RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/24/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Disagree. Their last escapade in 3x3 showed how much they are not elite. They couldn't even make the final rounds with a USA coach, while the other teams had no coach and training at USA. There seems something is off with these players.

3x3 & 5x5 are two different games .............

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are but when someone is promoting them as 1 on 1 creating players and they can't win at 3x3, something is really up Laughing Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I lean toward Durr or Ogwunbale

You lean towards them for what, to be the top picks? Historically guards are top picks only in weak drafts, except maybe 2004, if you consider Taurasi a guard back then, and 2006 which was a strong guard class. This is not a weak draft.

ClayK wrote:
I'm just not convinced either post is athletic enough to be a top-shelf WNBA player.

What’s the standard? If you’re 6’7 you’ve got to be at least as athletic as Cambage as a rookie? Cambage couldn’t do a push-up as a rookie. McCowan hits the weights.

I was responding to the "best career" question, but yours is a good one too.

In a generic draft (all teams being equal), I think you probably have to take one of the two bigs, because there are fewer of them and the return if one pans out is higher. (Of the two, I'd take McCowan if the draft were today ...)

Once you factor in team needs, etc., then the equation changes. Assuming Indy gets the first pick, with Vivians and the Mitchells, going big probably makes the most sense. But if Ionescu comes out, she might be the pick.

And then, five years later, you look back and somebody else is clearly better ...

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
They are but when someone is promoting them as 1 on 1 creating players and they can't win at 3x3, something is really up Laughing Laughing

If they were playing 1 x 1 then this would be more appropriate. 3x3 is a totally different type of team game than just going 1 x 1 .

PostPosted: 08/25/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watch, you put those 2 on the floor and they are definitely going 1 on 1. Laughing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/27/18 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember Tynice Martin? Some declared her a future lottery pick based on her sophomore season at WVU.

One night in Oklahoma City

She redshirted last season, making her eligible to declare for this draft.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/unH1j8Qw4rI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/27/18 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/27/18 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Draft Lottery will be shown on ESPN2 Tuesday August 28th during halftime of the Dream Mystics Semi-Final Playoff Game #2

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
A little extrapolation on my picks with one minor change. I think they're pretty good. But there's a long time between then and now.

1. Indiana - Kalani Brown - Depending on who has the better season between her and McCowan. I'm going with Brown for now because she can create her own shot on the block and has more range.
2. Las Vegas - Katie Lou Samuelson - They've got the 1, 2 and 4 positions covered for the next decade. They could go with one of Brown or McCowan here, but for now I'm going with the star power.
3. Chicago - Teaira McCowan - See the #1 pick. If she can prove to be more dangerous on offense than pick and roll layups and putbacks, she could take over the top spot.
4. New York - Napheesa Collier - New York's roster right now consists of a disgruntled superstar post, a bunch of homogeneous combo guards, and 1 really promising rookie. We'll see what happens there, but I'm going with Collier because she can fill multiple holes in their frontcourt rotation. .

Here is the question - is A'ja Wilson really a four?

In terms of minutes this year, Las Vegas looked like this (without factoring in total games played, though outside of Jefferson, every player played in at least 24 games):

1. A'ja Wilson - 30.6
2. Kayla McBride - 32.3
3. Tamera Young - 26.7
4. Kelsey Plum - 25.5
5. Dearica Hamby - 14.4
6. Moriah Jefferson - 15.7
7. Nia Coffey - 13.8
8. Carolyn Swords - 14.4
9. Lindsay Allen - 14.9
10. Kelsey Bone - 10.8
11. JiSu Park - 13.0

I have not calculated the +/- numbers and efficiency ratings for Wilson at the 4 vs. Wilson at the 5. And there were times that a default center started for defensive purposes against some of the really talented veteran centers.

But Las Vegas needs the second front court player - whether a forward or center - to be able to contribute both offensively and defensively. Swords, Bone, and Park could not do that.

Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan have yet to show their ability to be anything other than centers. They do not have the ability to face-up and hit outside shots on a consistent basis.

If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier or Ezi Magbagor. Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2). If Laimbeer wants to take a chance on Magbagor as a young, but incredibly athletic face-up 4 with quick 1st step attacking abilities at 6-4 (but does not yet have the shooting range), that could also be a very good pick a few years down the road.

The bigger question is if we assume that Las Vegas gets the #2 pick, with which team could a trade be made.

Brown has shown a solid midrange game and ability to take defenders off the dribble....I think she’d be a great fit alongside Wilson. McCowan would eat up too much space inside and have the same effect on A’ja that Coates did. That said, if they get the 2 pick I think they should take KLS. Another lights out perimeter player will make Vegas incredibly dangerous. Slides in perfectly at the 3. Another idea is trade away Jefferson for NY’s 4th pick and try to get Collier there.

Very open draft next year though. I could see a lot of players having huge years and significantly improving their stock a la Kelsey Plum in 2017 or Zahui B in 2015.

Agree barry, who was smoking dope on the Collier with Aja debacle. People have short memories. The paint is Ajas playground, you need to keep players outta there. Collier plays in the paint and runs into the paint as thats where she is comfortable and is why she did not fair as well when Stevens was on the floor at Uconn. She is a lesser player than Williams at this point as Williams is superior athletically, can pass and see the floor.

Vegas needs players to compliment Aja and her paint, players who can pick and roll with her and spread the floor and see the court.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Vegas needs players to compliment Aja and her paint

I’m sure Laimbeer can teach McCowan to say things like “Gosh A’ja, you really earned that ROY last year.... almost the MVP!” I’m sure they’ll get along great.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt they would be on the floor together, I think McCowan will be spelling her to give Aja a breather, nothing wrong with that.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I doubt they would be on the floor together, I think McCowan will be spelling her to give Aja a breather, nothing wrong with that.

You never saw a center playing alongside Wilson this season? It was only happening almost all the time.... either Swords, Bone, or Park. Now they can upgrade to a younger(except for Park), taller, stronger model.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

You never saw a center playing alongside Wilson this season? It was only happening almost all the time.... either Swords, Bone, or Park. Now they can upgrade to a younger(except for Park), taller, stronger model.

+1 , Just think Alaina Coates and her Pedal stool days .

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You were talking about McCowan and so was I, not those other players who know what Laimbeer wants, I think she will be a slow developer as she has been until this day. Who knows in the long run what she will develop into but it won't be immediate.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Did we forget how much better Aja has been in the pros without a player like Coates who clogged up the paint.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Did we forget how much better Aja has been in the pros without a player like Coates who clogged up the paint.

EXACTLY ! Cool

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Who knows in the long run what she will develop into but it won't be immediate.

Hard to say. 6’7 can’t help you very much sitting on the bench.
People have been underestimating McCowan for a couple of years now, but all she does is go to the NCAA championship two years in a row. She played all 45 min of an OT against Louisville in the Tournament. That’s how badly MSU needed her on the court. Can you imagine Brown playing 45 min in a game? I imagine a stretcher being called in to get her off the court.

Hate to bring this up, but weren’t you about the only one who was skeptical about Wilson as a prospect last year?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aja has done much better IMO than I thought which is great but it has been due to the fact that she has more freedom on the court in Bills scheme. I don't think Brown would work and think McCowan would be better in the long run, on a team that is center focused, I just don't think she will be able to be impactful immediately due to the speed and quick scouting needed of the W season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Aja has done much better IMO than I thought which is great but it has been due to the fact that she has more freedom on the court in Bills scheme. I don't think Brown would work and think McCowan would be better in the long run, on a team that is center focused, I just don't think she will be able to be impactful immediately due to the speed and quick scouting needed of the W season.

Hey if no one wants McCowan or Brown let them slip to #5 . We wont complain !

PostPosted: 08/28/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My points had nothing to do with who wants, it was about how they will work and whether they will be an immediate impact. You doubting whether Liz will come back huh Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I don't think Brown would work and think McCowan would be better in the long run, on a team that is center focused

Well if Laimbeer doesn’t want a center- or post-focused team, I’m not sure who else would.

Nixtreefan wrote:
I just don't think she will be able to be impactful immediately due to the speed and quick scouting needed of the W season.

Even Griner was considered a disappointment early on by most. She didn’t win ROY as a #1 pick, and she got her coach fired for not knowing how to properly use her. (Oh oh, Laimbeer)

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/28/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should have used the old BIG centered team Laughing Laughing because the game is changing. The Storm being a great example. Bill has his paint players and her name is Aja Laughing Laughing Along with some nice complementary paint players who are not cloggers.

BG is a bad comparison she is much bigger than these 2, very mobile and has inredibly long arms. But the fact that she also took time is a good point Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/28/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
My points had nothing to do with who wants, it was about how they will work and whether they will be an immediate impact. You doubting whether Liz will come back huh Wink

I could care less if she does or not . This pick shows that right ? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95

PostPosted: 08/28/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch. Indiana moves down to the 3rd pick.

PostPosted: 08/28/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 4 of 74

Jump to: