RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/02/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't really see KLS as the top pick this year ... in a lot of years, she'd have a chance, but there are too many options available, including two other wings that bring slightly different things to the table.

My impression of KLS is that you're getting a lesser version of EDD -- not as tall, not as strong, not as versatile, but still pretty good. Unlike EDD, though, I feel KLS has to play the three at the pro level and it's unclear how she will fit. I think she'll be fine, but I doubt that she'll be an elite player in the WNBA. Could happen, as could a flameout, but my sense is she'll be a solid starter who's a good complementary player because of her height and range.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Right now, KLS (Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn) is the number one pick and will be the 2019 Rookie of the Year, unless she gets hurt.

You don't have to have a giant in the post to win, especially if she is slow or clumsy. And, 2-guards can win games but won't/can't carry a team.

Write it down!

LouConn might not even be the best player on her team this year, I just don’t see number 1 pick when I watch her play. Brown is a real stud and a consistent All American, she’s also really slim and fit looking this year, I dislike most things Baylor, but Brown should go number 1 and would fit in nice next to Wilson.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/02/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the fact that there is no consensus #1 pick.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Which is why I found it amusing all the outrage of levels normally reserved by me on social media by some fans over the lottery results, as if this is a draft with a for-sure franchise changer at top (Stewart, Wilson) and then ?'s afterwards, though I suppose things can change.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Which is why I found it amusing all the outrage of levels normally reserved by me on social media by some fans over the lottery results, as if this is a draft with a for-sure franchise changer at top (Stewart, Wilson) and then ?'s afterwards, though I suppose things can change.

Exactly , picks 1-6 could all end up ROY so not sure why Indy or NY fans felt like it was not fair blah blah. Im excited for pick #5 as if its a PP So you know folks is trippin in real life Laughing

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Note that this is usually indicative of a weak draft

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Note that this is usually indicative of a weak draft

Yes that was my 1st thought thinking 2015 or Lindsay hardings draft but then you look at 2019 possible 1st rd and say its not weak its that everyone is just "That damn good" instead. Im excited for this new wave to enter!

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It sucks because clearly Indiana is the worst team in the league and they desperately need a post player to build around. If they were top 2 they'd be guaranteed to get one. Now they're in a very awkward position because if Brown and McCowan go 1 and 2 they're screwed. Durr and KLS play positions that Fever already seem to have covered in last year's draft with Mitchell and Vivians.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It sucks because clearly Indiana is the worst team in the league and they desperately need a post player to build around. If they were top 2 they'd be guaranteed to get one. Now they're in a very awkward position because if Brown and McCowan go 1 and 2 they're screwed. Durr and KLS play positions that Fever already seem to have covered in last year's draft with Mitchell and Vivians.

The lottery is to prevent tanking, and the PP-machine, which knows everything, decided to punish the Fever for blatantly tanking by drafting Kelsey Mitchell over Azura Stevens or Diamond DeShields, and give the top picks to teams that actually tried to win every game this year instead in the Aces and Liberty. Very Happy

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 09/02/18 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

The lottery is to prevent tanking, and the PP-machine, which knows everything, decided to punish the Fever for blatantly tanking by drafting Kelsey Mitchell over Azura Stevens or Diamond DeShields, and give the top picks to teams that actually tried to win every game this year instead in the Aces and Liberty. Very Happy

The Aces forfeited a game. That's not trying hard to win.

PostPosted: 09/02/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Aces forfeited a game. That's not trying hard to win.

I'm half-joking. The PP system may be flawed in that it promotes, if a team dares, tanking out of the last playoff spot into the lottery, versus tanking for the worst record overall.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/03/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier showing off her range at Team USA practice

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1036637101641662464/pu/vid/480x480/15mCrBBfQcTTm6KS.mp4

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1036658912848736256/pu/vid/1280x720/Q_4e94kaLddyStDh.mp4

Now I’m leaning towards Dallas letting Christmas walk as an UFA, and picking up Collier at #5 to backup Thornton(give her a raise instead of keeping Christmas) at SF.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/03/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears that five 2019 draft eligible seniors have been in the 2018 USAB World Cup Team pool: Napheesa Collier, Arika Ogunbowale, Jessica Shepard, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr -- although the last two have chosen not to participate in the current training camp.

No Teaira McCowan or Kalani Brown in the pool. Is it because they are galumphing galoots or because they have no prior USA Basketball history? Both have prior history.

McCowan was on the 2014 U18 team. She was dead last on the team in scoring at 2.6 ppg. The 2019 draft-eligible players ahead of McCowan in scoring, in descending order, were Napheesa Collier, Brianna Turner, Beatrice Mompremier, Jessica Shepard, Destinee Walker, Marina Mabrey, Mariya Moore, Paris Kea and Recee Caldwell -- the first four of whom are post players like McCowan.

McCowan has never been invited to another USAB team trial.

Brown made the 2013 U16 team. She was 6th on the team in scoring at 7.6 ppg, less than her Baylor teammate Lauren Cox, who was 3rd at 11.8 and who also started over and outrebounded Brown. First in scoring was Asia Durr at 18.4, second was Katie Lou Samuelson at 16.0, fourth was Arika Ogunbowale at 10.0, and fifth was De'Janae Boykin -- all 2019 draft eligible. Way behind Brown in 10th place was Sabrina Ionescu at 3.4 ppg.

In the ensuing two summers, Brown tried out for but failed to make the 2014 U17 team and the 2015 U19 team.

In 2017, Brown did make the first U23 team and was 4th in scoring at 9.7 ppg. Ahead of her were draft-eligble Asia Durr in first and Sabrina Ionescu in third, and behind her in 6th was Arika Ogunbowale at 8.3. Mercedes Russell started all three games over Brown at center, got more minutes than Brown, and got more rebounds (but fewer points) than Brown.

In summary, while not dispositive for 2019 draft priority, the five draft-eligible seniors in the 2018 World Cup Team pool have more USAB experience than McCowan and Brown and, on average, have all scored better than McCowan and Brown when they were on the same teams as them.
LibFan25

PostPosted: 09/03/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Collier showing off her range at Team USA practice

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1036637101641662464/pu/vid/480x480/15mCrBBfQcTTm6KS.mp4

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1036658912848736256/pu/vid/1280x720/Q_4e94kaLddyStDh.mp4

Now I’m leaning towards Dallas letting Christmas walk as an UFA, and picking up Collier at #5 to backup Thornton(give her a raise instead of keeping Christmas) at SF.

Ima big fan of her game, I like long length players that can stretch the floor and run down the court in transition. I was high on Nared because of that reason.

Awhile back I said on the Liberty 2018 thread that Collier was seen working out with Kobe Bryant and her daughter, could mean nothing but I'm sure she's learned a lot in that session with a legend like that.

Would Katie and the Liberty take a shot and draft her at 2? I don't know. But they will keep an eye on her and KLS

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/04/18 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Cunningham at 8 to Phoenix way too high?

I'm a huge fan of her game and think she is tough enough to be a diamond in the rough in this league.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/04/18 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

I'm a huge fan of her game and think she is tough enough to be a diamond in the rough in this league.

Megdal went from not recognizing Cunningham in the Top 20 of his draft rankings from April to having her at #5 in his recent mock draft. Apparently he got positive comments about her from talking to some coaches.

I’m pretty sure PHX will take Magbegor at #8 if she’s still available. If Magbegor isn’t available, Cunningham at #8 really wouldn’t be a reach.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/04/18 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the NCAA championship press conference last April, nobody asked McGraw about Teaira McCowan, so she felt compelled to acknowledge her as a parting comment.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-u202hNsaYM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Shades on 09/04/18 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 09/04/18 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan in a postgame interview after a dominating 31-pt/20-reb performance over LSU.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=21995476&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited by Shades on 09/05/18 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
2019 WNBA Mock Draft Big Board: Version 1.0
https://highposthoops.com/2018/08/30/2019-wnba-mock-draft-big-board-version-1-0/

Megdal really changes things up from his original draft ranking in April, not even acknowledging Cunningham or Magbegor in his Top 20 back then to now putting both in the mid-first round. Apparently he needed some help figuring that out. Wink

His reasoning for putting KLS #1 is because LVA is in last place for three point shots taken. But what Megdal fails to realize is they are in last place because that’s the style Laimbeer wants to play. Plum would take a three point shot every trip down the floor (think Skylar Diggins) if Laimbeer would let her, but he wants to play in the paint, get the ball to his main man Wilson and draw fouls. McBride isn’t exactly a stranger to three point shooting either. And what does Laimbeer value more than three point shooting? Defense. So is a poor defender going to take over Tamera Young’s job? That would be interesting to see. I suppose KLS would be a huge upgrade to Nared as an offensive spark off the bench, but you don’t spend #1 on that role. If you look at Megdal’s positive points for McCowan, that’s what Laimbeer likes in the position be needs the most.

I’m not sure why Agler would want another young international post after just drafting one this season. I think he’ll mix things up this time. But maybe he’ll feel an obligation to keep Magbegor away from PHX. Thanks, Aggie.

I see no similarities between Collier and Alyssa Thomas. Has anybody ever seen Collier take a defensive rebound and charge down the length of the court? That’s Thomas’ trademark.

Agree about Collier/Alyssa Thomas. Thomas is a playmaking power forward, who can also power to the hoop. Collier is a forward with range on her shot who can pass (in UConn's system), but is not a primary facilitator the way A.Thomas is/can be.

Megdal also has Phoenix taking Jessica Shepherd in the first round, noting:

My favorite thing Jessica Shepard does on the court, and there are many, is throw outlet passes. Sandy Brondello loves to run, and Shepard’s going to get her several transition buckets a game with those passes, which, if you’ll forgive the female-to-male crossover, I’ve seen twice before: from Kevin Love when he was at UCLA, and in old clips of Wes Unseld.

Shepherd is not in the same stratosphere when it comes to outside shooting as Kevin Love, nor is she a particularly good free throw shoter.

What made Dupree fit next to Griner (and why Lyttle fit and Bonner fits) is the ability to step out to midrange and beyond and hit consistent shots from 12 feet to the arc. Shepherd has not shown the ability to do that on a consistent basis, nor is she mobile enough to defend power forwards right now.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/04/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Megdal went from not recognizing Cunningham in the Top 20 of his draft rankings from April to having her at #5 in his recent mock draft. Apparently he got positive comments about her from talking to some coaches.

I’m pretty sure PHX will take Magbegor at #8 if she’s still available. If Magbegor isn’t available, Cunningham at #8 really wouldn’t be a reach.

It’s good to know that I wasn’t too far off. I like magbegor and would be fine with that selection.

My big push for Cunningham is that Taurasi’s calendar is limited at this point and Phoenix has zero young assets in either guard position unless you count Talbot as a guard which I don’t. Sophie and Diana play with the same swagger and playing under her for two or three seasons could do wonders.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/04/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Megdal also has Phoenix taking Jessica Shepherd in the first round, noting:

My favorite thing Jessica Shepard does on the court, and there are many, is throw outlet passes. Sandy Brondello loves to run, and Shepard’s going to get her several transition buckets a game with those passes, which, if you’ll forgive the female-to-male crossover, I’ve seen twice before: from Kevin Love when he was at UCLA, and in old clips of Wes Unseld.

Shepherd is not in the same stratosphere when it comes to outside shooting as Kevin Love, nor is she a particularly good free throw shoter.

What made Dupree fit next to Griner (and why Lyttle fit and Bonner fits) is the ability to step out to midrange and beyond and hit consistent shots from 12 feet to the arc. Shepherd has not shown the ability to do that on a consistent basis, nor is she mobile enough to defend power forwards right now.

Not much point drafting Shepard unless you think she can play alongside Griner (or Griner's retiring or taking a year off sometime soon). They already took that player last year with Gulich.

PostPosted: 09/04/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It appears that five 2019 draft eligible seniors have been in the 2018 USAB World Cup Team pool: Napheesa Collier, Arika Ogunbowale, Jessica Shepard, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr -- although the last two have chosen not to participate in the current training camp.

No Teaira McCowan or Kalani Brown in the pool. Is it because they are galumphing galoots or because they have no prior USA Basketball history? Both have prior history.

McCowan was on the 2014 U18 team. She was dead last on the team in scoring at 2.6 ppg. The 2019 draft-eligible players ahead of McCowan in scoring, in descending order, were Napheesa Collier, Brianna Turner, Beatrice Mompremier, Jessica Shepard, Destinee Walker, Marina Mabrey, Mariya Moore, Paris Kea and Recee Caldwell -- the first four of whom are post players like McCowan.

Brown made the 2013 U16 team. She was 6th on the team in scoring at 7.6 ppg, less than her Baylor teammate Lauren Cox, who was 3rd at 11.8 and who also started over and outrebounded Brown. First in scoring was Asia Durr at 18.4, second was Katie Lou Samuelson at 16.0, fourth was Arika Ogunbowale at 10.0, and fifth was De'Janae Boykin -- all 2019 draft eligible. Way behind Brown in 10th place was Sabrina Ionescu at 3.4 ppg.

In the ensuing two summers, Brown tried out for but failed to make the 2014 U17 team and the 2015 U19 team.

In 2017, Brown did make the first U23 team and was 4th in scoring at 9.7 ppg. Ahead of her were draft-eligble Asia Durr in first and Sabrina Ionescu in third, and behind her in 6th was Arika Ogunbowale at 8.3. Mercedes Russell started all three games over Brown at center, got more minutes than Brown, and got more rebounds (but fewer points) than Brown.

In summary, while not dispositive for 2019 draft priority, the five draft-eligible seniors in the 2018 World Cup Team pool have more USAB experience than McCowan and Brown and, on average, have all scored better than McCowan and Brown when they were on the same teams as them.

To say that an injured player has "chosen not to attend" is a bit misleading and just very Glen. Lou clearly is still out rehabbing her ankle

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

To say that an injured player has "chosen not to attend" is a bit misleading and just very Glen. Lou clearly is still out rehabbing her ankle

She was partying it up all summer on malibu back home though Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/18 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

No, it's not too high IMO. Any team would love to have her.

And Megdal has been in love with Shepard since her freshman season in the B1G. Who is she going to defend in the WNBA?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
mercfan wrote:

It’s good to know that I wasn’t too far off. I like magbegor and would be fine with that selection.

My big push for Cunningham is that Taurasi’s calendar is limited at this point and Phoenix has zero young assets in either guard position unless you count Talbot as a guard which I don’t. Sophie and Diana play with the same swagger and playing under her for two or three seasons could do wonders.

“Swagger” is right. She earned my guaranteed WNBA player designation back in January. My only concern with her is she plays so hard that it’s kind of tough on her body. Can she stay healthy? She plays through injury quite a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 9 of 74

Jump to: