RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Remaining Schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 08/09/18 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Vegas is two games behind Dallas now for that #8 spot. That forfeit might become a deciding factor. The Vegas @ Dallas game on Aug. 17 might decide that #8 seed.

DALLAS (4H, 5A)
@ ATL, @ WAS, @ CON, vs. LAV, @ SEA

LAS VEGAS (5H, 4A)
vs. MIN, vs. IND, vs. NYL, @ DAL, vs. ATL

The forfeit game most likely would have been lost had they played.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/09/18 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Sue Bird's going to have a career in which she can say that she played with Lauren Jackson and Breanna Stewart. Talk about being in the right place at the right time all of the time.

And she played with Taurasi in college.

Although interestingly, it’s them that say they are/we’re lucky to play with her.

PostPosted: 08/09/18 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Vegas is two games behind Dallas now for that #8 spot. That forfeit might become a deciding factor. The Vegas @ Dallas game on Aug. 17 might decide that #8 seed.

DALLAS (4H, 5A)
@ ATL, @ WAS, @ CON, vs. LAV, @ SEA

LAS VEGAS (5H, 4A)
vs. MIN, vs. IND, vs. NYL, @ DAL, vs. ATL

The forfeit game most likely would have been lost had they played.

People do seem to ignore that a lot. Never mind playing after 25hrs of travel and minimal sleep - they'd have been underdogs if they'd been staying in a hotel next to the arena for the previous month and only had to walk over.

PostPosted: 08/11/18 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most teams only have 3-4 games left and teams 2-7 in the standing could still end up at No. 2 though realistically, it seems like the second spot is between Atlanta, DC and LA. Putting aside team loyalty, DC seems like the team the Dream have to worry about the most. (LA and DC play each other so one of them will lose one more game at least.)

The Sun loss to the Sky almost eliminates them from the 2nd spot, but they do have 4 home games including one against LA.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/11/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even without McCoughtry, the Dream have a somewhat easy schedule remaining. I see them locking up that #2 seed and Washington getting the #3 seed. The inconsistencies of Connecticut and Los Angeles could screw them both out of the #4 seed with Minnesota possibly sneaking in there. Vegas still needs some wins to go for the #8 seed.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ATLANTA (2A)
@ PHX, @LAV

CONNECTICUT (3H)
vs. DAL, vs. MIN, vs. LOS

DALLAS (1H, 2A)
@ CON, vs. LAV, @ SEA

LAS VEGAS (2H, 1A)
vs. NYL, @ DAL, vs. ATL

LOS ANGELES (1H, 2A)
vs. NYL, @ CON, @ WAS

MINNESOTA (2H, 1A)
vs. CHI, @ CON, vs. WAS

PHOENIX (2H)
vs. ATL, vs. NYL

SEATTLE (2H)
vs. NYL, vs. DAL

WASHINGTON (1H, 2A)
@ IND, vs. LOS, @ MIN

So how does the seeding end up? I see Seattle locking in the #1 seed against NY and resting Bird vs. Dallas. Dallas gets it's act together and beats Vegas on Friday. Minnesota loses out. Atlanta & Washington finish tied, but Atlanta holds the tiebreaker.

1. Seattle 25-9
2. Atlanta 23-11
3. Washington 23-11
4. Connecticut 21-13
5. Phoenix 20-14
6. Los Angeles 19-15
7. Minnesota 17-17
8. Dallas 16-18
9. Las Vegas 14-20

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playoffs

FIRST ROUND
#5 Phoenix def. #8 Dallas
#6 Los Angeles def. #7 Minnesota

SECOND ROUND
#6 Los Angeles def. #3 Washington
#4 Connecticut def. #5 Phoenix

SEMIFINALS
#1 Seattle def. #6 Los Angeles 3-1
#4 Connecticut def. #2 Atlanta 3-2

WNBA FINALS
#1 Seattle def. #4 Connecticut 3-1

Randy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As good a forecast as any. It looks to me like 3 seed should be avoided at all cost because they will either have to play Dallas or Phoenix. I'd hate to play either one, but most likely it would be Phoenix. 4th is no prize either LA - or MN. Most likely LA.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut of all teams beating Taurasi in a single elimination game? I'll eat a cauliflower if that happens.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In some ways, the single-elimination format favors Minnesota, because the Lynx only need two good games from their vets to advance. A younger team would have an advantage over a longer series, but for one night, who wants to play the Lynx?

And to a certain extent, same with the Sparks, as to me, their key player is Alana Beard. When she plays well, that's a solid group; when she struggles, they're a player short.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Connecticut of all teams beating Taurasi in a single elimination game? I'll eat a cauliflower if that happens.

Yeah i agree. I heard a commentator saying something about a record of Taurasi in elimination games/do or die games in the playoffs.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if I'm the only one on this board who believes the Aces will nudge out the Wings for the final playoff spot ?

toad455

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one on this board who believes the Aces will nudge out the Wings for the final playoff spot ?

It basically comes down to their game against each other on Friday. If Liz is back, u think the Wings win.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

It basically comes down to their game against each other on Friday. If Liz is back, u think the Wings win.

If Bill can't out coach Taj then Bill needs to hang up his whistle and start using that fishing rod for retirement he was given as a Christmas present. By the way Bill, I'm a big Irish fan from the late 1960's so don't think I'm Anti-Bill Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

If Bill can't out coach Taj then Bill needs to hang up his whistle and start using that fishing rod for retirement he was given as a Christmas present. By the way Bill, I'm a big Irish fan from the late 1960's so don't think I'm Anti-Bill Laughing

Bill shouldn't want to win. Why give up a great lottery pick that will put them in great shape for years to come.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Bill shouldn't want to win. Why give up a great lottery pick that will put them in great shape for years to come.

You reall think there's that much difference between #4 and #5?

PostPosted: 08/13/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Playoffs

FIRST ROUND
#5 Phoenix def. #8 Dallas
#6 Los Angeles def. #7 Minnesota

SECOND ROUND
#6 Los Angeles def. #3 Washington
#4 Connecticut def. #5 Phoenix

SEMIFINALS
#1 Seattle def. #6 Los Angeles 3-1
#4 Connecticut def. #2 Atlanta 3-2

WNBA FINALS
#1 Seattle def. #4 Connecticut 3-1

I know it's too easy to just go with the higher seed every time, but Washington looks awfully good to me. That's pretty optimistic for LA.

Atlanta still looks tough to me, even without McCoughtry.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Vegas would probably have the second best odds of #1 if they were to miss the playoffs.
But....
What nobody seems to understand is this is a deep first round draft, not particularly top heavy. Nobody agrees who should be the #1 pick. It’s crazy to prefer being in this lottery over being in the playoffs with all the excitement and extra revenue that comes with it. Plus you never know if your team can win the championship unless you’re in the playoffs. Look at Indy in 2012. They weren’t supposed to win the East, and they definitely weren’t supposed to win it all. Sampson slated Goliath with Reeve’s help.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ROY from the 2019 class comes from the middle of the round, although the higher picks usually do get the better opportunity to succeed.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

But they'd be statistically favourites for #2. You're the one who keeps all the records - isn't there a pretty significant difference in the expected return from a #2 pick to the expected return from a #5?

It's one of those rare situations where the two-year thing slightly encourages tanking. The benefit to falling just short of the playoffs is potentially greater than it would be under the old one-year lottery system.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

But they'd be statistically favourites for #2. You're the one who keeps all the records - isn't there a pretty significant difference in the expected return from a #2 pick to the expected return from a #5?

It's one of those rare situations where the two-year thing slightly encourages tanking. The benefit to falling just short of the playoffs is potentially greater than it would be under the old one-year lottery system.

But this year is different. Let's assume Ionescu does come out ...

Teams that need posts

Brown
McCowan

Teams that need wings

Durr
KLS
Arike

Teams that need a point

Ionescu

Next year

Lauren Cox
Jackie Young
?

Even if you shift Ionescu to 2020, No. 5 this year looks a lot better than No. 4 next year.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I think we lose , ive been trying to stay quiet on the fred firing since it became official but the timing could not have been worse . Team chemistry is most likely out the window for the season and i see us bowing out in the 1st rd. ALTHOUGH we do have the capability to make a semi-final run , but losing our coach towards the end might have took the steam out of us. Friday should still be electric in college park !

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Even if you shift Ionescu to 2020, No. 5 this year looks a lot better than No. 4 next year.

Which is utterly irrelevant to the conversation at hand, especially considering Vegas won't want to be back down there again, and wouldn't have the assistance of the terrible 2017 record for the two-year lottery system.

And I don't care how deep the draft pool is, or how supposedly even across the top prospects - take a look back and find me a draft where the #2 team would've happily swapped for #5. That's a big gap in any draft (plus, of course, they'd have the second-best chance at #1).

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Which is utterly irrelevant to the conversation at hand, especially considering Vegas won't want to be back down there again, and wouldn't have the assistance of the terrible 2017 record for the two-year lottery system.

And I don't care how deep the draft pool is, or how supposedly even across the top prospects - take a look back and find me a draft where the #2 team would've happily swapped for #5. That's a big gap in any draft (plus, of course, they'd have the second-best chance at #1).

If we're talking about drafts where the #5 pick turned out better than the #2 pick, for sure 2003, 2005, and 2009. Maybe 2007, 2011 (mostly because the #2 pick rarely came to the states), 2012.

Problem is, those are mostly close calls while the counter examples include Sylvia Fowles vs Matee Ajavon, Cappie Pondexter vs Lisa Willis, and Elena Delle Donne vs Kelsey Bone.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I think we lose , ive been trying to stay quiet on the fred firing since it became official but the timing could not have been worse . Team chemistry is most likely out the window for the season and i see us bowing out in the 1st rd. ALTHOUGH we do have the capability to make a semi-final run , but losing our coach towards the end might have took the steam out of us. Friday should still be electric in college park !

Taking the steam out of Dallas might be a good thing and reverse their 8 game losing streak. Just saying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: