RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

EDD: I want it to be better for the next generation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/18 8:57 am    ::: EDD: I want it to be better for the next generation Reply Reply with quote

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/elena-delle-donne-now-a-wnba-vet-is-ready-to-make-herself-heard-i-want-it-to-be-better-for-the-next-generation-20180724.html

Quote:
The WNBA is taking some steps to expand its visibility, such as hiring brand consultant group Sylvain Labs to evaluate the league’s marketing strategy. Chicago Sky owner Michael Alter said in June that the league expects to create a more comprehensive long-term marketing plan by this winter

PostPosted: 07/24/18 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA games are not shown in favor of more than just summer league games. They lose out to re-runs. Free Agent Fever, a Western Conference Finals game from 2016. You name it. Somthing to mention to Silver anytime he complains about WNBA coverage.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/24/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said this repeatedly, but a second TV partner for the league would greatly boost their visibility.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/24/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I've said this repeatedly, but a second TV partner for the league would greatly boost their visibility.

The question remains, though, whether showing WNBA games would generate enough viewership to produce enough advertising to make a profit.

If so, then TV networks might show an interest, but ESPN and NBA-TV would have to be willing to go along.

PostPosted: 07/24/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The question remains, though, whether showing WNBA games would generate enough viewership to produce enough advertising to make a profit.

If so, then TV networks might show an interest, but ESPN and NBA-TV would have to be willing to go along.

I doubt very seriously they would be willing to do that especially ESPN. They have a contract that pays the WNBA to televise a certain amount of WNBA games. Most if not all the teams have local tv coverage. I think the main problem is that The WNBA is in the summer time just like baseball. Both locally and nationally MLB takes precedent over the WNBA which sucks. I live in Phoenix and the game between the Lynx and the Mercury did not come on either of the regional fox sports channels. Both stations showed the Arizona Diamondbacks.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/25/18 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
I think the main problem is that The WNBA is in the summer time just like baseball. Both locally and nationally MLB takes precedent over the WNBA which sucks. I live in Phoenix and the game between the Lynx and the Mercury did not come on either of the regional fox sports channels. Both stations showed the Arizona Diamondbacks.

I think it would be an even bigger problem if the WNBA played at another time. In the summer, baseball is all they have to compete with; any other time and it would be men's basketball, hockey, and often either football or baseball going up against them. Personally, I like to have one more thing to watch now than I would at any other time of the year.

It is true that during the summer, people are less likely to watch sports on TV because they're doing things outside, and might not be so keen on being indoors to watch a game live for the same reason. But I think it's still best for the WNBA to be in the summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: