RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

In the event of a three-way tie between PHX, CT and LA...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/17/18 10:38 pm    ::: In the event of a three-way tie between PHX, CT and LA... Reply Reply with quote

First tiebreaker, head-to-head, would be even for all 3 if they all end 20-14 right? That would of course mean LA beating CT on Sunday as well as PHX holding the lead on Atlanta and getting an unlikely win at home against the favored Liberty Sunday.

Second tiebreaker is record vs. .500+ teams. I'll have to figure out who has it...but LA is not necessarily out of the running for 4 seed.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If LA beat Conn, and Phoenix beat NY, then yes it's a three-way tie, and yes that trio would appear to be three-way-tied in the head-to-head-to-head.

My maths has all three currently at 8-10 in games against teams that are .500 or better. So if LA beat Conn, and Phoenix beat NY, then against teams .500 or better, we'd have:
LA 9-10
Phoenix 8-10
Conn 8-11

And hence #4 LA, #5 Phoenix, #6 Conn. I believe.

PostPosted: 08/17/18 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would mean PHX can't finish 4th.

LA can only get 4th via the three-way tie since the two way tie would go to CT.

CT can only finish 4th or 6th, and the only way they can finish 6th is via the three-way tie.

Last edited by RI_Sun_Fan on 08/18/18 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/17/18 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
That would mean PHX can't finish 4th

Yep, that's the conclusion I just came to as well. They're playing a home game vs Minnesota or Dallas in the first round, it's just a question of which.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
That would mean PHX can't finish 4th

Yep, that's the conclusion I just came to as well. They're playing a home game vs Minnesota or Dallas in the first round, it's just a question of which.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/18/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info. I was going to count it but you guys beat me to it. So the LA-CT game tomorrow maintains some meaning, which is cool.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I was going to count it but you guys beat me to it. So the LA-CT game tomorrow maintains some meaning, which is cool.

I continue to hope that LA ends up with at least a #4 playoff ranking. However, even if they do, do they really have it within themselves to pull themselves together as a unified team force like they have been the past two seasons? Is Nneka going to be Nneka, our very own Nigerian Nightmare? Can Odyssey pull it together to become the offensive juggernaut she was during last season's playoffs? Is Riquna ready to marry her outstanding athletic prowess to her bball productivity, offensively and defensively? Are Karlie & Syd the Kid still capable of knocking down treys in meaningful games? Will we see Essence, the Bionic Woman tomorrow & come playoff time? Will Chelsea morph into that dominant Closer mode again? Does Candace still have more double doubles and triple doubles in her tank? Does Jantel even deserve to be a Spark anymore?

The one who has been hurt the most this season has been our proto bball Messiah, Masha. Already behind the eight-ball, because she is still learning English, Masha has not really had significant practice time to adapt to Brian's bball philosophy as yet. This crazy compacted season that often obviated physical practice time has not helped at all. I only hope Masha is willing to come back to join her LaLa Sisters and do this again in 2019. I hope she is joined by Marianna Tolo as well so we can have solid physical post defense once more.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing has changed since I worked this out for y'all a few days ago...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1537981#1537981

...except that the Mystics have removed themselves from the scenario.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see the Sun beating LA. Phoenix doesn't need to beat NY and is locked into the #5 seed and rests Taurasi at least. LA plays Minnesota and Dallas plays Phoenix. Sucks because the Phoenix game will be at ASU and they'll have an early start time due to TV.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/18/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I see the Sun beating LA. Phoenix doesn't need to beat NY and is locked into the #5 seed and rests Taurasi at least.

Except that, as already detailed in multiple places, Connecticut winning doesn't lock Phoenix into anything. Phoenix's positioning is essentially entirely controlled by their own game. Win and they're 5th, lose and they're 6th.

PostPosted: 08/18/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to think that if LA beats Connecticut, Phoenix will intentionally tank (they are the experts) just to screw the Sparks out of a bye. Sit Griner, Taurasi and Bonner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: