someone else
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:38 am    ::: COY Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 08/13/18 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will have to cast a vote for Mike Thibault, he's done an amazing job with practically no Center. Also, the team has won without key players in the line-up on various occasions (EDD, Cloud, Sanders, Atkins, Hill because of injuries and Meesseman sitting out the season) Plus, inserting Atkins, Cloud and Sanders into the starting line-up has worked out thus far.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has Dan Hughes won COY before?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
has Dan Hughes won COY before?

He's won it twice, in 2001 and 2007

PostPosted: 08/13/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EOY might be just as good a race!

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/13/18 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went with Coach Collen. Both Hughes and Collen have executed great turnarounds for the top 2 teams in the WNBA. Hughes is a seasoned coach who has made it to the playoffs before and has 3 former #1 draft picks, 2 of whom won Rookie of the Year, so it was just a matter of time before they righted the ship. Although for Hughes to be this successful after running San Antonio in the ground, that's a feat.

Collen, however is a first year coach. She has weathered 2 injuries earlier in the year that left their top scorer and top bench player sidelined for several games. She made it through the rough patch early in the season when the team was getting used to each other and her and her philosophy. She has improved the Dream's defensive philosophy and now has one of the top defensive frontcourts in the league. She led the Dream to an 8 game winning streak and following 1 loss has led them to a now 6 game winning streak. The last 3 wins came after losing Angel McCoughtry for the rest of the season. Plus, I'm a total Atlanta homer Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote for Collen too. Give Hughes EOY for the Howard swindle. Collen for COY.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I vote for Collen too. Give Hughes EOY for the Howard swindle. Collen for COY.

I demand a collusion investigation! Either Reeve is one of the world's biggest idiots (probably, and Minnesota has had plenty of them running their sports teams over the years), or because Seattle gifted Renee Montgomery and Hughes Jia Perkins, Reeve conveniently gifted Seattle/Hughes Howard as a "favor".

Shades

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Give Hughes EOY for the Howard swindle.

He’s not the GM though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

He’s not the GM though.

I forgot about that.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:

I demand a collusion investigation! Either Reeve is one of the world's biggest idiots (probably, and Minnesota has had plenty of them running their sports teams over the years)

Back when the Lynx were on a 7 game win streak, you were saying things like “you were wrong about Reeve” and how you understood why she had to let Howard go. Now you’re flip-flopping. I can’t respect that. I can only respect the people who didn’t like the trade from the moment it was announced.

SpaceJunkie wrote:
because Seattle gifted Renee Montgomery and Hughes Jia Perkins, Reeve conveniently gifted Seattle/Hughes Howard as a "favor".

That’s an interesting perspective. So whether or not “the gift” was intentional, Reeve kinda owed Seattle. This way of thinking should give you some peace, hopefully.

I think as I have always thought, that Reeve should have made signing Howard the top priority. Everything else was secondary. AJones most likely would have stepped up if given an extended opportunity.

This last loss against SEA was filled with ironies. Howard goes 9-10, Wright and Robinson (I know she was out) combine for very little, her must-have player Zandalasini gets the start and puts up 0-8, and AJones gets 10 pts in 6 min. Sums up all the mistakes in Reeve’s offseason gameplan.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Back when the Lynx were on a 7 game win streak, you were saying things like “you were wrong about Reeve” and how you understood why she had to let Howard go. Now you’re flip-flopping. I can’t respect that. I can only respect the people who didn’t like the trade from the moment it was announced.

Yes, no changing your mind! You must take a stand and stick to it no matter what!

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fred williams.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
fred williams.

I'm going to one up you and say Amber Stocks! Laughing
All she needs is fifteen seconds to do her thing.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
fred williams.

Pilight finally took him off the COY ballot! Laughing

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yes, no changing your mind! You must take a stand and stick to it no matter what!

I never liked the trade to begin with, but I didn't want people to think I'm delusional idiot for thinking Howard was supposed to be a star if given a chance/more minutes, so I wasn't as direct as you. Since all the other Lynx fans were happy with the Lynx being bad at the beginning of the season, so, with me being a basement-dweller, I decided they must be smarter than I am, so I decided to give Reeve a chance by assuming she was intentionally losing games for higher draft picks during the beginning of the season and by the end of the season Wright and Kizer would magically stop sucking and be useful (along with everybody else) when the Lynx needed to win games, instead of losing them, but the Lynx went back to sucking for good when they should've stopped tanking and winning games, so I changed my mind back to what I should've stuck with the entire time: Reeve is an idiot instead of a scumbag genius who only selectively made the Lynx intentionally lose games and had all her players magically do nothing as part of the tanking plan for her until they needed to win.

Shades wrote:
I think as I have always thought, that Reeve should have made signing Howard the top priority. Everything else was secondary. AJones most likely would have stepped up if given an extended opportunity.

That's what I always thought too. I have Tweets from before free agency saying that. My mistake was assuming Reeve might be knowing what she's doing, even though it wasn't what I wanted, instead of assuming she's a total incompetent idiot (since I've never been impressed by Reeve as a coach).

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amber Stocks

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Collins. 1st year coach who has her currently in 2nd place with Angel out for the season.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A very interesting article about why Collen should be voted Coach of the Year:

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2018/8/13/17683382/wnba-atlanta-dream-nicki-collen-coach-of-the-year

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/14/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Amber Stocks

I want an in-depth analysis on why Amber Stocks should be COY. Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2018/8/13/17683382/wnba-atlanta-dream-nicki-collen-coach-of-the-year

I'd love to see her get it, but I'm afraid the voters will take the easy way out and go for the coach of the team with the best record. Also, the Dream started out slow and like we saw with Sykes ROY campaign last year, not getting noticed until the second half of the season is a big hurdle to overcome.

However, article and getting her name in the news can help. She could get COM for August as well.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

I'd love to see her get it, but I'm afraid the voters will take the easy way out and go for the coach of the team with the best record. Also, the Dream started out slow and like we saw with Sykes ROY campaign last year, not getting noticed until the second half of the season is a big hurdle to overcome.

However, article and getting her name in the news can help. She could get COM for August as well.

It's going to be amusing when the #2 seed in the playoffs gets shut out of all the postseason awards.

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah well - name recognition is probably a big deal with voters. "Anybody for the Dream? Well Angel went down, so I don't know anybody else on that team......"

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Collen is winning COY. Voters only are ridiculous most of the time when it comes to MIP and sometimes 6WOY, and they usually spread out the awards (I wanted Agler to win COY in 2016, not Reeve, but they weren't going to give all the awards to the Sparks).

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 08/14/18 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/14/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Yeah well - name recognition is probably a big deal with voters. "Anybody for the Dream? Well Angel went down, so I don't know anybody else on that team......"

A team with a bunch of "nobodies" finished in 2nd place? Must be due to the coach! #CollenForCOY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: