RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in the world would anybody draft Laksa? She's got a torn ACL and isn't any good anyway?

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Why in the world would anybody draft Laksa? She's got a torn ACL and isn't any good anyway?

And was granted another year of eligibility and decided to use it so isn't even available to be drafted.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:

And was granted another year of eligibility and decided to use it so isn't even available to be drafted.

Source?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:

Source?

I am pretty sure I read that somewhere in this thread. Maybe I misunderstood

Its at the top of page 63 of this thread Laska herself on twitter

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Danielle Lerner mock draft
https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3387330002

1. Las Vegas Aces: Asia Durr
2. New York Liberty: Jackie Young
3. Indiana Fever: Teaira McCowan
4. Chicago Sky: Napheesa Collier
5. Dallas Wings: Kalani Brown
6. Minnesota Lynx: Alanna Smith
7. Los Angeles Sparks: Kristine Anigwe
8. Phoenix Mercury: Megan Gustafson
9. Connecticut Sun: Katie Lou Samuelson
10. Washington Mystics: Sophie Cunningham
11. Atlanta Dream: Arike Ogunbowale
12. Seattle Storm: Jessica Shepard

Randy

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Danielle Lerner mock draft
https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3387330002

1. Las Vegas Aces: Asia Durr
2. New York Liberty: Jackie Young
3. Indiana Fever: Teaira McCowan
5. Dallas Wings: Kalani Brown
6. Minnesota Lynx: Alanna Smith
7. Los Angeles Sparks: Kristine Anigwe
8. Phoenix Mercury: Megan Gustafson
9. Connecticut Sun: Katie Lou Samuelson
11. Atlanta Dream: Arike Ogunbowale
12. Seattle Storm: Jessica Shepard

Draft Site also has Arike going to the Dream. If only......

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would someone who has watched Notre Dame frequently (as I have) explain why they would choose Jackie Young over Arike Ogunbowale for a guard position in the WNBA. Specifically, what guard skills does Young have over AO?

In my opinion, AO is the superior 3pt shooter, mid-range shooter, self-creating driver, explosive ball handler, and consistently clutch performer. Indeed, Young is a reluctant 3pt shooter. Most of Young's drives and pull-up jumpers are created off of (what Debbie Antonelli calls) Notre Dame's excellent drag screens, or because driving lanes open up for her when defenses focus their attention on ND's shooters and bigs. AO can come off screens, too, but can also self-create drives and shots with dynamic crossovers, dekes and jukes.

Young is a better rebounder, but I'm not sure that's particularly important for a WNBA guard. Young may be somewhat better defender.

I'd say they are equally adept as passers. Young had more assists at Notre Dame, but that's because she became the default point guard, and passing to cutters and shooters was her job. AO's job was to be the primary cutter and shooter, but she has demonstrated very good passing skills on fast breaks (often to Young), on dishing drives, and on alley oops to Turner.

To me, AO has more of the right skills necessary to be a successful shooting guard, and Young isn't big enough to be a paint player.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final mock with Young
just 2 rounds and a little

1. LV McCowan
2. NY Durr
3. INDY Brown
4. CHI Anigwe
5. DALLAS Young
6. MINN Collier
7. LA Ogunbowale
8. PX Smith
9. CONN KLS
10 WAS Cuningham
11. ATL Howard
12. SEA Gustafson

13. PX Magbegor
14. NY Han Xu
15. CHI Carleton
16. MINN Shepard
17. DALLAS Turner
18. MINN Dillard
19. LA Kea
20. MINN Li Yueru
21. CONN Heideman
22. DALLAS C. Jackson
23. ATL Robinson
24. SEA Cazorla

25. INDY Blockton
26. NY Mabrey or Davenport

canadaball

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just posted on twitter: #UPDATE: Yes Liz Cambage was in LA today. However, I just had it confirmed that she has NOT been traded. She‘s still under contract with the Dallas Wings at this time. So if there’s a trade it will be during/after draft since the pre draft trade deadline has passed.

This means that the #1 pick (LV); #5 Dallas; and #7 LA are all suspect on draft day b/c I don't think any trades can be executed.

Last edited by canadaball on 04/08/19 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice job J-Spoon

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I continue to be really torn on who I want Indiana to draft. The remaining big (especially if it is Brown) is tempting. On the other hand, Young has such a great combination of skills that I really like. On the other hand, a not small part of me expects Collier to be the best player to come out of this draft.

Gah!!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Just posted on twitter: #UPDATE: Yes Liz Cambage was in LA today. However, I just had it confirmed that she has NOT been traded. She‘s still under contract with the Dallas Wings at this time. So if there’s a trade it will be during/after draft since the pre draft trade deadline has passed.

This means that the #1 pick (LV); #5 Dallas; and #7 LA are all suspect on draft day b/c I don't think any trades can be executed.

Shes there for coachella nothing basketball related. I do believe there's a high possibilty a draft day trade could still happen but less likely with Ionescu staying. *Fingers crossed* maybe afterwards id rather get it over with already....for the right price Cool

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As the WNBA draft approaching, Chinese young prospects Han Xu and Li Yueru will be both staying in China this summer with the national team regardless the draft outcome, sources told ESPN.

There you go, Reeve. A couple of nice deferrals so you don’t have to waste your multiple late round picks on players that won’t make the team anyway.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/09/19 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
As the WNBA draft approaching, Chinese young prospects Han Xu and Li Yueru will be both staying in China this summer with the national team regardless the draft outcome, sources told ESPN.

There you go, Reeve. A couple of nice deferrals so you don’t have to waste your multiple late round picks on players that won’t make the team anyway.

Xu Han just dropped to one of Minnesota's picks now.always had Yueru going in the third round

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Rose from Newsday mock draft
https://www.newsday.com/amp/sports/women-s-sports/wnba-mock-draft-1.29592428

1. Las Vegas Aces: Teaira McCowan
2. Liberty: Asia Durr
3. Indiana Fever: Kristine Anigwe
5. Dallas Wings: Jackie Young
6. Minnesota Lynx: Arike Ogunbowale
7. Los Angeles Sparks: Katie Lou Samuelson
8. Phoenix Mercury: Alanna Smith
9. Connecticut Sun: Kalani Brown
11. Atlanta Dream: Jessica Shepard
12. Seattle Storm: Bridget Carleton

chinafan

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
chinafan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Chinese prospect Han Xu uncertain for WNBA due to national team duty

The problem is FIBA still hasn't released its 2019 schedule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_qualification

If China qualifies for 2020, which is quite likely, I'd say her chance of playing in the WNBA next year is even slimmer.

So why is she even bothering showing up to train in the USA now if she might not even be available for two years? She should just take canadaball’s “great” advice and go undrafted.

Ifthe Chinese NT was smart they would let her play in the WNBA. She'd probably learn more assuming that she would actually make a team. Wonder if this impacts the Chinese player the Dream signed.

If Park Jisu can make the WNBA, I don't see any reason why Han can't.

Actually China NT has started training back in early February right after the Chinese New Year's. The fact that it let Han stay in the US all this time is already indicative of its support. (Actually there are 4 other main players in the US right now, including Sun Mengran, but not including Li Yueru who is with the NT.) Problem is, as I've said, is that FIBA still hasn't released its qualifying schedule for Asia. We don't know if China will be facing Japan or Australia, neither, or (hopefully not!) both, since there will be (at least according to Wikipedia,) 2 different Asian-Pacific qualifying tournaments for the 4 Olympic spots. If neither, then I think it's pretty certain China will qualify without Han, and I can't imagine anyone holding her back. The other scenarios are IMO too risky for China to not have its best players.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chinafan wrote:
If Park Jisu can make the WNBA, I don't see any reason why Han can't.

Actually China NT has started training back in early February right after the Chinese New Year's. The fact that it let Han stay in the US all this time is already indicative of its support. (Actually there are 4 other main players in the US right now, including Sun Mengran, but not including Li Yueru who is with the NT.) Problem is, as I've said, is that FIBA still hasn't released its qualifying schedule for Asia. We don't know if China will be facing Japan or Australia, neither, or (hopefully not!) both, since there will be (at least according to Wikipedia,) 2 different Asian-Pacific qualifying tournaments for the 4 Olympic spots. If neither, then I think it's pretty certain China will qualify without Han, and I can't imagine anyone holding her back. The other scenarios are IMO too risky for China to not have its best players.

FIBA have said that the Olympic pre-qualifying tournaments are going to be in November 2019, so the WNBA season would be well out of the way by then. You'd need to be in the top-8 at the Asia Cup to qualify for those, but even that isn't scheduled to start until September 22nd, a couple of weeks after the latest possible finish for the WNBA season (and the China under-15 team could probably finish top-8 at the Asia Cup anyway).

Them not showing up this year would worry me a little that they could miss future seasons for whatever minimal reason, but wouldn't drop them far down my draft board. Like I said before, Han in particular could use another year or two of development anyway.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
chinafan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Chinese prospect Han Xu uncertain for WNBA due to national team duty

The problem is FIBA still hasn't released its 2019 schedule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_qualification

If China qualifies for 2020, which is quite likely, I'd say her chance of playing in the WNBA next year is even slimmer.

So why is she even bothering showing up to train in the USA now if she might not even be available for two years? She should just take canadaball’s “great” advice and go undrafted.

Is it up to her to go undrafted?

I know for the NBA, an undrafted player makes a few million less in his rookie year than a first rounder, but I don't think that's the case in the WNBA is it? If not, then going undrafted isn't such a terrible thing if the main concern is unavailability.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, it’s not her choice. I was being sarcastic because she’s getting all this press for being enthusiastic about the WNBA and then saying she won’t show up. Teams don’t need players who just want the hype of being associated with the WNBA. They need players that’ll show up.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://sports-regime.com/2019/04/08/wnba-mock-draft-first-round/

12. Seattle Storm: Briana Turner

Curious to see what Seattle will do if Brianna Turner and Jessica Shepard are still on the board at #12. Ideally, the team would seek to acquire some depth, perhaps someone who could play next to both Breanna Stewart and Natasha Howard, when one of the aforementioned two (Stewart and Howard) is on the bench (and, as an aside, Crystal Langhorne turns 33 this year).

Alternatively, the team could look to see if a potential future replacement for Alysha Clark at the wing can be found, though the draft appears to have better post options at #12 in this draft.

If both Turner and Shepard are on board, it will be interesting to see which way the franchise goes (assuming one of the two is selected by the Storm).

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turner is a significantly better WNBA prospect than Shepard imo. I'd draft her last of all the ND starters.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Turner is a significantly better WNBA prospect than Shepard imo. I'd draft her last of all the ND starters.

Very last? What about Mabry

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Very last? What about Mabry

I don't have questions about Mabrey being able to play in the WNBA like I do about Shepard. There are 12 teams in this league that want shooters.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're one of those who believes the quality of a draft is correlated to the number of Aries, then this looks like a very strong draft. Anigwe, Brown, and Durr are all under that sign.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft Diary of Megan Gustafson
https://apnews.com/df8ad62b3da84111b9e0f0738319d6a4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 71 of 74

Jump to: