finals team that is already deep at post -- especially when their two best players are PFs in the prime of their careers.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thy Mystics also might have to give up on TRP because things are getting expensive if everyone else shows up and sticks around (Cloud, Sanders, Toliver). The most likely needs in the draft seem like a) someone who can run the offense besides Cloud or Toliver (because they were using people who were totally unsuitable for that last year), or b) a version of TRP/Currie that ideally can actually shoot. With EDD, Meesseman, Sanders, Hawkins and Hines-Allen already around, Thibault would have to think a post was easily the best-available to take her over a perimeter player. She might struggle to make the roster.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

To be safe, I decree you as Wings GM and me Lynx GM (I wish that's how it works). Smile

+1 My Friend +1 Cool

PostPosted: 11/22/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Kea would be a nice 2nd rd choice. Her height worries me but her skill is the real deal. She can score against anyone any size.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I didn’t even realize they listed “others”.
Kenisha Bell , Minnesota
Cierra Dillard , Buffalo
Megan Gustafson , Iowa
Anriel Howard , Mississippi State
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame

It’s a good list of others. It warms my heart that they listed Dillard before Mabrey. Somebody’s paying attention. Now where’s this Han hype coming from? Probably the same people mysteriously proclaiming Vadeeva a lottery pick last year.

awhom111 wrote:

How much time is that?

I can’t see her going below #13 to PHX. If she does, that’s like a double slap in the face from her Opals coach Brondello.

Playoffs would end in early to mid February.

Luuuc wrote:
Magbegor is due back very soon. Possibly even tomorrow night.
(like root_thing, I am observing the hype with interest, wondering what it is based on. In a supposedly strong draft the top 10 seems high to be starting on the "possible diamond in the rough" picks)

Do you know if she's going to be limited or have a cast on or anything like that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 17 of 74

Jump to: