RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I, too, find it odd how low people have Arike.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:
Why in the world would anybody draft Laksa? She's got a torn ACL and isn't any good anyway?

And was granted another year of eligibility and decided to use it so isn't even available to be drafted.

Source?

South Florida senior guard Kitija Laksa has announced that she won't enter this year's WNBA draft; but it isn't clear if she'll return to USF next season.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1112458677787725827

USF’s Kitija Laksa won’t enter 2019 WNBA draft
But the injured offensive star doesn’t say if she’ll play play for USF next season

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2019/03/31/usfs-kitija-laksa-wont-enter-2019-wnba-draft/

bballnut901

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question...why are people so gungho about Durr over Arike? AO is a little more trigger happy and can let her emotions get the best of her, but I think she's a much better passer and creator off the dribble and in the open court. I'm surprised people consistently rate her so much lower than Durr.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/09/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:
Why in the world would anybody draft Laksa? She's got a torn ACL and isn't any good anyway?

And was granted another year of eligibility and decided to use it so isn't even available to be drafted.

Source?

South Florida senior guard Kitija Laksa has announced that she won't enter this year's WNBA draft; but it isn't clear if she'll return to USF next season.

But the injured offensive star doesn’t say if she’ll play play for USF next season

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2019/03/31/usfs-kitija-laksa-wont-enter-2019-wnba-draft/

I guess what I got confused by is if she isn't granted another year of eligibility she is automatically available to be drafted whether she declares or not. She doesn't have to show up but once you are out of eligibility you can be drafted. I guess she could pull a Deshields, be granted the additional year of eligibility, not declare for the draft and then not use her final year of eligibility.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/09/19 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:
Question...why are people so gungho about Durr over Arike? AO is a little more trigger happy and can let her emotions get the best of her, but I think she's a much better passer and creator off the dribble and in the open court. I'm surprised people consistently rate her so much lower than Durr.

AO plays like no defense.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/09/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey will be lucky to make a roster. She's slow,can't defend and is one-dimensional. Mabrey's not even prolific or consistent at her one specialty. Sure she had some good three-point shooting games. But most of those games were against bad teams that didn't make the tournament:

W.Kentucky: 4-4
Toledo: 3-5
Binghamton: 2-5
Lehigh: 3-4
Pittsburgh: 4-9
Wake Forest: 4-7
Boston College: 3-6
Clemson: 6-10
Georgia Tech: 6-7

That comes out to 35-57 (61%)...Which means Mabrey shot 45-139 (32%) in the remaining 30 gms...Not all that impressive...It's much easier to get open of hit shots versus inferior competition.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/09/19 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Mabrey will be lucky to make a roster. She's slow,can't defend and is one-dimensional. Mabrey's not even prolific or consistent at her one specialty. Sure she had some good three-point shooting games. But most of those games were against bad teams that didn't make the tournament:

That comes out to 35-57 (61%)...Which means Mabrey shot 45-139 (32%) in the remaining 30 gms...Not all that impressive...It's much easier to get open of hit shots versus inferior competition.

i agree though I think she will get drafted. Good analysis on her shooting.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:

Source?

I guess what I got confused by is if she isn't granted another year of eligibility she is automatically available to be drafted whether she declares or not.

Ah, gotcha.

From the second link I posted:

But the 6-foot senior from Latvia didn’t indicate whether she’ll seek a hardship waiver and play for USF in the 2019-20 season.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/09/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Yes, if you take out a bunch of a player's best shooting games their percentage will drop. Great discovery.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Would someone who has watched Notre Dame frequently (as I have) explain why they would choose Jackie Young over Arike Ogunbowale for a guard position in the WNBA. Specifically, what guard skills does Young have over AO?

In my opinion, AO is the superior 3pt shooter, mid-range shooter, self-creating driver, explosive ball handler, and consistently clutch performer. Indeed, Young is a reluctant 3pt shooter. Most of Young's drives and pull-up jumpers are created off of (what Debbie Antonelli calls) Notre Dame's excellent drag screens, or because driving lanes open up for her when defenses focus their attention on ND's shooters and bigs. AO can come off screens, too, but can also self-create drives and shots with dynamic crossovers, dekes and jukes.

Young is a better rebounder, but I'm not sure that's particularly important for a WNBA guard. Young may be somewhat better defender.

I'd say they are equally adept as passers. Young had more assists at Notre Dame, but that's because she became the default point guard, and passing to cutters and shooters was her job. AO's job was to be the primary cutter and shooter, but she has demonstrated very good passing skills on fast breaks (often to Young), on dishing drives, and on alley oops to Turner.

To me, AO has more of the right skills necessary to be a successful shooting guard, and Young isn't big enough to be a paint player.

Jackie Young does a lot of things very well. She can be the 1/2/3/4/5 option (option, not position), depending on what her team needs. She can score (55.4 eFG%, 59.5 TS%), she can facilitate (23.4% AST), she rebounds very well for a guard, especially on the offensive end (9.3% ORBr, 13.8% DRBr), and she is a very good defender. Young also has good size for her position (6-0).

But she does not have the explosiveness of Arike Ogunbowale or the ability to be as consistently dominant offensively -- at least, to date, Young has not shown that the way Arike has.

If a coach tells a player, "The game is tied. Go get me a bucket," Ogunbowale is the person I would pick to have the ball in that situation, not Young.

Young would a great third piece on a young team with two potential stars. Ogunbowale, IMHO, has the potential to be one of those stars.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/19 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Julian Andrews (Wolves/Lynx staff reporter) mock draft
https://lynx.wnba.com/news/wnba-mock-draft-2019-who-will-the-lynx-select-in-the-first-round/

No. 1, Las Vegas Aces – Teaira McCowan
No. 2, New York Liberty – Asia Durr
No. 3, Indiana Fever – Jackie Young
No. 4, Chicago Sky – Kristine Anigwe
No. 5, Dallas Wings — Napheesa Collier
No. 6, Minnesota Lynx — Arike Ogunbowale
No. 7, Los Angeles Sparks—Katie Lou Samuelson
No. 8, Phoenix Mercury – Alanna Smith
No. 9, Connecticut Sun – Kalani Brown
No. 10, Washington Mystics – Sophie Cunningham
No. 11, Atlanta Dream – Jessica Shepard
No. 12, Seattle Storm – Megan Gustafson

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces likely to make Jackie Young first pick

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sparks-wnba-draft-20190409-story.html

Quote:
After the announcement, ESPN and CBS Sports changed their WNBA draft projections. Young is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick. The Las Vegas Aces have the first pick again this spring after selecting center A’ja Wilson at No. 1 overall last year. Louisville guard Asia Durr is projected to be drafted second.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-wnba-mock-draft-las-vegas-aces-take-young-with-no-1-pick/

Quote:
Just a few days removed from Baylor's thrilling victory over Notre Dame in the 2019 NCAA women's national championship game, it's now time for the 2019 WNBA Draft. Such is the nature of the women's basketball calendar, which seemingly never stops.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]Aces likely to make Jackie Young first pick

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sparks-wnba-draft-20190409-story.html

Quote:
After the announcement, ESPN and CBS Sports changed their WNBA draft projections. Young is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick. The Las Vegas Aces have the first pick again this spring after selecting center A’ja Wilson at No. 1 overall last year. Louisville guard Asia Durr is projected to be drafted second.
[/

This article is a bit strange. If LV wants Young, it seems to me that they could trade down, and still get her b/c I don't think NY, Indy, and probably Chicago would take her. Young is a younger version of Las Vegas' Tamara Young ; great athlete; shaky shooter (though Young actually has gotten better).
The article says the Sparks "have no holes to fill". Well the front line is top notch, even without Cambage, but the perimeter of Pratt, Beard, Sims, and presumably Gray has one 3 point shooter (Gray), and one real playmaker (Gray again) plus Sims is coming off a bad year.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Yes, if you take out a bunch of a player's best shooting games their percentage will drop. Great discovery.

I guess the point I was trying to make went completely over your head Laughing

Mabrey shot 30-90( 33%) in gms versus teams who finished top 25 in the coaches poll (15 gms).How you perform against different levels of competition matters, at least to me.....Mabrey will find it very difficult to get her shot off at the pro level. She shoots a two-handed set shot with very little lift.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/las-vegas-aces-eye-guards-with-no-1-overall-pick-in-wnba-draft-1637355/

Quote:
"She’s slid up into our conversation now,” Aces general manager Dan Padover said Tuesday. “We’ll have to really evaluate that tonight and tomorrow.”

Quote:
The Aces had considered pairing Mississippi State center Teaira McCowan in the frontcourt with Wilson, but since have zeroed in on Durr and Young.

“The most intriguing part about her (Young) is she has a physicality on both sides of the ball that we don’t have on the perimeter,” Padover said. “She can walk in and be a solid WNBA defender that does a lot of little things.

Interesting quotes right here, I feel like they are bluffing. Kill Bill got something up his sleeve, Miss Katie Smith don't be fooled lol

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J. Young is like a younger version of T. Young...so I could see him doing that.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/las-vegas-aces-eye-guards-with-no-1-overall-pick-in-wnba-draft-1637355/

Quote:
"She’s slid up into our conversation now,” Aces general manager Dan Padover said Tuesday. “We’ll have to really evaluate that tonight and tomorrow.”

Quote:
The Aces had considered pairing Mississippi State center Teaira McCowan in the frontcourt with Wilson, but since have zeroed in on Durr and Young.

“The most intriguing part about her (Young) is she has a physicality on both sides of the ball that we don’t have on the perimeter,” Padover said. “She can walk in and be a solid WNBA defender that does a lot of little things.

Interesting quotes right here, I feel like they are bluffing. Kill Bill got something up his sleeve, Miss Katie Smith don't be fooled lol

Katie played for Laimbeer for six years and was his assistant for four. You would hope that she has insight into his behavior. This is also where new GM Jonathan Kolb has to help her out. Don't make any trades. Call his bluff. If Bill takes Durr, then so be it. Getting "stuck" with McCowan isn't the worst thing in the world since NY needs a center. Or trade down yourself and take one of the other perimete players. Just don't panic.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be in the mercury minority here, but if we take Smith with KLS still on the board, I’m going to be pissed.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/10/19 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young at 1 does make everything sort of fall into place

not a mock

1. LV Young 2. NY Durr 3. Indy McCowan 4. Chi Anigwe 5. Dallas Brown 6. Minn Collier
7. LA Ogunbowale 8. PX Smith 9. Conn KLS 10. Was Cuningham 11, Atl Howard 12. Sea Gustafson or Carleton

All of those players seem to match the team, the coach and need to a certain extent IMO

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

Maybe LV is preparing for a trade with Dallas in which they get their #5 pick in return, and are trying to pump up a couple players so the player they are targeting falls... Shocked Idea

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

I guess the point I was trying to make went completely over your head Laughing

Mabrey shot 30-90( 33%) in gms versus teams who finished top 25 in the coaches poll (15 gms).How you perform against different levels of competition matters, at least to me.....Mabrey will find it very difficult to get her shot off at the pro level. She shoots a two-handed set shot with very little lift.

Or maybe it's just the natural variance of 3poinr shooting?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The mocks that have Dallas choosing Kalani Brown at #5 Laughing

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Young at 1 does make everything sort of fall into place

not a mock

1. LV Young 2. NY Durr 3. Indy McCowan 4. Chi Anigwe 5. Dallas Brown 6. Minn Collier
7. LA Ogunbowale 8. PX Smith 9. Conn KLS 10. Was Cuningham 11, Atl Howard 12. Sea Gustafson or Carleton

All of those players seem to match the team, the coach and need to a certain extent IMO

If you're Cheryl, you take Collier at #6 over Arike? Hard to imagine that happening.

Kalani has finally shot up in the mocks. I think Dallas would want her at #5 assuming she's still on the board.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I may be in the mercury minority here, but if we take Smith with KLS still on the board, I’m going to be pissed.

Everyone seems so high on Alanna Smith - she's a good player but I would put her more in the second round category. Do Stanford/Mercury fans think she compares at all to Kayla Pederson? She was the 7th pick back in 2011 and considered a greater talent if I'm not mistaken.

Still don't see Cunningham worth a #10 pick. Would take Brianna Turner over her if I'm Washington.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 72 of 74

Jump to: