Board Junkies Forums

I’m a W player. Men won’t stop challenging me to play 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/06/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
ClayK wrote:
No question misogyny is widespread and no question some of those who approach Peters and others are misogynistic. As a coach of women's and girls' sports since the '70s, the misogynists have approached me as well.

But there are those who ask questions, who are interested, who are not misogynistic, and are genuinely curious.

There may be truth to this, but I still find two problems with it: the first being, IMO, you appear to think that there are way more people who are "genuinely" curious than there actually are. Like, you talk about it like you think that the ratio of genuinely curious people to ain't-shit people who bother women athletes is close to 1:1, when the actual ratio is probably closer to 1:1000.

The second problem I have with it, to borrow (and probably misuse) an old baseball expression, tie goes to the runner. I am always going to give more benefit of the doubt, and have more empathy for the athlete who has to answer those questions a hundred times a day, than I am for the maybe/maybe-not "innocent" question asker. If only because of Occam's Razor: all things being equal, the likeliest explanation (again, IMO) is that the person asking questions is not asking out of genuine curiosity.

Yes on both counts.

PostPosted: 08/06/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Griner nodded in agreement, saying "... ain’t nobody going to Serena saying, ‘I’d beat you in tennis.' They just love to f--kin' hate women’s basketball. I don’t know what it is about women’s basketball.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2018/08/01/mercury-peters-hate-wnba/877761002/
https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/1024750892292009984

ClayK and I have had this discussion many, many times over the years.

The only male in recent memory who is claiming he can beat Serena Williams in tennis is John McEnroe.

Women's tennis - when played amongst the top players - does not look all that different from men's tennis (with the exception of grass, where the men's serving leads to shorter points and more aces). The top women have fast serves, with Venus and Serena regularly clocking 120+ miles per hour.

Women's basketball, by contrast, looks like an entirely different sport from the NBA (or even men's college basketball) - above the rim vs. below the rim. The average male fan can tune in and think, "I can make that three," or "I can make that layup." By contrast, the average male sports fan cannot dunk - and neither can the majority of WNBA players.

Now, perhaps this is an individual sport (tennis) vs. team sport (basketball). But do people say the same thing about the women's soccer national team? And if they do not, why is that?

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/06/18 1:10 pm    ::: Re: I’m a W player. Men won’t stop challenging me to pla Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/im-a-wnba-player-men-wont-stop-challenging-me-to-play-one-on-one/2018/08/02/2deabeb2-8f6b-11e8-bcd5-9d911c784c38_story.html

Quote:
Why risk what I do for a living to prove myself to a rough-and-tumble nobody, the kind of guy who has probably never played real basketball?

I thought it was a great article. I agree with Peters and thought that this was a great idea to bring this to light. I seen some comments that she is taking this personal. I don't think she is taking it personal. Its more that she and other female athletes are annoyed with little boys who hide behind a screen name and make derogatory comments because they want attention. Its getting old and it is a shame that some have to suffer for a small few attention seekers. This is todays America and you can hide behind a computer screen,say what you want and not have to be penalized for it.

The sad part is that most of these idiots don't understand that real basketball players respect the game and don't care who is playing. It is obvious from the support that NBA and other male athletes show by going to WNBA games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: