RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Adam Silver & Lisa Borders discuss future of the Liberty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:29 am    ::: Adam Silver & Lisa Borders discuss future of the Liberty Reply Reply with quote

https://elitesportsny.com/2018/08/09/exclusive-adam-silver-lisa-borders-discuss-the-future-of-the-new-york-liberty/

Quote:
"The fans are Liberty fans regardless of where they play," said Borders, remarking about the loud, packed house. "I graduated from Duke University and we play at this little place called Cameron Indoor Stadium." She later added, "As long as the fans are happy and seeing a terrific product on the floor, that works for me."

"I think there's a great future for the Liberty and the WNBA," Silver concurred. "I went to Duke University, and this reminds of a game at Cameron. You never really hear people say at Duke that the arena’s not big enough."

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:31 am    ::: Re: Adam Silver & Lisa Borders discuss the future of the Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
https://elitesportsny.com/2018/08/09/exclusive-adam-silver-lisa-borders-discuss-the-future-of-the-new-york-liberty/

Quote:
"The fans are Liberty fans regardless of where they play," said Borders, remarking about the loud, packed house. "I graduated from Duke University and we play at this little place called Cameron Indoor Stadium." She later added, "As long as the fans are happy and seeing a terrific product on the floor, that works for me."

"I think there's a great future for the Liberty and the WNBA," Silver concurred. "I went to Duke University, and this reminds of a game at Cameron. You never really hear people say at Duke that the arena’s not big enough."

Rolling Eyes

They aren't. It isn't. So I guess it doesn't work for her.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time I checked in pro sports you need an abundance of parked buttocks in a big arena to make lots of money. Packing the house in a matchbox does not count.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the fans that matter to Lisa are the ones showing up for the games (and ideally paying for tickets.)

tfan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“The talent is beyond remarkable”, Borders said of the modern Liberty.

Quote:
Silver also revealed that the arena, which is also plays host to the Westchester Knicks of the NBA G League, was investing in a new sound system.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Silver also revealed that the arena, which is also plays host to the Westchester Knicks of the NBA G League, was investing in a new sound system.

Yesiree. That new sound system will make two thousand people sound like twelve thousand! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The last time I checked in pro sports you need an abundance of parked buttocks in a big arena to make lots of money. Packing the house in a matchbox does not count.

Need lots of eyeballs watching and sweetheart stadium deals from local politicians.

Most people hate poetry
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just a thought, this might be something Silver and Borders are thinking about NBA teams who have G League teams also having WNBA teams in a combine Arena. How many WNBA teams has been recently moved out of Large Arenas, is this a trend ? It could create additional WNBA teams in the future, NBA owners will need something for open dates in the summer time for their small venues used for G League games and practice facilities.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Need lots of eyeballs watching and sweetheart stadium deals from local politicians.

Sweetheart stadium deal for the Liberty? We need not hold our breath waiting for that to happen.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Sweetheart stadium deal for the Liberty? We need not hold our breath waiting for that to happen.

No way in hell is there going to be a "sweetheart stadium deal" for the Liberty in New York.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She needs to read Queenie's article to see how a real Liberty fan feels...

I guess they pay her to be positive but there comes a point where it's ridiculous. Yes, Auschwitz is lovely - has a very intimate atmosphere... Rolling Eyes

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league needs a NY presence to maintain credibility. Not having a team in the city of your league office is embarrassing, and not having a franchise in the country's largest market is not a good look if you're selling sponsors on a brighter future. All they need the Liberty to do is breakeven. That will allow Dolan to fend off dissident stockholders who wonder why MSG is still hanging on to a money-losing operation after over 20 years.

Clearly, the arena rental is the team's biggest expense. The last estimate I could find for rental of MSG is from May, 1990. At that time, the rough estimate was $200,000 for a concert. If you adjust that by general inflation over 28 years, the updated estimate would be $390,000 per event. That's obviously opportunity cost, not operating expense, but it's nonetheless the way a businessman would evaluate things. So, we're talking about $6,630,000 for 17 games that the Liberty have to offset to make using the arena a "breakeven" proposition for MSG. Now, if you can rent WCC for a fraction of that amount -- say $1,000,000 per year -- then you might be able to cover all your costs (including salary, administration, sales, etc.) through TV money and sponsorships. Then box office money -- actual fans in seats -- just becomes gravy. You've become some kind of hybrid between the overseas sponsorship model and a TV show. As long as the league distributors (currently ESPN and Twitter) and local Liberty sponsors (Verizon, DraftKings, etc.) can live with this arrangement, then maybe the franchise can limp along this way for a few years. Meanwhile, you hope that a new owner emerges or that a sudden rise in popularity makes it viable to move to a better arena.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL at the two Dukies comparing the Liberty’s situation to a college team playing at Cameron.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More than anything they need new ownership. And whoever these new owner(s) are need to move them away from WCC. Brooklyn, Nassau, Newark(NJ), Philadelphia, as long as they can stay in or near the tri-state area I'm ok.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
More than anything they need new ownership. And whoever these new owner(s) are need to move them away from WCC. Brooklyn, Nassau, Newark(NJ), Philadelphia, as long as they can stay in or near the tri-state area I'm ok.

I don't consider Philadelphia to be part of, or even near the tri-state area. If the Liberty are going to re-locate there, they might as well move to Alaska.

However, if they move to Philly, they can at least call themselves the Philadelphia Liberty Belles. Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it's probably easier to get to Philly from NYC than it is getting to Westchester.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly think the Liberty are staying here. I think Dolan is fine with them playing in WCC personally...in that he doesn't care...losses are probably minimal if at all. The Garden is free for other events and he can even do a couple of school/camp day games at MSG.

I had read way back when an article alluding to the idea that WCC would have to be renovated to become a longer-term option for the Libs. As if it had been discussed as an option. Can't remember what source. It was awhile ago. But point being, I could see renovating the place being a legit option from a standpoint that the place could then cater to more events. It wouldn't be just for the Libs. I'm not even concerned as much with making it markedly bigger as am I with altering the seating configuration so as not to have that many obstructed view seats.

If there were a way to do it, I honestly think Rose Hill (Fordham) would be a better option if all else remains the same. Yeah there's some bleachers and yeah it's a college. But you can fit 3,500-4,000 people and you wouldn't have a problem with obstructed views. Metro North literally stops right outside the campus and it's 20 minutes from Grand Central with not a terribly long walk to the gym. There's people on campus in the summer who would likely attend a game as well as a handful of Fordham summer programs that you could probably give discounted tickets to in order to draw crowds. Won't happen, but I honestly think it's a more desirable option.

I haven't been able to confirm this but is Dolan affiliated with or part owner of WCC?

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this deja vu, because it seems like we already had this discussion before.

Found it.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2078

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/13/18 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Well, it's probably easier to get to Philly from NYC than it is getting to Westchester.

That makes no sense in terms of travel time and cost via public transportation. Absurd.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/13/18 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PRballer

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The corporate heads of the NBA/WNBA are going to give this a positive spin. Why is that so surprising?

But yes - LOL to the Cameron comparison. Goodness.

The important thing is that the New York Liberty remain intact and right now it looks like it will for the foreseeable future under Dolan/MSG. If Borders is any good, she uses this borrowed time and secures a different buyer in the NYC market but in the meantime the Liberty are relegated to Westchester and try to break even for Dolan. It's just sad because I doubt they will do tons of investment in marketing/promotions and overall fan and franchise experience, i.e. will not be able to retain the best coaching nor attract free agents.

It's not great, but it's better than no Liberty franchise IMO.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a thought, but if Dolan's price is too much, could the league fold the team and then revive the Liberty under new ownership? This is assuming there's a group out there wanting the team but don't want to buy it under Dolan's terms.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That makes no sense in terms of travel time and cost via public transportation. Absurd.

Really travel to Phila from NYC is easier and cheaper than NYC to WCC?
In what world is that , Toad?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just a thought, but if Dolan's price is too much, could the league fold the team and then revive the Liberty under new ownership? This is assuming there's a group out there wanting the team but don't want to buy it under Dolan's terms.

What happens to the players when the team folds? Normally it would be a dispersal draft. Also, the WNBA may not have the right to fold a team. I think the WNBA would have to take over the team like they did with New Orleans in the NBA some years ago then look for a buyer. if they colluded with the buyer to get better terms that Dolan wanted they might open themselves up to a lawsuit.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Think you're thinking of it more from wherever your location is in NJ. For someone like me that an easy 2:30 on NJ Transit to SEPTA or however one would go once they get to Philly.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

What happens to the players when the team folds? Normally it would be a dispersal draft. Also, the WNBA may not have the right to fold a team.

If the league could get solid proof on something like Dolan firing an employee for reporting sexual harassment claims, maybe they’d have a case for taking the team away from him, but since it sounds like they have nothing on him... Wink

But both Silver and Borders sound pleased as punch with Dolan, so toad seems to be barking up the wrong tree.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/14/18 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: