RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Freedom of Speech? Not in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/18 2:36 pm    ::: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Quote:
The lawsuit decries pressure from state regulators in the wake of the Parkland, Florida massacre — including a letter asking financial institutions to heed “the voices of the passionate, courageous, and articulate young people who have experienced this recent horror first hand” — and from the governor himself. In April, Cuomo tweeted: “I urge companies in New York State to revisit any ties they have to the NRA and consider their reputations, and responsibility to the public.”

PostPosted: 08/03/18 2:55 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Quote:
The lawsuit decries pressure from state regulators in the wake of the Parkland, Florida massacre — including a letter asking financial institutions to heed “the voices of the passionate, courageous, and articulate young people who have experienced this recent horror first hand” — and from the governor himself. In April, Cuomo tweeted: “I urge companies in New York State to revisit any ties they have to the NRA and consider their reputations, and responsibility to the public.”

Who are you claiming is having their freedom of speech violated?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/18 3:08 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

The NRA. Threatening government action against companies that do business with people whose speech you don't like is a pretty clear violation.

PostPosted: 08/03/18 3:24 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

The NRA. Threatening government action against companies that do business with people whose speech you don't like is a pretty clear violation.

Of course, there is no indication in the article that government action was threatened.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/03/18 3:43 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Of course, there is no indication in the article that government action was threatened.

Also, although citizens United is current law, corporate free speech is debatable.

Not only that, but New York isn’t preventing the NRA’s company mission. They are preventing the NRA from selling products that aid people in committing illegal acts..

PostPosted: 08/03/18 3:54 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Also, although citizens United is current law, corporate free speech is debatable.

Not only that, but New York isn’t preventing the NRA’s company mission. They are preventing the NRA from selling products that aid people in committing illegal acts..

They've already done that, but then they kept going

If we substituted Planned Parenthood for the NRA, the board would be singing a different tune

PostPosted: 08/03/18 4:07 pm    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

If we substituted Planned Parenthood for the NRA, the board would be singing a different tune

I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't claim something was happening that doesn't seem to be.

Again, there is no indication in the story you posted that Cuomo threatened government action. It is different than when the legislature in Georgia took legislative action against Delta because they chose to end a relationship with the NRA. That is government action against the free speech and association.

Right wingers love to accuse others of the things they themselves do.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/03/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight!! I'm very disappointed in you.... Razz I've not known you to *troll* quite like this before.

Quote:
In its complaint, the NRA paints these actions as a “malicious conspiracy to stifle the NRA’s speech and induce a boycott of the NRA.” Cuomo and state regulators, the NRA alleges, were intent on “suppressing the NRA’s pro-Second Amendment viewpoint” and had engaged in “unlawful conduct with the intent to obstruct, chill, deter, and retaliate against the NRA’s core political speech.”

That's some thin *painting*.

If government legislated that The Money People (sponsors, insurers, etc.) cease and desist from NRA support, they might have a case.

Is Roseanne's First Amendment privilege trampled by sponsors reacting to her crap, cancelling her show? Was Anita Bryant's Free Speech violated when orange juice companies no longer wanted her? If THE GOVERNMENT mandated such actions, then yes....but a person like Cuomo "urging" such considerations? Nahh....no more than Religious Right folks "urging" (demanding?) the shutdown of PP, etc.

PostPosted: 08/04/18 12:56 am    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

This is an interesting question. If the letter from the regulator was a statement that any relationship with the NRA would result in more heightened scrutiny of the financial institution then I would be quite concerned. The one quote seems problematic, but there is not enough context for me to know. As for Cuomo's tweet, that is certainly within the bounds of reasonable political speech. There is no direct or indirect threat in that tweet. If that is considered somehow outside the bounds of what a political leader can say, then "hallelujah, we will never have to hear Donald Trump ever say anything."

As I read the article the problem started with an improper insurance product, followed by an appropriate concern raised by regulators about what could be similar products. The one phrase cited seems inappropriate, but the broader context would be necessary. I suspect that insurers and certain banks were swayed far more by potential backlash from customers and bad publicity than this letter from regulators.

I agree that regulators should stay in their lane; it is not appropriate for a bank regulator to try to influence the type of client or business line that a bank or insurer has, unless it is inconsistent with regulation (e.g. red-lining) or it potentially impacts financial viability. I find it interesting that the NRA chooses to sue New York rather than the banks or insurers who are making their own business decisions. It seems like a real stretch.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/04/18 8:44 am    ::: Re: Freedom of Speech? Not in New York Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

It’s happening to the NRA though, so..thoughts and prayers.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/04/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuck the NRA, especially now that they're a conduit for Russian money flowing to the treasonous GOP.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: