RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What to Expect at All-Star Game?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 07/22/18 12:23 pm    ::: What to Expect at All-Star Game? Reply Reply with quote

So I have my all-star tickets and am so excited to finally get to go to this game! Are there other activities besides the game? Have there been at past all-star games? Are there chances to get autographs?

Any folks here coming to Minneapolis?

This is such a fun season. So many great players on different teams, and I really don’t know who might win it all. It is a terrific time to see the all-star game.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't been to an All Star game since 2007 in Washington. The highlight of the non-game activities that year was the RebKell dinner. I still have the commemorative t-shirt from that. Laughing

Then they had the skills challenge and the open practice. That was the year of the BE Tour, a traveling fitness thing for girls and women.

The only other game I made it to was 2001 in Orlando. They were still doing the Summer Jam then, with all kinds of music and activities all day outside the arena.

I was supposed to be at the 2005 game in Mohegan, but things happened.

For me, the best part of the ASG is getting to meet and talk to fans from across the country.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't the All Star game the "Final Four" experience for the WNBA fans? The FINALS is a local thing.
What is needed to grow this game experience at All Star that will attract season ticket holders from all teams?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:
Why isn't the All Star game the "Final Four" experience for the WNBA fans? The FINALS is a local thing.
What is needed to grow this game experience at All Star that will attract season ticket holders from all teams?

If it were a real basketball game, it would help ... but a glorified pickup game -- and not that much glorifying -- isn't quite like the Final Four.

PostPosted: 07/24/18 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:

I haven't been to the Final Four since 2004, so it is more or less the same to me.

One thing might be to announce the date and location earlier. We already know where and when the Final Four will be in 2019 and 2020. We know the places and dates of the NBA All Star game out to 2021. The W sometimes doesn't announce the location until May, and we're often guessing the date by the open weekend in the schedule. It's not always possible to plan a big weekend event without more notice.

PostPosted: 07/24/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have made the suggestion that the winning team gets paid more. It worked when I played. The league is considering it.
I agree that the location and date need to be communicated earlier.
What else would draw our fans? A large season tix holder party? With players attending?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/24/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:
I have made the suggestion that the winning team gets paid more. It worked when I played. The league is considering it.
I agree that the location and date need to be communicated earlier.
What else would draw our fans? A large season tix holder party? With players attending?

Sure would draw me to an ASG from Dallas.

PostPosted: 07/24/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I attended a charity reception cocktail party in Phoenix. It was 300.00 per person with a limited amount of tickets sold and all of the players had to attend. It was great to mingle with the players. Some came early, others came right before they were announced, but all were there. Great time. I'd love to see them do something like that again.

I love the idea of a Final Four type event. It would definitely draw the casual fan.

We're headed to Minny on Thursday.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/24/18 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The three point contest participants have been announced;

Allie Quigley (defending champ)
Jewel Loyd
Kayla McBride
Kelsey Mitchell
Kristi Toliver
Renee Montgomery

Surprised no Lynx player to represent the host. Zandalasini?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The three point contest participants have been announced;

Allie Quigley (defending champ)
Jewel Loyd
Kayla McBride
Kelsey Mitchell
Kristi Toliver
Renee Montgomery

Surprised no Lynx player to represent the host. Zandalasini?

It's a curious group all the way around. Where's the league leader in 3P%? Why is her teammate here instead?

PostPosted: 07/24/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyd is shooting 33%, Mitchell 35%, Toliver 36%, Montgomery 37%, McBride 41%, Quigley 44%. Top three in the league aren't included: Plum, Mosqueda-Lewis & E. Prince. Rolling Eyes

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/24/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Loyd is shooting 33%, Mitchell 35%, Toliver 36%, Montgomery 37%, McBride 41%, Quigley 44%. Top three in the league aren't included: Plum, Mosqueda-Lewis & E. Prince. Rolling Eyes

And Plum is local ...

PostPosted: 07/24/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
toad455 wrote:

And Plum is local ...

Plum is local to Minneapolis?

PostPosted: 07/24/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Which players would you remove to make space for those 3? And how do you convince them to actually come to the ASG to participate in a contest?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/24/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm have 3 players in the top 10 of 3p % (KML. Clark and Bird). Bird participated last season already. So why not Clark and KML? Probably not considered as key players for the Storm? But Renee Montgomery is Confused Or was it easier and cheaper because Loyd is already in the ASG

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/24/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's usually picked by who's already there. This results in McBride over Plum, Loyd over KML, Toliver over Prince.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless players are actually in the game, they often can't be assed with the All-Star weekend. Several may have turned down 3pt-contest invites. It's a nice few days off if you're not involved.

PostPosted: 07/24/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Or the player who led the league last year in 3 pt% Chelsea Gray...not too shabby right now at 41%. She started out slow but is hitting her stride about now.

~rAf
RP

PostPosted: 07/24/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Volume matters as well...

pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA and its fans are ready for a bigger, better All-Star Weekend

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24185805/wnba-fans-ready-bigger-better-all-star-weekend

Quote:
The league finalizes the activities schedule -- which wasn't made public until last Thursday, nine days before the game.

PostPosted: 07/25/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the All-Star game in 2002, in DC. There were activities for fans -- shooting, autographs by players, a Fleer booth announcing the new card set. This was Bird's rookie year. The ticket holders were able to attend the practice, but I don't recall if all the outside events (autographs, shooting games, etc) were for ticket holders only.

I remember it was warm and all the events were outside. Katie Douglas was shooting hoops with kids and had her jeans legs pulled up to her knees to try and cool off.

Sue Bird was at the Fleer booth and I waited in line for an hour before they opened so I could get her autograph and a photo (gotta find that pic!). Sheryl Swoops, Katie Smith, Stacey Dales (not yet Schuman - who played for hometown Mystics), Sue, Katie Douglas (when she wasn't playing!), Asjha Jones were all at stations signing autographs. Probably others too - I just can't recall all of the players.

Robin Roberts was there covering the event (before GMA) and signing autographs for those of us who happened upon her.

And of course, LOTS of booths with merchandise sales. I got my Sue Bird Storm jersey there...how many versions of the jersey ago was that? (4, I think?)

It was great fun, and the game was close. Lisa Leslie got MVP -- although I really thought Tina Thompson should have!

It continues to amaze me that LA has not hosted an All-Star game. I wish the league did more to promote itself...when I was a Sacramento SSH the players often made local appearances. Not sure that happens much anymore anywhere.

I love the WNBA -- for all it's flaws and faults -- and have followed since it started. My team folded, I moved from Bay area to Memphis to OC in SoCal, and have gone to as many games as I could manage. Not nearly enough to suit me, but one does what one can!

For all of you able to attend, I hope this game and the weekend experience is a great one. I'll be sitting TV-side, enjoying it along with you.

Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 07/25/18 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The weather forecast is partly cloudy and 77. Sounds like a perfect day, which is kind of rare around here. It’s usually “too” something: cold, hot, snowy, rainy, windy and especially humid in the summer.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mmaniac

PostPosted: 07/25/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait to experience 77 degrees. It's 95 at 5am here. Caune, Huskie and Mb1 will all be embracing the cool weather.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:

Maybe something like Tourney Town, with a variety of events for all ages, would make the ASG a better experience.

Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:53 pm    ::: Get All Players There Reply Reply with quote

Even players who aren’t chosen should get paid to come and do autographs and activities or to just mingle.

Bring in all the mascots for kids! Those folks are talented.

Sneakers are a big deal. Get the big sneaker companies to come show their stuff! Have a sort of sneaker and athletic-wear fashion show.

Don’t all teams do cute or cool videos with players? Have a little promo film festival so we can see the players from all teams and the work the pr staff does for each team.

Make sure every city that hosts the all-star game gives the experience lots of local color. Let that city brag up what makes it amazing! Get tourism involved. Let all the other cities have a display somewhere about their city. Get our WNBA cities some love.

You know, I went to our local Pride festival in the Twin Cities and, while I realize that is on a scale much larger than a WNBA all-star game, they bring in hundreds of sponsors and booths and vendors. There was a whole huge section of just pet stuff. Sure GLBTQ folks own pets, but that section and others have really nothing to do with the original purpose of Pride. The folks running things really just invited everyone to make their stuff about Pride and join in. It seems to me that our celebration of the WNBA could learn from that and invite businesses and charities to join in. Not on such a huge scale, but make the scope of the event a broader celebration. Make it also about women in sports writ large?

Local colleges should get to promote their women’s basketball teams.

That’s all I have for now. I just think the league is missing a huge opportunity here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: