RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Two schools of thought on the president

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/18 11:45 am    ::: Two schools of thought on the president Reply Reply with quote

A must read

Quote:
On the second count, that the President is 'just like the rest of us', he is the most powerful man in the world. If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous. Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.

PostPosted: 08/07/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. Maybe he can exorcise some of the moral turpitude that surrounds him now.

Or not. Razz

PostPosted: 08/07/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately hypocrisy is rampant in politics. Liberals, moderates and conservatives have all engaged in massive flip-flops on moral issues as they relate to the president, or the application of very similar fact patterns based on the party of the people involved. It is one thing to honestly grow on an issue, but more often opinions are stated solely based on the political advantage of the moment.

Certainly this article shows that basic hypocrisy, but when I know that nearly every politician over 50 has engaged in it I can't get too worked up. I just hope that it would serve as a warning to people that you should base your opinions on truly held concerns, and that you should imagine the same fact pattern with alternate people before you become too wedded to an extreme or absolutist position.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/07/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Unfortunately hypocrisy is rampant in politics. Liberals, moderates and conservatives have all engaged in massive flip-flops on moral issues as they relate to the president, or the application of very similar fact patterns based on the party of the people involved. It is one thing to honestly grow on an issue, but more often opinions are stated solely based on the political advantage of the moment.

Certainly this article shows that basic hypocrisy, but when I know that nearly every politician over 50 has engaged in it I can't get too worked up. I just hope that it would serve as a warning to people that you should base your opinions on truly held concerns, and that you should imagine the same fact pattern with alternate people before you become too wedded to an extreme or absolutist position.

All true enough, but it carries enough severity in its gravitas AND is such a 180 from the situation he now finds himself in, that I'd say he richly deserves a righteous Crow Banquet.

There are degrees of hypocrisy in politics, imo: Deciding Iran is an enemy, then maybe not? Tax cuts help or hurt? Flip-flopping on such things is de rigeur. BUT: when you sound off judgmentally on "morality" in the political arena, tread very cautiously, Mikey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: