Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taj is named interim coach.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/08/12/mystics-condemn-white-supremacist-rally-hate-should-never-be-granted-this-platform/?utm_term=.436c7db8783f

Atkins shot a perfect 5 for 5 from the field before leaving the court after a hard fall midway through the fourth quarter. The rookie wing landed with a thwack on her right side after jumping up toward the basket and walked to the locker room. She did not return.

Mystics Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault wasn’t sure of her status but said Atkins “basically landed on her hip

FemmeFatale

PostPosted: 08/12/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the Wings had a reality show. It would definitely pull more views than their games Laughing Laughing

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/13/18 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought something was wrong when the "news" was Cambage was not playing and then the TV reporters where saying there not sure about Liz Cambage since she was warming up and sitting on the bench.

WOW! Never seen anything like this.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I thought something was wrong when the "news" was Cambage was not playing and then the TV reporters where saying there not sure about Liz Cambage since she was warming up and sitting on the bench.

WOW! Never seen anything like this.

It's really no big deal. She was injured, she's traveling with the team, they are hoping she can play. Clearly, they made the decision yesterday that she should not. And since it was obvious on TV every time they showed her on the bench that she had tons of jewelry on, there was no chance she was going to be put into the game on the spur of the moment. The TV announcers finally commented on the jewelry late in the game and realized Cambage wasn't going to play.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully Liz is able to play tomorrow night vs. Connecticut.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Hopefully Liz is able to play tomorrow night vs. Connecticut.

I know Ariel and Natasha both missed games this season for the Mystics because of concussions. I wouldn't want a player in a game if the medical staff, player and coach doesn't think the player is up to par.

I wonder if the decision not playing Liz Cambage was the reason for the stir up between Bibb and Williams.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Concussions are fucking awful and can easily end a career (and even worse, they affect every other aspect of life as well). I shudder every time I hear about one. If a coach ever willingly played a player with symptoms I'd want them fired immediately.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Concussions are fucking awful and can easily end a career (and even worse, they affect every other aspect of life as well). I shudder every time I hear about one. If a coach ever willingly played a player with symptoms I'd want them fired immediately.

It looked like Liz wanted to give it a go but Fred and maybe the trainer said no then after the game Bibb blew a gasket because Fred didn't play Liz, that's my opinion, I could be right or wrong.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Concussions are strange ... an SF Giants' minor leaguer had a concussion in May, missed a month or so, came back and played for a month or so, and just went on the DL again with aftereffects from the months-ago concussion.

I would have said Cambage sitting might have had something to do with Fred getting fired, but the fact that she warmed up makes that less likely.

Now trading Aerial Powers for Tayler Hill ... that's pretty clearly on Fred.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole issues with Cambage and Fred I believe a lot of people are missing a large point about the Mystics. This team is playing very well together. Their offense is syncing together and I believe Tolliver and EDD have grown up as leaders of this team. Also, with the way Atkins and EDD were playing yesterday, Cambage would not of made a difference in the outcome of this game.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

When Greg Bibb’s title went from GM to “President, CEO and partner”, GM was not added to Fred Williams title. So it could be on Fred and Greg, or on Greg.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I don't think so. It would surprise me, just given Greg Bibb's role and title as Wings CEO/President, that Bibb did not make that trade. (He used to have the GM title, and is sometimes still called that. About a year ago, he was "promoted" to CEO/Pres.) Plus, from my perspective when he was with the Mystics, he seemed like a total control freak. Frankly, I can't believe that trade was (just) Fred's doing.

See also:

Quote:
"We're excited to have Tayler, she's a proven scorer in our league," Wings general manager and president Greg Bibb said. "Her natural position is the shooting guard position, but she has the ability to play some minutes at the point guart position, which will give us a little more versatility there in terms of what we do when Skylar's [Diggins-Smith] is not in the game."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2018/07/23/dallas-wings-trade-aerial-powers-washington-mystics-tayler-hill

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

When Greg Bibb’s title went from GM to “President, CEO and partner”, GM was not added to Fred Williams title. So it could be on Fred and Greg, or on Greg.

The Mystics is Bibb's former team. I believe it was more Bibb's hands then Williams hands trading Powers to the Mystics. Bibb probably thought he was going to get one over on the Mystics and Thibault. The Mystics weren't doing well at the time and looked like they were going to sink in the standings, possible to the lottery, remember part of the deal was the swapping of 1st rd picks if the Mystics were worst in the standings then the Wings at the end of the regular season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason I say it was on Fred is that Aerial was benched for four games, essentially, and it didn't seem warranted by performance. If that's correct, then it was a personality issue, and that's something the coach has to deal with.

Now maybe Powers is a personality problem no one can solve -- I have no idea -- but the fact that she was staring at the Wings' bench after her steals leads me to believe there's some animosity against someone.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The reason I say it was on Fred is that Aerial was benched for four games, essentially, and it didn't seem warranted by performance. If that's correct, then it was a personality issue, and that's something the coach has to deal with.

Now maybe Powers is a personality problem no one can solve -- I have no idea -- but the fact that she was staring at the Wings' bench after her steals leads me to believe there's some animosity against someone.

That someone on the bench could've been Davis who Powers got into with the last time the Mystics played against the Wings in Dallas

Mojo

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would tend to think there would be conversation between coach and management on a trade, whether it be instigated by a coach for personality conflict or thinking they needed another guard and who was most tradable (depending on who the other team negotiated), or if a GM/CEO was dissatisfied and/or contacted by other teams. I guess my question is, does a coach trade a player? I am thinking not, but can definitely approach mgmt about needs/problems/possibilities. On the other hand, it is on the coaches shoulders to produce wins. If blame is handed out, the coach and the losing streak stand out as culprits.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
I would tend to think there would be conversation between coach and management on a trade, whether it be instigated by a coach for personality conflict or thinking they needed another guard and who was most tradable (depending on who the other team negotiated), or if a GM/CEO was dissatisfied and/or contacted by other teams. I guess my question is, does a coach trade a player? I am thinking not, but can definitely approach mgmt about needs/problems/possibilities. On the other hand, it is on the coaches shoulders to produce wins. If blame is handed out, the coach and the losing streak stand out as culprits.

Knowing Bibb, I believe it was Bibb who traded Powers to the Mystics. Why the Mystics and why for a player who is till recovering from a serious knee injury, it was all about the swapping of the 1st rd draft pick, the Mystics were in a down spiral and facing a tough road trip. I do believe Tayler Hill is a Unrestricted Free Agent after this season if not she's a Unrestricted Free Agent after the 2019 season. It's likely Bibb thought he could pull a fast one on his old team the Mystics and get a lottery pick

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

It looked like Liz wanted to give it a go but Fred and maybe the trainer said no then after the game Bibb blew a gasket because Fred didn't play Liz, that's my opinion, I could be right or wrong.

If she had jewelry on then I don't think they (whose ever decision it was) were going to have her play at all.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

If she had jewelry on then I don't think they (whose ever decision it was) were going to have her play at all.

She was warming up with her team. At the least the coaches wanted to see her take shots. And shows the coaches were thinking of playing her.

vallee

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone have any update today on Atkins?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

The Mystics is Bibb's former team. I believe it was more Bibb's hands then Williams hands trading Powers to the Mystics. Bibb probably thought he was going to get one over on the Mystics and Thibault. The Mystics weren't doing well at the time and looked like they were going to sink in the standings, possible to the lottery, remember part of the deal was the swapping of 1st rd picks if the Mystics were worst in the standings then the Wings at the end of the regular season.

Your all wrong .....Thats all i will say ,

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
Does anyone have any update today on Atkins?

All I’ve heard so far is no broken bones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: