WNBA-NBA wage gap is about economics, not gender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerVol

PostPosted: 07/23/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
I don’t buy the “worse product” line. People will watch all levels of a sport, even if those different levels can’t compete.

March madness makes over a billion dollars every year. More than the NFL playoffs. The G league would run over the March Madness winner too. Yet, guess what is more popular.

In some areas of the country, HIGH SCHOOL football, is the most popular sport. Again, college and professionals would run over those teams.

So why does it matter with the WNBA? This idea that it isn’t popular because players from different leagues would beat up on the WNBA doesn’t quite fit..

Same sport different products IMO.

I watch very little NBA because I don't like clear out one on one style that is played by many teams.

It is arguably the best men's league with the most athletic talent.

I'll take men's ncaa every day given the choice. I'll take wnba given the choice. Personal preference.

There are plenty of college ball (men's or women's bball or football) in who don't follow the pro game. There are pro fans that don't follow the college game.

If you are a huge fan of the one on one spectacular aspect of the NBA vs team ball (ie hate the way the spurs historically play as plenty of NBA fans do)... You aren't apt to care for the Wnba on the basis of how the game is played...

This may all be true, but it also completely ignores the point of @mercfan3's post, which is that the reason many of the WNBA's more vocal critics cite for not watching is because the WNBA is a "worse" product, compared to the NBA. An argument which, I agree, doesn't hold up to logical scrutiny. You and others preferring the NCAA to the NBA for aesthetic and stylistic reasons doesn't change the fact that the NBA is objectively better than the NCAA. But, among those who prefers the NBA to the NCAA, nobody ever, ever cites "worse product" as a reason why.

Same goes for the point that @mercfan3 made about high school football. There are several reasons why someone might prefer high school football to college football, or college football to the NFL, but you know what one of those reasons isn't? It isn't because high school football is objectively better than college football, or because college football is objectively better than the NFL.

And those are two examples where it is way easier to make an apples-to-apples comparison than it is to compare men's basketball and women's basketball. Like, you can tell me that you don't like the NBA because you don't like the clear out, one-on-one style, and that's totally valid. What you can't tell me is that you like college basketball more than the NBA because college basketball is better, because that's objectively, provably false. By any measure, other than personal taste (which is subjective), the NBA is better. And so is the G-League. But the G-League isn't even a blip on the radar compared to college basketball, which is how you know that people saying that they don't watch the WNBA because it's not as good are full of shit.

You are assuming the vocal internet posters represent the majority of the potential audience and thus the root cause of limited popularity.

I am making the assumption they do not.

I agree those who post the negative are driven almost exclusively by gender or some other bias and further think they are a minority who will not change.

I have never heard those arguments face to face though I know those comments are posted by real people.

Yet as I posted in another thread I have very few friends or co-workers who are Interested in investing their time or money in the league.

They aren't anti women in sports or somehow self loathing they either a) have other priorities competing for their time including other sports they folliw b) don't like sports. I guarantee none would spend a second posting a Comment.

Again people choose to follow a sport or league (or not) for a multitude of reasons.

For some objectively the best may matter.

For others the overall experience comes into play. I know plenty of peoe who are freaks about college football but don't follow the NFL.

I know peoole who are freaks about their wcbb team but at best follow their favorite player in the wnba - and though I live my wcbb the wnba is light years "better."

To me the vocal anti wnba critics are at the bottom of the list of who the league needs to grow... Plenty of others out there who aren't following for reasons other than bias.

PostPosted: 07/23/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
If we are basing this argument for increased pay on percentages to revenue (like the men) isn’t it simply making max deals $250K and minimum salary at $70K?

How about paying all players a base equal to a living wage for 12 months, so they wouldn't have to go overseas just to pay for their toothpaste and socks, recognizing that they are required to live in the most expensive areas in the country for 5+ months of the year, with the league providing annual health insurance. Then give individual increases over the base equal to negotiated percentages of the team's profits. Of course, this would require all teams open their books to the league's accountants and that the league have some oversight over teams' fiscal practices.

Players won't get rich, but they won't have to spend half the year in Timbuktu, and their pay will be tied to performance and revenue, as it should be.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/23/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
PRballer wrote:
If we are basing this argument for increased pay on percentages to revenue (like the men) isn’t it simply making max deals $250K and minimum salary at $70K?

How about paying all players a base equal to a living wage for 12 months, so they wouldn't have to go overseas just to pay for their toothpaste and socks, recognizing that they are required to live in the most expensive areas in the country for 5+ months of the year, with the league providing annual health insurance. Then give individual increases over the base equal to negotiated percentages of the team's profits. Of course, this would require all teams open their books to the league's accountants and that the league have some oversight over teams' fiscal practices.

Players won't get rich, but they won't have to spend half the year in Timbuktu, and their pay will be tied to performance and revenue, as it should be.

hmmm. All of these players earn way more with their W salary than the medium yearly income in my area. And they get a lot of extra perks, many living for free in apartments provided by their teams, so mostly they're just paying for food and even some of that is provided. Hopefully the reason they play overseas is to save money for their post-basketball years, not to buy toothpaste.

- Amanda Gorman
josephkramer44

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players won't get rich, but they won't have to spend half the year in Timbuktu, and their pay will be tied to performance and revenue, as it should be.[/quote]

Having spent serious time in this region of the world I am skeptical of the future of women's basketball in Northern Mali/Niger. The region has been awash in weaponry since the fall of Gaddafi and the Tuareg rebellion has only been put on the back burner and none of the underlying reasons for the rebellion have been properly addressed. Not to mention most of the most important historical sites in Timbuktu were destroyed in the past few years during the fighting.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think -- and I mean that and make no further claim -- that "quality of play" isn't as much the issue as "style of play."

For example, I can barely watch men's college basketball. It's grindingly slow, in part because of the longer shot clock, and the way coaches dominate play frustrates me. I love the NBA, which many people cannot stand, because of the way it's played.

Am I right and the others wrong? Of course not. I like vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and can't stand mint chip ... same concept at work.

Now when we come to gender roles and attitudes, no doubt that has a major impact on the perception and popularity of women's sports -- but among potential viewers who are not driven away (or driven toward) women's sports because of that, there are still those who will prefer a different style of play.

But changing gender roles and attitudes is a different task than negotiating a CBA -- and a far more important one, obviously -- but the CBA is a business proposition that has to do with the brute facts of economics.

Sure, the owners are cooking the books (they always do), but in this case, the players' threat to strike is pretty empty, as it would likely kill the league.

So yes, the players deserve more (maybe $20,000? but who knows) but they are unlikely to get it because of their weak negotiating position. Which leads to the obvious conclusion that the players need to improve their negotiating position, but I'm not sure I see how that can be done.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 07/23/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
You are assuming the vocal internet posters represent the majority of the potential audience and thus the root cause of limited popularity.

I am making the assumption they do not.

Actually, you're incorrectly assuming that I formed any part of my opinion based on "vocal internet posters," though I'm not sure why. I certainly hope that you don't think that I've come by that opinion without having spoken to people who believe that in real life? I'm not even sure why you would word it like that, unless you were planning to mischaracterize and minimize my statements as 'merely' me repeating something I read on the internet, as a means to dismiss it.

As to the general sentiment of my post, well, I guess that we're at an impasse, then, because I stand behind what I said. I reckon that one of us has to be wrong, but I don't know of a reasonable way to accurately test the hypothesis. Do you?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/23/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Using lower level of play as a reason not to be interested in the WNBA is most definitely a valid excuse.

As you may have guessed from my screen name, I'm from the New York City area. New York is a solidly pro-sports town. That isn't to say that there are no college fans, but there aren't enough to genuinely support a team at a level the teams elsewhere in the country enjoy.

The New York metropolitan area fields at least two professional sports teams in every major men's sport, including soccer. Pro sports are a very big deal here.

Who's NY's college football team? Rutgers? Don't mean to disrespect my alma mater, but c'mon--you pretty much have to subscribe to Big 10 Network to watch them play in anything but a bowl game or against a Top 25 team. They also play pretty far away from the city now that they no longer play games in the Meadowlands.

Even if Rutgers somehow became competitive, they would still receive very little attention. The Giants and Jets rule in New York. The headlines would read something like "Odell Beckham starts gluten-free diet," and then, in the bottom right hand of the page, a tiny caption: "Rutgers wins NCAA Championship." Smile

Basketball is a little better, with teams like St. John's and Seton Hall, but again, the Knicks and Nets rule the town. It's not even close.

I have a few circles of friends who are sports fans, and they nearly all conform to this way of thinking. Ask one of them why he prefers the pro game, and he will most likely respond with something like "I like watching the game being played at the highest level possible by the best players."

I fall right in line with that way of thinking. I used to watch a little more college sports, but last year, I watched the NCAA football championship game, and about 30 minutes game time of the Rutgers football season. I do not believe I watched a minute of college sports besides that. I watch nearly every minute of my favorite pro sports teams, on the other hand, and follow the entire NFL with an insatiable appetite.

The same argument my friends and I use to explain our lack of interest in college sports is also used to explain their lack of interest in the WNBA. And in the past, I used the same argument. I hang out with a bunch of people who are extremely progressive on equality issues, so that's not in play here at all.

I have no idea why I broke out of this mold and became a Liberty fan. It doesn't fit in with anything else about me as a sports fan. But I just happened to tune in early in the season a few years ago and admired how the Liberty played. Hard nosed defense, the incredibly well-rounded game of Tina Charles (I love power forwards), and promising rookie Kiah Stokes to make the defense even better and make the future look bright. In short, they gave me everything the Knicks hadn't given me for several years, at a time where there was nothing else going on sports-wise but baseball (which is not a knock on baseball, but a little variety is nice).

I found the Liberty really likeable, and developed a rooting interest that has grown stronger each year. Love the team, love the players. Not that this has made the slightest difference with my friends. They look at me like I have two heads any time I talk about the Liberty, generally turning my own words about liking to watch the best players against me. And you know what? I have nothing to say. I totally understand the sentiment, because I felt that way myself for a whole bunch of years (and still generally feel that way; my interest college sports has not increased).

So no, not all people who use lower level of play as a reason not to watch the WNBA are full of crap, as one poster suggested. My friends aren't. And I wasn't.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/23/18 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
You have younger amateur players (not as nasty and cocky) affiliated with colleges (alma maters) in one and not the other.

The few people I do know who prefer college to pros usually cite this as their reason for doing so, and that nicely explains the lack of popularity in both the NBA's development league and the WNBA.

The fans who like to watch the "best players" favor the pro men's sports, and none of the lesser leagues. The fans who appreciate the youthful exuberance and college atmosphere choose that over the pros, regardless of level. That doesn't leave much for the WNBA and men's minor league pro sports.

YlwJckt999

PostPosted: 07/25/18 12:05 am    ::: G-Leauge, Big3 and TBT Reply Reply with quote

I still maintain that if the G-league (similar attendance/ratings with higher pay) is just a cost of doing business for NBA then the same investment should be put into the W. G-league greater pay, greater game coverage, better presentation.. greater product.

What is also interesting is that the Big3 has better game coverage and higher pay for 2nd rate/non-stars/role players/bench rider retirees. The popularity can't be attributed to high flying above the rim athletic play. The games are filled with layups, air balls, hacks and misses. This type of game is more popular than women players in their prime? Rolling Eyes

Don't get me started on the TBT.

For what it's worth-I'll be happy if the W would upgrade their website and fix the inconsistencies with of the LeaguePass app. Idea Confused

Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/25/18 6:23 am    ::: Re: G-Leauge, Big3 and TBT Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
I still maintain that if the G-league (similar attendance/ratings with higher pay) is just a cost of doing business for NBA then the same investment should be put into the W. G-league greater pay, greater game coverage, better presentation.. greater product.

What is also interesting is that the Big3 has better game coverage and higher pay for 2nd rate/non-stars/role players/bench rider retirees. The popularity can't be attributed to high flying above the rim athletic play. The games are filled with layups, air balls, hacks and misses. This type of game is more popular than women players in their prime? Rolling Eyes

Don't get me started on the TBT.

For what it's worth-I'll be happy if the W would upgrade their website and fix the inconsistencies with of the LeaguePass app. Idea Confused

The popularity of the Big3 has to do with fact they have some former NBA and college stars that already have established fanbases.

craigmont

PostPosted: 07/25/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even NBA players recognize the elite skill level of most WNBA players. It's not worse, it's just a different style because of physical size. When I go to watch the Storm, I know I am watching the best in the world at what they do.

Just because the floor is not full of 6' 10" freaks who can jump over the backboard doesn't mean it's not top-level basketball.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/25/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Even NBA players recognize the elite skill level of most WNBA players.

But the overwhelming majority of the sports-viewing public does not.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/25/18 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The smart thing for this league right now is to either pay the refs more or pay more attention to the hiring process to officiate. Something has to change on this topic as well.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally prefer watching college basketball over professional for the men. For the women, it is really hard to find either on TV, so I watch what I can. We will be on the road a lot this year following my daughter’s team, so it will be harder to see other games.

The problem with the WNBA, as I see it, is that it is on in the summer. Here in Minnesota, our summers are look forward to for eight months and then appreciated when they are here. It is hard to justify taking time from the absolutely gorgeous weather to watch an indoor basketball game. I have League Pass on my phone, but the inconsistent quality of the app is frustrating. Having to reload and “re-purchase” it every single time I want to watch a game makes me want to pull my hair out. And then when I finally get it up, it tells me the game is blacked out in my area, even if it is being played in New York....

The NBA should treat the WNBA as a loss leader to get women fans. Yes, it could also increase men’s fans a little bit too. After I took my 22 yr old son to a couple Lynx games, he is now very interested in the W, and when I talk about them now and will sit down and watch a game with me. He used to put the women’s sports down, saying they are not as good as the men’s. Now he appreciates their skill a little more (especially his sisters’ team...)

Shades

PostPosted: 07/26/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

I have League Pass on my phone, but the inconsistent quality of the app is frustrating. Having to reload and “re-purchase” it every single time I want to watch a game makes me want to pull my hair out.

I think they may have finally fixed that with the latest update. You shouldn’t have been re-purchasing. You just needed to log out and log back in.

One other quirk I have with the app is that I would lose audio whenever I would put the game in the background, and then when I go back to the game, I couldn’t retrieve the audio. The only way I could get the audio back is to close and reopen the app. Hopefully that is fixed with the latest update. Nothing like having to wait until the season is almost over to fix all the app bugs.

[edit: Just checked for the audio bug. Still not fixed for me. Does anybody else have the same problem?)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/26/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

League pass has been awesome for me , I purchased a google chromecast so i can play from my phone to my 60 inch . Great product !

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every time I try to watch a game on league Pass, it tells me that I have not purchased a subscription yet and then it take me to the purchase screen. It goes through all the steps and tells me that I have to repurchase it but the price is zero. A few times, I have also had to delete the app and reinstall it. Three times so far this season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Every time I try to watch a game on league Pass, it tells me that I have not purchased a subscription yet and then it take me to the purchase screen. It goes through all the steps and tells me that I have to repurchase it but the price is zero. A few times, I have also had to delete the app and reinstall it. Three times so far this season.

That's bizarre. I've had no issues this season (except when I've been in places with crappy wifi, which I can hardly blame on the WNBA). I'd contact customer support and see what they have to say.

It does have a weird thing where if I follow my bookmark to the League Pass console it re-directs to the League Pass front page, but then if I follow the same bookmark again it'll connect to the console properly. That's a little silly, but not enough to complain or worry about.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

I have that issue on my iPad and they told me it is "a known bug with the iOS version of the app" and just to logout and log back in. I've been doing that, but Shades says they have an update that may have fixed it and there was an update available when I checked today. Time will tell if it has fixed it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: