WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Watch me refuse to work.

Laughing Laughing Laughing *Im Deceased* Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/08/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Watch me refuse to work.

You mean call in? People do that all the time. I imagine most people who went through a travel nightmare like the Aces did would do so.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Giving away a forfeit game will likely cost a few of the Aces players jobs in the WNBA next season.

I don't know Carolyn Swords as well as the Liberty and Storm Fans, what kind of grade would you give her as a leader of a young team ?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Giving away a forfeit game will likely cost a few of the Aces players jobs in the WNBA next season.

I don't know Carolyn Swords as well as the Liberty and Storm Fans, what kind of grade would you give her as a leader of a young team ?

Laughing Like who ? I doubt any head coach or GM would even remember this starting next season . Its hot and fresh news for now , but next season and seasons to come i doubt this stops any GM from adding per say "Kayla Mcbride , Kelsey Plum , Nia Coffey , Swords , Aja or Bone..well maybe not bone but thats for other reasons.... Swords will have a job next season as well . If she doesn't it will be due to her retirement or being replaced by Mccowan or Brown . most likely .

PostPosted: 08/08/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a bunch of sissy weak sisters.

Boo hoo, didn't get much sleep or eat my usual portion of junk food, and I'm afeared of injury and serious medical problems. What a crock!

People in all jobs and walks of life go to work with little or no sleep and food. My wife regularly worked triple shifts as a nurse in her 20's. Doctors work 40 hour shifts as interns. I've gone three days without sleep -- or a little sleep on conference room floors -- during merger negotiations. Every day, all over the world, people sleep in airports, on buses and the back seats of cars. People, including single mothers, work two and three jobs to support their families. There's nothing special, heroic or even unusual about any of these examples. It's life.

Congratulations to the Las Vega Aces for being the first known professional team to refuse to play a game a couple of miles away because they were too tuckered out.

I don't believe for 40 winks that Laimbeer didn't approve this, tacitly if not explicitly.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
People in all jobs and walks of life go to work with little or no sleep and food. My wife regularly worked triple shifts as a nurse in her 20's. Doctors work 40 hour shifts as interns. I've gone three days without sleep -- or a little sleep on conference room floors -- during merger negotiations. Every day, all over the world, people sleep in airports, on buses and the back seats of cars. People, including single mothers, work two and three jobs to support their families. There's nothing special, heroic or even unusual about any of these examples. It's life.

None of those people are required to perform high level athletic feats under those conditions. It's not a fair comparison.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

None of those people are required to perform high level athletic feats under those conditions. It's not a fair comparison.

+1

PostPosted: 08/08/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

The Globetrotters played hundreds of games a year sleeping and eating in the back seats of cars before they even had a rickety bus. So did just about every barnstorming athletic team in history, including women's basketball teams such as the All American Red Heads, who in their first year "played 133 games in six months, traveling to nearly 30 states. . . . The All American Red Heads traveled cross-country, playing to packed houses almost every night. Occasionally they played double-headers."

Compare the tradition in the theater, circus and other entertainment jobs, where, even if you break a leg, "the show must go on."

Not to mention the millions and millions of military men and women in history, who have fought or otherwise served -- and still do -- under the harshest conditions of privation.

All these normal life examples include people who have to perform their jobs under with little rest and nutrition for long periods, regularly or even all the time. The sissy Las Vegas Aces couldn't perform under a minor stress condition just ONCE.

And the Aces were not only sissies -- they were self-absorbed, inconsiderate narcissists. They apparently didn't care about the thousands of fans who spent their time and money commuting to the arena, the money lost by the small business arena vendors, the ticket money lost and refunded by the other team, or the special significance of Breast Cancer Awareness Night.

Shameful. They all should be docked pay in addition to forfeiting the game. I also agree that steps should be taken so this cannot advantage the Aces in the lottery.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Watch me refuse to work.

You mean call in? People do that all the time. I imagine most people who went through a travel nightmare like the Aces did would do so.

To paraphrase a previous post above: There's no comparison. I'm surprised you tired to make one.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

The Globetrotters played hundreds of games a year sleeping and eating in the back seats of cars before they even had a rickety bus. So did just about every barnstorming athletic team in history, including women's basketball teams such as the All American Red Heads, who in their first year "played 133 games in six months, traveling to nearly 30 states. . . . The All American Red Heads traveled cross-country, playing to packed houses almost every night. Occasionally they played double-headers."

I don't really consider pointing back to a time when conditions were far worse than they are now, and we didn't know as much as we do now about the relationship between rest and health to be a point in your argument's favor, but maybe that's just me. It's like saying, "Remember how much hardier we used to be, back when we didn't have indoor plumbing?"

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/08/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about the WNBAPA doing their job before a problem happens. The WNBAPA should've done a better job negotiating the last contract that would've protective the players from strenuous traveling.

How about Bill Laimbeer and his front office staff looking at the Aces' WNBA schedule before the season started and plan flights accordingly. Bill Laimbeer and his staff scheduled a flight for 1:13 PM PDT which is 4:13 PNM EDT to one particular airport in the Wash DC area DCA Reagan National Airport when they could've had more options for a earlier flight from Las Vegas to BWI or Dulles Airport

Last edited by SportsGuru on 08/08/18 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/08/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
How about the WNBPA doing their job before a problem happens. The WNBAPA should've done a better job negotiating the last contract that would've protective the players from strenuous traveling.

How about Bill Laimbeer and his front office staff looking at the Aces' WNBA schedule before the season started and plan flights accordingly. Bill Laimbeer and his staff scheduled a flight for 1:13 PM PDT which is 4:13 PNM EDT to one particular airport in the Wash DC area DCA Reagan National Airport when they could've had more options for a earlier flight from Las Vegas to BWI or Dulles Airport

The CBA was entered into before the balanced schedule and new playoff format were instituted. Shouldn’t 4:13 ET be enough time to get to DC for a game the next night? They were at the airport at 11 their time after playing the night before. If the expectation is to arrive at the airport at the crack of dawn after playing the night before to fly cross country, to me that’s a problem the league needs to address. The players deserve better.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
How about the WNBPA doing their job before a problem happens. The WNBAPA should've done a better job negotiating the last contract that would've protective the players from strenuous traveling.

The CBA was entered into before the balanced schedule and new playoff format were instituted. Shouldn’t 4:13 ET be enough time to get to DC for a game the next night? They were at the airport at 11 their time after playing the night before. If the expectation is to arrive at the airport at the crack of dawn after playing the night before to fly cross country, to me that’s a problem the league needs to address. The players deserve better.

I would think the WNBAPA had to sign off on the Newer Balance Schedule after the last CBA was done that's when the WNBAPA should've re-negotiated for better travel arrangements for the players.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/08/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we know if the Aces' players were fined or docked a game check ?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/08/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

We do not.

PostPosted: 08/08/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

I'm thinking it will come out of the Players next paycheck or direct deposit to their financial account but Aces management publicly seem to be supporting the players so Aces Management might eat the players fines if there's a fine from WNBA League Office. I heard most Professional Sports Leagues pay per game in a twice a month pay period

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/08/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

I'm thinking it will come out of the Players next paycheck or direct deposit to their financial account but Aces management publicly seem to be supporting the players so Aces Management might eat the players fines if there's a fine from WNBA League Office. I heard most Professional Sports Leagues pay per game in a twice a month pay period

WNBA gets paid on the 1st & 15th . Im sure they players wont care about 2-400 dollars being docked out of there 2,000 dollar medical insurance money Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do players still get paid if they draw a DNP-Rest? Idea

If the entire team was put on a DNP-Rest by the coach, maybe they can avoid player fines and only draw team fines, which the management can pick up without skirting salary cap rules..
Confused

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/09/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They just said on the Vegas broadcast that the NBA has a rule that a team can’t travel through two time zones on the same day. Vegas traveled 3. Without a chartered flight or other travel perks that NBA players get. But that’s what happens when players are treated like investments instead of like the hired help. Just saying.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
They just said on the Vegas broadcast that the NBA has a rule that a team can’t travel through two time zones on the same day. Vegas traveled 3. Without a chartered flight or other travel perks that NBA players get. But that’s what happens when players are treated like investments instead of like the hired help. Just saying.

Yeah, I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of support by people on this board.

The players don’t want to hear about Vicki Johnson because 20+ years later, the WNBA should be better than that.

The league doesn’t get better if the players simply act like they are happy to be there, and don’t stick up for themselves.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Yeah, I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of support by people on this board.

The players don’t want to hear about Vicki Johnson because 20+ years later, the WNBA should be better than that.

The league doesn’t get better if the players simply act like they are happy to be there, and don’t stick up for themselves.

I agree with you. And I'll add that I think the travel now is even worse with the balanced schedule in the mix, so it's not even like we can say it's stayed the same. When status quo wouldn't even be acceptable anyway.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: