16%  [ 9 ]
Game is played on August 20 if there are playoff implications
44%
 44%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 56

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
However it turns out, the ESPN poll, like other polls where the respondents are not chosen at random but instead select themselves, is of course of no scientific validity. (But with fewer than 500 respondents so far, the poll might wind up showing how few people there are who read the ESPN W site and/or cared enough about this article to open it and click on the poll.)

I didn't vote because I can see both sides. If that were an option, I would have voted.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going from Indiana to Chicago is not exactly a good example.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To go back to the original poll options, I don't see how you can play the game on the 20th. Both teams play on the 19th. Either or both could easily be playing on the 21st in the first-round of the playoffs. And the result of the game could easily mix up the order, so other teams wouldn't even know which city they needed to be in on the 21st until that game was finished on the 20th.

And if you try shifting the games from the 21st (assuming ESPN were okay with that) then you run into issues with the next round, scheduled for the 23rd. It just doesn't seem like there's room to leave a game that could affect so much until that late.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leaving Las Vegas 1:13 PM PDT which is 4:13 EDT arriving 10PM EDT in DC putting the team inside of the 24 hour window of the Game starting at 7:00 PM EDT the next day. Whoever scheduled the Aces departure flight from Las Vegas should've scheduled an earlier departure flight. The Aces could've easily flown into BWI instead of DCA aka Reagan. I live in Maryland not far from the MGM National Harbor and have used all three airports BWI, DCA and IAD

Last edited by SportsGuru on 08/06/18 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now everyone is apart of aviation here Laughing. No offense just getting good entertainment from the boards view. In my eyes a forfeiture is enough punishment and it helps my wings stay in 8th Laughing. Rescheduling would be rough but im sure theres a day somewhere.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And as they illustrated, ultimately it is their choice. But as they admitted in their original statement, when making that choice you're aware that there may be consequences that come along with it.

I think at this point either in print, video or audio I've heard Reeve, Agler, Thibault and Miller all say that travel issues are part and parcel of this league, and that they would've expected to play in that situation.

Those are all coaches, who are management. I haven't heard from players on other teams, and particularly from the Mystics, speak up.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
And as they illustrated, ultimately it is their choice. But as they admitted in their original statement, when making that choice you're aware that there may be consequences that come along with it.

I think at this point either in print, video or audio I've heard Reeve, Agler, Thibault and Miller all say that travel issues are part and parcel of this league, and that they would've expected to play in that situation.

Those are all coaches, who are management. I haven't heard from players on other teams, and particularly from the Mystics, speak up.

Pretty sure I posted Currie’s view somewhere. She was surprised they didn’t show.

Here:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=94876&start=67

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/06/18 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Mo Currie said she would've played the game if she was one of the Aces players.

https://twitter.com/gene_wang/status/1025536692508344321

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/06/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's Monique Currie, Vice President of the Players' Association, by the way.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kinda looks like there’s three vice presidents.
http://es.pn/2dyLjC3

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/07/18 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

So Are we saying one or both the ogwumikes and possibly Clarendon said "Dont play" ???

PostPosted: 08/07/18 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what the Aces players did can be likened to civil disobedience, taking action to accomplish something that they thought would be a good thing (not having to play after such a travel nightmare), but that here became a unilateral act in violation of governing rules (players alone can't decide not play a game). In such a situation, those taking the act have to be willing to accept the consequences (and indeed the Aces put out a statement that they were).

In a sports league, the consequence of players unilaterally deciding not to play a game would be a forfeit.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/07/18 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen comments by some of the WNBA Head Coaches about the Aces players refusing to play against the Mystics. I wonder who among the current WNBA Head Coaches or GMs will want a fringe Aces player on their team, Aja Wilson and a few others might not be effective but quite a few of the other Aces players might've put their future WNBA careers in jeopardy.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/07/18 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Going from Indiana to Chicago is not exactly a good example.

Those are the only scheduled back-to-backs in different time zones

PostPosted: 08/07/18 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

So Are we saying one or both the ogwumikes and possibly Clarendon said "Dont play" ???

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/sports/wnba-las-vegas-aces-boycott.html

Quote:
“For the union, the discussion has been ongoing,” Clarendon said of the travel issues. “We’ve had a lot of calls lately discussing what the most important issues are for us — travel, salaries and overall player wellness.”

“I am personally in support of it,” she continued.

Quote:
“The players decided, no matter what the W.N.B.A.’s decision was, that they would take this action,” Chiney Ogwumike said. “At the end of the day, Vegas made its own decision and the union is here to support them.”

PostPosted: 08/07/18 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unions usually support the members who get in trouble with managment. Even the NFL union supported the bounty gate players even though they hurt other union members.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/07/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like to me with little time left in the WNBA regular season, the WNBA League Office is running the clock out which will leave no other choice but to issue a forfeiture decision against the Aces

Randy

PostPosted: 08/07/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a really important decision and may be a significant precedent. If the new Mystics arena is in as dangerous of a location as Artbest and others have said, in the future opposing teams might just demand to play in a safer location.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/07/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
This is a really important decision and may be a significant precedent. If the new Mystics arena is in as dangerous of a location as Artbest and others have said, in the future opposing teams might just demand to play in a safer location.

Oh please . . .

greg5222

PostPosted: 08/07/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I think what the Aces players did can be likened to civil disobedience, taking action to accomplish something that they thought would be a good thing (not having to play after such a travel nightmare), but that here became a unilateral act in violation of governing rules (players alone can't decide not play a game). In such a situation, those taking the act have to be willing to accept the consequences (and indeed the Aces put out a statement that they were).

In a sports league, the consequence of players unilaterally deciding not to play a game would be a forfeit.

You are supposed to get permission to not work and if you don't you are AWOL to which there are consequences. Forfeiture, last pick in the 1st round, fine MGM, no pay for the players. A STRONG message should be sent so that behavior will NEVER EVER HAPPEN AGAIN. If the W says don't play is one thing. Deciding not to play w/o permission from the WNBA was wrong.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/07/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if they go as hard as fofeiting or affecting the draft picks. Maybe the 'loss' doesn't count for lottery odds, but no more than that. Even if they decide it's a forfeit and Washington automatically get the win, the League aren't going to want to look like they just prioritise getting on the damn court at all costs regardless of player safety. And if the punishment is really strong they'd get jumped on for that. People gloss over monetary fines but messing with the picks would make it a bigger story.

Also the Aces might argue that it was a group of players who decided not to play - and draft pick punishment would be to the franchise instead. This has gotten thorny and there are enough people on both sides of the argument that whatever the league decides is probably going to be decried as an awful decision by a whole bunch of people.

PostPosted: 08/07/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'll be surprised if they go as hard as fofeiting or affecting the draft picks. Maybe the 'loss' doesn't count for lottery odds, but no more than that. Even if they decide it's a forfeit and Washington automatically get the win, the League aren't going to want to look like they just prioritise getting on the damn court at all costs regardless of player safety. And if the punishment is really strong they'd get jumped on for that. People gloss over monetary fines but messing with the picks would make it a bigger story.

Also the Aces might argue that it was a group of players who decided not to play - and draft pick punishment would be to the franchise instead. This has gotten thorny and there are enough people on both sides of the argument that whatever the league decides is probably going to be decried as an awful decision by a whole bunch of people.

+1 Preach

PostPosted: 08/07/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1026852542196604928

Quote:
A WNBA spokesperson tells WomensHoopsWorld that "there is no set date or time" to announce whether or not the Aces' game cancellation last Friday is a forfeiture.

PostPosted: 08/07/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I agree, forfeiture, no messing with the draft picks.

But MGM ought to reimburse Momental for all the refunded tix and the costs of opening the arena.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/07/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/1026852542196604928

Quote:
A WNBA spokesperson tells WomensHoopsWorld that "there is no set date or time" to announce whether or not the Aces' game cancellation last Friday is a forfeiture.

Which sounds like the league is waiting to see if the game will have playoff implications. And considering how tight spots 2-8 are currently they really should make a decision soon.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: