RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/30/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Gonna disagree with other Uconn fans here. She only played the 3 at Uconn, because Uconn had Gabby and Collier, and no real guard depth. I expect she’ll play the four in the pros, and is similar in style to Delle Donne and Stewart. But agree that she definitely needs to get stronger.

Are you suggesting that Williams (5-11) and Collier (6-1) could only function as post players, thereby forcing Samuelson to SF in order to accommodate them? That sure doesn't bode well for Gabby or Napheesa at the pro level. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/30/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Did you see her play in High School? If anything she's more of a 2-guard than she is a 4. Not an interior player at this level or any other, IMO.

I think they'll all be 3s in the long-run, especially if Collier really is only 6-1.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/30/18 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
What is KLS at WNBA level - a 3 or a 4? Because very few players are genuinely both, especially when they first turn pro. And if she's mostly a 4, that obviously presents some issues for certain teams (like Vegas, for example, if you see her as an option at #1).

I doubt she's going to be anyone's #1 option . KLS should play the 3. Her playing the 4 in the WNBA with that frame is worse than having Gabby play their.

Lou is a 3. She can't play PF in college, nor has she ever, so she certainly can't play it in the W. Lou is a tall shooter who sees the floor well, can set up teammates and can be sort of a point forward. She also does very well posting up smaller guards. She will do well in the W, but has to get stronger, IMO.

Fair enough. It won't matter if she's good enough offensively, as we've seen with star scorers in the past, but can she guard anyone? The size/length will help, obviously, but not if everyone goes right by her.

_____________x

PostPosted: 08/30/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
KLS was a better defender than the other guards being considered last year and she played on torn ankle ligaments. She is a smart defender who uses her length and knows the angles and scout. She had lead in taking charges also which shows she has heart. She is perfect when teams try to do pick and rolls as she can switch from guard to post with another big and makes it difficult for smaller guards to see. Interesting you single her out when the other guards are terrible defenders hmmm.

Switching from Guard to Post like say BG or Sylvia Fowles or possibly Cambage would be a horrible idea. Footspeed wise she's no where near the defender of Kia Nurse or Gabby williams so not sure about this analysis . She is however a better offensive player in my mind than either. Well im not sure about Nurse after her rookie year Laughing

PostPosted: 08/30/18 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Geno has been trying to get LouConn ready for the pro’s by posting her up, and he thought he could turn her in to Stewart, but LouConn ain’t no stewie. I can’t think of a shooter who was that tall but could really hit from deep maybe Shameka Christon but she was listed only 6’1. I think Lou would be a good 3rd option on a team, and should be taken in the 5-10 range of the draft, anyone who thinks she should go number 1 is a Uconn fan. I still think she and Collier will be all stars at some point but I don’t see them going in the lottery. Durr and the quality guard from notre dame has the tools and athleticism needed to try and become decent defenders.

I support this message 100% #PraiseHands

PostPosted: 08/30/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Shocked Did you see her play in High School? If anything she's more of a 2-guard than she is a 4. Not an interior player at this level or any other, IMO.

I think they'll all be 3s in the long-run, especially if Collier really is only 6-1.

+1 High school she was more a 2 or Lead guard as well . Agreed

PostPosted: 08/31/18 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 WNBA Mock Draft Big Board: Version 1.0
https://highposthoops.com/2018/08/30/2019-wnba-mock-draft-big-board-version-1-0/

1. Las Vegas Aces: Katie Lou Samuelson, 6’3 G/F, Connecticut
2. New York Liberty: Teaira McCowan, 6’7 C, Mississippi State
Quote:
McCowan is already in WNBA shape. She showed an ability to play her best on the biggest stage, obliterating the record for rebounds in an NCAA tournament in 2018. And while there’s reason to think she has even more potential in her, from free throw rate to passing out of double teams, both her block and rebound percentage already dwarf those of Brown’s.

3. Indiana Fever: Kalani Brown, 6’7 C, Baylor
4. Chicago Sky: Asia Durr, 5’10 G, Louisville
5. Dallas Wings: Sophie Cunningham, 6’1 G/F, Missouri
6. Minnesota: Arike Ogunbowale, 5’8 G, Notre Dame
7. Los Angeles Sparks: Ezi Magbegor, 6’4 F/C, Australia
8. Phoenix Mercury: Jessica Shepard, 6’4 F, Notre Dame
9. Connecticut Sun: Napheesa Collier, 6’1 F, Connecticut
Quote:
Collier represents a possible Alyssa Thomas-in-training

10. Washington Mystics: Kitija Laksa, 6′ F, South Florida
11. Atlanta Dream: Marina Mabrey, G, Notre Dame
12. Seattle Storm: Brianna Turner, 6’3 F/C, Notre Dame

Megdal really changes things up from his original draft ranking in April, not even acknowledging Cunningham or Magbegor in his Top 20 back then to now putting both in the mid-first round. Apparently he needed some help figuring that out. Wink

His reasoning for putting KLS #1 is because LVA is in last place for three point shots taken. But what Megdal fails to realize is they are in last place because that’s the style Laimbeer wants to play. Plum would take a three point shot every trip down the floor (think Skylar Diggins) if Laimbeer would let her, but he wants to play in the paint, get the ball to his main man Wilson and draw fouls. McBride isn’t exactly a stranger to three point shooting either. And what does Laimbeer value more than three point shooting? Defense. So is a poor defender going to take over Tamera Young’s job? That would be interesting to see. I suppose KLS would be a huge upgrade to Nared as an offensive spark off the bench, but you don’t spend #1 on that role. If you look at Megdal’s positive points for McCowan, that’s what Laimbeer likes in the position be needs the most.

I’m not sure why Agler would want another young international post after just drafting one this season. I think he’ll mix things up this time. But maybe he’ll feel an obligation to keep Magbegor away from PHX. Thanks, Aggie.

I see no similarities between Collier and Alyssa Thomas. Has anybody ever seen Collier take a defensive rebound and charge down the length of the court? That’s Thomas’ trademark.

He still has Mabrey in the first round. I have a feeling that will be his stubborn unwavering pick of the year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/31/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People continuously disrespect my team Laughing WTF first Marina Mabrey , now SOPHIE Cunningham ? GTFOH Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/31/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want MM either

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/31/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everything he said about Mabrey is what the wings need IMO, no I wouldn’t take her top 4, but 5-10 sounds good to me.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/31/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everything he said about Mabrey is what the wings need IMO, no I wouldn’t take her top 4, but 5-10 sounds good to me.

Hell no ....let it go

PostPosted: 09/01/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7B2DHVxDUE0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is kind of a Durr vs McCowan game.

Louisville prospects
Durr #25 - Most likely Top 5. Played all 45 min of this OT game.
Fuehring #3 - Stretch five. Had defensive duty on McCowan. Since Mississippi St plays straight man defense, she’d frequently draw McCowan away from the basket. She could go third round.

Mississippi St prospects
McCowan #15 Most likely Top 5. Played all 45 min of this OT game, and she was still making plays at the end of the game. How common is that for 6’7?
Danberry #24 - Quick guard of the defensive nature. Assigned to contain Durr in this game. Came up with an important strip of Durr down the stretch in OT. Probably won’t get drafted but might be worth keeping an eye out for her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/01/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note the number of assists Durr had in 45 minutes.

PostPosted: 09/01/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big T had high turn over numbers, but she was money from the free throw line for a Big, I still think Brown would be the better fit with Wilson though.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/01/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Hell no ....let it go

If MM goes in the first round and Brianna Turner doesn't Laughing That's ok though, a lot of teams will regret passing on her much like Tiffany Hayes. The Mercury, Mystics, Sun, Fever, Liberty, and the Lynx Shocked all passed on her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kinda fun to see this one again. My takeaways.
Louisville is going to be very good this year.
VViv was the best player on the floor.
Durr reminds me a bit of a young Toliver.
McCowan is big. While it's impressive she played every minute, she basically never broke out of a slow trot the whole time. I actually came away thinking she was worse than I remembered in terms of being able to play at the next level. She doesn't have very good hands. She misses anything that is not point blank, and even some of those. Zero footwork. Mobile posts will be going around her like she is standing still. Big posts will be drawing fouls on her. I've been thinking she was #2 behind Brown. Now I'm not sure. I'm not even sure she's better than Hamblin. The good thing is that she's hard to move out of the post for rebounding purposes. That I think is her niche. Maybe like a younger Swords, but I think Swords has more skill than her. Maybe like a bigger Stokes but I think Stokes has more skill than her. Can she learn? Well she's clearly better than she was a couple of years ago. EEE, not sure. Need to see more. No way is she a #1 pick.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 09/01/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big T had high turn over numbers

If you watch the game, one of the TO’s is a nudge to the back from a Louisville defender to push her out of bounds. Louisville was very physical with McCowan (ala, Louisville vs Griner), although McCowan seems more capable of taking the abuse than Griner. I could only remember one bad McCowan turnover, which was leading too far in an outlet pass.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/01/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this in the Liberty thread, but it really belongs here ... FWIW.

-----

The success of Diamond DeShields should help Kristen Anigwe's draft stock, as DeShields showed that issues in college don't necessarily translate to the WNBA.

And it could be that a different coach will make a big difference for Anigwe ...

I'm not as convinced about the impact of the double- and triple-teams because a college double team isn't that much different than being guarded by Griner or Fowles or any accomplished WNBA post defender.

It would help Anigwe greatly if she had a little more perimeter game, and defended without fouling quite as much, but neither of those are necessarily permanent issues.

All in all, she's a very solid roll of the dice around seven or eight, I'd say, and if someone feels they can do more with her, DeShields' success might convince that someone to pick her even higher.

PostPosted: 09/01/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Louisville is going to be very good this year.

Mississippi St looks to be very good again this year. Three Finals appearances in a row?

myrtle wrote:

VViv was the best player on the floor.

Are you suggesting a Top 5 team should trade their pick for Vivians? Surprised

myrtle wrote:
Durr reminds me a bit of a young Toliver.

Durr looks a bit stronger to me. I dunno... didn’t Toliver win a championship as a freshman through clutch play? Durr kinda whimpered out of this game.

Aren’t you going to draw the defense card on Durr? Being a little lenient on her for some reason.

myrtle wrote:
McCowan is big. While it's impressive she played every minute, she basically never broke out of a slow trot the whole time.

Myrtle, if you know you’re going to be needed the whole game, are you going to do sprints down the court when it’s not even the type of game they play? I don’t find her particularly slow for her size, and definitely not slower than Brown. If Brown were to attempt 45 min in a game, you’d have to call the EMT.

myrtle wrote:
She doesn't have very good hands. She misses anything that is not point blank, and even some of those.

I seemed to recall decent hands against Oregon, who had no answer for her. I wonder if I can find footage of that game.

myrtle wrote:
Zero footwork.

Oh, the footwork card. They ran a couple sets to her. I saw footwork. Nobody better than Laimbeer to teach her more.

myrtle wrote:
Mobile posts will be going around her like she is standing still.

Unlike other bigs of her size? Fuehring and Hindes-Allen were a combined 6-24 in this game. Not too much damage from the mobile posts.

Defense is a team game, so a situation like that can be fixed by a good coach.

myrtle wrote:
Big posts will be drawing fouls on her.

Actually big posts seem to prefer going against other big posts. In this game, she only drew 1 foul in 45 min. Let’s go with facts instead of smears.

myrtle wrote:
I've been thinking she was #2 behind Brown. Now I'm not sure. I'm not even sure she's better than Hamblin.

Geez, taking this a bit too far. You want to be so right about Brown without even making a case for her other than to say “she is better”. Maybe you can show video of her Final Four appearances? Oh wait, I don’t think there are any.

myrtle wrote:
The good thing is that she's hard to move out of the post for rebounding purposes. That I think is her niche.

Mighty nice niche. 13 offensive rebounds in this game. Pretty much unheard of, and that led to a lot of offense.

myrtle wrote:
Maybe like a younger Swords, but I think Swords has more skill than her.

I would hope so. How long has Swords been in the league?

myrtle wrote:
Maybe like a bigger Stokes but I think Stokes has more skill than her.

You’ll have to expand on that.

myrtle wrote:
Need to see more.

Yes, maybe. You’re acting like this the first time seeing her even though you already formulated a negative opinion.

myrtle wrote:
No way is she a #1 pick.

We’ll see about that. If she’s not, I doubt Brown is either.

Did you forget Durr was in this game? Is she #1? No knocks on her?

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just an opinion m'dear. You have yours and I have mine. I've admitted that mine isn't based on a lot of viewing - neither McCowan or Brown. Just an impression. If I were doing the drafting, there would be a whole lot more viewing before the big day.

As for Durr, comparing her to Toliver isn't exactly recommending her as a#2 draft pick either. Toliver is good but not great. Her defense is suspect. She makes some big buckets and she disappears totally sometimes. I think NY taking her at #2 would be a huge stretch since both Prince and Sugar have many of the same qualities and Sugar at least is a better defender.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out this year in the college season. We've got miles to go before the draft.

- Amanda Gorman
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/01/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's just an opinion m'dear. You have yours and I have mine. I've admitted that mine isn't based on a lot of viewing - neither McCowan or Brown. Just an impression. If I were doing the drafting, there would be a whole lot more viewing before the big day.

As for Durr, comparing her to Toliver isn't exactly recommending her as a#2 draft pick either. Toliver is good but not great. Her defense is suspect. She makes some big buckets and she disappears totally sometimes. I think NY taking her at #2 would be a huge stretch since both Prince and Sugar have many of the same qualities and Sugar at least is a better defender.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out this year in the college season. We've got miles to go before the draft.

It doesn’t take much viewing to realize that Brown is a better player than McCowan at this point. She’s more versatile offensively, has superior hands, and has proven she can play with similarly sized and skilled post players without getting in the way (which means she’d be a much better compliment to Wilson than McCowan).

The Hamblin comparison is interesting, because despite her shortcomings athletically Hamblin was/is frankly the smarter player and understood positioning and angles better. She also had more range than McCowan. That’s not to say McCowan can’t improve, but at this point she’s not worth a #1 pick.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 09/02/18 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now, KLS (Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn) is the number one pick and will be the 2019 Rookie of the Year, unless she gets hurt.

You don't have to have a giant in the post to win, especially if she is slow or clumsy. And, 2-guards can win games but won't/can't carry a team.

Write it down!

Shades

PostPosted: 09/02/18 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are only two situations I can think of that might make KLS the #1 pick:
1) Laimbeer trades the pick.
2) KLS suddenly becomes great at defense so much so that her defense would also project well to the WNBA level. That I’d like to see but not holding my breath.

She’s been rehabbing all summer from her ankle surgery in April, so that’s a lot of missed time and opportunity she could have been training and improving her game.

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships."

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/02/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There are only two situations I can think of that might make KLS the #1 pick:
1) Laimbeer trades the pick.
2) KLS suddenly becomes great at defense so much so that her defense would also project well to the WNBA level. That I’d like to see but not holding my breath.

She’s been rehabbing all summer from her ankle surgery in April, so that’s a lot of missed time and opportunity she could have been training and improving her game.

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships."

Agreed....

PostPosted: 09/02/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don’t agree with the last quote? Pat Summitt said that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 8 of 74

Jump to: