2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu is the #1 pick.
Young is a top 8 pick.
Martin might be a first round pick.
Mompremier is a early-mid second round pick.
Mangakahia is a second round pick and a top 3 PG in this draft.
Hristova & Robertson might be third round picks.
Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal’s V4.0 of his mock draft
Check out his analysis at the link. He uses a separate page for each first round pick.
https://highposthoops.com/2019/02/07/wnba-mock-draft-big-board-ogunbowale-mccowan-durr/14/

1. Las Vegas Aces: Asia Durr
2. New York Liberty: Arike Ogunbowale
3. Indiana Fever: Teaira McCowan
4. Chicago Sky: Katie Lou Samuelson
5. Dallas Wings: Kalani Brown
Quote:
Brown is a franchise center the Wings would be getting at five here
Other teams before #5 don’t need a franchise center?
6. Minnesota Lynx: Alanna Smith - I like her but I’m not feeling her at #6
7. Los Angeles Sparks: Napheesa Collier
Quote:
The Sparks need a replacement, and they need an answer for Carson should the two meet up in the playoffs.

People are worried about Essence Carson? Weird rationale. They’ll both be coming off the bench.
8. Phoenix Mercury: Kristine Anigwe
Quote:
Front offices are ready to buy on her, as well they should: Lindsay Gottlieb products tend to outperform expectations in the pros (Layshia Clarendon, Brittany Boyd come to mind).

Don’t Forget Reshanda Gray!
9. Connecticut Sun: Ezi Magbegor
If she’s good enough to go at #9, shouldn’t Brondello want her at #8? This could be Megdal messing with Brondello’s head.
10. Washington Mystics: Anriel Howard
11. Atlanta Dream: Sophie Cunningham
Quote:
Cunningham can play anywhere 1-4 on the floor, and that dovetails with the way Collen operates her rotations. She’s been on a tear of late from three.
All good reasons to explain why Reeve scouted her.
12. Seattle Storm: Jessica Shepard

Also in the first-round mix
Brianna Turner, Notre Dame
Marina Mabrey, Notre Dame
Megan Gustafson, Iowa
Kennedy Leonard, Colorado
Megan Huff, Utah

Unless somebody like Thibault is obsessed with Leonard, she shouldn’t be a possibility for the first round. Same with Huff.

Early-entry elites
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon (might come out)
Jackie Young, Notre Dame (might come out)
Tynice Martin, West Virginia (might come out)
Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse (might come out)
Destiny Slocum, Oregon State (might come out)
Borislava Hristova, Washington State (might come out)
Kitija Laksa, South Florida (might come out)

Left off Mompremier, Te’a Cooper, Shae Colley (who just scored over 30 recently). Is Hristova elite? Laksa is a senior, but if you consider not redshirting as an “early entry”, then go ahead.

Some sleepers I’m keeping an eye on
Courtney Zezza, St. Francis PA
Danielle King, Marquette
Miranda Drummond, Syracuse
Ashton Millender, DePaul
Jenna Allen, Michigan State
Laura Ferreira, South Florida
Bridget Carleton, Iowa State
Natasha Hiedeman, Marquette - He still doesn’t know her name
Cierra Dillard, Buffalo - Not understanding why she doesn’t merit “In first round mix”
Hallie Thome, Michigan
Jess Kovatch, St. Francis PA
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Regan Magarity, Virginia Tech
Alexis Jennings, South Carolina - She looked terrible against UConn
Bianca Cuevas-Moore, South Carolina - She looked really good against UConn but she’s tiny
Alicia Froling, SMU
Jordan Moore, TCU
Taylor Murray, Kentucky
Kayla Goth, Kansas State
Maite Cazorla, Oregon
Laia Raventos, UNC Charlotte
Paris Kea, UNC
Bella Alarie, Princeton

No Kenisha Bell anywhere?
How about CRob?
Still doesn’t want to talk about international picks other than Magbegor.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 02/13/19 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Young is a top 8 pick.

Top 6. She’d be the one I’d want after Durr.

toad455 wrote:

Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

She’d be in the first round mix for me.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that players are shooting more 3s, so overall field goal percentages are coming down. While I'm beginning to grudgingly accept 39%-40% shooting at the pro level, I'm still not accepting it at the college level. Tynice Martin is shooting 37.9% FG right now and is under 40% for her career. Yes, she is shooting 38.5% from 3Pt and Martin can occasionally explode for a big game. Fans who don't watch a player day in and day out can be overly impressed by these big games while ignoring the bad ones. That's why someone like Riquna Williams remains popular. However, if you had to deal with all the misses game in and game out, it can wear on you. I'm just not that impressed with the Tynice Martin, Mariya Moore, Kitija Laksa types who are supposed to be great shooters but can't crack 40%. If they lack accuracy at the college level, I don't see why it's going to be different at the pro level. And no, these are not players who necessarily face a lot of double teams. Perimeter players rarely get that kind of treatment.

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Young is a top 8 pick.

toad455 wrote:

Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

Young has ZERO outside shot.

icey23

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Ayana Mitchell, LSU

Hopefully she comes back to LSU next year, one more year in college and she’s a WNBA draft pick! Her face up game has really improved this season!!

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Quote:
Ayana Mitchell, LSU

Hopefully she comes back to LSU next year, one more year in college and she’s a WNBA draft pick! Her face up game has really improved this season!!

If she can come back next year, I guess Megdal stumbled on that one.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Young is a top 8 pick.

toad455 wrote:

Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

Must be your anti-ND bias.

She’s listed at 6’0. I like that she’s a good rebounder. 2.3 offensive rpg. What other top end guard is touching that? She leads the team in assists. As far as three point shot, she doesn’t take a lot of them. But with Ogunbowale attempting 117 and Mabrey attempting 113, maybe she doesn’t need to? She’s at 6-18 from three which is 33.3%.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69,

I wonder what is taking so long to get a deal completed, and why no updates on the status at a minimum? If nothing else, at least give the season ticket holders something to be excited about....Also wonder what's taking so long for the coaching staff to be finalized?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Young is a top 8 pick.

toad455 wrote:

Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

She’s listed at 6’0. I like that she’s a good rebounder. 2.3 offensive rpg.What other top end guard is touching that? She leads the team in assists. As far as three point shot, she doesn’t take a lot of them. But with Ogunbowale attempting 117 and Mabrey attempting 113, maybe she doesn’t need to? She’s at 6-18 from three which is 33.3%.

OrSU's Pivec

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Young is a top 8 pick.

toad455 wrote:

Slocum isn't WNBA ready.

She’s listed at 6’0. I like that she’s a good rebounder. 2.3 offensive rpg.What other top end guard is touching that? She leads the team in assists. As far as three point shot, she doesn’t take a lot of them. But with Ogunbowale attempting 117 and Mabrey attempting 113, maybe she doesn’t need to? She’s at 6-18 from three which is 33.3%.

OrSU's Pivec

Pivec vs Young would be a no brainer.Id Choose Jackie everytime .

PostPosted: 02/13/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't proposing Pivec over Young, simply responding to the rhetorical rebounding guard question.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I wasn't proposing Pivec over Young, simply responding to the rhetorical rebounding guard question.

Did you forget which thread you were in? Are you saying she’s a 2019 draft prospect?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Did you forget which thread you were in? Are you saying she’s a 2019 draft prospect?

I have no idea how old she is. But you didn't specify that your top guard had to be 2019. The point is that using rebounding for a guard isn't exactly a top priority unless you're going to make her a SF. Remember the great rebounding guard Alexander from the B1G a few years ago?

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
(She does not particularly enjoy being a student.)

Got receipts on this? Of course not.

ClayK has described his prior connections to/inside information regarding Ionescu.

Then again, for most recent mock drafts that High Post Hoops published, you claimed that Howard Megdal was taking your ideas. Got receipts on this? Of course not.

But Clay responded to you.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1557978&highlight=#1557978

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I have no idea how old she is. But you didn't specify that your top guard had to be 2019.

It shouldn’t be something I have to constantly point out in a thread about 2019 draft prospects.

myrtle wrote:
The point is that using rebounding for a guard isn't exactly a top priority unless you're going to make her a SF.

She’s big enough to play SF, but I prefer any guard that has a nose for the ball over one that doesn’t. I’m sure it has something to do with Ionescu being rated so high.

myrtle wrote:
Remember the great rebounding guard Alexander from the B1G a few years ago?

I’m sure her nose for rebounding wasn’t what hurt her WNBA prospects.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:

Yes, as he clearly showed by having Indiana draft McCowan. He also noted how difficult it was to figure out where Chicago would go with its pick.

But Dallas will not have Cambage, while Vegas (A'ja Wilson) and New York (Tina Charles) have elite post players and Chicago (Stef Dolson) has a solid one). So yes, Brown could be the franchise center/post presence for Dallas.

Shades wrote:
If she’s good enough to go at #9, shouldn’t Brondello want her at #8? This could be Megdal messing with Brondello’s head.

Yes, because Jim Pitman -- who is the Mercury's GM, not Sandy Brondello -- is basing his draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

But same for Brondello...I am sure she is basing her contributions to the franchise's draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

Shades wrote:

Other than Alanna Smith, in terms of likely first round picks, plus referencing elite potential early entrants Sabrina Ionescu, Tiana Mangakahia, Borislava Hristova, and Kitija Laksa. They are all international players.

But if you are referencing international players who are non-US collegians, then yes, I agree with you. There was no mention of Xu Han or Yueri Li (both of China), for example. This seems to be a notable omission (especially after the 2018 FIBA Women's World Cup), unless there is intel indicating they will not be coming over.

Side note...Megdal listed Bella Alarie (Princeton), but she is a junior and her DOB is April 1998.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK has got things wrong in the past Laughing Laughing He may live in her white privilege area but that doesn't mean anyone will tell him what they really think.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Yes, as he clearly showed by having Indiana draft McCowan.

I appreciate that you recognize her as a franchise level center, but even more teams don’t need a franchise level center?

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
He also noted how difficult it was to figure out where Chicago would go with its pick.

So create a log jam at SF and pass on a center you consider “franchise”? I think you helped make my case for Chicago by referring to Dolson as
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Chicago (Stef Dolson) has a solid.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But Dallas will not have Cambage, while Vegas (A'ja Wilson) and New York (Tina Charles) have elite post players

Is there a one elite post player limit for teams I’m not aware of? A franchise center can’t work with elite PF’s? Write that down, people. Anyway, I’m not exactly sure myself that Brown is a franchise level center, but if Megdal considers her one, I would think she’d be more desired over a solid center and what they have as centers at NYL and LVA. I’m quibbling over Megdal’s use of “franchise” if it’s not clear.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
So yes, Brown could be the franchise center/post presence for Dallas.

Yeah that would work out great for Dallas, wouldn’t it? I think it’s more about working out great for the mock than being realistic.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yes, because Jim Pitman -- who is the Mercury's GM, not Sandy Brondello -- is basing his draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

But same for Brondello...I am sure she is basing her contributions to the franchise's draft strategy on Howard Megdal's mock draft, as opposed to scouting players, etc.

I thought I was pretty clear here. It was an odd placement for Magbegor considering Brondello could take her highly rated (by Megdal) Opal player under her wing. Is there that huge of a chasm between #8 and #9 that she would see fit to pass on Magbegor? I’m asking about Megdal’s thought process here in case it wasn’t clear.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Other than Alanna Smith, in terms of likely first round picks, plus referencing elite potential early entrants Sabrina Ionescu, Tiana Mangakahia, Borislava Hristova, and Kitija Laksa. They are all international players.

Pretty sure Ionescu was born in America, but maybe we need Clay’s old insider info to make sure.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But if you are referencing international players who are non-US collegians, then yes, I agree with you. There was no mention of Xu Han or Yueri Li (both of China), for example. This seems to be a notable omission (especially after the 2018 FIBA Women's World Cup), unless there is intel indicating they will not be coming over.

I think you knew what I meant. I’m not going to keep repeating “non-collegiate international players” to avoid being prodded by a couple people who love to prod. Obviously non-collegiate international players get treated the same as American players in the draft, so no distinction needs to be drawn.

But yeah, looks like you finally begrudgingly agreed that this is a notable oversight? Is this a bonding moment?

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Side note...Megdal listed Bella Alarie (Princeton), but she is a junior and her DOB is April 1998.

How dare you point out Megdal mistakes. He’s my hero.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/19 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK has got things wrong in the past Laughing Laughing He may live in her white privilege area but that doesn't mean anyone will tell him what they really think.

He even calls himself “Dead Wrong In Public”, so that’s reason enough to examine the context of an important and potentially rumor-starting claim made on a heavily trafficked draft discussion thread.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I did hear Graves in an interview say he would support Io whatever her decision is... but right now they're both focusing on the here and now.

Not much else he could have said.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/13/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can't believe how many mocks have collier out of top 5. i don't get it

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/13/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

In fairness, we literally just saw a UConn forward who might be a 3, might be a 4, graduate and be taken in the lottery, then have a wildly underwhelming rookie season. I can see why some might be a little reluctant to go there again.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

In fairness, we literally just saw a UConn forward who might be a 3, might be a 4, graduate and be taken in the lottery, then have a wildly underwhelming rookie season. I can see why some might be a little reluctant to go there again.

Yes, Collier and Gabby Williams are both UConn forwards,.The knock on Williams has always been her inability to shoot from just about anywhere; in fact, that is the reason you term her rookie season "underwhelming" b/c, other than that bad shot, she actually played smart. passed well and was a good defender, Collier may be a weak 3 point shooter, but has a far better intermediate game. Like some others in this draft, I would not call Naphessa a sure thing, but do not use Williams as her model.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/19 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the only problem for a starting power forward who averaged 4 rebounds a night, on the worst rebounding team in the league, with far and away the worst team defense in the league, who got murdered inside by opposing 4s on a nightly basis, was her jump shot. By all means tell me why Collier's different from Williams, but don't "well actually" me about Williams's crappy first pro season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 38 of 74

Jump to: