RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would take Cunningham around there over someone else’s favorite player LOL.

KLS was not cleared for contact for USA and she was training in Orange County with Jason Wright.

Does anyone have news on Maya’s ailments?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

I haven’t heard that she has any ailments.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

I haven’t heard that she has any ailments.

Though to be fair, Maya could be on her deathbed and Reeve would refuse to tell us anything is wrong and the Minnesota media wouldn't bother trying to get any answers.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is “Reeve Fatigue” considered an ailment? It’s often distinguished by tread marks left by being thrown under the bus.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Is “Reeve Fatigue” considered an ailment? It’s often distinguished by tread marks left by being thrown under the bus.

That's what I always assumed it to be. Howard (& Montgomery) were lucky to escape the wrath of Reeve while they could. Every FA and potential draft picks this offseason should want to stay as far away from Reeve as possible if they ever want to be able to win or have a successful WNBA career, seeing how this year went.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/05/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of all this Sophie Cunningham talk. She was supposed to be around for the Storm @ 12. Twisted Evil

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/05/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I'm not a fan of all this Sophie Cunningham talk. She was supposed to be around for the Storm @ 12. Twisted Evil

Her falling between 8-12 seems fitting. She's big strong but slow . I like her offensive mentality very tough gal , but not my cup of tea at #5 especially when it comes to defending.

PostPosted: 09/05/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Megdal also has Phoenix taking Jessica Shepherd in the first round, noting:

My favorite thing Jessica Shepard does on the court, and there are many, is throw outlet passes. Sandy Brondello loves to run, and Shepard’s going to get her several transition buckets a game with those passes, which, if you’ll forgive the female-to-male crossover, I’ve seen twice before: from Kevin Love when he was at UCLA, and in old clips of Wes Unseld.

Shepherd is not in the same stratosphere when it comes to outside shooting as Kevin Love, nor is she a particularly good free throw shoter.

What made Dupree fit next to Griner (and why Lyttle fit and Bonner fits) is the ability to step out to midrange and beyond and hit consistent shots from 12 feet to the arc. Shepherd has not shown the ability to do that on a consistent basis, nor is she mobile enough to defend power forwards right now.

Not much point drafting Shepard unless you think she can play alongside Griner (or Griner's retiring or taking a year off sometime soon). They already took that player last year with Gulich.

100 percent agree. Cannot understand why Medgal is pushing this selection. Even more baffled as to the basis (outlet passes) for the selection.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/05/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Megdal also has Phoenix taking Jessica Shepherd in the first round, noting:

My favorite thing Jessica Shepard does on the court, and there are many, is throw outlet passes. Sandy Brondello loves to run, and Shepard’s going to get her several transition buckets a game with those passes, which, if you’ll forgive the female-to-male crossover, I’ve seen twice before: from Kevin Love when he was at UCLA, and in old clips of Wes Unseld.

Shepherd is not in the same stratosphere when it comes to outside shooting as Kevin Love, nor is she a particularly good free throw shoter.

What made Dupree fit next to Griner (and why Lyttle fit and Bonner fits) is the ability to step out to midrange and beyond and hit consistent shots from 12 feet to the arc. Shepherd has not shown the ability to do that on a consistent basis, nor is she mobile enough to defend power forwards right now.

Not much point drafting Shepard unless you think she can play alongside Griner (or Griner's retiring or taking a year off sometime soon). They already took that player last year with Gulich.

100 percent agree. Cannot understand why Medgal is pushing this selection. Even more baffled as to the basis (outlet passes) for the selection.

Yeah, if making outlet passes is your number 1 selling point, then, uh...

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Yeah, if making outlet passes is your number 1 selling point, then, uh...

Unless people want me to experience so much outrage that I will probably get banned from RebKell's permanently for cussing and screaming nonstop, the Lynx better not draft Shepard! 😡😡😡😡

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/06/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was interesting watching the USA scrimmage yesterday ...

Sabrina Ionescu looks like she needs to get faster in the open court (though I did hear she's the only college player being kept for Saturday's event.)

Jessica Shepard looks like she needs to get slimmer.

Napheesa Collier looks like she's searching for a position at the next level.

Arike Ogunbowale looks like she's ready to start in the WNBA right now.

Ty Harris looks like the real deal if she can keep making threes.

Ruthy Hebard looks like an athletic, slightly undersized post.

PostPosted: 09/06/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Sabrina Ionescu looks like she needs to get faster in the open court (though I did hear she's the only college player being kept for Saturday's event.)

Collier's still there as well. Ionescu and DeShields are the only ones they've kept from the six players added from outside the pool.

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:27 pm    ::: Ionescu discusses her pathway to 2019 WNBA draft decision Reply Reply with quote

https://highposthoops.com/2018/09/10/sabrina-ionescu-discusses-2019-wnba-draft/

Quote:
There’s no general consensus yet about whether the Aces would guarantee Ionescu a pathway to joining Plum and A’ja Wilson as top picks, with one WNBA talent evaluator wondering whether her athleticism will allow for an easy transition to the league, especially against the quicker point guards.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/10/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unnamed "talent evaluators" ftw.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But Plum sees Ionescu as well ahead of where Plum herself was back in 2016 on the court, and no less an authority on WNBA point guard play than Staley agreed on whether Ionescu can make the jump (though it must be said, an Oregon team without Ionescu benefits Staley at her other job, running the show at South Carolina).

“I do think that,” Staley said about whether Ionescu is WNBA-ready. “Part of it is her confidence. She walks around like she belongs. Sometimes that’s half of the battle and she’s very, very talented. That’s the other half. Obviously, she does some things out here veterans in the WNBA do on a nightly basis. So, I mean, the package is certainly there.”

...“I think, skill wise, I’m definitely able to hang with them, and play with them,” Ionescu said of her USA Basketball teammates. “I just think I need to get there mentally. I think I just need to feel that I do belong, and I can play with them because I feel like I’m still young.”

If Ionescu believes she can "hang" with pro players, and others around the game think she's ready, then I'm guessing she comes out. As far as I know, Sabrina is not one of these people who wants to be a doctor or something else in the long run so that basketball is an interim goal. If pro basketball is your dream career, then why not get started? I was listening to an interview with John Calipari recently, and he said all these male players who leave after their freshman year have lifetime scholarships that allow them to finish school at any time -- which I found really surprising. Shocked If that's true on the women's side -- and notably different we're talking about a junior -- then the "finishing your education" excuse goes away. She can always go back to school later and it wouldn't cost her a dime.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she can "hang with them" why did she get sent home in favor of Clarendon and Plum? Also there were comments around her that she looked a bit slow. Sounds like she needs more time.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/11/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If she can "hang with them" why did she get sent home in favor of Clarendon and Plum? Also there were comments around her that she looked a bit slow. Sounds like she needs more time.

The question would be whether more time would make her faster or quicker ...

Now if the issue is decision-making, then more time obviously will be a benefit, but I'm not sure that's the case here.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:

Now if the issue is decision-making, then more time obviously will be a benefit, but I'm not sure that's the case here.

I think pace can be worked on. She's been used to being 'deliberate' and that has some advantages [EDD should be the spokeswoman for deliberate] but she clearly needs to work on change of pace. And actually I believe there are exercises which can help foot speed as well. Of course she'll never be a DRob or Canada in terms of quickness. But then Byrd doesn't have it either so clearly its not necessary in order to be a great PG. Like Plum, Ionescu will have to work on defense. I would question why everyone thinks she will be a PG however. On her own team Cazorla is the PG and makes everyone around her better. Ionescu gets a lot of assists but I think part of that is just having Cazorla on the floor with her....like it would be interesting to know how many hockey assists come thru Cazorla. Anyway, it will be a fun team to watch this year.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Ionescu comes out is she the #1 pick?

ATM my guess is yes, if she continues on her trajectory she ends up #1.

(If LV doesn't want her someone will trade up. NY? Nurse and #2 for #1? IF Laimbeer wants to go big with his pick I can't imagine him gifting NY Ionescu for nothing, Nurse would be a great fit in LV.)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:

I think pace can be worked on. She's been used to being 'deliberate' and that has some advantages [EDD should be the spokeswoman for deliberate] but she clearly needs to work on change of pace. And actually I believe there are exercises which can help foot speed as well. Of course she'll never be a DRob or Canada in terms of quickness. But then Byrd doesn't have it either so clearly its not necessary in order to be a great PG. Like Plum, Ionescu will have to work on defense. I would question why everyone thinks she will be a PG however. On her own team Cazorla is the PG and makes everyone around her better. Ionescu gets a lot of assists but I think part of that is just having Cazorla on the floor with her....like it would be interesting to know how many hockey assists come thru Cazorla. Anyway, it will be a fun team to watch this year.

I hate making this comparison because it's an unfair weight to put on a young player, but I'd look at it like a Taurasi. She's rarely been the official starting 'point guard' on her team, but she's often the primary ballhandler regardless. If everything goes right in her development Ionescu can be that kind of player (that level of quality would obviously be a different conversation). She does have great vision and creativity, not just scoring prowess.

Of course she's hardly the only comparison in that vein. She's a different kind of player, but Cappie Pondexter was a primary ballhandler who was never really a PG as well, and Kelsey Mitchell could hopefully be something similar (although may end up playing a little more 'true' PG). I wonder if Vegas would be the best fit, though. Is McBride going to go back to playing more 3 after having easily the best season of her career almost exclusively as a 2? Would Plum/Ionescu work as a backcourt without giving up 1000 points per game? Part of me wonders if Bill would like her to declare because it would drive up the trade value of the pick, rather than because he actually wants her on his squad.

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not sure why Laimbeer teased Ionescu like that unless he’s unhappy with his current guard situation. I’d be happy with his current guard situation if I were him. He’s said he’s not a three guard lineup type of coach. So where would Ionescu fit in other than to be a high draft pick backup? It’s his forward or post situation that needs tinkering.

It could be that Ionescu would make an attractive trade piece. Would Reeve trade Maya Moore for her? With Reeve, you never know. Can you imagine adding Maya to the current Aces squad? Night and day.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, Plum has definitely upped her trade value and, being a small guard, may not actually be his cup of tea. So maybe he would try to trade her while her value looks good.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/11/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think about it. What if Laimbeer offered Ionescu (Reeve’s future Whalen), Harrison (some much-needed post help), and a first round pick in 2020 for Maya? Reeve’s trigger finger would probably get itchy.

Just think, Laimbeer doesn’t lose anybody that he’s coached on the current squad (so he won’t miss them), but he gains Maya. OMG

Ionescu CANNOT declare early. Reeve is probably way to weak to turn down a deal like that.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Think about it. What if Laimbeer offered Ionescu (Reeve’s future Whalen), Harrison (some much-needed post help), and a first round pick in 2020 for Maya? Reeve’s trigger finger would probably get itchy.

Just think, Laimbeer doesn’t lose anybody that he’s coached on the current squad (so he won’t miss them), but he gains Maya. OMG

Ionescu CANNOT declare early. Reeve is probably way to weak to turn down a deal like that.

We must do whatever it takes to stop Cheryl Reeve from winning for teams other than the Lynx again for next season. I thought the point of sports is to be cut-throat and win for yourself, not give welfare to other teams in need, even if that's what 98% of fans in Minnesota want—other teams to win titles thanks to former Minnesota players/trades, instead of the Lynx winning themselves. Reeve already probably won (at least one) title for Seattle, and I am outraged that I cost myself thousands and thousands of dollars because I eventually decided me secretly thinking Howard is supposed to be a superstar may just be me being delusional because people on this board thought it was a good trade by the Lynx, and nobody in Minnesota made a deal out of it besides Shades. I could've used that money to try to bribe the Lynx owner into making Shades GM of the Lynx. Smile

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Myrtle and Richyyy. I don't even think PG when I watch Ionescu. She's playing with a really good college level PG in Cazorla, and it doesn't hinder her one bit in terms of still being able to create for others. The same arrangement can work in the pros. I will say though that I've seen Oregon give up some big leads when the opposition pressured Ionescu and Cazorla. Sabrina needs to adjust better to ball pressure, but supposedly that was also a problem for Plum as a rookie which she fixed in Year 2.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 10 of 74

Jump to: