RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Single elimination games in the playoffs need to go!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 08/13/18 8:26 pm    ::: Single elimination games in the playoffs need to go! Reply Reply with quote

I'm still mad about the '16 postseason when Catch was eliminated after a single game, especially considering how the year before her team was down in the semi-finals and conference finals but came back to win those series.

The players deserve better than this!

And fans too, especially this year. We're being robbed of great basketball. Mad

PostPosted: 08/13/18 8:36 pm    ::: Re: Single elimination games in the playoffs need to go! Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
I'm still mad about the '16 postseason when Catch was eliminated after a single game, especially considering how the year before her team was down in the semi-finals and conference finals but came back to win those series.

The players deserve better than this!

And fans too, especially this year. We're being robbed of great basketball. Mad

As a Liberty fan, I have some painful memories of single-elimination games that I saw. I'll be spared that pain this season. But it's terrible for fans of any team to go through this. So wrong.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its the pros. Win or go home leave the excuses for the regular season.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is some upside with them. Survival being on the line adds to the appeal for me.
Until fans start showing up to these early round playoff games I think it is the right call to stick with single games.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better to cut the playoffs to six teams and go best of three in the first round. Exciting as it is to see whether the Aces or Wings can back into the #8 seed, it would be so much better with teams 4-7 separated by one game with a week to go and one of them won't get in. We'd have a whole last week of playoff intensity games.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree. First there are 12 teams. If you want to make a real change how about restricting the playoffs to just the top 2 or at most the top 4 teams. If a team finishes 5th they don't really even deserve 1 playoff game. But even if you are going to have a playoff system that includes 8 teams how do you suggest fitting in 2 of 3 series for the first two rounds. Shorten the regular season to 28 games? Use 2 of 3 series for the whole playoffs and go back to 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. The playoff system has been created because of limitations placed on the League by outside forces.

If you want a system that determines the best team, do away with the playoffs completely. Get rid of 1 team, extend the season to 40 games and play 4 games against every other team. Best record is champion. Of course then you wouldn't have the relatively higher ratings that the playoffs bring.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I've found that the type of season we've had affects how I feel about them. This year, with how even the playoff teams are, I'd love to see the ebb and flow of series even in the starting rounds. In previous years, when it really felt like we were just deciding which lambs got to be slaughtered, one-game deciders felt fine.

Although I haven't changed from my opinion that it's unfair on the #3 and #4 seeds to potentially have their seasons ended in one game. Those teams have been too successful and worked too hard to be put in that position (hence my preference for a (sort of) double-elimination system).

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't hate the player, hate the scheduling.

I'm fine with it.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams with under .500 records shouldn't be in the playoffs, period. Give the top 3 teams a bye, and let the remaining >.500 teams have single elimination playoffs for the 4th spot. Then play best of 3 in the semis, and best of 5 in the finals.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/14/18 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with it as is. But then I'm a general fan rather than a fan of a particular team. If it were my team who got eliminated after having a substantially better record than the team that eliminates them...I just might feel different. Cool

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/14/18 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like the single elimination games, but yeah I'm a Liberty fan and two seasons in a row we got 3rd best record only to get knocked out by a lower seed in 40 minutes so maybe that has colored my opinion.

I like the 6 teams top two get bys best 2 out of 3 for 3 to 6 best 3 out of 5 for semis and finals

I would also be OK with top 8 best 2 out of 3 until the finals which are 3 out of five. This way no bys which I think can actually hurt a team as thier opponents come in warmer and off victories while the by teams wait. 1 should be able to beat 8 and 2 should be able to beat 7 pretty easily, as stated earlier win or go home no excuse losing to lower seeds.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/14/18 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this...more than half the league making the playoffs is an anomaly that really hurts things, got more teams trying to get out of that 5th draft pick than into that first playoff spot...6 teams, 3-5-5 is fair

pilight wrote:
Better to cut the playoffs to six teams and go best of three in the first round. Exciting as it is to see whether the Aces or Wings can back into the #8 seed, it would be so much better with teams 4-7 separated by one game with a week to go and one of them won't get in. We'd have a whole last week of playoff intensity games.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I think there is some upside with them. Survival being on the line adds to the appeal for me.
Until fans start showing up to these early round playoff games I think it is the right call to stick with single games.

I agree.

Not that, as Mercury fans, we have any sort of bias. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the TV deal with ESPN. Under this current format, all games get aired on the ESPN networks. They switch it to the classic first round, best-of-3, #1 vs. #8 and some games will be forced onto NBATV.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
There's also the TV deal with ESPN. Under this current format, all games get aired on the ESPN networks. They switch it to the classic first round, best-of-3, #1 vs. #8 and some games will be forced onto NBATV.

That's why you cut the number of playoff teams to six. #1 and #2 still get byes to the semis. #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 in best of three. At most it's two more games than the current format.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That's why you cut the number of playoff teams to six. #1 and #2 still get byes to the semis. #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 in best of three. At most it's two more games than the current format.

That's presumably an owner preference. They want the chance for eight of them to get in (and therefore more of them to be playing meaningful games down the stretch). Cut it to six and a bunch of seasons could be essentially over pretty early. Which is presumably why we now have these one-game playoffs - it's as close to not having those teams get in at all as they were willing to go.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

I agree.

Not that, as Mercury fans, we have any sort of bias. Laughing

Nope. None at all. Twisted Evil

(I do mean it though, not just because of the way things have gone)

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA could do like the Arena Football League, the WNBA could have a 2 Game Home & Home Playoff Series and if the 2 teams win one each it will be decided on total point of each team 2 games.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
The WNBA could do like the Arena Football League, the WNBA could have a 2 Game Home & Home Playoff Series and if the 2 teams win one each it will be decided on total point of each team 2 games.

The Arena Football League is a joke and is hanging on by a thread. They only had four teams this past season to which all four qualified for the playoffs. The #4 seed that finished with a 2-10 record went on to win the ArenaBowl.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And speaking from a continent where two-legged aggregate-score matchups in basketball are occasionally still a thing, I hate them. There's nothing quite like being at a basketball game that ends with the scores level, and everyone looking around at each other wondering whether they're supposed to play overtime or not.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

The Arena Football League is a joke and is hanging on by a thread. They only had four teams this past season to which all four qualified for the playoffs. The #4 seed that finished with a 2-10 record went on to win the ArenaBowl.

What a minute you're stepping on my toes, my team the Arena Bowl Champs Washington Valor is the team you're speaking about.

I believe the Major Soccer League have used the same playoff system as Arena Bowl,

Aggregate Goals System for their playoffs.
The two clubs drawn as a pair play each other twice, home-and-away. The winner is decided by adding together the scores from the two games -- the aggregate score. If the aggregate score is tied, then the winner is the club that scored more goals on its opponent's field (usually referred to as "the away goals rule").

But Now is Using the Away Goals Rule
The away goals rule is a method of breaking ties in association football and other sports when teams play each other twice, once at each team's home ground. By the away goals rule, the team that has scored more goals "away from home" will win if scores are otherwise equal.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We discuss this every year and I think most people say the same things as in the past, so I will too.

My proposal is a one weekend long tournament for the top 8 teams- single game elimination. It would follow the same format as we have now (1 and 2 get double byes, 3 and 4 single).

TBH - I'd be happy if there were no post season but more regular season games. Make the team that win the most games the champ and give them a parade and a trophy.

I have no problem at all with the current single elimination games. If the games for the non-contenders were actually drawing some fans it might be different. Having a playoff game in a nearly empty arena takes a lot of the excitement out of the game.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really, what we're talking about is the overall structure of the WNBA playoffs ... and there are two aspects: One that makes sensse, and one that reflects reality.

What makes sense: Four of the 12 teams make the playoffs. The first round is best of five, the second is best of seven. (If you want to have something for the other eight, have a single-elimination eight-team bracket with the winner getting the first overall pick in the draft and the runner-up the second.)

Reality: Many home playoff games generate income, and any playoff game is a selling point for sponsors and fans, so putting eight teams in the playoffs makes financial sense.

The schedule restraints don't allow playoff series if eight teams make it, so there have to be some cuts. Conceivably you could reduce the finals to three games, and expand the others, but the five-game finals are better for ticket sales and TV, I think.

ESPN is not interested in showing WNBA playoff games when it could be showing college football, so there's a limitation there as well, plus with the NBA season starting in mid-October, NBA-TV will be focusing on the upcoming NBA season, where the ratings are.

I don't mind the seventh and eighth place teams playing a single elimination game, and really, the fifth and sixth don't bother me that much. But it would be nice if the third and fourth place teams got a three-game series, so if you eliminate seven and eight, and have six play three (best-of-three) and five play four, you stay within most of the above parameters and have a better system.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The schedule restraints don't allow playoff series if eight teams make it

Well, yeah, they do. That would be what we had for 15 years until this stuff was brought in in 2016. The difference came when they decided they wanted the semis to be best-of-five. That's what led to them finding a way to shorten the earlier round(s).

PostPosted: 08/14/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I prefer Pilight's solution with the additional addition: eliminate back to back games completely if at all possible. It is such a grossly unfair advantage for a relatively fresh team playing another team on the back end of a back to back. It's almost a guaranteed loss to the latter. With playoff format where every regular season game matters, any kind of unfair scheduling bias should be completely eliminated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: