RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How the WNBA Stood Up to Trump and Won Fans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:31 am    ::: How the WNBA Stood Up to Trump and Won Fans Reply Reply with quote

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/04/wnba-trump-protest-politics-sports-219155

Quote:
the WNBA’s “Take a Seat, Take a Stand” campaign is not only a direct rebuke to the president’s treatment of women, but an attempt to align the interests of every one of the league’s constituent groups: players, owners and fans. It is a never-before-attempted gambit to provide a jolt of enthusiasm by grabbing hold of a lightning rod in a political thunderstorm.

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:43 am    ::: Re: How the WNBA Stood Up to Trump and Won Fans Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/04/wnba-trump-protest-politics-sports-219155

Quote:
the WNBA’s “Take a Seat, Take a Stand” campaign is not only a direct rebuke to the president’s treatment of women, but an attempt to align the interests of every one of the league’s constituent groups: players, owners and fans. It is a never-before-attempted gambit to provide a jolt of enthusiasm by grabbing hold of a lightning rod in a political thunderstorm.

I gotta say, this is one of the things the league is doing right.

I remember when I first started watching the WNBA, and they were afraid of acknowledging that some players were gay..and the “this is who I am” ads were the leagues ideas of marketing.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As with most things WNBA, this is a mixed bag. To the extent that supporting the WNBA is seen as a cause it can attract some additional patrons. It can also lose some potential fans that might otherwise be attracted but don't like the politics. In the short run it is probably a winning strategy, but I'm not sure if people who are not otherwise sports fans will become long-term supporters.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/06/18 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

quite a turn around from current WNBA President Borders who felt the need to take to task certain teams who silently protested the treatment/deaths of black men by police. for those keeping score: PLAYERS 1, BORDERS 0

PostPosted: 08/06/18 9:35 am    ::: Re: How the WNBA Stood Up to Trump and Won Fans Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I gotta say, this is one of the things the league is doing right.

I remember when I first started watching the WNBA, and they were afraid of acknowledging that some players were gay..and the “this is who I am” ads were the leagues ideas of marketing.

Yes. I'd add this: it wasn't just that the WNBA was afraid of acknowledging that some players were gay. They did all they could to conceal the fact that lesbians were a significant core of the fan base.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: