Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/14/19 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Successful coaches, like leopards, do not change their spots. i already mentioned Mr. Bill dumping Ivory Latta (the more I think about it, she is pretty much the same player as Plum). Consider some of the guards he has used, and sought after....Shannon Johnson, Kedra Holland-Corn, Brittany Boyd, Tanisha Wright, Elaine Powell, Hornbuckle etc. Remember also that in 2013 he inherited Leilani Mitchell (just like Plum) on the Liberty roster, after that year she was gone. I just do not see how Plum or Sabrina fit his inclinations; forget pretty offense, the man wants defense and toughness in his guards.

He never played Mitchell. Same for Latta, she got seven minutes/game in her one Detroit season. Plum started for the Aces last season. A switch might be believable if there was a better alternative on the roster. He's not going to trade Plum so that he can play an even smaller guard who's not as good, like Jefferson or Allen, or a scrub, like Chong.

My point was that both Mitchell and Latta went on to good WNBA careers, but Lambeer had no interest (he did play Mitchell 18 mpg BTW). Plum, inherited from the previous regime, was a shotgun marriage. Jefferson was still recovering from major knee surgery; the Vegas pg cupboard was so bare he signed Lindsay Allen (another shaky offensive player, who can defend....there is a pattern here). I would also add that, before her injury, Jefferson was a far superior option than Plum; with another year to recover, do not be surprised if she regains her major role for this franchise. Please note that this is not a knock on Plum; based on his history, it is not clear to me that Lambeer would be all in even with Sloot as his pg....Remember, besides coaching, the guy's NBA pedigree is from the Bad Boy Pistons...pretty offensive players need not apply.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I would also add that, before her injury, Jefferson was a far superior option than Plum.

Laughing

PostPosted: 03/14/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chinese center Han Xu to attend 2019 WNBA Draft

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414e31557a4d33457a6333566d54/index.html#

Quote:
Han may not be the only Chinese player who will attend the 2019 WNBA Draft. Yang Liwei and Li Yueru from the Guangdong Vermilion Birds also had the intention to try their chances in the WNBA

PostPosted: 03/14/19 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
I would also add that, before her injury, Jefferson was a far superior option than Plum.

Laughing

In 2016, her only healthy year, Jefferson scored more, was a much better defender, and her speed dominated on occasion.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

In 2016, her only healthy year, Jefferson scored more, was a much better defender, and her speed dominated on occasion.

Laimbeer probably isn’t as swayed by play before he arrived. He didn’t coach Jefferson back then. It sounds to me he really likes Plum because he got her to play the way he wants. Is he getting the same from Jefferson? I dunno. What he’s seen from Jefferson is that she has a hard time staying healthy. I know he’s in Vegas, but should Laimbeer roll the dice with the player that couldn’t stay healthy or with the one he has spoken of highly? You don’t like Plum. You’re alone on an island not liking Wilson. Something tells me you weren’t all that engaged with the WNBA in 2018. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Jefferson' defense has been awful throughout her W career. She's too small.

Jefferson scored more because she shot more. Plum works the offense better instead of just jacking up shots. That's why Plum had an ATO of nearly 4:1 last year, far better than Jefferson has ever managed.

Jefferson never dominated anything. It's no coincidence that the team's record was dramatically better when Plum played. In 2017 the SAS were 6-3 when Plum played 30+ minutes, 2-23 when she didn't.

Don't know what this fixation some people have on saying Plum sucks, but she's miles better than Jefferson.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Han may not be the only Chinese player who will attend the 2019 WNBA Draft. Yang Liwei and Li Yueru from the Guangdong Vermilion Birds also had the intention to try their chances in the WNBA

I wonder if something got lost in translation, or did the league really invite her for the whole draft invite process a month ahead of time... like it kinda sounds like here? If she never got an invite, maybe she’s determined to invite herself. Surprised If there’s only 10 players invited like last year, some deserving player is going to be cheated out of the experience if Han is really invited. I think something may have gotten lost in translation.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She could just be a gate crasher if she only knew the secret location where the draft is being held.

canadaball

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Jefferson' defense has been awful throughout her W career. She's too small.

Jefferson scored more because she shot more. Plum works the offense better instead of just jacking up shots. That's why Plum had an ATO of nearly 4:1 last year, far better than Jefferson has ever managed.

Jefferson never dominated anything. It's no coincidence that the team's record was dramatically better when Plum played. In 2017 the SAS were 6-3 when Plum played 30+ minutes, 2-23 when she didn't.

Don't know what this fixation some people have on saying Plum sucks, but she's miles better than Jefferson.

Come on. SA in both 2016 and 2017 was the same bad team,
Jefferson (2016) 13.9 ppg; 42% shooting; 4.2 assists/1.7 to's; 1.6 steals (she ranked 3rd in league just behind Beard and catch, but ahead of Angel)
Plum (2017; the year u chose): 8.5 ppg; 34%; 3.4/2.5 ; 0,5 steals
After her rookie season, Jefferson seemed on the way to stardom; with her major knee injury, she was way off form last year.
Read my posts; I am not saying Plum "sucks'; in fact, I think she = Ivory Latta. I just say she is not a Lambeer-type guard; plus if one were ranking starting WNBA guards, she is right near the bottom. Only Dallas (minus Diggy) might have room to start her.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Read my posts; I am not saying Plum "sucks'; in fact, I think she = Ivory Latta. I just say she is not a Lambeer-type guard; plus if one were ranking starting WNBA guards, she is right near the bottom. Only Dallas (minus Diggy) might have room to start her.

Jefferson is even less of a Laimbeer type guard. He said himself that he likes big guards. Whatever you think of Jefferson, she's not big by any standard.

Plum would surely start over Hartley in New York. Honestly, she's pretty comparable to Renee Montgomery.

If you can't find minutes for a guard with .600 TS%, you're not much of a coach.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if something got lost in translation, or did the league really invite her for the whole draft invite process a month ahead of time... like it kinda sounds like here? If she never got an invite, maybe she’s determined to invite herself. Surprised If there’s only 10 players invited like last year, some deserving player is going to be cheated out of the experience if Han is really invited. I think something may have gotten lost in translation.

considering the depth of this draft, I really hope more than 10 players get invited, especially if Ionescu and/or Jackie Young enter.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 03/14/19 5:58 pm    ::: Re: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2019-03/13/content_74566510.htm

Quote:
Chinese center Han Xu has arrived in Los Angeles, the United States, waiting for next month's WNBA draft and for her dream to possibly come true.
The young pivot, who will turn 19 on October 31, will start recovering training at PickUp USA Fitness on Wednesday after a week of rest and take physical examinations in LA. Han, who led the Chinese team to take Asian Games title and finish 6th at the World Cup last year, might be joined by her national teammates such as Li Meng, Yang Liwei and Li Yueru at the 2019 WNBA Draft.

First time we're hearing about these two. What are their chances of getting drafted?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/14/19 7:16 pm    ::: Re: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:
Chinese center Han Xu has arrived in Los Angeles, the United States, waiting for next month's WNBA draft and for her dream to possibly come true.
The young pivot, who will turn 19 on October 31, will start recovering training at PickUp USA Fitness on Wednesday after a week of rest and take physical examinations in LA. Han, who led the Chinese team to take Asian Games title and finish 6th at the World Cup last year, might be joined by her national teammates such as Li Meng, Yang Liwei and Li Yueru at the 2019 WNBA Draft.

First time we're hearing about these two. What are their chances of getting drafted?

li meng got some air time earlier in the year. I haven't seen any of them so have no opinion...but it's all good.

- Amanda Gorman
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/14/19 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Jefferson is even less of a Laimbeer type guard. He said himself that he likes big guards. Whatever you think of Jefferson, she's not big by any standard.

Plum would surely start over Hartley in New York. Honestly, she's pretty comparable to Renee Montgomery.

If you can't find minutes for a guard with .600 TS%, you're not much of a coach.

Hartley, playing 23 mpg, shared starting duties (20 of 34 games) with Boyd for a messed up NY backcourt (Prince missed almost the whole season), so you are correct. Montgomery's resume; however, is stronger than Plum. No way Atlanta would trade them even up.
Who knows with Mr. Bill? Should the Cam dealings fail, I could see him going with Durr (much more in the mold of his Detroit guards), and deemphasizing both Jeff, who, after all, does have to resurrect her rookie form, and Plum. Most importantly, given his lifetime coaching/GM history, I would be very surprised if he stands pat with a sub .500 Vegas roster.

Last edited by canadaball on 03/14/19 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/14/19 7:27 pm    ::: Re: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:

They're both 24 and completely ineligible... so maybe 5% or so.

PostPosted: 03/14/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

considering the depth of this draft, I really hope more than 10 players get invited, especially if Ionescu and/or Jackie Young enter.

There was decent depth last year, but they still went with 10.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Plum is in a different universe as a shooter, on a team that severely lacks them.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Plum is in a different universe as a shooter, on a team that severely lacks them.

She also has a shaky handle, and can’t defend a chair. But I guess that’s not important.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 03/15/19 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

She also has a shaky handle, and can’t defend a chair. But I guess that’s not important.

Most starting point guards in the league are at best bad defenders.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/15/19 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Point is, she’s not that great. Never understood the infatuation for her. But, I’d imagine anyone would have a career year if they were at the bottom of the scouting report.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 03/15/19 2:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Point is, she’s not that great. Never understood the infatuation for her. But, I’d imagine anyone would have a career year if they were at the bottom of the scouting report.

Nobody is calling her great. She was a weak #1 in a weak draft. But she's a good player, better than many give her credit for.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

A shaky handle? Her TO rate was lower than Jefferson. Her TO rate was lower than Jasmine Thomas, or Chelsea Gray, or Sue Bird, or any other PG in the league.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

Not in her universe.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/15/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a huge Plum fan, but I will say this: She has gotten better, and worked on her game.

Defense, especially, is something that can develop over time as players understand the game and the league better. Of course, there have to be some physical attributes, but Plum is a decent athlete (is that OK to say, nixtree? Don't want to offend) and a very smart player (could be a nixtree issue here as well), so I would expect defensive improvement.

As always, one of the most difficult things about projecting talent is guessing when a player will stop improving. A player like Allie Quigley has gotten better every year, it seems; other players peak as college sophomores, and as far as I know, there's no metric that can help determine when improvement for a particular player is no longer likely.

It appears to me, for no really good reason, that Plum will get marginally better each year and have a solid career as a mid-level point guard in the WNBA, and on the right team, could start for a team that goes deep into the playoffs.

PostPosted: 03/15/19 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:

Laughing

A shaky handle? Her TO rate was lower than Jefferson. Her TO rate was lower than Jasmine Thomas, or Chelsea Gray, or Sue Bird, or any other PG in the league.

And? Apply ball pressure on her and it’s a turnover. She also wasn’t the sole ball distributer, like many of those point guards you listed are. Plum only had 15 more assists than McBride did last season, so clearly she wasn’t the primary play maker either. I’d hope your turnovers are low if you’re sharing distributing duties. Quit cherry picking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 53 of 74

Jump to: