RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that NCAA tournament player and team performance may play a bigger role in the draft order than in recent seasons due to the fact that there's no clear cut top 7 or 8 players. If underclassmen like Slocum, Young, or Mompremier have great tournaments, their draft especially in the case of Slocum and Young, could go in the top half of the 1st round. Could the one of both of the UConn seniors go in the top five in the win the NC?

Last edited by Davis4632 on 03/19/19 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
I believe that NCAA tournament player and team performance may play a bigger role in the draft order than in recent seasons due to the fact that there's no clear cut top 7 or 8 players.

I agree this will happen for a select few of players. I don't believe player's like McCowan , Durr , Arike or Collier can do anything to hurt or improve their positions . they've been solid all year and you know what to expect. Gustaffson could be added to this list as well but she and Anigwe have the most to gain in my opinion with the competition they will face in their regionalis simulating WNBA talent.

PostPosted: 03/20/19 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure shooting in the 30's and 20's from 3 is solid in their ACC tournament but...

PostPosted: 03/20/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teaira McCowan is center of attention in women's NCAA tournament
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26296530/teaira-mccowan-center-attention-women-ncaa-tournament

Quote:
Schaefer doesn't dwell much on McCowan's departure, either, but thinks she's ready for pro ball.

"She really knows the game, and is thinking ahead," Schaefer said. "She has great feet defensively; she will surprise people with how well she can defend out on the perimeter.

"At the same time, they're going to be surprised with what she can do offensively facing the rim. She hasn't done that a lot for us, but the kid's got a beautiful shot."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/20/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
I believe that NCAA tournament player and team performance may play a bigger role in the draft order than in recent seasons due to the fact that there's no clear cut top 7 or 8 players. If underclassmen like Slocum, Young, or Mompremier have great tournaments, their draft especially in the case of Slocum and Young, could go in the top half of the 1st round. Could the one of both of the UConn seniors go in the top five in the win the NC?

Just my opinion...If UConn wins the NC, God will draft them for his team. Although, miracles have been known to happen.

canadaball

PostPosted: 03/20/19 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Teaira McCowan is center of attention in women's NCAA tournament
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26296530/teaira-mccowan-center-attention-women-ncaa-tournament

Quote:
Schaefer doesn't dwell much on McCowan's departure, either, but thinks she's ready for pro ball.

"She really knows the game, and is thinking ahead," Schaefer said. "She has great feet defensively; she will surprise people with how well she can defend out on the perimeter.

"At the same time, they're going to be surprised with what she can do offensively facing the rim. She hasn't done that a lot for us, but the kid's got a beautiful shot."

There are some interesting sidelights to this draft. When one surveys the next few draft classes, there do not appear to be monster types like Brown and McCowan. Brown's teammate Cox is a great college player, but 3" shorter. My thinking is that, for some needy WNBA teams, this is the last chance in the next few years to get a big, strong inside force. I think that Durr, for example, is more solid as a future successful pro, but 2 guards are a dime a dozen in the W. I wonder if some team out there will pass up surer talent on the perimeter for one of these bigs. The negative is that the NCAA's are so bereft of challenging bigs, it is hard to judge these 2. It does, however, seem Indiana must take one of these 2 monsters, even if a better outside player is available.b/c it is last chance for years to come.

stever

PostPosted: 03/21/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WNBA prospects who are primed to increase their draft stock during the NCAA tourney

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2019/3/21/18271986/wnba-2019-ncaaw-tournament-prospects-primed-to-increase-draft-stock-megan-gustafson#comments

Shades

PostPosted: 03/21/19 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2019 WNBA MOCK DRAFT 3.0: PRE-NCAA TOURNAMENT EDITION
https://www.bball-index.com/2019-wnba-mock-draft-3-0-pre-ncaa-tournament-edition/
Check link for explanations.

1. LAS VEGAS ACES: SABRINA IONESCU*
2. NEW YORK LIBERTY: JACKIE YOUNG*
3. INDIANA FEVER: KALANI BROWN
4. CHICAGO SKY: ALANNA SMITH
5. DALLAS WINGS: ASIA DURR
I guess it could work, but is Cambage playing or not?
6. MINNESOTA LYNX: KRISTINE ANIGWE
This guy must really hate McCowan
7. LOS ANGELES SPARKS: KATIE LOU SAMUELSON
8. PHOENIX MERCURY: NAPHEESA COLLIER
9. CONNECTICUT SUN: BRIDGET CARLETON
10. WASHINGTON MYSTICS: KENNEDY BURKE
WTF? Well, it is Thibault....
11. ATLANTA DREAM: ARIKE OGUNBOWALE
12. SEATTLE STORM: MEGAN HUFF
This guy must be a Pac-head. I’ll leave it at that. Look at all the Pac players, all of them too high.... except for Ionescu

13. PHOENIX MERCURY: SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM
14. NEW YORK LIBERTY: TEAIRA MCCOWAN
Every Liberty fan should be doing backflips if this actually happened. It’s so ridiculous.
15. CHICAGO SKY: CIERRA DILLARD
16. MINNESOTA LYNX: CALIYA ROBINSON
Megan, please
17. DALLAS WINGS: MEGAN GUSTAFSON
18. MINNESOTA LYNX: MAITE CAZORLA
There are better PG options
19. LOS ANGELES SPARKS: PRESLEY HUDSON
20. MINNESOTA LYNX: KIARA LESLIE
How many players are going to show up to Lynx camp?
21. CONNECTICUT SUN: EZI MAGBEGOR
Quite the bargain, I would say
22. DALLAS WINGS: MEME JACKSON
23. ATLANTA DREAM: MORGAN BERTSCH
Definitely must be a west coast guy
24. SEATTLE STORM: HAN XU
She’s in the USA training, and she falls this low as a result?

25. INDIANA FEVER: MARINA MABREY
26. NEW YORK LIBERTY: PARIS KEA
Root-approved
27. CHICAGO SKY: ZALA FRISKOVEC
A deferral? Maybe a good idea for 5-draft pick Lynx?
28. INDIANA FEVER: BRIANNA TURNER
29. DALLAS WINGS: JESSICA SHEPARD
He’s really disliking ND players Surprised
30. MINNESOTA LYNX: ANRIEL HOWARD
Another bargain. Is she really not better than Kiara Leslie chosen in the second round?
31. LOS ANGELES SPARKS: NATISHA HIEDEMAN
At least he knows how to spell her name
32. PHOENIX MERCURY: TIMA POUYE
33. CONNECTICUT SUN: TAYLOR EMERY
34. WASHINGTON MYSTICS: ALIYAH MAZYCK
35. ATLANTA DREAM: NAOMI DAVENPORT
36. SEATTLE STORM: GABBY GREEN
More evidence of being a left coast guy.

Last edited by Shades on 03/21/19 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 03/21/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are right - he must hate McCowan. Maybe one the NY fans just got some nitrous oxide and it hasn't worn off yet.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/21/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
You are right - he must hate McCowan. Maybe one the NY fans just got some nitrous oxide and it hasn't worn off yet.

Though I want Anigwe and I made a promise to myself last fall that if Anigwe ends up the Lynx, I shall have nothing bad to say about the Lynx GM for the rest of the year, if not longer. Smile

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/21/19 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any mock draft with McCowan at #14 should never see the light of day. #Periodt

PostPosted: 03/21/19 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty get Young, McCowan, and Kea! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Then reality sets in. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/22/19 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]Any mock draft with McCowan at #14 should never see the light of day. #Periodt[/quote]

I agree re the bigs. I am not a huge fan of either Brown or McCowan as they need work, but taking any other small big over them who have red flags seems very strange. Why would you take small posts, some who can’t pass, struggle shooting or have no bulk whatsoever and not Brown or McCowan. Seems that there has been some real over hyping in this area. There are already plenty of small bigs in the league who already have experience, who are better than these in this draft, and history has shown these type of players become plentiful and are not what most teams need.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/19 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26334637&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 03/22/19 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Two of these players look like they have road rage.

canadaball

PostPosted: 03/22/19 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more I see of Sabrina, the less I like. I know today's game was a laugher, but against a weak sister of the poor backcourt, she just does not impress. Her running mate Cazorla, has much quicker feet. Sure, Ionescu can pass, but she plays at a plodding speed. This whole season she has not played against a high quality backcourt. Last year in the Elite 8, dealing with Arike and Young, she was far from impressive. I just do not see a special player here, locked into WNBA stardom; for my money, Asia Durr, who has been tested by the best guards the NCAA has to offer, has a much better chance to make a mark in the pros.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26337144&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SABRINA'S OBSESSION (Huge ESPN article on Ionescu)
http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/26313520/will-sabrina-ionescu-basketball-obsession-play-oregon-favor

Quote:
Neither Dan Ionescu nor his ex-wife, Liliana Blaj, can explain why basketball is so important to their daughter, why she nearly vomits before games because she wants to win so badly, why she used to watch the older kids practice -- after her own workout -- just so she could learn more.

"Obsedat" is what it would be called in their homeland of Romania. Obsessed.

Quote:
"She sees things and anticipates things that nobody else sees," Ducks associate head coach Mark Campbell said. "I would compare it to Peyton Manning or Steph Curry or Steve Nash."

Quote:
"You can see the passion and love of the game when she plays. There's something different about her. She's just got 'it.' She has a will to win." — Jackie Stiles

Quote:
"Is Sabrina too intense? Yes. But she has to channel it in the right way. You can never be too intense on the basketball court, I don't think, or in practice. And the consistency with which she is intense in games, practice, anything she does on the court, I think, is what sets her apart." —Kelly Graves

I thought this photo they used in the article is a bit foreshadowing.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little NYL draft tidbit from the article Stever posted.
https://elitesportsny.com/2019/03/23/esny-exclusive-katie-smith-envisions-hopeful-new-york-liberty-future-after-sale/

Quote:
“We have some needs on our team. We need, possibly, a productive (center), we need a playmaking guard,” [Smith] hinted. “Just have to decide who think is the best one at number two. We have some options out there as to what we’re looking for. Some of these college kids are going to be really good pros. We just got to make sure we’re doing our homework and who’s a great fit for us.”

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Any mock draft with McCowan at #14 should never see the light of day. #Periodt

Nor the creator of it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/23/19 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recee Caldwell from Cal

possible 3rd round pick or camp invite if undrafted?

She seems to have the size and court vision to maybe get some consideration. Opinions?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taylor Murray from Kentucky

She seems to be a total pest on defense, enough to maybe get some consideration, but she’s on the short side and not much of a scorer. Opinions?

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/23/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Recee Caldwell from Cal

She seems to have the size and court vision to maybe get some consideration. Opinions?

Caldwell can step up at times, demonstrating leadership ability and a knack for making shots when Cal really needs her. However, Recee lacks quickness and moves somewhat awkwardly. I'd be worried about her on defense. In terms of size, she has a wide body (thick?) but is only 5-8.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26348774&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 56 of 74

Jump to: