someone else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/18 7:24 am    ::: MVP Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 08/06/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Stewart's to lose at this point. If Dallas had a better record, Liz would be giving Breanna a solid race to the finish. But right now it's:

1. Stewart
2. Cambage
3. Hayes
4. Parker
5. Delle Donne

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 08/06/18 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

back on the Stewie DopplerTrain!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Liz has a solid chance as long as Dallas finishes above .500 sad thats even in contention right now .

PostPosted: 08/06/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Hayes because Tip should totally be in the talk for MVP this season. She's had an amazing season and her offense is a huge part of why Atlanta is booming right now. Plus she's also really upped her defense this year and has been shutting down some key opponents during their streak.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/06/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I think Liz has a solid chance as long as Dallas finishes above .500 sad thats even in contention right now .

They were 16-18 last season without her. So that would mean only 2-3 extra wins for them with her. Not really most value able right..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

They were 16-18 last season without her. So that would mean only 2-3 extra wins for them with her. Not really most value able right..

Its not the players fault were losing , this is no secret . The only valid response you can use for Stewie over Liz is the Team record and that's directed moreso at the coaches than the surrounding players. Liz has been the best most dominant player in this league this season , but having a faulty coach could cost her the award.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Its not the players fault were losing , this is no secret . The only valid response you can use for Stewie over Liz is the Team record and that's directed moreso at the coaches than the surrounding players. Liz has been the best most dominant player in this league this season , but having a faulty coach could cost her the award.

I do concur.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being dominant in losses does not mean you're an MVP.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I voted for Hayes because Tip should totally be in the talk for MVP this season. She's had an amazing season and her offense is a huge part of why Atlanta is booming right now. Plus she's also really upped her defense this year and has been shutting down some key opponents during their streak.

Hayes has been great. And, in a "fair" world, she'd have a real chance (and I say this as someone who doesn't necessarily like Hayes). But this is Stewart's award to lose. Unless Seattle collapses down the stretch, and Atlanta catches them for the best record, Hayes has no shot.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:

Being consistently dominant , more so than any other player in the league but losing due to coaching means what then ? Seattle has the same set up as the wings . No bird they lose , No Diggins we lose. So are Stewie and Liz the Most valuable ? Thats another discussion , but we can take that route if losses are determining factor. Another argument could be seattle has a 3rd option . Something Dallas has needed sorely this season. See the last 2 games no diggins and its all cambage all the time. I wont flip a wig if she doesnt win , but there's an argument that she is the best player in the league. Heck she is in my mind , but wont win MVP bc of a horrible coach .

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 08/06/18 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Stewart and her team are doing too well for the media panel to hand out a charity MVP this year.

Now if Wilson's team could have made it to .500, that would have been a good story for the league to have a rookie as MVP, but even that might have been too big of a stretch considering how well Stewart and the Storm are doing.

Stewart and the Storm would have to drop off a cliff from this point on for her to not be awarded MVP.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream went 1-2 when Hayes was out. In the game she got hurt and her first game back she played under 20 minutes and Atlanta lost both (one of them a blowout against woeful Indiana). We're 17-6 when Tip plays 20+ minutes.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Being consistently dominant , more so than any other player in the league but losing due to coaching means what then ? Seattle has the same set up as the wings . No bird they lose , No Diggins we lose. So are Stewie and Liz the Most valuable ? Thats another discussion , but we can take that route if losses are determining factor. Another argument could be seattle has a 3rd option . Something Dallas has needed sorely this season. See the last 2 games no diggins and its all cambage all the time. I wont flip a wig if she doesnt win , but there's an argument that she is the best player in the league. Heck she is in my mind , but wont win MVP bc of a horrible coach .

Right now, Cambage is basically the DeMarcus Cousins of the WNBA. Could it be coaching? Possibly, but it's unlikely to be all coaching. I say that as a fan of both players.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Its not the players fault were losing , this is no secret . The only valid response you can use for Stewie over Liz is the Team record and that's directed moreso at the coaches than the surrounding players.

This has literally been the criteria for determining the MVP since the league existed though. MVP is more of a team record/teammates/coach award combined in one, IMO. Laughing

Time to call a spade a spade, Cambage is having an amazing season, but it’s Stewart’s to lose..

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Right now, Cambage is basically the DeMarcus Cousins of the WNBA. Could it be coaching? Possibly, but it's unlikely to be all coaching. I say that as a fan of both players.

Not an accurate comparison.

Cousins was a top performer on a perpetually losing team (Sacramento). He did better in New Orleans, but the Pelicans took off (and upset Portland in the playoffs) when Mirotic-Davis was the primary frontcourt (and also starting Rondo at the point and moving Holiday off the ball).

Cambage is a dominant force in the WNBA and a main reason why the Wings are in playoff contention, even after losing Chrismtas-Kelly to a season-ending injury, missing Glory Johnson for a few games, having the two 2017 rookies (Gray, Davis) regress or at least not take the next steps in their development, etc.

If you mean to say the two players are mercurial post players, well, then yes, that comparison could be accurate. But that is about it.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Cousins was a top performer on a perpetually losing team (Sacramento). He did better in New Orleans, but the Pelicans took off (and upset Portland in the playoffs) when Mirotic-Davis was the primary frontcourt (and also starting Rondo at the point and moving Holiday off the ball).

This, while not entirely inaccurate, is misleading, because it implies that Cousins was holding New Orleans back, something for which there is no counterfactual. The Pelicans were observably worse after Cousins got injured, and that Mirotic/Davis frontcourt happened in the wake of a desperation trade. To say that they took off when Mirotic/Davis "was the primary frontcourt", to someone who didn't watch the games, makes it sound like they had Mirotic the whole time, since before Cousins got injured, and that him being injured unleashed the potency of the lineup, and that's not the way that happened. New Orleans re-tooled their entire roster, on the fly, after Cousins got injured: they traded for the guy who ended up becoming their starting PF, they signed a backup center, because the coach refused to play the guys they already had for that role (which contributed to Cousins getting injured in the first place), they finally got back healthy the guy who they had originally projected to be their Opening Day starter at SF, who didn't play a single game with Cousins, and even missed like the first 8 games after Cousins went down. Two guys started for New Orleans in the playoffs who weren't even on the team when Cousins got injured, so there's no way to know what that team would have looked like with those guys and a healthy Cousins. It would be like saying that the Dream got better after they got rid of Bria Holmes: it's not un-true, but it's also kind of intellectually dishonest.

As far as why I say it's not "entirely" accurate, the part about how they took off when they started Rondo at point guard is completely ahistorical: Rondo was starting at point guard the whole time. There was only one game where he was available to play, while Cousins was healthy, that he did not start. Now, Rondo wasn't available at the start of the season, because he was injured, which forced New Orleans to play Holiday at point guard, but once he was available (which he was for two whole months before Cousins tore his Achilles), he was the starting point guard, not Holiday. Point being that Holiday playing off the ball didn't appreciably factor into them "taking off," nearly so much as the fact that Holiday's scoring leveled up because he only had to share the ball with one superstar, instead of two.

Cousins and Cambage are both mercurial players, who are best known for being dominant on teams that don't win. They are also known for having people who are quick to point out how it's everything else but them.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Aja were to get LV to .500 then she's possible MVP but Cambage keeping this team a float and above .500 means less ?

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure whom that's addressed to (since you didn't quote anybody) but, just in case you were talking to me, I don't think that Wilson belongs in the MVP conversation, either.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The merits of the MVP candidates can be argued all night long, but Stewart will get the MVP. Doesn't even matter if Seattle falls off a cliff for the remaining games. Voting may already be taking place and certainly voters have already made up their minds.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Cambage had 16 games with 20 pts or more. Stewart had 21 games with 20 pts or more

Cambage had 10 games where she scored 25+ pts and Stewart had 15 games with 25 pts or more.

And both had 5 games where they scored 30 pts or more. So i dont know where the hell you get the idea that Cambage has been consistently been more dominant then Stewart...

Wings are on a 5 game losing streak. Diggins played 30+ minutes in the first 3 games of that streak..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 08/06/18 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Doesn't even matter if Seattle falls off a cliff for the remaining games.

It would matter, but it's not likely to happen.

Randy wrote:
Voting may already be taking place and certainly voters have already made up their minds.

Why?

TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Cambage had 16 games with 20 pts or more. Stewart had 21 games with 20 pts or more

Cambage had 10 games where she scored 25+ pts and Stewart had 15 games with 25 pts or more.

And both had 5 games where they scored 30 pts or more. So i dont know where the hell you get the idea that Cambage has been consistently been more dominant then Stewart...

Wings are on a 5 game losing streak. Diggins played 30+ minutes in the first 3 games of that streak..

She is dominating Stewie I think the technical foul category Twisted Evil Laughing

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

What's the double-double count?

Cambage also needed to be assessed 6 techicals before she decided to behave herself.

That might be used if a tie-breaker is needed, but it's not even really close unless maybe Dallas wins out and Seattle falls off a cliff.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Aladyyn wrote:

Ok calm down , Liz is 1st in Scoring and 2nd in rebounding . Thats where i get that from , she also broke the scoring record and average 30+ for almost 5 to 6 games straight. Has 13 double doubles this season compared to stewies 7. The last 7 games Cambage has average 33 PPG 12 Rebs 3 APG. Stewies last 7 games 24 PPG 8 Rebs 2.7 APG. I would include the total season #'s but if Liz is leading in scoring and ahead in Rebs their's no need. The Scoring race is tied now after stewies game today. Not saying Stewie is not deserving , she's had an amazing season but how the hell can you say she's having the best season in the league without having the best overall Numbers ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: