RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the post, athleticism and strength can erase skills -- and it seems to me both Gustafson and Smith will have issues dealing with the size, quickness and strength of WNBA post players. Both are very skilled players, but every level you move up, starting in middle school, you have to be concerned that a better athlete (who's not as skilled) will simply take away the skilled player's abilities.

So if you see Gustafson as a starting center, how does she fare against Griner and Fowles? Or even against McCowan and Brown? I'm not saying she won't do well, especially against her classmates, but I don't know that you can win many playoff games if she's playing 30 minutes a night.

Smith's three-point shooting certainly helps, but how's she going to do against Nneka and Chiney and Glory Johnson?

The jump from college to the WNBA is a big one, and weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed by exceptional athletes with lots of experience.

My guess is both Gustafson and Smith will be role players at best, but I've certainly been wrong before.

PostPosted: 03/12/19 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
In the post, athleticism and strength can erase skills -- and it seems to me both Gustafson and Smith will have issues dealing with the size, quickness and strength of WNBA post players. Both are very skilled players, but every level you move up, starting in middle school, you have to be concerned that a better athlete (who's not as skilled) will simply take away the skilled player's abilities.

So if you see Gustafson as a starting center, how does she fare against Griner and Fowles? Or even against McCowan and Brown? I'm not saying she won't do well, especially against her classmates, but I don't know that you can win many playoff games if she's playing 30 minutes a night.

Smith's three-point shooting certainly helps, but how's she going to do against Nneka and Chiney and Glory Johnson?

The jump from college to the WNBA is a big one, and weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed by exceptional athletes with lots of experience.

My guess is both Gustafson and Smith will be role players at best, but I've certainly been wrong before.

PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

May he who is without error cast the first insult.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Fair point, but that can be said about everyone in this draft. Gulich owned Brown in Oregon State’s matchup vs Baylor in the tournament, but couldn’t get off the bench in Phoenix. McCowan was owned by Wilson in every matchup, obviously Aja is Aja but McCowan would be facing more athletic and quicker players as well. Of course there are always surprise performers, but I think this draft is a good one for grabbing solid complementary players.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but Clay is confusing color with athleticism, just sayin. I don't know how many times people can post this on this board without it being so. Second, McCowan and Brown are not athletic. If you cannot get out of the paint and recover, you are not athletic.

People need to stop stereotyping. And just to make my point even more, Smith is not that smart LMAO. Why do I care, because my mother was black and my father white. Do you have any idea how many times my mother was called dumb and my father was called unathletic?

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 03/12/19 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/12/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

100%. What will those people say when the world is totally mixed. Hopefully, they won’t be around. It’s just like the post listing all white players, then throwing Kaleena in there as if she was their token. The problem with that is Kaleena’s mom is Latina, her step dad is black and I can bet that person has never seen her real dad.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
What will those people say when the world is totally mixed.

I've long thought this would help resolve so many issues. But we're such bastards that I guess we'll always come up with ways to discriminate.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
100%. What will those people say when the world is totally mixed.

The whole world is mixed now...

PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
100%. What will those people say when the world is totally mixed.

The whole world is mixed now...

just not enough yet.

- Amanda Gorman
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
100%. What will those people say when the world is totally mixed. Hopefully, they won’t be around. It’s just like the post listing all white players, then throwing Kaleena in there as if she was their token. The problem with that is Kaleena’s mom is Latina, her step dad is black and I can bet that person has never seen her real dad.

At the pro level, basketball (except maybe at the bottom of the bench) is a meritocracy. Talking basketball prospects, who cares about the skin color? All that matters is how one thinks their abilities will fit at the W level (that is what Clay was doing). It takes a certain kind of viewpoint to see all in a racial context......going so far as to dig into genealogy/parentage (I mean who cares?).....and this kind of biased mind accuses me of tokenism with KML, but neglects to note mention of Danielle Adams.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
And just to make my point even more, Smith is not that smart LMAO.

If achieving a 3.47 GPA at Stanford and winning the PAC-12 WBB Scholar Athlete of the Year award a week ago is not a reasonable basis for someone to claim she is smart, then what is?

PostPosted: 03/12/19 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

If achieving a 3.47 GPA at Stanford and winning the PAC-12 WBB Scholar Athlete of the Year award a week ago is not a reasonable basis for someone to claim she is smart, then what is?

I was kinda thinking that too...but I also understand a bit what he means in terms of bball smarts. I think she has improved every year and adapted to the system better over time but I'm not sure it came naturally to her. (By comparison I think Williams and the Hulls 'got' it right away) I do feel like for the most part now Alanna plays pretty smart. She has a pretty good knack of getting into the right spot at the right time, her movement on the floor is quite good and she has good sync with teammates. Also just to get into Stanford as an auslander was a pretty big deal. There's a reason Tara has a hard time signing foreigners, so the ones she does get have to be pretty extraordinary to qualify academically. So I guess Nix will have to explain what 'smart' means to him.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So I guess Nix will have to explain what 'smart' means to him.

Yes, considering he/she just randomly claimed that "Smith is not that smart LMAO" without any context, not in response to anything in particular, not specifying Basketball IQ. Just a random insult.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being smart and a high or a low basketball IQ are 2 whole different things. Just ask Quanitra Hollingsworth..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/13/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Being smart and a high or a low basketball IQ are 2 whole different things. Just ask Quanitra Hollingsworth..

Yes, Hollingsworth is the player who comes to mind for me. She skipped two grades and graduated from high school at 15. It's always been puzzling to me why she isn't a better player. On paper, she has great natural gifts: size, athletic ability, and intelligence. However, I guess what's missing is desire and instinct. I see basketball IQ as basically three things:

1) Being able to learn basketball systems and to play well within that structure.
2) Having "vision", which means being able to see plays develop before they happen.
3) Decision-making that usually entails a choice between being aggressive or conservative. On an individual basis, that would include things like avoiding dumb fouls or making unnecessarily risky passes. On a team basis, the decisions would be situational. For instance, if your club is behind with time running out, that's when you need to take some chances. On the other hand, if your team is ahead by a lot, or moderately with time running out, then playing it safe is the way to go.

A lot of this is instinct rather than intelligence. You're reacting to the action as it happens and making snap judgments. Experience certainly helps. So does being drilled over and over again in practice. Superior athleticism and skill are also factors because a "gamble" is less risky when you have the physical ability to pull it off. However, none of this is to say that you can't have both real life IQ and basketball IQ. My guess is that they usually go together.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latest Voepel mock draft.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/26243775/wnba-mock-draft-2019-predicting-all-three-rounds

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Magbegor getting picked before Brown or Samuelson. And I don't see Brown dropping to #10. Voepel's in the group that loves Cunningham. Those that don't (myself) have Cunningham in the third round.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I don't see Magbegor getting picked before Brown or Samuelson. And I don't see Brown dropping to #10. Voepel's in the group that loves Cunningham. Those that don't (myself) have Cunningham in the third round.

Brown can easily fall that far if there are early declarers. If Indiana and Dallas pass on her, she will most definitely slide because a lot of those teams don’t have needs for centers. And Cunningham in the 3rd round. Laughing I’m going to assume you haven’t seen much of her, because I’ve never seen anyone suggest she’d ever go that low.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draftsite's latest

https://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2019/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve found some valuable tidbits on Laksa (translated from Latvian)

Have all the credits earned and Kitty in May come after the diploma?
For Kitty, most credit points have been collected. Continue to attend two classes. The school is actually finished - the last touches left. I'll be a graduate in May.

Laura can't come back again because she spent five years in school. How are you?
I have the opportunity to come back and play for another year. I have not made the decision because the season is not over. I don't feel the need to make big decisions.

I understood from the head coach José Fernandes that he did not interfere with the decision-making. That will be your decision entirely.
It is, however, my career. The coach's action is very reasonable - no pressure, When the season ends, let's talk about everything. It is important how my knee will feel, how long and qualitative the recovery will be. There are many things that I can't predict.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I was kinda thinking that too...but I also understand a bit what he means in terms of bball smarts. I think she has improved every year and adapted to the system better over time but I'm not sure it came naturally to her. (By comparison I think Williams and the Hulls 'got' it right away) I do feel like for the most part now Alanna plays pretty smart. She has a pretty good knack of getting into the right spot at the right time, her movement on the floor is quite good and she has good sync with teammates. Also just to get into Stanford as an auslander was a pretty big deal. There's a reason Tara has a hard time signing foreigners, so the ones she does get have to be pretty extraordinary to qualify academically. So I guess Nix will have to explain what 'smart' means to him.

LOL I was using it as an example of how some peeps love to say well you know like Stanford white girl gotta be smart right, in my valley voice, I guess that went over some heads. My point was the stereotyping. Smith is smart in the classroom, white etc but that does not mean that she is smart on the court and has the best basketball IQ, and really each and every player has individual qualities that are not based on what color they are. And yes some players pick things up very quickly, and Myrtles examples are on point re Williams and Hull. If a player takes a long time to pick things up you will see this exposed exponentially at the next level as there is little time for practice, scouting and adjustments. The players have to be able to think on the fly.

And BTWs Luucc, no, having a GPA of anything does not define how quickly a player picks things up on the court, whether they can read the game and understand the nuances of adjustments in real time.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Nixtreefan wrote:
LOL I was using it as an example of how some peeps love to say well you know like Stanford white girl gotta be smart right, in my valley voice, I guess that went over some heads. My point was the stereotyping. Smith is smart in the classroom, white etc but that does not mean that she is smart on the court and has the best basketball IQ, and really each and every player has individual qualities that are not based on what color they are.

But what point did you make? All you did was declare that Smith was not smart (presumably in terms of her basketball IQ).

You did not give any context (or even say basketball IQ), so readers were left to wonder.

And you did not provide any specifics/evidence/support for your statement.

stever

PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:37 pm    ::: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2019-03/13/content_74566510.htm

Quote:
Chinese center Han Xu has arrived in Los Angeles, the United States, waiting for next month's WNBA draft and for her dream to possibly come true.
The young pivot, who will turn 19 on October 31, will start recovering training at PickUp USA Fitness on Wednesday after a week of rest and take physical examinations in LA. Han, who led the Chinese team to take Asian Games title and finish 6th at the World Cup last year, might be joined by her national teammates such as Li Meng, Yang Liwei and Li Yueru at the 2019 WNBA Draft.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:00 pm    ::: Re: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Quote:
The young pivot, who will turn 19 on October 31...

Fortunately for her, everything else says she's already 19 and will turn 20 on October 31st, because otherwise there wouldn't be much point in coming over for the draft - she wouldn't be eligible until next year.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 7:24 pm    ::: Re: Chinese center Han Xu ready for WNBA draft Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
stever wrote:

Quote:
The young pivot, who will turn 19 on October 31...

Fortunately for her, everything else says she's already 19 and will turn 20 on October 31st, because otherwise there wouldn't be much point in coming over for the draft - she wouldn't be eligible until next year.

In China babies are already one when they are born. I'm sure the WNBA would respect the practices of other cultures. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 51 of 74

Jump to: