Game is played on August 20 if there are playoff implications
44%
 44%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 56

pilight

PostPosted: 08/04/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Pilight...

If the game isn't made up, will you count the Aces Mystics debacle as a game for the players on both rosters in your quickest to milestone lists ?

No, it's only games they actually play in that count

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Pilight...

If the game isn't made up, will you count the Aces Mystics debacle as a game for the players on both rosters in your quickest to milestone lists ?

Really? Mystics get to count baskets that don't go in. They get do overs on free throws that don't go in. Why shouldn't they get to count games that were never played?

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 08/05/18 5:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am surprised that no one on this board has accused Bill of creating the storm that cancelled the flight. That would fit in really well with the theory that Bill is trying to tank this season to get better lottery odds. Seriously??? Is it emotion or just plain ignorance talking?

Sorry Coach T but it wouldn't have been any better to get a bus instead of flying. Doesn't work the same when going West to East (or vice versa) as it is going from Connecticut to New York. For the time it takes to get into an airport, board the plane, fly to destination, get off the plane, and pick up luggage, you could probably take a bus from Connecticut to New York in less time and be more rested. You might even get from Connecticut to Washington DC in shorter time.

The thought that MGM could just contact someone (anyone including Wayne Newton) in Vegas with a jet and have it available and ready to fly on no notice - with the owner willing to part with it, is even more ludicrous.

I think the ACES were in their rights to do exactly what they did. I do not believe it was a conspiracy theory to try and get an advantage in the lottery. I do believe they had every right to consider their health.

The situation is unfortunate. But I think the league has no choice be to reschedule the game ASAP. It may have to be on an inconvenient date and at a different venue, but it needs to be played. There are too many variables that can/will be impacted (and not to just the two teams directly involved) for them not to play the game. If they want to maintain their integrity, IMO, they need to make sure the game happens.

The statement made is from the players to the fans. I don't think the team or coaches can made an official statement without the league approval. And the league needs to do it's proper research, etc.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 08/05/18 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Pilight...

Really? Mystics get to count baskets that don't go in. They get do overs on free throws that don't go in. Why shouldn't they get to count games that were never played?

Because, silly Randy Smile, to count the game would include the entire team, not just Princess Delle Donne.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/05/18 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:

I think the ACES were in their rights to do exactly what they did. I do not believe it was a conspiracy theory to try and get an advantage in the lottery. I do believe they had every right to consider their health.

What "rights" were those? Neither the WNBA's rules nor the CBA gives players the right under those governing documents to decide not to play. Sure, any employee of any employer may decide at any time not to show up for work, but that decision can have consequences. Here, the LV players were at least candid enough to recognize that their decision not to play might have consequences.

Quote:
Swords said that the team met, talked by phone to the union on Friday and then called the league to express their decision not to play Friday night.

“We requested the game be postponed and rescheduled and understood there may be consequences for this,” she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/aces-waiting-to-hear-wnba-decision-on-canceled-game/2018/08/04/a5c23468-984b-11e8-818b-e9b7348cd87d_story.html?utm_term=.c3fe531ea14a

As for "conspiracy theories," I do not engage in them nor live my life on the grassy knoll. I have, however, observed Bill Laimbeer for many years; to say he's no shrinking violet would be an understatement. It's hard to believe that if Laimbeer had wanted his players to play once they arrived in DC, they would not have played. It's hard to visualize a different dynamic going on with the players, certainly with all the players, if Laimbeer had said to them "Hey, we are here, you are professionals, we are going to play this game."

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/05/18 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The house always wins.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Pilight...

Because, silly Randy Smile, to count the game would include the entire team, not just Princess Delle Donne.

G. W. H.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
Sorry Coach T but it wouldn't have been any better to get a bus instead of flying. Doesn't work the same when going West to East (or vice versa) as it is going from Connecticut to New York. For the time it takes to get into an airport, board the plane, fly to destination, get off the plane, and pick up luggage, you could probably take a bus from Connecticut to New York in less time and be more rested. You might even get from Connecticut to Washington DC in shorter time.

Thibault never said anything about them using a bus. That was merely used as an example of where he'd done everything possible to get his team to a game, and then they'd played. I appreciate that air travel vs coach travel is different, but Thibault's Sun team arrived less than an hour before tip-off of that game and played anyway. From what I understand, the Aces finally got to Washington something like six hours before this game was meant to be played. That's enough time to grab a nap, some food, and even hoist up a couple of shots before having to play. Thibault's point was basically that once they were there, he felt they should've played.

As for medical professionals deciding it was a risk of injury, well yeah. Limited rest increases that risk. That's true for every sports team around the world when they're playing soon after travel or another game. What counts as acceptable risk entirely depends on the person, the doctor, and what you want them to say for your purposes.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the WNBA deems it necessary to punish the Las Vegas Aces I believe a fair punishment would be
A) The Aces forfeit their game against the Mystics.
B) The Aces also forfeit their participation in the 2019 draft lottery. If the Aces don't make the playoffs this season then they will only get the fourth pick of the 2019 draft.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
...From what I understand, the Aces finally got to Washington something like six hours before this game was meant to be played. That's enough time to grab a nap, some food, and even hoist up a couple of shots before having to play. Thibault's point was basically that once they were there, he felt they should've played. ...

I believe they arrived at the airport 5 hours before revised game time. I have no idea how long it would take to collect their gear and get to the arena in evening traffic, apparently eons according to one post here. Their hotel rooms were for the night before, so I doubt a nap was feasible unless there were quiet facilities at the arena, and they still needed to find food, and they'd missed their scheduled shoot-around.

I'm on the fence about this whole thing, but I think the players faced some real disadvantages here, and to me, the bottom line is that league travel regulations and team management ineptitude put the players in a very difficult spot. And that shouldn't ever happen.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 08/05/18 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
...From what I understand, the Aces finally got to Washington something like six hours before this game was meant to be played. That's enough time to grab a nap, some food, and even hoist up a couple of shots before having to play. Thibault's point was basically that once they were there, he felt they should've played. ...

I believe they arrived at the airport 5 hours before revised game time. I have no idea how long it would take to collect their gear and get to the arena in evening traffic, apparently eons according to one post here. Their hotel rooms were for the night before, so I doubt a nap was feasible unless there were quiet facilities at the arena, and they still needed to find food, and they'd missed their scheduled shoot-around.

No; the LV players, unlike the fans, were not traveling into downtown DC in evening rush hour traffic. They arrived at National Airport, across the river from DC and less than five miles from where the arena is, at about 2:45 pm from what I read. They had plenty of time to get their stuff and get on their bus into the city well before the crunch of rush hour. In fact, they got to their hotel at about 3:45 pm. (They did still have hotel rooms.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mystics/aces-waiting-to-hear-wnba-decision-on-canceled-game/2018/08/04/a5c23468-984b-11e8-818b-e9b7348cd87d_story.html?utm_term=.6f799adb92f7

The fans, in sharp contrast, were coming in later for a game that was originally scheduled for 7pm (and then moved back to 8pm).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/05/18 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
If the WNBA deems it necessary to punish the Las Vegas Aces I believe a fair punishment would be
A) The Aces forfeit their game against the Mystics.
B) The Aces also forfeit their participation in the 2019 draft lottery. If the Aces don't make the playoffs this season then they will only get the fourth pick of the 2019 draft.

Lol of course NY fans would want this Laughing

PostPosted: 08/05/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My question is did the WNBA league office authorize LV not to play?

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 08/05/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
My question is did the WNBA league office authorize LV not to play?

It would seem not, since the LV players themselves say they told the league they were not going to play and asked for the game to be postponed and rescheduled, and have not stated that the league said fine, don’t play. You’d think if they had been given authorization by the league not to play, the players would have said so in the statement they released. They did not get the postponement and rescheduling they had requested; the league cancelled the game.

Last edited by CourtsideTix on 08/05/18 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
greg5222

PostPosted: 08/05/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the league did not authorize LV not to play and the decision not to play was made by the players then it is a forfeit whatever the reason. Unfortunate maybe but valid.

PostPosted: 08/05/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None of the articles I've read has disclosed the name of the airline which caused this. Why is that? That company deserves to be on our do-not-patronize list.

"According to Maxwell, that flight was delayed until 2, then to 6, then to 10, before eventually getting cancelled for mechanical issues. Yikes." https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/8/3/17647480/las-vegas-aces-flight-delayed-washington-mystics-commercial-flights

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/05/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
None of the articles I've read has disclosed the name of the airline which caused this. Why is that? That company deserves to be on our do-not-patronize list.

"According to Maxwell, that flight was delayed until 2, then to 6, then to 10, before eventually getting cancelled for mechanical issues. Yikes." https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/8/3/17647480/las-vegas-aces-flight-delayed-washington-mystics-commercial-flights

I'm sure flight issues happen all the time. It's not as if they airlines purposely created mechanical issues to this specific plane or has a history have having mechanical problems with various planes, why do they deserve to be on the "do-not-patronize list"?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/05/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

FWIW the original flight (that was cancelled) was American Airlines. It is always a hassle when flights are delayed or cancelled, but I can understand why the Aces would have wanted to take it as it is one of the few non-stop flights from LV into National Airport. I agree with GEF34 that this is not a reason to boycott the airline because these things happen. Hopefully they don't happen too often.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/05/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

FWIW the original flight (that was cancelled) was American Airlines. It is always a hassle when flights are delayed or cancelled, but I can understand why the Aces would have wanted to take it as it is one of the few non-stop flights from LV into National Airport. I agree with GEF34 that this is not a reason to boycott the airline because these things happen. Hopefully they don't happen too often.

Probably their biggest mistake was to stay at the airport at 10. Should have gone to a hotel and then tried to find a flight for the next morning (sounds like what the Fever did). If they didn't make it in time would have been the airlines fault, not their choice.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/06/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘Really Bold Move’: W.N.B.A. Union Praises Aces’ Boycott After 25-Hour Trip

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/sports/wnba-las-vegas-aces-boycott.html

Quote:
“For the union, the discussion has been ongoing,” Clarendon said of the travel issues. “We’ve had a lot of calls lately discussing what the most important issues are for us — travel, salaries and overall player wellness.”

“I am personally in support of it,” she continued. “If an injury happens in that game, that’s a lot of money and physical wellness to lose. I applaud them for making the decision. They are fighting for the playoffs. It’s a really bold move to stick up for yourself like that.”

PostPosted: 08/06/18 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
‘Really Bold Move’: W.N.B.A. Union Praises Aces’ Boycott After 25-Hour Trip

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/sports/wnba-las-vegas-aces-boycott.html

Quote:
“For the union, the discussion has been ongoing,” Clarendon said of the travel issues. “We’ve had a lot of calls lately discussing what the most important issues are for us — travel, salaries and overall player wellness.”

“I am personally in support of it,” she continued. “If an injury happens in that game, that’s a lot of money and physical wellness to lose. I applaud them for making the decision. They are fighting for the playoffs. It’s a really bold move to stick up for yourself like that.”

Nice! Love the move by the Union.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight should have quoted the most important part of the article, an opinion by Curt Miller.

Quote:
“We would have played,” said Miller, a former assistant to Brian Agler in Los Angeles. “Quite frankly, one of the things that was hammered down my throat by Brian Agler was that you have to go with the flow with travel in this league. We’ve all had travel challenges. There is no perfect scenario. To me, it was a surprising decision.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/06/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
pilight wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Pilight...

#HateHard Approved!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/06/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's evidence from Carolyn Swords own words the Aces' Players planned not playing the game against the Mystics before landing in Washington, D.C.

I believe the Aces Management didn't put out great effort to find a charter flight after the WNBA League Office gave approval.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm amazed we don't have an announcement today. By the end of the week hopefully?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: