RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Especially with Megdal, these guys will see a player that jumps out at them with their metrics systems but fail to visualize how that player will do in the WNBA. Carleton is not particularly athletic, and I can’t see her making a lot of those layups at the next level. She’s like a dirt cheap version of Ionescu who probably never scored a triple double.

I usually like Ben Dull’s analysis, but to rank Carleton ahead of McCowan as a WNBA draft prospect is particularly loopy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/08/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Here's an even more laughable mock from Ben Dull(Bball Index). He has McCowan dropping to #16!!!! Gustafson to #17!!! Magbegor not getting picked and Jackie Young(Notre Dame) & Tynice Martin(WVU) declaring early and going in the first round.

https://www.bball-index.com/2019-wnba-draft-big-board-1/

In fairness, it's very clearly not a mock draft. It's a 'big board' of how he rates the players. It's not saying McCowan will necessarily drop to 16 in the draft, just that he doesn't think she'll be as good as the consensus seems to think. There's a difference.

In theory, a big board should have all the international players listed higher than they would be on a mock draft. Interesting to see neither Magbegor nor Li on the list in that regard.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/19 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Jackie Young(Notre Dame) & Tynice Martin(WVU) declaring early and going in the first round.

I didn’t realize Jackie Young was old enough to declare, kinda like Jewel Loyd. That’s intriguing. You could look at it two ways. She’d be the clear star of the team should she come back and she’d probably get her ND degree, or the team doesn’t have a prayer to win a championship next year and she should just move on. Higher pick next year for sure.

I rememeber searching for the year she was born a few months ago and found nothing. Her actual birthday is September 16th i dont see how she could be elgible unless she was turning 19 her frosh year in september 2016. Would make sense if she is elgible and muffet didn't want that to get out and possibly sway her decision as well.

PostPosted: 01/08/19 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Just curious, does anyone on this board actually want their team to take Jessica Shepard with its 1st Round pick? All I've seen is Randy's forlorn-sounding statement that "Shepard at 11 might be the best the Dream could hope for." That's the sentiment of someone who would be content to find a lump of coal in their Christmas stocking. Razz

I feel more positive about her now that I've seen her play but still have some doubts about her plus the dream really don't need her either but at the end of the day she probably is the best we could hope for at 11

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/08/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I rememeber searching for the year she was born a few months ago and found nothing. Her actual birthday is September 16th i dont see how she could be elgible unless she was turning 19 her frosh year in september 2016. Would make sense if she is elgible and muffet didn't want that to get out and possibly sway her decision as well.

I found 1997 for a birth year, which makes sense since isn't September 1st usually the cut-off birthdate for people starting school? so people born in Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec usually turn 19 their freshman year.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/09/19 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Just curious, does anyone on this board actually want their team to take Jessica Shepard with its 1st Round pick? All I've seen is Randy's forlorn-sounding statement that "Shepard at 11 might be the best the Dream could hope for." That's the sentiment of someone who would be content to find a lump of coal in their Christmas stocking. Razz

I feel more positive about her now that I've seen her play but still have some doubts about her plus the dream really don't need her either but at the end of the day she probably is the best we could hope for at 11

So you really think there is no one better or equivalent at a position of need? You said yourself that Shepard looks undersized. I don't think anyone would argue that she's particularly athletic. On defense, we know Jessica is not a rim protector. On offense, Shepard's field goal efficiency and passing skills are very good at the college level, but are you confident that they'll stand up against bigger, stronger, more athletic pro defenders? One can argue that Gustafson will compensate with superior technique. Anigwe and Turner will make use of their athleticism. Smith is hard to guard because she can go inside-outside and has some ability to put the ball on the floor. Shepard will have to rely on intangibles like smarts and toughness.

Who are your top 15 players? I'd like to know who you're passing up.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rrot sorry but I'm not far enough along in my process to answer your long list of questions. I didn't think sayiing an undersized post we don't need with a history of weight problems might be the BPA at 11. was as much of an endorsement as you might have e thought. That's sort of the problem with a. 11 pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/09/19 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here is Ben Dull's actual mock draft.

https://www.bball-index.com/2019-wnba-mock-draft-1/

McCowan at #8. Has Ionescu, Jackie Young & Tynice Martin entering early & going in the first round. Mabrey & Carleton in the first round as well. Ogunbowale, Gustafson in the second round. Dillard at #23.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 01/09/19 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 01/09/19 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafting a 2-guard in the 1st round for the 3rd year in a row? SWK was already barely in the rotation, how is Mabrey supposed to get playing time? Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/09/19 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Drafting a 2-guard in the 1st round for the 3rd year in a row? SWK was already barely in the rotation, how is Mabrey supposed to get playing time? Laughing

Currie and TRP could both be gone, so I understand a wing, but yeah you either want someone with some size or a genuine PG, not another 2-guard. And from the little women's NCAA basketball I've seen, Mabrey ahead of Ogunbowale seems unlikely to me in general.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Rrot sorry but I'm not far enough along in my process to answer your long list of questions. I didn't think sayiing an undersized post we don't need with a history of weight problems might be the BPA at 11. was as much of an endorsement as you might have e thought. That's sort of the problem with a. 11 pick.

Laughing OK, didn't mean to be a pain. Just trying to be helpful. Carry on.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s why what happens in free agency helps make it a little easier to speculate for the draft. If ATL signs Dantas, that’d be 5 signed post players with none of them really being versatile enough to play the SF, ATL’s most needed position. Would it make sense for ATL to draft another post with it’s highest pick, especially if they’re not of the quick and versatile stretch-4 nature? I suppose they could always trade Dantas on draft day if ATL gets surprised with a PF that they love falling to them at #11. But this player would probably rarely even see the court as the fifth post. If you pick the right SF at #11, they might have a chance at All Rookie because the minutes they could potentially be getting. It’s sorta akin to the Liberty starting Nurse because most of their guards were hurt, and what do you know, she stepped up when the opportunity presented itself and the Liberty found themselves with an All Rookie guard at the #10 pick. Find yourself an All Rookie SF. It’ll only help you in the long run even McCoughtry. Even more team depth.

I suppose if you’re not in love with IMS long term, you could consider drafting a center at #11 since IMS will be in her last year of her rookie contract. Anigwe would be an intriguing backup to EWill. They have some similarities. If you can score Anigwe at #11, I guess I’d understand. I think the Lynx would be happy to take Dantas off your hands for a second round pick (if they don’t outbid you in free agency).

I know, you guys are probably thinking of going with a three-guard system to address the SF situation since you have so many decent guards, but didn’t you go in that direction when McCoughtry voluntarily took the year off? How well did that turn out for you? It got you a lottery pick! Oh wait, it got you IMS.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/09/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
here is Ben Dull's actual mock draft.
https://www.bball-index.com/2019-wnba-mock-draft-1/

At least this guy wasn’t afraid to take chances and be different, but I think he’s gonna catch a lot of grief for this mock draft. It’s not nearly as bad as Megdal’s first-ever WNBA mock draft, but it’s not good either.

I think I planted the Hiedeman seed in his head since I asked him if he didn’t think she was worthy of Top 25 compared to some of the players he had.

If Reeve were to really pass on McCowan over either Smith or Collier, and also pass on Dillard or even a few others he had available for Laksa or Burke, I’d have to tear some ish up. McCowan could be like a sponge playing behind Fowles, and Fagbenle could just backup Brunson.

I like that he seems to be anti-ND, because all their players are severely underdrafted here (oops, except for a Mabrey of all players), but it’s a little bit too much. Surprised

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/09/19 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KLS and Ogunbowale I could work with that and we would be in good shape if Prince and Zealous go else where as free agents. Off course I do not think Ogunbowale at 14 is very realistic.

Boyd/Hartley
Ogunbowale/ Rodgers/Mangakahia
Nurse/ KLS
Charles/ Raincock- Ekunwe
Zahui B/Stokes

That would be a much more 2019 kind of roster

toad455

PostPosted: 01/09/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I'm not high on McCowan, she's not dropping past Minnesota. Reeve and Fowles would be a huge asset for her career. The Arike dropping to #15 over Carleton and Mabrey is laughable. Curious about Jackie Young though as she was on nobody's list to declare early?

And the Liberty shouldn't pass on a post at #14 if they're taking Durr or Samuelson at #2.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/09/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
KLS and Ogunbowale I could work with that and we would be in good shape if Prince and Zealous go else where as free agents. Off course I do not think Ogunbowale at 14 is very realistic.

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/ KLS
Zahui B/Stokes

Boyd 5-9 (really 5-7)
Hartley 5-8
Ogunbowale 5-8
Rodgers 5-9
Mangakahia 5-5

Your guard rotation would average less than 5-8. Taking the real height of your post players, probably no one is taller than 6-3. You really don't give a shit about rebounding and defense, do you? Laughing

Actually, you only have 11 players listed.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I said this before in the NYL thread, but I’ll reiterate here. It looks like NYL were able to sign Stokes to an early extension last year for a modest $90,000, and in exchange she didn’t have to worry about where she was playing next season. I suspect there may have been some “we’ve really taken care of you through your injury-riddled season so how about signing early for $27K under max?”

I wonder if they dangled the $90,000 carrot under Zahui’s nose but she opted to keep her options open. Or don’t they think she’s worth $90,000? That’d be interesting. I think she should be a prime target for Reeve, between her and Dantas. Pretty sure they can’t afford both unless they drop either Augustus or more likely Brunson. Wright obviously has a guaranteed contract with all the Reeve talk last year of not being able to keep rookies because of their guaranteed contracts.

I could have sworn there was an indication that Sugar Rodgers was signed to an early extension last year, but she is showing up as not signed in the data base. If Rodgers really isn’t signed, that could change some ideas.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/09/19 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see a few teams throwing money at Zahui B. Minnesota, Phoenix, Washington. Just a matter if NY matches or let's her walk.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Even though I'm not high on McCowan, she's not dropping past Minnesota. Reeve and Fowles would be a huge asset for her career. The Arike dropping to #15 over Carleton and Mabrey is laughable. Curious about Jackie Young though as she was on nobody's list to declare early?

And the Liberty shouldn't pass on a post at #14 if they're taking Durr or Samuelson at #2.

McCowan wont drop past Dallas to be matter of fact.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I found 1997 for a birth year, which makes sense since isn't September 1st usually the cut-off birthdate for people starting school? so people born in Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec usually turn 19 their freshman year.

Yep if 1997 is the birth year she turned 21 last September and would be turning 22 this draft year. Nice work Space!!!! Cats out the bag now....How high does she go if she enters early? I see her as a future SF with the potential to be a great defender along with playmaking abilities. I take her ahead of Arike if im picking 1st rd.

PostPosted: 01/09/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
[Seems like Megdal copied my BPA notion.]

Or maybe he had the same idea. If someone has a similar idea to you, it does not mean said person copied or plagiarized from you.

Shades wrote:
[He’s saying Cambage wants out and Collier is the person to replace her? Delusional]

If you read the entire excerpt, it says no such thing. In fact, Megdal states:

All of which leads to Collier, who is an Alyssa Thomas clone-in-waiting, and would work as both a skilled two-way four next to Cambage, a complement to Azura Stevens if Cambage doesn’t return, and even an option as a big three next to the two of them in an imposing front line.

Shades wrote:
Other than the early entries and maybe Allen and Blockton, his “sleepers” are garbage. Shows you how much help he needs from talent evaluators.

Or it shows how you put your opinion as fact, without any support, to attack the writing of others, without explanation as to your critiques and without the ability to do so without making personal attacks on the author.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/09/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I could have sworn there was an indication that Sugar Rodgers was signed to an early extension last year, but she is showing up as not signed in the data base. If Rodgers really isn’t signed, that could change some ideas.

It's the last transaction item posted on WNBA.com

Quote:

August 19, 2018
New York Rogers, Sugar Contract Extension
Minnesota Robinson, Danielle Contract Extension
Dallas Lucas, Maggie Contract Signed (Rest of Season)

https://www.wnba.com/transactions/

PostPosted: 01/09/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The underclassmen for the draft. Lots of possible wrenches this year. Ionescu, now Jackie Young, Tynice Martin, Destiny Slocum, Mangakahia. Any other possible underclassmen that stand a chance at getting drafted?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/09/19 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="root_thing"]
J-Spoon wrote:

Boyd/Hartley
Nurse/ KLS
Zahui B/Stokes

Boyd 5-9 (really 5-7)
Hartley 5-8
Ogunbowale 5-8
Rodgers 5-9
Mangakahia 5-5

Your guard rotation would average less than 5-8. Taking the real height of your post players, probably no one is taller than 6-3. You really don't give a shit about rebounding and defense, do you? Laughing

Actually, you only have 11 players listed.[/quote

Yeah just grab whatever 6 ' 5" or above free agent or waiver wire player to up the average .

But I don't think w get Ogunbowale at 14 or Mangakahia at 26 for that matter so I am not to worried about the reality of this draft

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/09/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My new NY draft to solve the size issue and bring some flair to Brooklyn (please be true, please be true) Durr at 2 Han Xu at 14

Boyd/Prince/ Hartley
Durr/ Rodgers
Nurse/Zealous/Raincock- Ekunwe
Charles/Zahui B/(Raincock- EKunwe)
Stokes/ Han Xu

There now we look a little taller

And we still have free agent options if any of ours don't re-sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 24 of 74

Jump to: